jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Why won't America recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel?

1. profile image73
    Education Answerposted 5 years ago

Why won't America recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

To be honest, I don't know why. But, They should. I'm really unsatisfied with Obama's relationship with Israel.

3. watergeek profile image97
    watergeekposted 5 years ago

Because the non-Israeli populations in that area have an equally passionate and far longer connection with Jerusalem than Israelis do. For the US to support Israel in claiming that Jerusalem "belongs" to them, and not anybody else, would be to tell everyone else that their own cultural heritage doesn't matter. The US has no business doing that.

1. Mitch Alan profile image83
      Mitch Alanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How do you even say that non Israeli populations have a stronger claim to Jerusalem...hello??? Revisionist history??

2. profile image73
      Education Answerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We absolutely have the right to identify Jerusalem as Israel's capital.  Should other countries not recognize Washington D.C. as our capital because the Piscataway indians lived there first?

3. watergeek profile image97
      watergeekposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It was a key city for the Canaanites in the 13th century BC before King David. There was a series of cultural exchanges after that, all long before Israel was established via UN decree as a nation.

4. profile image73

Yes, there is a lot of history there.  You could make the same statement about many places in the world.  Should we not recognize every nation's capital that has a history of multiple cultures?  Again, what about Washington D.C.?

4. Conservative Lady profile image74
    Conservative Ladyposted 5 years ago

I believe America as a whole does recognize Jerusalem as the capitol of Isreal - it is the current Democratic Party and their leader President Obama that seem to be conflicted about the issue.

1. watergeek profile image97

The current Democratic Party is not part of America? Like, a major part?

2. Conservative Lady profile image74
      Conservative Ladyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Semantics.......

3. Uninvited Writer profile image85
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"President Obama recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and our party platform should as well," former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 … 91488.html

4. Conservative Lady profile image74
      Conservative Ladyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The Democratic National Convention Platform was read by Obama and his team - if he had a fervent belief in Jerusalem being the capital of Isreal why didn't they demand that change be made before the Platform was presented to all?

5. profile image72
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure why the reason is.... but it's not like America is alone in this.  The International Olympic Committee, the United Nations, and many other countries also don't recognize Jerusalem as the capital.  Can't give any reason, but I think the real question is why won't the international community recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, not just why won't America.

1. profile image73

Isn't that part of the problem in the first place?  We're always worried about what the international community wants us to do.  When did we lose our leadership in this community?  Really?  We're making political decisions based on the Olympics?

2. watergeek profile image97

I see the Olympics as the greatest prevention to war that humans have yet created. Rather than acting out our human aggressions by constantly attacking each other, look at all the countries that now strive to excel against each other in sports.

working