Do you think the economy can be linked to increased instances of DUI and Divorce

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Do you think the economy can be linked to increased instances of DUI and Divorce?

2. junko profile image76
    junkoposted 6 years ago

Yes, the economy can also be linked to suicide,homicide, health, and mental problems.

3. GarrettLawGroup profile image35
    GarrettLawGroupposted 6 years ago

I haven't really thought of the connection between the economy and DUI cases. There may be some correlation; I think I recall reading of the high alcoholism rates during the depression era.

As far as the divorce rate, I'd direct you to a recent NBC report on the divorce rate falling:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/healt … 29519.html

JD Garrett

4. onegoodwoman profile image73
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Just perhaps...........DUI and
    Divorce, can be linked to the poor economy.

The " government" is breaking our working backs................

Americans are DROWNING ( booze) in their sorrows.

With breaking backs..............we will see broken marriages, families, systems........

5. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Sounds like a great set of hubs... all of you.  I wonder if the number of marriage is down too??? hmmm

6. ImKarn23 profile image77
    ImKarn23posted 6 years ago

Absolutely not....on the other hand, I because increased instances of DUI and Divorce can be linked directly to the economy!

7. d.william profile image71
    d.williamposted 6 years ago

There is probably some correlation between them, but if one looks hard enough we can find some kind of correlation between any social upheaval and the increase in DUI and Divorce rates.  Any kind of hardship that is thrust on society can cause multiple types of negative reactions.

8. Kebennett1 profile image60
    Kebennett1posted 6 years ago

I do NOT believe that the economy has anything at all to do with the increased instances of people driving under the influence. I do believe that that a lack of judgement and common sense however are.

On the other hand a link in the increase of divorce and the economy can be made. The stress of having more bills than money has always been a nightmare for marriages! There are not enough good paying jobs to be found anymore for the average person. Even college graduates are finding it hard to find work. People who have worked for decades at one job only to have their workplace shut down and every one get laid off are having a hard time finding jobs. Don't let anyone tell you age doesn't matter! My cousin was laid off from a paper mill 4 years ago, he is 49 and can't find a job! He was a common worker who made his way up the ladder to management. He finally gave up and has gone back to college for Computer Sciences. He and his wife have come very close to divorce. He was making over $40.00 an hr and now he get's unemployment which is only about a third of what he used to make! His wife had to get a job as a factory worker. Financial Stress in a marriage is a leading cause of divorce! http://ezinearticles.com/?Financial-Str … ;id=729793

9. Hubpage Gal profile image59
    Hubpage Galposted 6 years ago

davenmidtown, the economy is blamed on just about everything and divorce could very well be one because of the high unemployment rate.  However, it all boils down to how the couple can relate  to each other during their hard times that most marriages experience.

10. melodylewis80 profile image57
    melodylewis80posted 6 years ago

I don't know about DUI, but I've heard that the economy actually keeps people together.  They see that it's easier to financially stick together than it is to split up for emotional reasons.  I recently heard a report about it on NPR>

11. ib radmasters profile image59
    ib radmastersposted 6 years ago

It certainly doesn't help when people lose their jobs, and or their homes, DUI would just be one indication of increased drinking, and the increase could be the result of the depression caused by the economy, as well as both drinking and the economy can be stimulus for a divorce.

12. datavirtue profile image55
    datavirtueposted 6 years ago

This correlation has already been shown. To some that is proof, but people can believe whatever they want. I guess the answer to your question is: yes it can be linked. Showing a correlation is a link.

You could never garner the amount of resources needed to find proof of causation. What good would it do to prove causation?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)