jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)

What is your view on planking ?

1. loveofnight profile image80
    loveofnightposted 5 years ago

What is your view on planking ?

I don't understand the method to the madness but that could be because of a generational gap.Also known as the laying down game, it involves lying face down stiff as a board with your arms at your side. The more unique the place you choose to plank at, like in the middle of the street or on a 7th floor balcony railing,the braver you are (I guess). What is your view on the planking craze.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7386242_f260.jpg

2. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

I think it's pretty ridiculous, but it really comes in handy when you're really hung over in the morning and don't feel like standing in front of the toilet.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I find it utterly preposterous to risk ones life just to prove how brave you are by playing such a silly game. Their will be casualties from this nonsense.

4. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

I love it. Pinning a nice trout filet to a cedar plank and roasting it over an open fire is ...

Oh. Wait a moment. You're not talking about that, are you?

Never mind.

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

A silly fad that has gone to extremes.  I'm not sure what young people are searching for that causes them to be so reckless with life and limb.

6. tussin profile image60
    tussinposted 5 years ago

I thought that was old news a few months ago.  People are still doing that?

1. eternals3ptember profile image60
      eternals3ptemberposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah. I remember reading a hub or something with a few moms talking about the Cinnamon Challenge almost a year after it peaked...

7. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

There is an expression in this country that infers that one is not of sound mind.  Or, more accurately, one does not have a full deck intellectual-wise.  It is referred to as 'being as thick as two short planks.'  And that is my view of people who do this sort of thing.   No wonder it is called 'planking.'

Mind you, not to sound like a wowser, when I was a young sailor we invented a action called 'dead anting' where, when someone called out 'dead ant!' the last sailor to hit the deck ( crash on the floor) paid for the next round of drinks.

So the wheel has been reinvented again...probably they did something just as senseless back when Julius Caesar was a boy.

8. d.william profile image61
    d.williamposted 5 years ago

I must be behind the times, this is the first i have heard of this phenomenon.  Just when i think society has reached its epitome of idiocy, they somehow manage to surpass themselves.  Can you imagine what a great world this would be if these people put their imagination into something constructive for once in their lives?

9. DON BALDERAS profile image78
    DON BALDERASposted 5 years ago

Is this fad? Is it a form of exercise? What comes as a purpose for doing this?  I still can't understand especially if it's done taking risks.

loveofnightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It isn't exercise and the only reason that I have been able to come up with is that they do it because they can. For others it's about bravery but in the end it serves no purpose. They also have postings on facebook.

10. InterestCaptured profile image86
    InterestCapturedposted 5 years ago

It's silly, no one is getting hurt, it's not a contest of bravery, its just something people do to get smiles from unexpecting onlookers. I think that doing things purely for the sake of laughter is one of the most beautiful things people do. Those that are appalled by this, I am appalled by. No need to be so stiff  : P

loveofnightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I believe that the bravery comes in at the young man who was planking on his 7th floor balcony.once he fell to his death more negative attention started to mount against the game.

2. InterestCaptured profile image86
      InterestCapturedposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I see. Well we shouldn't base our judgements of a fad on a single event

11. BeyondGS profile image85
    BeyondGSposted 5 years ago

It was funny at first but it's past it's time. I find "Photo Bombing" much more fun and entertaining.

12. Wesley Clark profile image59
    Wesley Clarkposted 5 years ago

I think the type of planking you are describing is funny, yet a complete waste of time.  I'd rather do the "exercise" version of a plank.  Better to do that type of plank and definitely not a waste of time.

working