Michelle Obama Promotes Hate At Poetry Event

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (129 posts)
  1. lady_love158 profile image61
    lady_love158posted 12 years ago

Just unbelievable!!! This is the first lady of America and she invites the rapper "Common" to the White House poetry event? This piece of garbage raps.about killing cops and burning Bush!! Now that's what I call a great roll model for young kids endorsed by lady Michelle!!!  What an a**!!!

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Spam and more spam and more spam and more spam and more spam and more spam.....spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam

1. hottopics profile image60
        hottopicsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not sure, are you trying to say there is spam here?

2. mdshahalam03 profile image61
        mdshahalam03posted 12 years agoin reply to this

ha ha

2. I am DB Cooper profile image62
      I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Michelle Obama is not a roll model. This is a roll model

1. recommend1 profile image59
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is quite normal for bu!!sh!t spew to be mis-spelt, I am not sure if it is the level of education or the blindness to everything.

2. lady_love158 profile image61
        lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol! I that hungry when I posted that!

Seriously I don't care what kind of music Michelle listens to or likes but to endorse this guy to young people at the white house is just wrong! Obviously the libs think she can do no wrong but they always sacrifice their principles when it comes to defending their position of power that's why they were all fine with Bin Laden being killed in cold blood... now if Bush had done that there would have been outrage... so of course I'm not surprised by the reaction here.

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is THE roll model of all roll models! lol

Oh that mis-spelling of mine is getting some mileage!

2. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True dat! He's my hero!

3. Jaydeus profile image62
      Jaydeusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Obama's hate Americuh!  They hate AMERICUH!
      He ain't never been no American, they is AmeriCANTS because they hate Americuh!
      Ole Dubya was a true patriot 'cause he made the Patriot Act gerranteein that ain't no Turban-wearin camel salesman never gonna splode up my house. 
      Osama-Obama its the SAME! 
      They hate AMERICUH!

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

She'll be burning in Hell along with the other non-believers on May 22 anyway. Don't worry, be happy smile

1. Jaydeus profile image62

Oh god I hope you aren't serious.
        On May 23 I will have my morning coffee, and finally be assured that the hell I have always been in really is Springfield, TN.  I will also ponder why I still see Christians walking around soliciting their propaganda.  I guess hell welcomes all.

Why not move to Afghanistan... then you could have the government you like and persecute christians too! Don't worry America wouldn't miss you.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
            psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Sorry I must resist evil! I can no longer look away there's too much at stake!

Clearly you have more at stake than Christ did.

We all do!

Ego much?

2. habee profile image93

How can you say THAT??

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Don't I look serious?

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ron...may22nd?....

1. lovemychris profile image76
          lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All the horrible, evil people will be left to die, and the wondeful white christians will all go to heaven.

Praise god, and pass the HYPOCRICY!

Jesus did not pat himself on the back...HE said there is NONE good but the father...none of you white christians is good!!

Did you miss the message?

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

I have it on very good authority - God's word, the world will end May 21, 2011.

5. hottopics profile image60

La Lo,

You are right. Funny noone says anything about all the prisoners that were at the White House for Easter. A report showed there were people convicted of Felonies, 1 Rapist and several child molesters.

6. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh see?! That could have gone so much better if they would have brought the Paramore chic to collaborate with the rapper! She could have done that little tune about the airplanes, and the night sky, and the shooting stars! That would have fixed it all! lol

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess Pat Boone was busy?

8. KFlippin profile image59
      KFlippinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No spam in this forum topic, spam here as one hubber tried to say above is incorrect.  It is a valid topic for discussion.  (Does typing spam spam ad nauseum have the topic kicked off by hubpages? Probably so?), and I would agree that this is quite unconscionable, this rapper's inclusion. 

Did someone lose track of what actually represents poetry in the USA and the world?  There are many great poets, how sad someone was displaced for a trash talking musical rapper with an indoctrinated Rev. Wright axe to grind.

1. Mighty Mom profile image78

Sign o' the times, methinks.
        As per "Snooki" from Jersey Shore being paid $32,000 to speak at Rutgers University while Nobel AND Pulitzer Prize winning author Toni Morrison received only $30,000.
        sad
        And yes, UW, I did hear that both Pat and Debbie Boone were elsewhere engaged that day.

1. habee profile image93

I love Toni Morrison!

9. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He certainly wasn't a sound choice for people to invite to the white house. Next up representing the department of agriculture; Tommy Chong.

10. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Talk about "promoting hate," try looking in a mirror!

11. deblipp profile image61
      deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

JUST LIKE when Nixon invited Johnny Cash to the White House even though he sang "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die."

Really??? You want to compare Johnny Cash's lyrics to Common's???

12. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  you are something else girl. you don't know how to listen and understand rap music. Common?  His songs are about real life, that's what poetry is about.
      rap music is symbolism.
      http://www.metrolyrics.com/i-have-a-dre … ommon.html

So are Will Smith's but somehow he can do it with class and Common... not so much. But then I wouldn't expect anything decent from someone that sat in Rev Weights pews and described him as a man of love. Common's idea of love is clearly spelled out in his song "Hidey Hoe".

What's your idea of Love?

The polar opposite of Common's!

2. profile image0

That's pretty funny. The dude has rapped about killing police officers the same week we are supposed to be honoring them. He grew up rich, his dad was a pro basketball player, and were supposed to believe that he has had a hard lot in life. Bad move on Mr. Obama's part.

And the White House defended him today saying that song didn't embody the scope of his work! Lol! So i'm sure Hidey Hoe is on Sasha's ipod right?

1. profile image0

Common and Obama went to the same church together, and even though Obama was no longer able to defend the outlandish rantings of reverend Wright, Common still stood by his side.
            What a joke.

13. I am DB Cooper profile image62

I know Lady Love probably won't watch this, but The Daily Show torched Fox News and the rest of the people barking about this Common issue on last night's show. Common comments on violence in his music while promoting peace and causes an uproar. Johnny Cash (whose music I love, by the way) sings about violence and is awarded a medal by President Bush. I resist playing the race card as much as possible, but this issue is just ridiculous.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-m … share_copy

No Johnny Cash doesn't sing about violence he sings about regret!

"Folsom Prison Blues" I hear the train a comin' It's rolling round the bend And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when, I'm stuck in Folsom prison, and time keeps draggin' on But that train keeps a rollin' on down to San Antone.. When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son, Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns. But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die When I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry.. Soooey! I bet there's rich folks eating from a fancy dining car They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars. Well I know I had it coming, I know I can't be free But those people keep a movin' And that's what tortures me... Well if they freed me from this prison, If that railroad train was mine I bet I'd move it on a little farther down the line Far from Folsom prison, that's where I want to stay And I'd let that lonesome whistle blow my blues away.....

And then there's Common...

Comin to damage you, spittin understandable slang at you I be the all seeing lyrical, hammerhead sharp peripheral With 360 degree visual When the signal was given, MCs get biten with venom >From a poisonous algorithm liable to kill 'em My style will get in 'em, way up in 'em My face don't belong in The Source It belongs on the shroud of turan, for certain I grab mics and murder shit It's wickeder than Satan worshippers going to Catholic church services You heard of this The lyrical verbalist, trash herbalist The wrath of my cold-blooded verses is merciless Rap snap, get your ass cracked like bear traps Contaminate your air sacs like tear gas And I swear black, try to battle me, you won't last I'll turn your ass into the artist formerly known as, you gay ass fag I'll blow you to ashes with tactics Strip you naked, then make you hug a cactus, you bastard So phat to be a rap star, takin pictures at music seminars People know who you are Now I got mad shorties that wanna call me Because they saw me, up in The Source chillin on page 40 Put this in your CD-ROM www dot Canibus dot com You can find me on the internet talkin to chicks That was sweatin me off the Music Makes Me High remix I be talkin mad trash tryin to get 'em to laugh See, if I click and drag long enough, I'll get the ass Bring it
        bag to the lab on Mount Prospect Ave. Let your chicken suck me off and send her
        home in a cab You know how we do, liquid aluminum like the T2 Beast from the East part 2, comin to see you

1. I am DB Cooper profile image62

So you defend your point by giving us an example of one of Johnny Cash's songs that has little to do with violence and an example of one of Common's most controversial songs? I guess there's a good reason why Lady Love is never Lady Logic.

I could turn that around on you and show you a video clip of Common on Sesame Street talking with children vs. a clip of Johnny Cash being violent and drunk. The point is they both made mistakes in their past, but one is heralded by everyone while the other causes an uproar for being a guest at the White House. What about Ted Nugent, a man who waved a gun around on stage and announced that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton could "suck on this"? Sean Hannity wouldn't criticize him, because "Ted Nugent is my friend". If a rapper did that Hannity would have been calling for him to be arrested.

The Cash song I posted was one cited here where he says he shot a man just to watch him die. The other song cited in the Media was Claptons version of I shot the sheriff. I realize rap is a genre that generally is violent and misogynistic but not all if it and its hard to compare it to pop music maybe I can find some death metal or aryan rap... but then those artists weren't invited to the WH.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image62

"Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds
              I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down
              I went right home and I went to bed I stuck that lovin' 44 beneath my head"

Those are lyrics from the song "Cocaine Blues" by Johnny Cash, a man who met and received praise from at least two presidents (Richard Nixon and George W. Bush are the two that I know of, he may have met others). I respect Johnny Cash's music, but it's unfair to say Cash's lyrics are social commentary while Common's are glorifying violence.

2. lovemychris profile image76

Ted Nugent also called Obama a POS, and Hilary a frigid b*tch.

And not ONE word of condemnation from anyone at Faux.
            They Lie. Hannity said if anyone said crap about Obama he would be just as outraged.

Lie
            Lie
            Lie
            Lieing liars, the lot of em.

2. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

You are turning me OFF of Hubpages. Is that your intent?
    Congratulations...you make it not much fun to come here.

It's not even interesting...it's low-grade and insults my intelligence.

Good job.

Next Obama-Hate thread.....NEXT!

and NEXT

and NEXT

and NEXT

and NEXT

You are bringing down the whole place, IMO.
    You and all your identities/co-pilots/hasbara/koch-s*ckers.

Congrats.
    Maybe I'll check in later....probly not.

I'll miss you!

NOT !!!!

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

haha.
        Yeah, lovemychris doesn't like  hearing the truth about Obama or Michelle or anyone Leftist.

2. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You saw the title, why did you read the post?

You are bringing yourself down, no one else is.

She wasn't attacking the people, just the actions.

She's not allowed to say anything about them but you can be rude to her!!!
      Double standards

Oh please! She has nothing but disrespect for the president and his wife!

I don't have to like it, and I can express my dislike, just as much as she expressed her disrespect.

I am called a hater all the time for my dislike of Bush---there's the double-standard!

I'm a hater, but she is just "expressing her feelings".

She is bringing the conversation down...to the gutter!

And I am joining her!

White people are haters cause in their churches, they support the status qou. How you like it?

1. profile image0

I voted for the President and like them both, bit I still heard Michelle say that.

There's the RACE card again.

And by the way, I'm not a Christian.

OH please (your words back at you)

Yes--I'M playing the race card too...what, you think Lady is the only one who gets to use it?

I never said you were christian, I said the christians aren't as good as they think they are.

And NO ONE lives up to what they expect from others!

1. profile image0

I'm out of here.

3. dingdondingdon profile image60
    dingdondingdonposted 12 years ago

LaLo, you're back! Haven't seen you for quite a while.

4. iQwest profile image48
    iQwestposted 12 years ago

... and you do every forum post.

5. mikelong profile image60
    mikelongposted 12 years ago

She was down for GOP reprogramming...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Avn_Tynk97k/SOdthnjbhYI/AAAAAAAAAXY/8H19Q_iLwXc/s320/bensko.brainwashing.jpg

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lololol

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I've commended the FLOTUS for some of the things she's done, but this is a bad move. Common spouts hate against the government, against cops, and against women. There are so many other talented poets and artists she could have chosen who could serve as an inspirational role model for today's youth. I don't understand why she chose Common.

I do... because she hates America! 20 years in Reverend Wrights Church... and some of what she's said in the past clearly reveal her hatred for this country.

1. habee profile image93

I don't believe she hates America...I just believe she didn't think this decision through. I wonder if she allows her girls to listen to Common's rap? I hope not!

Here's some of her own words:
          "we’re a divided country, we’re a country that is “just downright mean,”we are “guided by fear,” we’re a nation of cynics, sloths, and complacents."

" for the first time in my adult life, i'm really proud of my country and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment."

And according to Carla Bruno Michelle told her being first lady is hell!

2. profile image0

Ted Nugent told The president to "suck on this"--a gun that was in his hand. The white crowd cheered.

He is a strong tea-party guy---on the stage with Beck at the first tea-party rally--on Hannity's show all the time.

Where's the outrage?

Where's the calling him out? Ever? He gets the star treatment.

Suck on this Obama......a gun.

1,000 bucks he's a good christian.

1. profile image0

What a rude thing to say. The President must be very patient or have a good sense of humor.

It wasn't with the president...it was at a concert. And the crowd loved it.

And he was on the stage with Beck on that first ever Tea-Party rally. Nugent is a big Bagger--he goes on Hannity's show, and no one says a word about Nugent's violent rhetoric.

It's a rigged deck, and they hold all the cards.

And they act like they are the victims.

They're despicable somethings...human beings I won't call them. They don't rate.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, with as much venom as you spit out regularly about America, it makes me question whether or not you really like America or Americans at all.

Just sayin.

7. mikelong profile image60

Hmmmm....George Bush and Dick Cheney heavily backed Enron executives....and successfully ensured that the Democratic governor (and potential presidential candidate at the time) Gray Davis, would be blamed for the energy crisis that was entirely Enron's b.s. creation...

But why is this far worse connection, and others like it, brushed off while some two-bit music-maker is chastized in this thread?

Misplaced priorities, misspelled words, and a misguided mind at work, as usual.

Welcome...dare I say it...back Lady of unLove.

http://www.poorwilliam.net/pix/bushlay.jpg

Mike, you could not be more wrong. Bush did not back Enron. When they came to him looking for a bailout he saqid NO. That was when Enron came clean about not being truthful with the books. AS they collapsed it was the begining of the dot com bust and several major corperations reported accounting errors and made adjustments

1. Jaydeus profile image62

Haha, you must not have known who Bush's main campaign contributor was in 2001.  Just a few months into office, he signed an executive order substantially raising California's energy prices, nearly bankrupting the state, all the while marking new record profits for, ya you know it, ENRON. 
        He also created that fail environmentally raping bill, what was it....umm...oh yea, the Clean Air Act I think it is called.  It deregulated pollution standards for energy companies *cough*ENRON*cough* so that they could ''regulate themselves and come up with their own policy''.  That is like convicting a criminal then letting him choose how to sentence himself. 
        Obvious crime against health and pro-Corporation is obvious.
        Bush raped our country, and we are still with child.

8. Jaydeus profile image62
    Jaydeusposted 12 years ago

On a more serious note, I find it increasingly amusing, all of this ''Obama hates America'' crap. 
    Common?  Really? 
    ''Burn a Bush cos for peace he no push no button''-Common
    PLEASE!  I sense that people who post this sh!t are either --
    A:  Jealous that no one with any artistic ability wanted to work with the former president, an obvious retard.(I use that term lightly, as I know several 'mentally challenged' people that have more sense than 'Dubya'.)
    OR
    B:  Completely lack any sense, as the obvious word analogy in the sentence, ''Burn a Bush cos for peace he no push no button'', escapes their tiny brains.

Go watch more Fox News opinion shows, I need to go 'drop bombs over Iraq' while 'disgracing the Porcelain God'.

1. dingdondingdon profile image60
      dingdondingdonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't listened to Common before (heard good things though) but I really like that lyric you posted. That's what rap should be about, clever wordplay like that.

2. hottopics profile image60

Jay, Typical response from an MSNBC listener

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

You do realize MSNBC is a cable channel right?

Your "listen to" comment was rather old-timey.

Sorry Ron

I have the TV on and listen while on the computer, so I listen more than look. And yes I know it is a cable chanel.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

OK, just tryin' to help. smile

LOL

3. hottopics profile image60

At this point, whats the difference. Obama already had prisoners at the Easter event at the QWhite House. Funny how none of the mainstream media picked up on that. Oh by the way, there was one report written about it. Turns out many of the prisoners were felons, 1 convicted of rape, several were convicted child molesters. Keep up the good vetting that you and your admin does Obama.

9. Rastamermaid profile image65
    Rastamermaidposted 12 years ago

It's obvious you are not familiar with this man,who was once known as Common Sense. Because he has it,he's an accomplished actor,songwriter,author and rapper.

He has many well written socially conscience songs and cds under his belt,and he's always been very positive.

He's an awesome actor also.

Do the research before you go spewing things that are not true,here's a wiki link for you to find out about the man,so you can do better because you know better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_(entertainer)
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5028573.jpg

1. Mighty Mom profile image78

Question: is this rapper the same as our own hubber logic,commonsense?
      I'm just askin! lol

2. habee profile image93

I've heard and read his lyrics. I didn't just "spew things that aren't true." I don't mind his seeming support of communism, but I do mind his portrayal of women and his support of violence. He uses the n-word and MF frequently in his lyrics, too. I'm not saying he doesn't have any talent, and I'm all for free speech. But it this really what we want to showcase as an example to our youth?

3. lady_love158 profile image61

Oh yeah he's brilliant!!! Lol! What garbage!!

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/common/heidihoe.html

1. DTR0005 profile image60
        DTR0005posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey how was your sabatical? I hear Devil's Island is to die for this time of year...

2. Rastamermaid profile image65
        Rastamermaidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Everyone has a right to their opinion and I definitely know where you stand and that's on you. I've never heard that song or those lyrics so it has to be old,maybe he's changed but if he did you wouldn't let him.

Can't please everyone,so he said a few unpopular things,he didn't shoot somebody in th face (Cheney),he didn't commit statutory rape(Polaski),I could go on and on with vicious acts and words of men some deem above reproach.I feel the above mention are worthless but some praise them.

So you know where I'm going with this....

You don't like Common,I do.

It's my choice,just as you have a choice.

Funny but I didn't see "Common's" name in the White House announcement. This event was streamed live and included students from some major universities. Barack said this in his opening remarks:

"We're here to celebrate the power of words and music to help us appreciate beauty, but also to understand pain; to inspire us to action, and to spur us on when we start to lose hope; to lift us up out of our daily existence --even if it's just for a few moments..."

"Inspire us to action"... what action? Killing cops? Burning the president? Hating gays? Disrespecting women? Those are the themes of Mr Common's work which the Obama's exposed their children to and endorsed and promoted to this nations young people. That's simply inappropriate regardless of whether you like his music or not.

1. John Holden profile image61
            John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe inspire to fight hatred, prejudice, disrespect.
            It shows a lot of disrespect for our young people if you suggest that they are unable to see irony, rather must follow slavishly everything they are told.
            Mind you, thinking about some examples of American education, you may have a point.

2. recommend1 profile image59
            recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Irony is SO clearly lost on you big_smile   

The inability to see representation and symbolism as higher forms of expression is typically why people become right wing, the same applies to christian - although this seems to be mostly the same thing. 

This is why you will never really understand irony, inference, etc.  This is a shame really because many books express their ideas in this way, including the bible.

Lol! Yet you don't see the obvious symbolism of inviting someone like common to the WH and you don't see the irony of Common's lyrics calling for the Burning of Bush and his performance at Obama's WH and you claim I'll never understand irony or inference??? Lol!

1. Rastamermaid profile image65
                Rastamermaidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What I see is exactly how leftist (prejudice) some hubbers really are.

That's really what it comes down to.

I'm just going to be the hubber that puts it out there.

Just as Bush doesn't give a damn about black people,rigs elections and messes up a country that Clinton had finally gotten to a decent point.

It's obvious that alot of leftist (prejudice) people like yourself are even madder he's successfully cleaning up Bush's mess.

This thread is as racist as the KKK,I know I'm not the only one that sees it,but I'm the only one calling it out.

Maybe one day you'll see the light!

*Yawn* Not the "race card" again!!!
                  Show me where race was mentioned once by anyone other than you and any other kefty lion that sees racist in everyone that doesn't accept the liberal agenda!

In fact I will go so far as to accuse you and all the other left wing racist finger pointers as using racism as a tool to quiet dissent and limit free speech and real dialogue! Isn't that REALLY what your post is about?

Race is raised when black rappers are called evil for their lyrics and white country singers are not.

2. nightwork4 profile image61
                    nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

the "race card" is what is being used in your post. i'm canadian but i am interested in U.S. politics as it effects the whole world. common's lyrics are based on observations, life and reality of what happens every day and i think it is a good thing that the WH recognises this. As people on this forum have said, johnny cash promoted more violence then most rappers but i guess being white, it's ok. that my dear lady is irony at it's best.

10. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Gotta say, this thread is already all over the map, from rappers to the Pillsbury Dough Boy to Jesus to Michelle Obama hates America (are we taking a brief break now that her hubby has sorta kinda proved he doesn't hate America by snuffing out our #1 public enemy OBL)?

Oy yoy yoy!
    We is truly on a ROLL (or role) now, folks!!!

1. S Leretseh profile image60
      S Leretsehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Uh, not quite.  Hunting bin laden was a military exercise.  Obama inherited the operation from Bush.  He couldn't shut it down even if he wanted to.  The Joint Chiefs basically do what THEY want. The president historically (last 50 years) goes along. 

As for Michelle O., she's despicable. Enough said

11. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

The visceral response to why MO would choose a rapper is that rap resonates with Americans (especially young Americans -- who were the mainstay of BO's 2008 win). Finding evidence to back this "gut feeling" up was not as easy as I expected.
    Found a couple of polls that said 47-50% of Americans listen to rap.

Here's a nugget from billboard.biz:
    Nielsen SoundScan Adds Digital Song Genre Reports; Rock Tops 2010 Digital Song Sales
    January 20, 2011

By Andy Gensler
    Nielsen SoundScan has added new Digital Song Genre Reports to its cache of services.  These reports are based on the Digital Song Genre Charts that debuted in early-2010 in a partnership with Billboard.

These reports offer a new capabilities such as  the ability to break music sales down by genre market share and detailed DMA (Designated Market Area) genre reports.  Genre designations are key understanding market trends within the music industry.

..."Some of the data the new report generated include digital song sales by genre.  In 2010, for example, the report found that
    In 2010 Rock was the most popular genre with a 27% market share, followed by Pop at 25.4%, and R&B/Hip-Hop with a 21.9% share.

Also broken down is the percentage of catalog sales, with rock having much higher back catalog sales (72.4%) than the more hit-driven genre Rap (33.9%), in which the majority of sales are newer releases."

Clearly, the Obamas aren't going to reach out to Nashville for their celebrity support (as per Bushco). Still, next time Michelle has an invitation for a poet she might want to go with someone more rock n' roll or pop....

12. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I've seen stuff just as bad in the Bible, but that gets plenty of promotion.

13. mikelong profile image60

Actually, I am correct.

When Gray Davis called on the President and Vice President to mobilize federal regulators, but they told him that there was "nothing that they could do"....

After the fall of Enron, however, Davis was justified, and the Bush/Cheney Administration looks fully complicit..

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXu1QiTh … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9olxQqxy … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8eU4KLr … re=related

Pay close attention...

14. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 12 years ago

I heard him rap and personally couldn't believe it. I rather not add fuel to the fire.

1. Julie2 profile image59
      Julie2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have never found a problem with Common as an MC or Actor. I didn't get to see what he did at the White House so I can not speak of it. I'll have to find a link to check it out.

15. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

"JUST LIKE when Nixon invited Johnny Cash to the White House even though he sang "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die."

Excellent point!!
    Nixon also had Elvis in there, at the height of Elvi's drug use...according to Pricilla--he used to drop acid and get mesmerized by the grass!!
    Nixon deputized him, even.

Even though Elvis promoted promiscuity and sexual freedom, eh LL?

Oh, the cad! The scoundrel! The The The.......the Freak! Sick, really, huh Flippin?

(why, I heard that ole Elvis the Pelvis described an event once...he said "good-god!, that girl just gave me the best BJ ever!"

Ooops, and invited to the white house he was......OH, the horror!~

16. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Lady has got a point

We are often judged by the company we keep.

http://badattitudes.com/MT/greenspan-bush.jpg

17. Maembe profile image59
    Maembeposted 12 years ago

Great choice, Common is awesome.  Of course, this never would have happened to a white musician.

I already adressed THAT nonsense earlier... color has nothing to do with the garbage that Common spews.

2. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

@maembe agreed..

18. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

So.... you put 2 and 2 together and conclude she promotes hatred...

1. StayPos profile image74
      StayPosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

- An amazing assertion and quite confusing too -

You invite someone to an event and anything they ever did that was misguided, foolish or hateful means YOU are promoting it ??

1. S Leretseh profile image60
        S Leretsehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

COMMONS -- never renounced his hate. Mrs. O is on record for participating in hate events (Trinity Church). She made an "I've always hated  America' remark (consistent with her choice of church and pastor).  She should be doing everything she can to rebuild relations with white people. Instead, she invites a person to an event with a baggage of hate. It's not just stupid, it's who she is.  She  - IMO - hates America.  It would be fine with me, but it's not fine when she's in THAT house.   That house she lives in belongs to ALL of America! Everything done in THAT house dude, MUST promote racial harmony , respect for America...and respect for police.

19. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

LOL LOL LOL ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

20. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Laura Bush once invited poets to the WH for a discussion dinner, and then cancelled the dinner because the group of prominent poets had the audacity to express anti-war sentiments, poetry for peace.

They weren't given the chance for free expression in a free country at the White House.

21. AnnCee profile image68
    AnnCeeposted 12 years ago

Hey!  Ladyloves back!  http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/1sm180congrat.gif

22. AnnCee profile image68
    AnnCeeposted 12 years ago

Oh goody, Common gonna build their own nation!  He and his pal Reverend Wright. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSXnQkqY … r_embedded

1. PerfectJumpOff profile image59
      PerfectJumpOffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How would that be any different from Baker,Swaggart and a host of other bible thumpers,yet pumpers.

Common is a rapper with a message and a purpose,just too bad you want his purpose to be be negative.But as you see not everyone is not on your bandwagon.

Free speech is for everyone,if you don't like it change the channel and just turn if off.

You don't have to allow anything in your life you don't want.

But I have every right to listen to what i want,as he has every right to say what he wants.

With that being said......

Handle your own life,loves and beliefs and do not be lead by people whose only agenda is hate and ridicule.

23. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I think those vociferously lambasting a rapper for promoting hate are pointing out the mote in his eye and missing the log in theirs.

24. profile image53
    Jesse616posted 12 years ago

A question i have is this website more right, left, or moderate? I tend to see myself as right in the middle, but im definantly open to all viewpoints that are right wing or left. Are you guys open to talk about this? I can explain, the people common was bringing up are not cop killers just wrongly accused. Now the guy that wrote this, i will prove her wrong on everything and prove the people she is claiming are cop killers are innocent political activists that were involved in civil rights and various movements for freedom in the 60s and 70s that were wrongly accused and unjustly brought down for their political views. You ready for this?

1. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bring it on then.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The tea party, and, by association, begins to reveal themselves as another version of the Ku Klux Klan. And I USED to like Nugent, but, having seen the clips, and I think that the hubbub was actually over the artist "Common", not familiar w/ him. But, Nugents antics made me feel like Krystalnacht can't be far away. Google it if you aren't familiar. Are they sure cloning Abe is out of the question....after all, they just might listen to him.

sorry 'bout that..."by association, the republican party." didn't want anyone to think I was self censoring. LOL!

Now...for Michelle. She had a big mouth before her husband sat in the chair. Talking about the "pride in America" comment. Good thing she's not the Prez. but still doesn't make him look good. Racial prejudice is a stream of bitter water which flows in all directions.  I wonder if they both realize that she will go down in history as a sore winner, and one of the least lady-like 1st Ladies of our nation's 200 yr + history. Hey! Michelle, you might not get four more years to show your lack of glass...You don't want your post white-house neighbors to complain because their property values just fell (Although, many are already) Maybe, just maybe, mind you, it might be time to stop thinking about how you are FIRST, and start thinking about being a lady.

Ding it that's "CLASS" not "GLASS"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)