jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

How do you approach a problem?

1. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

How do you approach a problem?

What are some of the tricks or tactics that you use to solve problems that you may face? Do you have tips on how to prevent problems in general? Feel free to expand this question in your answers!

2. msorensson profile image73
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

If you ask the right question, then the answer would be evident immediately and can be tested and proven unequivocally Trust yourself.

3. krosch profile image61
    kroschposted 6 years ago

One of the best things I can say is don't push it off on other people. Even if the problem isn't your fault or is the result of someone else's insert adjective here, laziness, stupidity, ignorance, or whatever. Take a deep breath and look at how you can fix the problem first, and make it your own. Take back your own power to control the situation and personally while I don't think everyone needs to do this. I have gotten rid of the word fair from my vocab. Don't worry so much about fair and worry more about effective, solving things, and getting stuff done in a way that helps you and everyone else involved that you want to help.

Do what you can to solve any problem and do anything you want that affects your own life. This outlook allows me to be far more productive, helpful, and successful in life I believe.

4. Joelipoo profile image81
    Joelipooposted 6 years ago

Problems are bound to happen no matter what.  Some things we can avoid by good planning and awareness, but other things are unpreventable.  One of the most important tricks to solving problems is thought.  It's crucial to think things out and not just make a quick decision.

5. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

The process is a spiral approach. You circle the problem, examining it from different perspectives, probing it, accumulating information about it. Once you have a full picture, then and only then should you start to devise your range of solutions. You seek out advice from people whose judgment and experience you respect, weigh the various options, choose one, and put it into practice.

Most problems, of course, are too small to justify the investment of time and effort that approach entails. You deal with them quickly, as they arise, and if the solution your immediate instinct dictates is less than ideally effective, you don't care. The problem wasn't big enough to worry about anyway.

6. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

A good trick is to pretend that it's someone else's problem, and then figure out the advice that they need to hear.

That part usually works great!  The trouble comes when following up on the advice requires will power.

7. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 6 years ago

I typically break the problem down into manageable chunks to prevent procrastination of a single, larger issue. I try to prevent problems by writing down my goals and a plan of action. But of course things still happen and you can't spend an excessive amount of time planning because you will miss out on life.

8. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

I like the bottom line, first, we will pick up the pieces later.

Suppose, the problem is the drinks coming from the kitchen are not cold enough.

Do we really need a new ice maker?   A fifty gallon ice chest?   A super duper sized ice scoop?    Bigger drinking glasses?

Perhaps, we could delay adding the ice.....

Perhaps, we could improve our delivery.

But, please, do not sugar coat the situtation with, " I know you are good manager, but some of our residents have mentioned a potentional issue, that, the corportate needs your help in finding a resoultion to:..................please, just say, " the drinks are not cold enough......do something!"

9. hoteltravel profile image70
    hoteltravelposted 6 years ago

I won't try to solve a problem, unless it is unavoidable, when I am agitated and not thinking clearly. Most of the times, my immediate reaction will be emotionally charged and may be wrong. Sleeping over the problem helps a lot. Once I understand the problem and its consequences, my next step would be to find all possible solutions. Then, it is simple matter of choosing the best out of it.

10. Mercia Collins profile image74
    Mercia Collinsposted 6 years ago

Do not roll problems up together, solve each bit separately. Think it through carefully and do not act first and think afterwards.

11. Tom Rubenoff profile image93
    Tom Rubenoffposted 6 years ago

When a problem occurs we can search for someone to blame, or we can get to work on solving it. read more

12. J.S.Matthew profile image83
    J.S.Matthewposted 5 years ago

When you have a problem at work or at home there are ways to deal the problem and the stress that comes with it. You can learn how to look at a problem and turn it into an Opportunity! read more

13. JamesGrantSmith profile image59
    JamesGrantSmithposted 4 years ago

I consider the problem, and then I brainstorm a solution.

So if the problem is my car has no petrol, the solution would be fill up with petrol, and to implement the solution would be taking the car to a petrol station.

working