jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Is America's love affair with Isreal, mostly political, mostly economic, or most

1. A M Werner profile image61
    A M Wernerposted 5 years ago

Is America's love affair with Isreal, mostly political, mostly economic, or mostly religous?

If you can, please include the reason you believe your response.

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

I believe it is primarily religious and political. Although America states we believe in a separation of (church and state) no one is likely to get elected to the office of president of the United States by claiming to be an atheist or for that matter a practicing muslim or buddist.
    "Unoffically" the offical religion of America is "Christianity". According to the bible Jesus was a jew and the jews are God's chosen people. It stands to reason a believer/follower of biblical teachings would be supportive of the "holy land". Although most jewish people do not believe that Jesus was "the son of god" there is still that shared belief of the old testament between both countries.
    Polictically/economically the U.S. wants a strong ally in the region to assist us in protecting our national interest (oil) in the event the area becomes unstable. America is also supportive and protective of the "underdog". Israel is surrounded by countries that hate it. In addition the Holocaust in Europe naturally elicits sympathetic tones from the U.S.

3. mintinfo profile image75
    mintinfoposted 5 years ago

The primary reason is religious. It has to do with the "what if God is really real syndrome". Israel knows that therefore it plays the Puppet Master in order to stave off apathy in those who have the power to protect them. The Puppet Master is at work in all Middle Eastern affairs including the recent trouble in Libya.

4. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

First of all, there is no love affair..true respect and a feeling of comradery, indebtedness in the grand religion that we have in common, and alike in our beliefs, that human beings have rights and should not be smashed like insects as some countries would believe..these are what we have in a mutual respect for one another!!!!!

5. William Young profile image60
    William Youngposted 5 years ago

I believe that it is not necessarily any of the above. They are our ally. They are the closest thing to an American system in the Middle East, and I think people feel like they are brothers to us!

1. Mazzy Bolero profile image81
      Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. They are the only western democratic culture in the Middle East.  That's one of the reasons they are the focus of Arab hostility.  I don't think it has anything to do with religion per se.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

Mostly political.  We use them to destabilize the Middle East, and also we like them, as America has a lot of Jewish persons living here.

Closed to reply

working