jump to last post 1-20 of 20 discussions (39 posts)

Which would you rather have for protection, gun, knife or phone for dialing 911?

1. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

Which would you rather have for protection, gun, knife or phone for dialing 911?

2. SportsBetter profile image79
    SportsBetterposted 5 years ago

I wish I'd lived in a world where I didn't need protection.  But I don't.  I don't have a gun or a knife, I just walk around unprotected and hope for the best.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I agree with SportsBetter. I wish we lived in a safe world where no one was in need of protection. However we don't so we own guns. My husband and I both have Concealed Weapons Permits. While I prefer to have a gun I would never use one unless I had no other choice.

1. lone77star profile image84
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I also agree, but it seems our government is hell-bent on removing the 2nd Amendment along with the rest of the Bill of Rights and Constitution. I wonder what happens when they've outlawed guns. Martial law?

2. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We are all in trouble the day guns are outlawed. I hope I never see that day!

3. lone77star profile image84

I agree. With every black op to elicit public outrage over gun abuses, we might be getting closer to losing another liberty. That's why we need a real president, like Ron Paul, to help legalize the Constitution, again.

4. CriticalMessage profile image80
      CriticalMessageposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yet there are so many societies around the world that seem to do just fine without guns... I'm just sayin'... Not debatin'... I guess those societies must be really whacko huh?

5. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

A study showed Only 3.87% of the population was exposed to crime in the USA. While   
      Australia(no guns allowed) had 7.16%, germany had 7.64%, Britain had 8.5%, and so on, so I think we are doing pretty good in comparsion.

6. SportsBetter profile image79
      SportsBetterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Critical Message, first it is guns, then freedom of speech, then you have to be stripped searched every where you go.  It would be never ending.  I'm not saying guns are safe but what is?

4. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

You have to describe a specific set of circumstances before this question can be answered. For example, were someone coming at me with a knife but was still far enough away to give me enough time to get ready, aim and fire, I'd rather have a gun. Were I stranded on an island with a hurricane coming, I'd rather have a telephone.

backporchstoriesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would be referring to protection against criminal intent....not weather or natural disaster.

2. Attikos profile image78
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

All right, let's change that scene to stuck on an island, hiding from a bloodthirsty gang of drug runners.

5. hubsy profile image80
    hubsyposted 5 years ago

Phone for 911, because at least with that, you know someone is coming. With the gun and knife, you're not guaranteed anyone will find you, plus you might have a lawsuit on your hands, even if it's for self-defense.

1. lone77star profile image84

I remember in Los Angeles when I called the police and reached a volunteer who told me they couldn't help. Good luck with 911! This might help:
      http://www.thatsweird.net/news5.shtml

2. backporchstories profile image81

lone77star....I have to agree with you.  I will already be harmed in some way and 911 is only good for medical care after or the coroner!  The police can not sit on our doorstep like a body guard!  Unfortunately we do live a cruel world!

6. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Gun. My favorite are rifles. Dialing 911 for protection? That is laughable. You will get hurt before they are even on their way.

7. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

Phone.  I've dialed 911 twice in my life, and it worked.  I don't know anyone who has used a gun to protect his/her life, although I know a lot of people with guns.  I do personally know (knew) two people who killed themselves using guns.  I also know one man who went to jail for shooting a man in an argument.  He should have just punched him or walked away. (I should say "knew" --he died in jail).

1. Attikos profile image78

I've dialed it once. My wife was dead before help arrived. Always remember: when seconds count, the authorities are only minutes away.

2. Mama Kim 8 profile image92
      Mama Kim 8posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Attikos, I'm so terribly sorry. If your tragedy doesn't change people's minds I don't think anything but going through it themselves would.

8. Mr. Happy profile image83
    Mr. Happyposted 5 years ago

I don't trust police officers, nor do I support the way they work, their tactics - no 911 for me. Regarding guns, I think they are too impersonal. It is too easy to shoot someone ...

I like my knives. They are good for many things (not just protection), from cutting cheese to an orange, or I tag one along when I am fishing ...

On a day to day basis I carry no weapons and I just have faith in myself and the seven and a half years of martial arts training. : )

9. pmorries profile image77
    pmorriesposted 5 years ago

I am picking something that is not on your list...a dog. I have seen data that states that thieves and criminals fear them more than guns.
    If I am in a place where a dog is not allowed, I would pick a phone.

I f I really had my druthers, I would choose a Star Trek phaser. I could either stun a person then call the police or phase someone to oblivion (disintegrate them) and not have to answer any pesky questions.

In closing, if the shooter in Aurora was killed by an armed citizen, would more people have died because he would not have mentioned that be booby trapped his apartment?

Your are right about dogs.  We have eight of them and three are pitt bulls who are intimidating, but really are gentle.  However, if someone was coming with bad intent, they will sniff the danger and attack.

10. iwriteforyou profile image72
    iwriteforyouposted 5 years ago

I vote phone.

I don't agree with guns or the justification that other people have them so I should too (for protection). I believe this is just a cycle of fear which ultimately results in dangerous weapons in every household.

I'm sure this comment will be voted down instantly but last time I checked no-one was killed or injured in their school or cinema with a smartphone !.

As for 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people'. Well I think the gun helps alot.

In my view, if a person feels the right to bear arms they should wear a t-shirt. At least that way alot of innocent people would still be with their loved ones.

1. Ciel Clark profile image73
      Ciel Clarkposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I vote up.

2. Mr. Happy profile image83
      Mr. Happyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good answer, in my opinion. Cheers and why vote You down? lol

11. Apostle Jack profile image60
    Apostle Jackposted 5 years ago

I would rather have God for my protection. I have found Him to make a way out of no-way with the wonders of His methods of safety and direction of life.
    What is not seen is more powerful than what is seen.

But if i had to choose one of the three that you mention,i would choose a phone.The other 2 is too much trouble.

1. Attikos profile image78

Every soldier in battle prays for deliverance. Some of them still die.

2. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

When your number is call by God,nothing can save you,it is your time to leave this world. We go into battle with the thought that we may not return home. As it is written.....be ye also ready.
      There is no one that is born that shall not die.

12. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 5 years ago

Definitely God and an ear that is in tune to understand him; however, since God is not listed, I would select gun and a thank you to the Chinese for this invention...

13. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I live a long way from law enforcement so 911 is not quick in responding.  We actually used it once and were put on hold (seriously).  So I want a gun in my hand, a knife in my pocket, while on hold with 911.

14. tirelesstraveler profile image81
    tirelesstravelerposted 5 years ago

During the Occupy Oakland and Occupy Berkeley all the police were there.  A man met an intruder in his home called 911 and was dead when they got there 20 minutes later.   I think a gun is useful, a dog is necessary and a NRA sign on your door somewhat intimidating.   There should be a the sign, alerting firemen, saying there are pets inside.
    I have been in more than one place where cocking the gun was all that was required to cause a wise criminal to leave..

15. ahorseback profile image77
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

The  Gun!..................a .knife is too personal,  and 911 is a joke , I don't think the cops will be there in time .  the question is  in such a situation ,will you stand up for your wife , daughter , family and property?

1. Mr. Happy profile image83
      Mr. Happyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Haha! That is pretty funny Mr. Ahorseback - I wrote that the gun is too impersonal, while You wrote that the knife is too personal. I love realizing how different people's attitudes on Life can be. All the best!

16. Mama Kim 8 profile image92
    Mama Kim 8posted 5 years ago

My husband and I never leave the house without both a knife and a gun. In our home we have dogs and of course our weapons.
    I grew up in a bad neighborhood and with an abusive father (not towards me but women) I dialed 911 way too many times in my childhood and learned a difficult lesson. When someone stronger than you attacks with or without weapons of their own you don't have time to wait for help, you must help yourself. Women I care about had to endure broken bones because they couldn't protect themselves and all I could do was dial 911.

17. La geek profile image59
    La geekposted 5 years ago

I would rather have a gun.It might take 911 some time before  they arrive at the scene where you are .A knife is also not good weapon because you will need to get closer to any one who might be attacking you.Having a gun is the best protection any one can have.

18. Vincentrobin Oman profile image59
    Vincentrobin Omanposted 5 years ago

if you use gun you will be in trouble so you call 911 ok

In some states it is a protection law....that if intruder crosses your threshold you have the protective right to shoot!

19. criticalthinkerKS profile image59
    criticalthinkerKSposted 5 years ago

Phone, unless this person poses any REAL threat than there is NO reason to be physical.

20. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 5 years ago

The gun is the most practical. This does not imply that it should be used, but it may hinder the attacker, and by so doing protect both parties. It can be utilised much quicker than the other weapons in terms of neutralising the opponent.

Interesting though, I was once attacked by someone who I thought had a gun. I lifted by hands upwards to heaven and chanted God's name most powerfully. When I did look in his direction some 30 seconds later, he was walking backwards , turned around and walked away. This is a true story.

working