Michelle Obama as an Oscar presenter - Your thoughts?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Marisaupa profile image73
    Marisaupaposted 11 years ago

Michelle Obama as an Oscar presenter - Your thoughts?

There has been a flurry of criticism from the right, as would be expected, and surprisingly also from some in the left, on the First Lady's appearance as a presenter for the Best Film Oscar.  What are your feelings on the matter?  Is it over reaching on the Obama's administration part?  Is there no big deal at all?  Your thoughts...

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7733191_f260.jpg

2. MarieAlana1 profile image68
    MarieAlana1posted 11 years ago

I think she is a beautiful respectable woman. She can do anything that she wants to do and has the right to do. I love how she is working hard on the topic of obesity and eating healthy.Some people are saying that she is getting too much out there, as if she is almost more like a celebrity, though. There is so much potential in this woman. After seeing all of the criticisms, though, I must confess, I feel a little bit uncomfortable about writing my hub about her hairstyle the other day. Most of what I said is positive, but still I feel a little uncomfortable about everything that's going on with her.

3. junkseller profile image79
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

She is the First Lady. Not the First Lady on the Left. Anyone complaining has absolutely no class and no respect.

Michelle has more brains and beauty than the entire mass of people complaining about her combined.

1. Express10 profile image86
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, the First Lady did a good job via satellite. She did not even attend in person, making more time for her family and other important duties. I do not see a problem with her participation at all.

4. Angela Blair profile image68
    Angela Blairposted 11 years ago

Perhaps I'm in a minority but I feel whomever is America's First Lady should maintain a certain decorum that comes with that position (after all, a First Lady is often the person who is America's ambassador/representative to other countries) -- and that certainly is not the case now or has it been with other First Ladies in the past. It seems to me that this administration, particularly, has become as much of the entertainment world as they are the most high profile members of our government -- which the Kennedys' also ascribed to. The first family of this country is watched by the whole world and reported on by the world press -- I'd personally prefer First Ladies  present themselves more in keeping with their honored position in American government than as a pawn at the entertainment industry's beck and call and a tool to enhance viewer ratings. And. . . yes, I know I'm way behind the times and my opinion is old-fashioned and out-of-date!

1. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

President Reagan's wife was an actress. Michelle Obama is a lawyer. Which profession is more "respectable" in your eyes?

2. Angela Blair profile image68
      Angela Blairposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't see where the word  "respectabiiity" was part of the question.

3. bn9900 profile image71
      bn9900posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Old-is that a trick question?

5. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Is our president and his family focused on what is occurring in our country or putting their face in the entertainment world?

1. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why should the president's family be focused on the country? He's the president, not them. They aren't getting paid for the job.

2. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I'm just used to the President's wives helping their husbands and actually helping us out. He might be making the money, but wives always see a good portion of it. Just like my mother handled half the money and I deal with all of it.

3. bn9900 profile image71

Old-they are getting all the perks:Secret Service, free vacations, the best airfare out there, so yes they need to act like respectable people, but alas they do not. Well hopefully there will be a USA when he gets out of office.

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

My thoughts are: I don't care. We live in a movie culture where films and tv are as effective in our society as money or democracy or anything else that this country holds valuable. Movies and tv are how the people in charge communicate to the masses. So it makes sense that she would do this. I never saw people complain about first ladies doing this sort of thing in the past. Jackie Kennedy once did a whole tv show where she gave a tour of the decor of the White House. No one complained.

7. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

It's sometimes hard to think that there was a time in our country where the American people only ever saw the president in newspaper photos. Heck, FDR got elected and people didn't even know he was in a wheelchair. But as times change, so must the role of the first family. Barack Obama was elected in a time where cell phones and the internet were the norm, and so they had a unique opportunity to change the image of a president from a stuffy old guy into someone who actually understood what was going on in our modern culture. Movies and television are such a huge part of our economy that a president should honor them. Some people will still say it's a waste of time, but ultimately the first family is still human, and who wouldn't want to do something like this?

8. ssaffery profile image79
    ssafferyposted 11 years ago

She did good and she got that fierce, red carpet look! Go Mama Obama!

9. Brandi Cooper profile image59
    Brandi Cooperposted 11 years ago

There's nothing wrong with her presenting at the Oscars - she's taking part in something that has been a staple in American culture for decades. It's nice to see the First Family interacting with the American population in a variety of ways. You don't want someone who sticks their nose up and never leaves the White House except for political events. Hell, the Queen of England did a skit with James Bond for the Olympics. Come on!

Not to mention, Laura Bush, Ronald Reagan, and FDR all did stuff for the Oscars. So it isn't as if she's the first to do it.

10. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 11 years ago

I see no big deal at all. She is the wife of the President and has her own interests (as any person, married to the President or not should). It's not as if the President went to the Oscars to present during a war. She did a good job via satellite and maintained the standards of propriety in every way. She is quite gracious, warm, intelligent, and bubbly. These are some things that lend themselves to the task.

11. bn9900 profile image71
    bn9900posted 11 years ago

This first family has taken more vacations, has been on more talk shows, has done more fiddle faddling around on our tax dollar than any other first family...a six week vacation to Hawaii? Now if the head of the household would actually do some work and not be a bully and a tyranant then maybe we would get somewhere, but unfortuately there are to many people inthralled with the black Kennedy's that they don't care about the real work that needs to be done.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

False...

2. bn9900 profile image71

If it's false, prove me wrong UW.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I think it is far too much ado about nothing.

13. davidlivermore profile image94
    davidlivermoreposted 11 years ago

Who cares really?

A bunch of people with more power and money than me patting each other on the back.

I doubt she bullied her way in.  If she asked, of course they would include her.  But in the end it doesn't matter.  She is married to the president, not the president himself.

I do respect her, and her ideas do carry weight.  It just doesn't matter, really.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)