jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What Do You Think George Washington Would Think of today's America?

1. spbarton21 profile image60
    spbarton21posted 5 years ago

What Do You Think George Washington Would Think of today's America?

2. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 5 years ago

To give you an idea of how ridiculous this question is I suspect one of the first questions, as the owner of hundreds of slaves, he would have is why is a black man president (would probably use another word there) is this some kind of joke? Things have changed so monumentally I think the analysis of a random passerby on the street would be far more valuable.

1. spbarton21 profile image60
      spbarton21posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I believe you did not know that George Washington freed his slaves in his will and they all stayed as freemen working for fair wages for the Washington family.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

As a Founding Father, He would be Mortified, Furious, Speechless, and just down right disappointed in which direction his Country has gone. The state of our Country as it is, Is NOT what our Forefathers envisioned.

4. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

I think he would say that the government has too much power, the corporations have too much power, the bankers have too much power, the military has too much power, Christians have too much power, and the people have too little.

Then he would meet the average American who can't find their own state on a map and say, "Oh, I see." And then he would feel like gouging his eyes out as that average American spent a half-hour describing the agonizing decision a Real Housewife had to make last night in picking out a carpet for her bungalow.

Rather than gouging his eyes out though, I suspect he would simply remind people that citizenship comes with responsibilities. Being informed is one of them. Civil debate another.

5. lovemychris profile image60
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

Ahaha Josak......my mom said the same thing. The FF were white, land-owning slave holders! Women and children were property, and the natives were savages.

Myth is one thing, but let's not be ridiculous. The Dec of Independence is grand!.....Time we start living it!