jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

No more secrets? Good or bad?

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image85
    Slarty O'Brianposted 6 years ago

No more secrets? Good or bad?

No more secrets? Do you think that it would be a positive thing if we were all able to read each others minds? How would life change? Would it be a good thing or a bad thing, or both?

2. pstraubie48 profile image87
    pstraubie48posted 6 years ago

Probably would not be wonderful.
    If others could read my mind, it would be invasive to me. I would always have guarded thoughts and not have a chance to really analyze how I felt about something I was asked. The person would know as soon as I was asked..the answer would be right there, the 'elephant in the room' dangling before them.

I like it the way it is....so glad this isn't the case. I do not always say exactly what I am thinking if there is danger that I will cause needless or undue pain to another.

3. ZAS profile image61
    ZASposted 6 years ago

First I will say I believe that people should be one hundred percent truthful and be straight shooters when they do speak. They should say what they mean and mean what they say and they should say those things that are difficult to say if those things support what is right and serve some kind of purpose.  But there are too many thoughts we have that would serve no purpose to speak them.  Some thoughts are produced under the influence of emotions which we acknowledge to ourselves to be wrong later. Sometimes we have to find the words to say something to someone so that the truth does not sting so bad and what if they could just hear your initial thought? I believe that because of our imperfection it is a good thing that we were not created with the ability to read each others’ minds. I think there is a reason for that. If all of the sudden we could all read minds, it would be disastrous, a worldwide riot most likely.

4. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 6 years ago

Reading minds is a bit of a tricky issue in my opinion. Our minds are powerful things and so the mind which is doing the reading has to be as powerful (at least) or more powerful than the mind being read. Ortherwise, there could be problems.

I know some people are not ready to read minds because "they can't handle the truth"; it is quite obvious simply from many comments which I receive. Also, You can see that from other people's answers to your question here: people fear each other still ... and themselves. They talk about riots and hurting others ... The will must be stronger than that.

So to answer your question, if we all had enough will-power to be who we really are then, reading minds would actually become "normal"  (I so dislike that word but I can;t find another at the moment ...) but we're not fully there yet. The time will come though, when we we all find our way.

Thank You for the great question Mr. O'Brian and it's good to see You. I was thinking of You and "your" ravens just the other day. May Wakan Tanka walk with You.

5. d.william profile image62
    d.williamposted 6 years ago

I would have to say a resoundling negative.  If one person could read your thoughts then all others would be able to read (hear) the same thing.  Some of those lustful thoughts that i have had about another person, i would not want everyone else to hear, or even the person i was lusting over.   LOL.

6. Alastar Packer profile image83
    Alastar Packerposted 6 years ago

If a civilization were advanced enough to only use the power to better a situation, not to gain any advantage over another or gain secrets, then yes. We're not at that level yet on this planet. Through high technology its certainly possible though.

working