Iraq

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (32 posts)
  1. egiv profile image60
    egivposted 14 years ago

After todays bombing and other recent acts of terrorism, one is left wondering if the "Iraq problem" will just fade away like America wants it to... Thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No its not going to fade away. The problem is, whether or not its wrong or even acceptable to those of us in the west, that culture respects strength. Until someone rises to the occasion and consolidates power there is going to be instability and unrest.

Democracy just does not work in some places and cultures. The sooner this is understood the better off world affairs will be. We tried to impose our will and vision of government on this nation without ever really asking them what they wanted in the first place. Case in point Saddam was one man, amongst millions. he stayed in power because his people allowed him to.

Like it or not until the first gulf war Iraq was a very prosperous and modern nation, and one of the few in the region where religion was not allowed to control the gov't. Saddam was for all intents an atheist, worshiping himself as God. he did all he could to keep the clerics from rising to power and even refused to allow Bin Laden into his nation, as he saw him as a threat to his total power. There was no Al Queda in Iraq before 2003, at least that's the intelligence we uncovered while i was there.

1. tksensei profile image60
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I find that sentiment utterly offensive.

1. profile image0

I guess you'll get over it or wake up and realize the world is not the pretty place you hope it is. Some people do not want and will not accept democracy wake up!

Who told you Democracy was "pretty"?

2. tksensei profile image60
            1. profile image0

Well done I wondered if you'd notice a reference to your own past comments.

WAKE UP! YOU ARE TOO SLEEPY TO AGREE WITH MY GENERALIZATIONS (and perhaps even bigotry?)!!!!!OPEN YOUR EYES, THINK FOR YOURSELF, AND GROW UP!!!!!

RARRRAAARRRRRAAAAARRRRAAAAAAA!!!

2. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello Scott. You make some very good points.
        I wonder why America stood by while this despot built all his palaces.
        I cannot believe America did not know what he was doing all those years ago when he became "god" surely they should have stepped in then, when he was still accepted by the USA as the leader.

Do you really wonder why?

1. earnestshub profile image79
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have theories. smile What do you think?

3. tksensei profile image60

He stayed in power because he terrorized and brutally repressed 'his' people.

1. profile image0

He stayed in power because the masses refused to stand up for themselves and take unified action. Those who will not fight for their own freedom will never deserve it.The Iraqi people certainly have not had a problem standing up to the American occupation.

So all peoples who have ever suffered under a murderous tyrant had it coming?

4. profile image58
        C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You absolutely right on this. You can't view the Middle East through American eyes.....

1. rhamson profile image69
          rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YES, YES GET OUT NOW!!

2. sooner than later profile image60
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, it won't and sooner than later Iraq will not be our biggest problem.

2. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

egic, it certainly is food for thought. I believe the USA will be trying to get leverage from what Pakistan is doing, as it seems the Taliban are strongly based there.

I do not see an easy way to ease the ethnic violence in Iraq soon.

3. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

Im not sure what you mean by the Iraq problem.as a American  im not wanting to forget about the Iraqi people or their plight.  .The newest bombings have me wondering >For what? Why? Do the ones wanting to topple the government have a better one in mind. Who do they want to lead in Iraq? What do they want for the people of Iraq? From what i see they want death.From what i see they still want war and fear.We could stay and give them both.As we leave and violence continues  .America wont be easy to blame anymore. It is painfully obvious that we cant fix things.Im left wondering will the Iraqi people ever  be able to .

4. TimTurner profile image68
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

I think we need to realize that what we are doing in Iraq and Afghanistan is the future of U.S. military action.

Terrorism will always have its pockets around the world and the U.S. and Israel will always be the targets for most of the terrorists.

I do not care about Israel (that's another post) but for the U.S. to survive, we will have to take matters in our own hands to combat the terrorists.  Granted, Iraq didn't start as a terrorist haven but could be in the future.

The stability of Iraq is crucial for U.S. interests.

The same is for Afghanistan.  We do need to get countries like Pakistan to put a good amount of resources and troops to the cause and I'm glad they are doing that.

But, for the most part, U.S. troop will be used for the majority of the wars against terrorism.  And until Russia and China have terrorism problems originating outside of their countries, we can't expect them to help.

I don't think we need to build our armies against other nations anymore.  We will have a military to protect our homeland from terrorism.  And these little pockets of unrest and wars will be commonplace around the world.

I don't see anyway around that and we need to accept the new reality.

5. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

And the moment we don't have a military capable of defending against a hostile state guess what will happen?

1. TimTurner profile image68
      TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Russia and China know this but taking over the U.S. isn't in their interests.  The only 2 countries that would love to do that but don't have the power is North Korea and Iran.

But Russia and China know we are spread thin and couldn't defend against a homeland attack by either country.  But that is just not in their best interests, especially since we owe China trillions smile

Of course we could.

1. sooner than later profile image60
          sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We have major problems in Iraq because we want to establish democracy, reduce colateral damage and maintain our "police" status with world affairs.

Home security against Russia or China would be a diff ballgame. that among other things keeps them at bay for the moment.

Their own inability to project power also keeps them at bay.

2. TimTurner profile image68
          TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think we could with over half of our military all over the world.  But a deterrent would be nuclear weapons and that would be our main defense at this point.

But my point is that fighting small pockets of terrorism (and resistance in the future) will be our future enemies, not whole countries, unless their leaders are terrorists, like in Afghanistan.

6. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

There was a mistake to enter this war in the first place. When mistake is recognized, usually the most beneficial course of action is to cut loses short...

7. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

GET OUT NOW!!

YES, YES GET OUT NOW!!

8. egiv profile image60
    egivposted 14 years ago

Ok, trying to steer this away from becoming another petty tit-for-tat argument, I think there have been a lot of good points. I think the biggest problem is that we invaded, and by doing that we took a bat to a bee hive, creating a mess that we were barely able to understand, let alone combat. We destroyed the only thing that was holding the country together, even if it was doing this through fear and violence. We unleashed powerful, complex ethnic tensions that have deep historical roots.

We have absolutely made progress since then, but progress is only really measured in terms of how bad or less bad it is. As we saw yesterday, the country has not reached even the minimal level of stability that allows one to go outside without the fear of a bomb going off.

This is why I believe that we should not have pulled out from Iraq (I wrote a couple hubs on it) as much as we did, not because I want to "win" or kill "bad guys," but because we left it a mess, and it doesn't take a foreign policy expert to see that it is not going to get better just because America wills it to.

9. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Rhamson, the US is withdrawing and security is being handled by Iraqi's for Iraq. hmm they tear themselves apart not US or their allies.

Whether they tear themselves apart or not is their business.  Let them figure this out for themselves.  If they allow someone from within their country to attack us again then they along with their confederates will be dealt with.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)