Is marital law coming to america ?

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (109 posts)
  1. profile image52
    ZACHARIAHposted 14 years ago

will there be chaos in the streets of america soon?
    will we have another GREAT DEPRESSION in this country?

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What? Marital Law? It has been around for hundreds of years please clarify what you are asking, why would it cause another Great depression? The question honestly does not make any sense. smile

2. manlypoetryman profile image83
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

On what basis (other than your own uncontrollable fear) fear...do you write this?  HMMMM...not seeing a lot of replies from you on this topic that you started???

3. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Looks to be headed that way

2. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

What's wrong with being married?  People have done it for thousands of years.  Why should there be chaos in the street?

3. R P Chapman profile image61
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

yep, think you've always been allowed to get married there! big_smile

1. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yikes)

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I think the topic is suppose to be "Martial" Law coming to America.

Not marital laws. We already have those.

Martial Law is about power and control over citizens. It was being attempted by Springfield Police in Massachusetts, because of gang killings and illegal weapons on the streets.

Yes, chaos is going to continue to escalate even higher, very shortly.

I can even see a remote possibility of a 'civil war' coming, if things go too far. How that would come to be and who is going to be fighting against who is up for anyone's guess. Citizens against citizens or citizens against government?

But it is a remote possibility.

5. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

Why would you need martial law in a nation of sheep and whiners? yikes

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For the lust of it

I just fell off the back of my tractor from laughing so hard...That is exactly the truth. Well said.

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

And I have sheep in my Hub Picture! Nice! I don't think I need Martial Law. Cheers, Scott! ;p

6. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

Marital Law is already here in America.  If you get a divorce, you lose half your stuff.

If it's martial law you refer to.  Then yes, it's coming.  Stock up on firearms and beef jerky.

7. profile image52

yeah sorry its martial law. i just noticed the typo sorry all.

8. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Damn. The Marital Law thread could have devolved into something interesting.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Someone needs to start a Marital Law thread elsewhere.  (Would that go in "gender and relationships", "politics", "religion", "entertainment", or "business"? 

As for Martial Law - no.

9. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

You better stock up on ammo because thats next! Make sure your equipment is in good working order.

1. profile image0
      Marc Salyerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good luck finding any.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
        Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Walmart has been pretty good on occasion.  Scored three boxes yesterday, in fact, in three different calibers.

1. profile image0

Did you get lucky or do you know when the delivery is expected? In my neck of the woods the guys who work at Walmart buy them up within hours of delivery (that is the 45ACP).

2. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've been buying surplus military ammo but you have to clean up good because the primers are corrosive. I rotate it out.

1. profile image0

A friend and I were doing that but it got to be so much work. And the increase in price was demoralizing considering all the cleaning I had to do.

I have been been buying 45ACP for anywhere from $24 a box to $19 with free shipping. But not too long ago it was what 14 bucks a box on average? It's kind of crazy how hard it spiked.

2. Paraglider profile image88
          Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Serious question - who do you expect to have to shoot? Are you expecting an invasion of foreign ground troops, or for the army to be turned against you, or are you just expecting a collapse to anarchy with everyone out for themselves?

Or are you looking not to defend but to start something? Honestly, I just don't get it.

1. livelonger profile image86
            livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good questions. I don't expect a cogent answer to them.

1. profile image0

I think you missed the point. We who collect and shoot for hobby and competition can't get ammo right now. It used to be reasonably priced and readily available. That changed about a year ago. Now it is very difficult to get ammo because someone or a few people/companies are buying it all up and they're not turning it around for resale.

People who shoot have been having this discussion for a year now. Who is the culprit and what is causing the shortage? Manufacturers aren't making less of it. So where is it all going? There are all kinds of theories...

So when we talk about it we are usually curious to know how others are dealing with the problem.

1. Paraglider profile image88

OK. Well that's a reasonable answer, free of the blustering tone favoured by many gun fans. But from what you say, it sounds at the very least that the ammunition distribution chain is in serious need of auditing, overhaul and possibly even criminal proceedings.

1. profile image0

I didn't intend to say that. It's a perfectly legal product. And like any product when consumers fear a shortage they go out and buy up as much as they can. Production doesn't stop but the lines get really long. In this case the culprits could be millions of gun owners reacting to political winds or retailers and the like anticipating some kind of harsh taxation on ammunition.

Whatever is going on it seems that a handful of people/organizations in the US have got an awful lot of bullets in storage right now. BTW we're really talking pistol range rounds. The kind you would use in your handgun at the shooting range. Rifle ammunition and the like (the kind that are used the world over in revolutions and civil unrest) are not being stockpiled. At least I don't think so. Maybe someone else knows better about that.

I'm sorry if you thought I was putting words in your mouth. That wasn't my intention. I know that ammunition is a legal product, but it's also a lethal product. As such, it is very worrying if there are no adequate checks and controls over its distribution. 'Laundering' ammunition to hide its source is surely illegal. Is this what's happening?

2. egiv profile image60
      egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll make sure to grab my pitchfork.

10. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I was here for the marital law discussion.
    sorry.

lol

(People can be brutal!)

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see that he meant Martial law after I posted, bless his heart.smile

2. profile image0

Ha. It's what drew me in as well.

11. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

I found if I show up early and near the beginning of the week my chances are better, but I'm not aware of what their schedule it.  I've been told it comes in when it comes in.  I'm pretty good to go, though, so haven't checked in awhile, but I just happened on some (.45, 9mm, .223) at a store in another town.  They are much cheaper than any other store locally, but online is best.

12. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I have plenty of rocks and my trebuchet which is not illegal and no permits or licenses either. big_smile

Those old siege weapons are the best.  I'm reaching for the crossbow with flaming arrows, though, when TSHTF.

1. profile image0

You get those arrows at the Walmart too? The flaming kind.

lol No, afraid not...must have imagined I was Robin Hood there for a moment. smile

So I'm on topic, the wife wouldn't allow that kind of thing anyway, unless the arrows were tipped with Yankee Candles. lol

13. profile image0
    Marc Salyerposted 14 years ago

I had to scroll up to the top of this page because I forgot our topic. And I laughed when I saw it again.

In the spirit of this thread I'll say that somebody out there has got a lot of bullets. I wonder what they are expecting.

14. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I can use water balloons in it also as well as golf  balls. That'll  teach 'em!

15. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Do you guys have any spear grass?

16. gary777g profile image65
    gary777gposted 14 years ago

Back to the question: is martial law coming to America?  I have seen some scary webpages with talk of concentration camps in our country, already built and recruiting staff even now.  Is this true?  And what are 'they' planning?  And what can be done about it?  These same sites talk of the 'fake pandemic and flu shots being mandatory and vaccine objectors being rounded up at highway check points/ choke points, put on buses and shipped off to who-knows-where'. Has anyone heard of this?

1. Jonathan Janco profile image59
      Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, this is pretty old stuff. The Reagan admin turned FEMA into a martial law org w/ a contingency to round people up and put them in camps if there were mass protests against an invasion of Nicaragua. There was also alot of talk a few yrs ago that if we nuked Iran it would be followed by enacting martial law. In my opinion, this is all just to distract us from the fact that we're under economic martial law . . . even before the global economy was rigged to fail.

17. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

I'll put it this way, the risks for martial law have never been greater!

1. starme77 profile image76

agreed, I think they were practicing when they declared martial law in with hurricane katrina , our own american troups had a hard time taking away other americans guns , thats why all the chinese and japanese troups have are here now

1. tksensei profile image60
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Say what now?

18. profile image0

Let's grab some pitchforks and torches and we'll just kill everyone we don't like first before they can kill us and martial law will be averted. Where should we start different political views or religion? How about sexuality or race? Then we could settle on nationality and finally education level. Sweet we'll show em all we will!!! yikes

How would that avert martial law? Or was that just an emo moment?

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Poe's Law.

2. profile image0
        Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Duh if there's no one left to govern then we won't need martial law.

So, emo moment. Got it.

1. profile image0

I believe its called sarcasm when someone makes fun of a topic that is ridiculous to begin with. How about everyone afraid of martial Law go serve some time in a war Zone under martial Law then we'll see how close you think we actually are to martial law. Or even better if things are so horrible in this nation and despicable you could always leave and go live in China or Saudi Arabia.

Why'd you pick those two?

1. profile image0

Human rights violations...you know places where you actually disappear for speaking out against the government, it's the beginning of a long list of places that are ruled in the true spirit of martial law.

China's not really under martial law. People speak out against the government everyday and don't "disappear." And most people from Saudi Arabia that I've met have no big beef with their form of government.

1. profile image0

I guess that would be why I said ruled under the spirit of martial law. Most people I've met from Saudi Arabia are terrified of saying anything negative about their government or at least that was my personal observation while I was stationed there for two years. But I am young and have no college education. On second thought I don't even know why I'm trying to argue with you about it. You are a world traveler and all, and so much smarter and more experienced at life then I. I forgot how you spanked hard the last time we talked and proved your awesome superiority.

Really there's nothing I could ever say that you won't have a problem with, being that given the alternatives that i have personally seen with my own eyes, this country is pretty great and life is not all that bad or hopeless. I should probably just keep my optimistic young naive views to myself and await the inevitable collapse of world society and be thankful I had such enlightened realists like yourself to pull me back down to earth. and point out my ignorance. Hope is dead America give up now while you still have the freedom too.

19. profile image0

Sacrifices must be made for the strength of the nation. Liberals want the government to do what it needs to, and conservatives want to do away with everyone who disagrees well actually that's both sides. This way everyone wins including the conspiracy theorists.

20. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

21. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Marital (or Martial) Law, is that Jude Law's brother by any chance? wink   I love Jude Law.  I wouldn't mind either of them coming to America.

22. profile image52

I really just wanted to hear what other people are thinking on
    this topic, or if anyone is even thinking about the possiblity
    of it happening.Hey to all those buying ammo, whats would
    be the purpose of buying it if we have martial law.  Who would you need ammo for?

1. manlypoetryman profile image83

Well Mr. Zachariah...How are you liking the comments thus far ?

Let's juz' say there would be martial law imposed on us (I assume you mean the U.S.A.) tomorrow...which I've been hearing folks spooked on this one since the 80's...You're just going to have the biggest "hoot and Holler" laugh-it-up about it...'cause of the folks who wasted money on ammo...???

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68

Ammo is a consumable.  If your hobby is sewing, you use thread and fabric.  My hobby is shooting, so I go through ammo.  If there were martial law, hopefully there would be warning enough for us to pack up and head to the mountains.  The ammo, then would be for getting meat and self defense.

23. profile image52

Should people be afraid if they declare martial law? any views on that by anyone?If they do how should people react? Just wondering what others are thinking on this. thanks

Dunno about 'should' but I know how Americans 'would' react.

24. profile image52

Is anyone afraid of the possible martial law possiblity, or should we all not worry about it.

Boo! Did that scare ya'!? Why worry about it, Zachariah...there's about two dozen other scenarios that have to happen first...that are far worse...

25. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

They won't need martial law once they have all our money smile

Precisely....dear lady!

26. profile image0

Have to take all the weapons away, too. Hmm, that's another story altogether. Lots o' folks are a might partial to them.

1. profile image0

They're making a list - and checking it twice . . .

That's fer' darn sure, too!

That's fer' darn sure!

27. profile image0

Right now I'm more concerned with whether or not there will be jobs in my area next year or not. Some might say its a tactic to divert Americans from real issues, and that may be, but it is a reality I have to face nonetheless. I am not concerned with martial law as I believe in the event it is needed there will be much more drastic circumstances going on at the time like the collapse of our government and world finances.

I am not concerned about the military turning on American civilians. We forget these are Americans too. There is a reason most of them are over there and not here: The government is afraid of them and the potential power they represent and the popularity of the generals amongst the American populace. If anything be concerned with your local police force and FBI officers turning on you.

Finally @ Tksensei, believe me when I say I really have no problem with you, I've read your hubs and been to your profile and I appreciate that you feel you have legitimate and valuable insight into modern issues and problems. Point is every time I have ever commented on a thread you were on you immediately set on it and everyone that disagrees with you. While I do see where this is the jest of debating, you're not debating you're brow-beating. The logical argument tact has no bearing on what you do as there is nothing logical about attacking those who have different experiences and educations then you. There's no reason or rationality to it what so ever. All you're doing is trying to assert your own superiority. These "discussions" merely amount to a pissing contest and I don't have the time for it. I have no need to prove the validity of anything I have to say or know as you're really not interested in it. You want someone to say you're right and I won't.

Please feel free to counter with how emotional my response was or assuming or judgmental or any of your other canned replies. I know, and trust me we all get it. You're a smart guy and way to much for us all to handle. But that's just my personal observation based on our limited interactions and discussion.

1. profile image0

Our military won't, but I hear that Obama wants foreign military troops to practice maneuvers here. Who, of course, could care less about Americans.

How weird is that?

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And why would he want them to practice maneuvers here? So they have a chance to shoot us?

1. profile image0

Why indeed smile

2. tksensei profile image60

That's good to know!

When have I belittled anyone's experiences or education?

28. profile image0

Sigh.

29. profile image0

Foreign troops doing maneuvers on American soil, like perhaps Kansas or some such? Haven't our troops been training in other countries for decades? Hmm, yes a real Red Dawn scenario. Better get myself an Abrams M1a1 and head for the hills. Yikes!

30. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Sigh.

31. Highvoltagewriter profile image67
    Highvoltagewriterposted 14 years ago

Lion Tigers and bears Oh My! Sooner or later our society will come to the end, and I feel that we may be reaching that time. I my self do not fear it, for I have faith in better world to come!

1. profile image0

Me too smile

32. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

I don't believe there is an ammunition conspiracy or hijinks going on.  I think economic forces are the cause, but I really figured it would have evened out by now.

Prior to the Presidential election, there was a fear and rumor of impending legislation restricting guns and ammunition.  Almost all of this was due to Obama's past voting record.  The gunnys were stirred up, and in turn, stirred up fence sitters who were told now is the time to get it before you can't get it anymore.  In addition to increased purchasing levels by existing gun owners, we saw a large increase in new owners who all need ammunition to feed their purchases.

From what I have read, the ammunition manufacturing process from supply all the way to production is a long chain with very little flexibility to adjust to increased demand such as what was seen.  I've talked to people who claim the factories hired more workers and are running 24 hours to keep up with demand.

I believe there may also be several retailers buying up large quantities and sitting on it, in effect, keeping hold of an artificial shortage so they can retain the higher prices they've enjoyed for the past year.  The ammunition market is one segment of the American economy that is trucking right along just swell.

1. profile image0

That is the clarity I lacked. Thanks.

33. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

You can't find 00 buckshot in my neck of the woods any longer. The stores sell out as fast as it comes in. I think I'm buying hubby a .308 for Christmas.

34. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

"I know that ammunition is a legal product, but it's also a lethal product."

People are lethal not firearms or ammunition

On the scale of things, ammunition is more lethal than putty, though both are legal.

35. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

This forum was a lot more fun when we were discussing "marital" law! I know all about that!!

36. profile image52

i guess not to many people are even thinking about the martial
    law issue, i guess not to many people are worried about it.

I wouldn't like to see it happen, but I think it is less likely now than when the previous regime was in place. It was they who reportedly built the 'internment camps' after all. But it's not my country, so I'd rather hear from people on the spot.

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68

Well, there is a lot of uncertainty, and I've heard it said frequently that we are living in "interesting times". 

The possibility of civil unrest may be what prompted this question.  If we have a widespread level of unrest across the country, then maybe something could happen? 

It's difficult to say what might happen, and as Scott said, there are too many weak, whiny people to believe they would really stand up and organize.  If such an unlikely thing were to happen, then, yes, I have no doubt .gov will attempt to quash it, especially if violence were to occur.

Scott makes sense, though, that federal and local law enforcement personnel would be more likely as an immediate threat.  Many of our military (as much as half?) would not fight against American citizens.  oathkeepers.org

The next two years will see if American attitude toward politics and our leaders cools somewhat or if things continue to get uglier.  Just my ramblings...

37. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Have you read/seen on the news all the militia groups organizing and growing in the US? And it's not just in the South, either.

1. starme77 profile image76

Yeah, but the scary thing about it is the government is watching them and allready have many chinese and japanese troups on the ground in America waiting to fight them.

Chinese and Japanese troops? Can you enlarge on that?

38. Highvoltagewriter profile image67
    Highvoltagewriterposted 14 years ago

I am always amazed how someone in the forms will start a subject and conversation will go on for DAYS! That is why you don't see me post to much in here, I have to many irons in the fire to spend a lot of time here...HOWEVER it is very educational to read so many different view points...so little time and so many good arguments!

39. profile image52

hey i have  a question to all.. Are you happy with the way
    the economy is going? Do you feel like things are getting better
    or worse for you and your family financially?

1. chambersgirl21 profile image61
      chambersgirl21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The economy is only going to get worst. sounds pessimistic, but true. The things that Obama is trying to pass are whats going to throw our country into an even bigger economic woe. My opinion.

2. starme77 profile image76

Definatly , worse

40. garynew profile image60
    garynewposted 14 years ago

I am married, so I am living under marital law right now, and, yes, there IS chaos.  But not in the street.  Just my house.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image59
      Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, marital law might work. How about, on April 15, if instead of collecting taxes the gov't just sent us each a honey do list?

41. networkrecruiting profile image60
    networkrecruitingposted 14 years ago

It's definitely coming all the signs are there, better get yourselves prepared.

42. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/junah42/2skyizfallingagainli1.jpg

43. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

http://www.hybridcars.com/images/stories/ostrich-313.jpg

except for some

44. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

While Americans feel proud to hear that their troops are stationed in Japan and China, there is no wrong for others to be stationed in America.

1. dingdong profile image57
      dingdongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do you say so?

2. tksensei profile image60

American troops are not stationed in China, and troops from China and Japan are not stationed in the US.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)