jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you give to Panhandlers?

1. billd01603 profile image84
    billd01603posted 5 years ago

Do you give to Panhandlers?

I live in a medium sized city. During rush hour nearly every busy intersection has a person with a sign asking for money. I have been succesful in ignoring them. I am suspicious of their motives. But last week I was in a WalMart parking lot when a young women (14 or 15 years old) and asked me for $ so she could feed her small child. I gave her $2.00. My wife said I should have asked her questions. I'm worried that she used that $ for cigarettes (or worse)

2. maxoxam41 profile image75
    maxoxam41posted 5 years ago

It is shameful that people like you dare say "I've been successful in ignoring them". It is a reflection of an individualistic growing society!

1. billd01603 profile image84
      billd01603posted 5 years agoin reply to this

That was a bad choice if words, but I don't have enough money to give away to everyone if I wanted to. And yes, I am suspecious of their motives. I saw one last month with a sign that said: "I'll be honest, I want your $ for beer"

3. BlissfulWriter profile image69
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

Yes, I sometimes give my food, drink, and money to the homeless on the street.   It is my opinion that they do need the food and the money.

4. Cassie Smith profile image71
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

No I don't give to panhandlers, isn't that what the government is taking my money for so that it can take care for them?

working