Should the US take a tougher stance with Pakistan while encouraging India to ste

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

Should the US take a tougher stance with Pakistan while encouraging India to step up in Afghanistan?

The U.S. is calling Pakistan out for harboring Al Qaeda, the Taliban and other terrorist organizations that attack in Afghanistan. The U.S. is also courting India to step up in Afghanistan when the U.S. troops are moved out. This would give India two fronts against Pakistan. Is this the only way to get the point across to Pakistan that we will not tolerate them harboring terrorist groups?

2. handymanbill profile image75
    handymanbillposted 11 years ago

Dangerous situation. They both have Nukes. My worry is more that Al Qaeda will start controlling more of Pakistan. Again they have Nukes.

Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wonder just how useful their nukes are.

2. WindMaestro profile image57
      WindMaestroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes they have nukes, but I think I shall quote my favorite current movie in,
      Pakistan:"I have an army..."
      United States: "We have a Hulk."

3. handymanbill profile image75
      handymanbillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well i certainly would not want them tested. Its a Nuke

4. dervishez profile image60
      dervishezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pakistan has nukes just like six other countries including US. Oh I forgot Israel! who is known to occupy more nukes than Pakistan and India put together. Al Qaeda does not have any nukes because it has never been proven, its just a propaganda.

3. American Romance profile image61
    American Romanceposted 11 years ago

America should stop sending them money by the millions!   I heard Democrats saying today how great Pakistan is to us and how they want to fight terrosism with us on their side!...........no one bothered to ask why they just gave a doctor 33 years in prison for helping catch a terrosist????

1. handymanbill profile image75
      handymanbillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are right. I can't believe that Bin Laden was in there country and they did not know?

2. Xenonlit profile image60

It makes no sense that we send them money. Bin Laden was enough, but the harboring of every other brand of terrorist means we should leave Pakistan to fend for itself.

3. WindMaestro profile image57
      WindMaestroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@handymanbill Oh believe me, they new. Maybe not the locals or the military, but the top brass in Pakistan definitely knew. You don't live in a compound with a full security detail without the government knowing. How do you think he remained hidden?

4. dervishez profile image60

You probably are not aware of MIT educated Pakistani cognitive neuro-scientist Dr. Aafia Siddiqui who is sent to 88 years in prison by the US court for "allegedly" shooting at two US Marines in Bagram airbase. She was raped before facing the court!

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

The US should stay out of the dangerous game of trying to control the affairs of Central Asia. If ours was an informed and educated society that had anything to offer the world other than the barrel of a gun, I might think it was worth us sticking our nose in other nations' business. But because we don't mind our own business, Al Qaeda wants to attack us. I honestly don't care about Al Qaeda and don't think international adventures is in our best interest.

Hasn't central asia been a quagmire for any nation that tried to interfere there? It is an awful part of the world, but I keep thinking about the women and children.

2. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think about them as well, but I can't save everybody. I certainly don't expect the government to do it. I'm sure we've accidentally killed a fair amount of women and children over there ourselves.

5. 910chris profile image74
    910chrisposted 11 years ago

I say we just get the heck out of there all together. Why doesn't someone else play "World Police" for a change? Oh, that's right; there not trying to destroy the world through "Democracy"!

1. profile image0
      Chris Hughposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you kidding?

2. 910chris profile image74
      910chrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How many people have we killed in the name of "Democracy"? How many countries have been destroyed so they can have the "American Way"? Then we sit around and wonder why the world hates us. It is time for us to wise up.

6. Attikos profile image81
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

China, Pakistan and Iran have already laid the groundwork to move into Afghanistan as the west moves out. India is not in the picture. As for the US bullying the Pakistanis, forget it. Washington is progressively losing its leverage there. The pullout from Iraq and Afghanistan is a route disguised as controlled foreign policy. The US has no longterm control over that region.

Well done! No one has ever maintained control over that region, yet no one seems to get the point. As a result, the people live in perpetual war. China, Pakistan and Iran can now go broke and ruin a couple of generations of their military.

7. yssubramanyam profile image60
    yssubramanyamposted 11 years ago

none is interested in peace, every one wants to claim title of super power at the cost of soldiers blood.

8. profile image0
    thegeckoposted 11 years ago

I think if we stopped meddling in the Middle East (and most other countries for that matter) we wouldn't be the focus of terrorist attacks in the first place and wouldn't have to make decisions like this.

9. jaredbangerter profile image75
    jaredbangerterposted 11 years ago

The U.S. needs to get out of foreign countries and fix all of the problems back at home first.  The fall of the Roman empire came from occupying foreign lands and I foresee our country falling to the same fate.

1. Ramsa1 profile image62
      Ramsa1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

America is a warlike nation and has wasted trillions on useless wars, many of which it has lost. America is bankrupt but the average American knows more about DWTS and the Kardashians than about the serious problems America faces.

2. jaredbangerter profile image75
      jaredbangerterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's unfortunate, but you're 100% right.

3. Xenonlit profile image60

I so see the same as you! We are eating our own while we meddle all over the world. That has never worked for a civilization.

10. tmbridgeland profile image81
    tmbridgelandposted 11 years ago

Hi Xenonlit. I have been following your comments on several questions, and I think we disagree on a lot politically. But here we agree. Pakistan and our relationship with it...no good answers. They are not our friends, mostly, and some are outright enemies. I think India would be a better long-term partner. Less crazy anyway.

I don't care if people disagree with me politically. There are some questions that can be asked without politics entering into the discussion. Pakistan insists on shooting itself in the foot, internally and externally.

11. Nick Hanlon profile image61
    Nick Hanlonposted 11 years ago

Don't trust them...it's up to them to prove their credibility which they have failed so far.Remember that the I.S.I. trains and aids terrorists that are sent into India and Afghanistan.Pakistan should be told that they must accept a zero-tolerance attitude to terrorism or they shall face very dire consequences.

1. Ramsa1 profile image62

"very dire consequences"? Such as bomb and kill innocent civilians?

2. Vegas Elias profile image59
      Vegas Eliasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What you said above is an impression created by the U.S. because the U.S. enjoys when India and Pakistan are against each other. There are enough of Indians in India who can do much more harm to the country than a few Pak terrorists.

3. Xenonlit profile image60

That is not going to happen. The situation is a lot more complicated internally to Pakistan and externally with western countries. It would be nice to cut Pakistan off from any more money, but who will fill the void? Vladimir Putin.

12. TheManWithNoPants profile image60
    TheManWithNoPantsposted 11 years ago

I'm very much in favor of warmer relations with India and cooler relations with Pakistan.  Although we need Pakistan, they can not be trusted and we need to change the tone of the relationship.

13. Ramsa1 profile image62
    Ramsa1posted 11 years ago

India "step up"? Why should India get involved in a problem America created? America armed the Mujahideen to fight the Soviets and when they drove the Soviets out, they took control of their country. Of course, America sees it differently and now wants all and sundry to waste their resources like it (America) has. America also wanted India to send troops to Iraq. India wisely refused, and I think it will stay out of Afghanistan.

14. vnsatakopan profile image60
    vnsatakopanposted 11 years ago

Pakistan has always been playing this game. They pretend to fight the terrorists and at the same time, they also train those terrorists. Pakistan would get money out of the US only if terrorists are available. Thus, it is in their interest to see that terrorists are not wiped out. There is only one way the terrorists can be wiped out. That is to fight the terrorists within Pakistan.

15. Vegas Elias profile image59
    Vegas Eliasposted 11 years ago

Being an Indian I have been keenly following all the events that have unfolded in Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan over nearly two decades. The Taliban and Al Qaeda are illegitimate children of American Foreign policy which is fueled by American selfish interests in Asia. This policy is devoid of any ethics whatsoever. America used the Taliban to drive out the Russians from Afghanistan and when the job was don left the Taliban jobless; tribesmen armed with sophisticated weapons supplied by America; What can we expect?

America has now and then tried to pull India into the conflicts and the mess created by them in the Middle East. However being a very mature democracy India has tactfully avoided involvement. However due to the common border with Afghanistan and also due the the unstable situation within, Pakistan has not been able to take a tough rigid stance. Pakistan has actually been an unwilling victim of  Dirty and selfish American foreign policy lured by much needed financial support.

America should not try to put Indian and Pakistan against each other because lately in spite of several incidents of terrorism in both countries, both Asian Nuclear powers have shown maturity in avoiding such a conflict.

What America should have the good sense to do is stop meddling in Asia and pay attention to problems of Americans who are on the verge of economic collapse.

In Asia Pakistan and India should co-operate in every sphere including military. If both these countries trust each other and co-operate then Asia will be a better place and much more prosperous.

1. Attikos profile image81
      Attikosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good luck getting the Indians and Pakistanis to become friends.

2. Ramsa1 profile image62

Well said, Vegas Elias.

3. dervishez profile image60

Now that India and Pakistan are coming closer by opening up trade, friendly visa policy and resolve to all major conflicts, US finds it very difficult to swallow. This was not the plan, the US plan was to spark a fight, sit back, relax and watch!

4. Xenonlit profile image60

You need to admit that a lot of American money also went to humanitarian and development aid at the same time. We didn't start the Peace COrps, the REd Cross and other non profits for oil or strategic minerals. It's a two edged sword.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)