jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think a Christian Nation should celebrate Halloween?

1. LAURENS WRIGHT profile image52
    LAURENS WRIGHTposted 5 years ago

Do you think a Christian Nation should celebrate Halloween?

People from Russia and Mexico that are living in the US have asked me over and over why does the United States celebrate Halloween, which they consider the devil's day, an evil day and witches day.  They tell me that they will not even send their children to school that day.  They ask me how can a Christian Nation celebrate an EVIL HOLIDAY.

2. Jesse Mugnier profile image73
    Jesse Mugnierposted 5 years ago

Are we a christian nation? I believe we are a free nation. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions as well as religions.
    Halloween was formerly known as All Souls Day (and a few other names) and is a CHRISTIAN holiday. People would ring bells for the souls in purgatory and would bake soul cakes and hand them out to poor children in return for them praying for the souls. Which would be trick-or-treating today.
    Some believed that the souls would come back, looking for vengence on enemies, which is why people started wearing costumes.

This is not an evil holiday, it's a day to celebrate the dead.
    Consumerism has turned it into a fun holiday where kids can be anything they want for one day and get free candy in the process.
    Everyone likes to be scared sometimes, just because you put out a few plastic tombstones on your front lawn and hang up a ghost windsock does not mean you are celebrating the devil. It's a great holiday, and is of Christian origin.

3. dianetrotter profile image72
    dianetrotterposted 5 years ago

I'm sure there is no Christian Nation.  If there were, should they celebrate Halloween - no.  Our church has a youth activity as an alternative to Halloween celebration.

1. wba108@yahoo.com profile image81
      wba108@yahoo.composted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you that we shouldn't celebrate Halloween as a Christian nation.  I strongly believe we were founded a Christian nation, whether we are one now is questionable.

2. dianetrotter profile image72
      dianetrotterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi wba108, my idea of a Christian nation is there everyone is a Christian; however, everyone makes that decision individually.  Founded on principles is probably best description.

4. joelmlay profile image69
    joelmlayposted 5 years ago

Originally Christians observed the day before All Saints Day (November 1) as a day to purge out evil etc, etc. So, that was the intent of Halloween. Today, however, Halloween has become a celebration that has lost its original intent. The same is the case with Mardi Gras and all that goes on - a diversion from its association with Ash Wednesday and the Lent season.

5. d.william profile image61
    d.williamposted 5 years ago

Firstly where in this world is their a "Christian" nation? 
    Secondly, "All Hallow Even" is a celebration of souls.  The part of it that we see today is just a corrupted version of the original day of veneration to honor those who have passed on to the next world (assuming that there is one).  There is no evil associated with this day except in the minds of those who believe such nonsense.

working