jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is Portman (R- Oh) another sign that the Republican Party is falling apart?

1. IDONO profile image82
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

Is Portman (R- Oh) another sign that the Republican Party is falling apart?

Here we go again. Portman is now in favor of gay marriage, since he found out his son is gay. Like he didn't know 4 months ago while coaching Romney for debates. And in 4 months, his moral views of gay marriage did a 180. If his son's stomach growls, maybe he'll be in favor of more food stamps.
         This is typical. Again, cut programs. As long as they don't effect mine. Maybe the 47% are good people after all. I'm independent and think their party better clean their own house before telling me how to clean mine and expecting my vote.

2. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

I don't really like it when politicians change their positions solely based on politics. But at the same time I wouldn't want them to NOT change their position solely based upon politics.

I tend to think that most biases are opinions people hold about groups that they have very little contact with. Suddenly coming into contact with someone of the particular group should change ones opinion, especially when it is in a such a personal way.

Would he have done it if the Republican party wasn't in such shambles? Maybe not, but I don't think this is a sign of bad things for the Republican party. The only way I really see them ever being viable is if they shed their antiquated social positions. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they could grow the party by simply focusing on fiscal sensibility and moderate government.

3. LandmarkWealth profile image81
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

Why is it that Senator Portman (who I am no fan of)  changing his position is a sign of the party falling apart.  But when President Obama also recently changed his position on gay marriage, that is not a sign of the democratic party falling apart.  Seems like a curious question.  It sounds like both are simply pandering to whichever way the wind is currently blowing. 

Neither party is falling apart.  In fact they both have quite the strangle hold on the political system. The last election was extremely close.  More so than the 2008 election.  There has been no great shift in the electorate for either party.  Elections tend to depend on enthusiasm, which leads to voter turnout.  And conservatives were not particularly sold on Mitt Romney or John McCain.  As such Romney earned less votes nationally than John McCain by more than 2 million.  The only reason the race was closer than it was in 2008 was President Obama lost even more votes by about 9 million from the prior election. In 2008 the President won 52% of the vote nationally.  And the Republican Challenger won 45%.  In 2012 the margin narrowed to about 50% for the President and 48% for the Republican Challenger.  So while they republicans didn't win the Presidential race, they actually gained ground from the last election cycle among those that turned out.  That's hardly a sign of self destructing.

All that is happening in the Republican party is  more true conservatives like Rand Paul are helping to purge the party of the country club republicans that are no less big gov't bureaucrats than most of the democrats.  And that is a healthy process for the party as far as I am concerned.

1. IDONO profile image82
      IDONOposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Space was factor in my ?.  Crazy abortion statements during campaign. Christy for Obamacare. Rubio thrown under bus for rebuttal. Now Portman. Their causes may be good, but they seem to undo what they do. It only takes a few to make them look bad.

2. LandmarkWealth profile image81
      LandmarkWealthposted 5 years agoin reply to this

if crazy statements caused the party to fall apart, then Biden wiped out the democrats years ago. Rubio did fine & Christie was never part of the conservative movement.  This is just politics as usual and an internal power struggle.