jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Is There Something Wrong With Splitting a Meal's Cost?

1. CrescentSkies profile image87
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

Is There Something Wrong With Splitting a Meal's Cost?

I'm asking this in the politics section because it deals with politics. Is it wrong that after a good hour of your date talking about women's rights and equal treatment during a meal to try and split the cost of the meal? The last time this happened the woman reacted with a "some man you are...". I never saw her again...nor do I ever wish to.

Did I do anything wrong or is this kind of hypocrisy something I should learn to expect from girls who spend an hour talking about women's rights?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I would say a gentleman should always pay, especially on the first few dates. After you have been dating awhile, then I think it to be okay if she picks up the tab every so often.

3. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 5 years ago

It may be old fashioned, however good manners used to dictate, when issuing an invitation to a meal out it was a given you pay for it and since most dates were initiated by the man, them paying was expected. Also men historically earned more and I am sure that also influenced the situation.

If it is a friend or an ongoing relationship sharing the bill or taking turns paying should never be a problem unless is a big difference in your financial situations or someone is a gold digger.

For a first date, the old fashioned approach should be expected even if the woman is a very verbal feminist, old habits die hard.

1. CrescentSkies profile image87
      CrescentSkiesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

True enough I suppose, though I've actually seen similar things happen in cases where the girl asked the guy out. Curse whoever was the first man to do this!

2. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You could just ask before the date is set? Heck, many women might just jump at the chance to start of on a very even footing!

4. capon profile image59
    caponposted 5 years ago

I think we are missing a vital piece of information..............."Who invited whom?"
    Once the answer is know, the question is likely to become rhetorical.
    Happy days of courting.

5. H-Chris profile image60
    H-Chrisposted 5 years ago

I've had the opposite of your problem, where men I've asked out have refused to let me pay for dinner. I agree with capon, if I ask someone to join me for dinner then I pay. Unless we'd established that we'll be going dutch.

My husband and I have a friend who would always try to pay our bill when we ate out, usually saying he had to use the restroom and then slipping off to the cashier.
    I know he meant to be kind but it made me feel like a mooch. So we asked him to stop with the ninja tactics, if he wanted to treat us tell us out right. A birthday or anniversary if fine as long as he will let us reciprocate.