jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Do you support FEMA?

1. Scottmonster profile image88
    Scottmonsterposted 5 years ago

Do you support FEMA?

Chris Christie praises FEMA for providing disaster funding so New Jersey doesn't have to. He simultaneously supports the abolish of FEMA. Is this hypocritical? DO you support FEMA?

2. Goody5 profile image73
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

I can't support a government organization that I can't trust. After I saw them in action or should I say non-action with hurricane Katrina (Which was a class 5 hurricane), and I lost all faith in them. They talk the talk, but they don't do anything else.

Scottmonsterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I understand this. But, to give different example:

I dont 'trust' the CIA, yet I think we need it, and we need it to be good. Being frustrated with what we have doesn't usually make us want to abolish the institution all together right?

3. tiffany delite profile image76
    tiffany deliteposted 5 years ago

Perhaps Mr. Christie is being hypocritical, but perhaps he is also getting a real life lesson in seeing things from a different perspective. When he spoke out against FEMA, it was prior to him really understanding the use for it because he never had needed it. Now that New Jersey and it's residents are battered all to hell, he will be able to see the use of it.

FEMA is not perfect. Nobody and nothing is, but I support the work that they do and the principle behind it. I think the agency learned quite a bit from Katrina, and it seems that their response has been better (or at least not as widely criticized) since then.

Blessings!

1. ChristinS profile image97
      ChristinSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree - when run properly, it is highly useful.

4. Cody Byerly profile image58
    Cody Byerlyposted 5 years ago

Chris Christie also was strongly against Obama and gave him no credit, yet they work together to solve this disaster and he applauds the president for his help. If you saw his interview on Fox via satellite, Christie was a mess. He is now seeing the effects of a disaster and is living it. Disasters often change men, and Christie was changed.

FEMA is doing absolutely amazing after hurricane Sandy compared to what they did for Katrina. Lessons have been learned and leadership has improved. Now the only people dying are freak accidents like trees falling on them or their own stupidity instead of FEMA's lack of response.

Scottmonsterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That may be true. Maybe he is changed, I wonder if his endorsement changes? Seems to me hes trying to have it both ways:
      Supporting Romney keeps his national base happy, supporting FEMA keeps his state base happy. No matter who wins he will be on top

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

It seems it is human nature to not to want to have things around until they are the one's needing help. I think this is the case with Gov. Christie now that he needs FEMA. I think they are an excellent organization, with the excellence starting at the top. That which they did not have during Hurricane Katrina.

6. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

Absolutely.  FEMA isn't appreciated when things are going well, but during national disasters it's invaluable in helping to coordinate other agencies that bring relief to victims.

working