Breaking news: new attacks!!

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (99 posts)
  1. blue dog profile image59
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

according to the barackstar, "new attacks are being plotted as" he speaks.  sounding more and more like bush every day.  opinions on tonite's speech?

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not watching it, its scares me to think what he'll do...heard he is deploying more to Afghanistan this month.

2. profile image0
      Writer Riderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't know, didn't hear it. Didn't want to...I think we should just end the wars and bring our troops home.

3. readytoescape profile image60
      readytoescapeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought it was a bit weak, he tried to talk tough, but it was kinda of like watching a flower child fumbling to load a machine gun.

I did like the time frame for Afgan responsiblity though

4. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It seems that as president one is required to deal with reality (eventually!) in order to try and keep the country safe. Ignoring dangers is so much easier on the campaign trail.

5. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, that was quite surprising ... all of a sudden we're in danger again? can we spell j-u-s-t-i-f-i-c-a-t-i-o-n?

i guess i still don't understand how this surge is going to eliminate the threat of terrorism, i mean, aren't these so-called terrorists everywhere?

p.s. i can disagree with the President and still support our troops, which i do, all the way. they are sacrificing everything.

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I suppose you know how much they are !! sad sad sad
        What a pity, really ! They're so young to be put in that trial.

2. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

No matter what, the powers that be will  always try to justify their actions. Obama is not alone in this. It is a sad refrain.

3. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

To rouse the sleeping. Rattle the sabre, thump the chest? Swing public opinion in the absence of another Twin Towers incident.

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Yes, and I fear for my baby son the Marine!

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

!

5. Bovine Currency profile image59
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

he does what he is told, simple.

6. Bovine Currency profile image59
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

neeever gonna happen.

1. profile image0

Something tells me that never is not a good idea. Now is. I certainly hope he's right.

7. blue dog profile image59

the change that many hoped for and that all were promised has turned into nothing more than a pipe dream.  not since kennedy were expectations so high as they were a mere 10 months ago.  never have i seen someone with such an opportunity squander the entire cause.  daily, certainly weekly, he backtracks and wiggles.

the charm is gone.

1. profile image0

Don't know. I still believe in him but all in all not in Washington politicians. Safe Dennis Kucinich. I'm giving him a few more months.

1. Himitsu Shugisha profile image70
        Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Finally, a voice of reason here. Folks, as much as we would like Super Barack to save the world in a day, it just doesn't work that way. I know the expectations are high stemming from his campaign, but give the man a chance to do his job, I think you'll be happy with the end result.

With regards to the war, he didn't make a rash decision, he thought this through, and he obviously sees something that we don't. Let the President be the president, and let's support our troops.

Yes! Support your troops killing more innocent people, and getting mentally deranged in the process.

1. Himitsu Shugisha profile image70

Really?! That's the mission of the war? That's the reason why all those brave men and women have risked and lost their lives? To kill innocent people? So the Taliban and Al Qaida are innocent now? I can see where your heart is, but that's not a fair painting of this issue.

Not all people dying in wars are taliban or Al qaida.
              i was talking of you Americans as well !
              How can you be so childish ??
              and i'm being kind with you
              I should have used another word !! sad

2. blue dog profile image59
              blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

go read crossing the rubicon if you want to understand the "mission of the war." try keeping emotion and high drama out of the discussion.

1. sooner than later profile image61
                sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you would take your own advice- oh and not speek, you would be likable.

2. Himitsu Shugisha profile image70

This coming from the man who stated "that it's high time that America gets the ass-kicking it deserves?!" Uh, yeah, thanks for the advice, but no thanks.

as suggested, go read crossing the rubicon.  after that, spend some time with any of the native americans of this country.  if you need specifics, go to the agriculturally rich region of the four corners, you know, where many of the "reservations" are. spend some time with those folks, if you can stomach the rampant alcoholism and squalid living conditions that our government has bestowed upon them.  then, after you've spent a few weeks with them, ask them how they feel about america's "colonial" period of the 1700's. 

after that, go read american dynasty.  then we can have an intelligent discussion.

1. tksensei profile image60

Does he have to do all that in order? Is there a checklist or something you have to sign off on before the intelligent discussion officially begins?

3. tksensei profile image60

That was a good, reasonable post. Well said.

Sure !!

Not all people dying in wars are taliban or Al qaida.
                i was talking of you Americans as well !

It seems you don't care.
                You're another puppet of The 'American Way of Live '
                nice 'way'
                I'm lucky I have another ways in life !

It sure was.

2. tantrum profile image60

this is the complete post, cheater ! lol

3. Himitsu Shugisha profile image70

I'm not going to argue with you. Obviously you have your perspective of America and its policies and I have mine. But believe me, I'm no puppet. I stand by one credence, "My country right or wrong. If it's right, keep it right, if it's wrong, make it right." And as a former military man, we didn't have a say in the mission, we just had to get the job done. That's why I support the troops. Not the policy, but the men and women who are doing their jobs.

I understand you, even I don't agree. cool

2. sooner than later profile image61

He's been in there a year, it would be nice to see something SOON.

2. profile image0
      Ken R. Abellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with that.  The hope & change was all very nebulous.  When pressed during the campaign it really came down to the warm fuzzies his charisma gave everyone, PLUS he was NOT Bush.

IMHO, he has proven himself to be nothing more than a run of the mill politician.  Not the transformative & transcendent figure he & his handlers packaged & sold to the American electorate.

There is something incredibly political in his timeline.  We're surging in for eighteen months then pulling out in the summer of 2011 with all the troops home by 2012, which holy moly, happens to be a presidential election year when he will be seeking a second term.

8. sooner than later profile image61
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

then the world started giving nobel peace prizes for theatrics. sigh.

1. profile image0

They gave him a peace prize for changing the diplomatic tone. It was a rebuke of GWB.

very true. it was awarded on the feeling of inspiration he helped create prior to 02.01.09.  still, after tonite's speech, emotions must be running high right about now with members of the nobel peace prize committee.

yeah, that capped with his troubles on guantanamo and the fact that those detainees are ending up in worse places than that facility(he wont close it). Or maybe the fact that he renewed the "patriot act" that he so strongly opposed. No, I know what it is- he took the troops out of Iraq.

2. profile image56
        C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was also awarded to "influence" an extremely influential world leader. I think its wrong for a sitting President/PM/Cabinate Member etc to accept such an award. It's dangerously close to crossing the line of "Conflict of Interest".

9. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

I disagree, BD.  He was pretty much saying the same thing before he was elected, calling Bush out for choosing a conflict with Iraq when Afghanistan was the real war we should have been concentrating on.

Plus, we were and are already there, folks.  He's calling for an escalation now, probably in a long term/short term analysis to win and remove an American presence from the country as soon as possible.

War is never pretty, but this is a move of a pragmatic nature, given all the variables.  Anyone have another proposal?  I have one: nobody would go for it.  Instate a gas tax, and make a plan to absolutely eliminate the need for foreign oil within 2 years. Suck it up, people...just like the Danish did.

OK, so we lazy Americans won't do that.  There would be a squawk on that heard loud and deep from across a platform of voters, Republican and Democrats alike.  Hence, Obama talking about our country's "prosperity."  Not sure he has another choice?

hi lita,
      i'll go along with that gas tax for certain, also one on procreation (take away the tax deductions on that one), and a divorce tax as well.  i digress.

the problem with afghanistan is that the people we are fighting now were armed by, yes, us.   our newest most current enemy were previously cia/isi assets.

1. profile image0

Well, I'm glad we didn't create a third war at least.

Israel and Iran are about to kick that one off.

1. profile image0

I highly doubt it. Iran is interested in Iran's interest alone. Personally, I think their interest would have to be provoked. Israel doesn't have a war with Iran.

within 6 months we will see an air strike. will they try to retaliate determines if we see a war or not. US seems to think it will happen, that's why our missile defence systems are parked in Israel right now.

Also note how quiet the Israelies are right now. Iran announces, Israel pounces.

1. profile image0

Well, I can't claim to be Middle Eastern but I know the Middle Eastern mentality having associations with them, including Persians, and I believe they won't do anything against their personal interest. They are a profit motivated society (a bit like the ferengi). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

2. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha.  You'd have some mad 'kid' people on your hands, who believe they should all have tax breaks.  smile

Yep.  A real mess.  And I know we use small countries in such a way on a personal level:  I worked with the Hmong (Laotian hill people who were trained the same way), and if you saw the other thread where I blathered on about Georgia and Sakashvilli...

2. profile image56

"Anyone have another proposal?  I have one: nobody would go for it.  Instate a gas tax, and make a plan to absolutely eliminate the need for foreign oil within 2 years. Suck it up, people...just like the Danish did."

While I wouldn't agree with another gas tax. I don't think most Americans truely see the link between failed foriegn policy and foriegn oil dependency. Your right, until America is energy independent this "war" problem will persist.

1. rhamson profile image71
        rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is refreshing to see someone addressing the heart of the issue.  Americas addiction to foreign oil is and always will be at the center of the issue.  It is like the 800 pound gorilla no one talks about. 

Politicians avoid it like the plague and Big Oil pays for their silence.  Keep America on Big Oils t%t and don't let up while all the minions and common folk buy the terror war. 

This is one of the greatest hoaxes played on us and we continue with this moral quest to wipe out terrorism in the world.  Hell we are still catching Nazis 60 plus years later.  How are we going to erradicate this vermin any easier.

If we had an alternative fuel (which we do by the way and is non-poluting) that would power our existing technology and pulled out of the middle east, including Israel, we could in effect let the place ignite itself and who would care.

I take it you support increased research and exploitation of resources in our own territory that we could be taking advantage of? Clean coal? Nuclear? Off shore drilling, etc.?

I hope you're not one of those who somehow thinks we can flip a switch and run the country on windmills starting tomorrow.

There is no flip of the switch to fix any of it.  There is technology that has been developed to run our cars and machinery on hydrogen from water.  The military and NASA have been working on it but it is not for us as Big Oil has conveniently blocked its introduction.

If Big Oil could begin selling us water then you might get the chance to use it.

Clean coal, nuclear, off shore drilling help only to perpetuate our nead for oil and do nothing to wean us off of it.

So, we could just start using that tomorrow? Or do the Flintstone thing for a few decades until we're all set for energy-topia?

Your sarcasm is always well noted as I see by others in this string.

I can see you have doubts based on your lack of expertise in this area and have bought into the right wings answer of no change just keep paying Big Oil.  No sense trying to enlighten someone who obviously has their mind set in the past. I was hoping more from you but I guess that is beyond my expectations.  Sometimes you exibit some clarity on the issues.

I notice a liberal tendency to want to believe anything they've ever read is some great secret and this advanced knowledge is one (but only one) thing that makes them superior to poor common folk who languish in desperate ignorance.

Hydrogen fuel cells are not recently declassified secrets.

I've actually had someone oh-so-dramatically put the question to me: "Do you know what the capital of Georgia is?" as if it were some arcane secret that only the chosen few might know! LOL! Take it easy folks, you're all important in your own way. No need to beg for recognition.

I don't know why I respond to your posts but maybe it is because your lack of knowledge on the subjects that compells me to try and reason with you.

Hydgogen fuel cells are the latest craze promoted by guess who? Big Oil.  Why would they want you to switch to another source of energy?  Because it requires a lot of electricity generated by fossil fuels to produce. This way we all stay on the Big Oil t%t and we are placated by dreaming that we are being environmentally responsible and that there is a renewable energy we will not have to get from overseas. A common shortsighted American solution.

The technology I refer to is an actual onboard hydrogen generator that produces hydrogen on demand.  No storage, no potential bomb or fire.  The only by product is water. If you want to investigate this farther then follow this link.

http://www.waterpoweredcar.com/stanmeyer.html

I will grant you that the originator of this technology is a bit of a loon, but most inventors are.  At least the successful ones.

I hope you can keep an open mind.  Hey surprises happen.

2. rhamson profile image71
          2. profile image56

Definitely not.  In order to do so though we must first become energy independent. As long as you are dependent on someone else for resources you are stuck with what they are selling. We must maximize the use of our own natural resources, by what ever means necessary. Drill ANWR, drill of the cost of Cali. Once done we can began to make bigger strides to getting off oil completely. Oil touches everything we use, thats a single point of failure. Oil has for far too long influenced foriegn policy.

Sounds reasonable.

10. sooner than later profile image61
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

another tax to "suck up" no thanks. I think we need to get the Federal Reserve under lockdown and imprison the guilty sniffed out by an audit.

11. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

I also thought is was interesting that he elluded to entering into Pakistan if required.

12. blue dog profile image59

so far, one of the highlights of his time in office is that he did change the wording on the global war of terror.  but you're right, now it's the everywhere war on terror.

as long as america projects its imperialistic attitude on the rest of the world, there will always be a preacher saying "new attacks are being plotted."

it's only a matter of time before someone comes along and gives america the ass-kicking it so rightfully deserves.

2. tksensei profile image60

I hope true believers like you will have taken up arms on the side of whomever tries.

Me too:)

while internet trolls may buy into "hope" the reality is that hope has little to do with it.

3. manlypoetryman profile image81

Spoken like a loyal American...Where would you have them start...with our troops or in the Texas Hill country?

Geeez...I don't follow your line of thinking about getting our _ss kicked...at all!

I think some people get caught up in the emotion of issues (and they like to throw in a bit they think sounds 'tough' while essentially advocating the weakening of the nation).

yeah...a little too dramatic,TK...I think...just to make a point!

Some seem to have a flair for the dramatic.

I have a flair for America...but then I'm crazy like that!

If you gotta have a flair, that's the one to have!

i don't recall asking you, tex.

Is his name 'Tex'? And do you have to wait to be asked before responding?

actually, it's a texan with a little t, among other names.  but then, mish, uh, tk, you wouldn't know anything about that.

Your a simpleton...among many things...and you try to spew out intelligence...oh brother!

2. manlypoetryman profile image81

i don't recall having to wait for you to ask, tex

4. rhamson profile image71

We do think a lot of ourselves don't we.  Our conquests have been many and lately immoral.  It is a lot like the Romans in that we feel our military and economic might will prove superior.  Trump it up with some made up crap and damn the torpedos full speed ahead.

Unfortunately we are set up as a warrior nation and war manufacturing giant.  To feed the machine we need to use it once in awhile.

Funny part is we are getting our ass kicked and don't know it yet.  At least we share something in common with the other late great super power the soviets,  we are getting our ass kicked by the same enemy.

13. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

scary

the President said (not last night, but recently) that if Iran continues with its nuclear tomfoolery "there will be consequences".

i wonder what that means.

Not very difficult to imagine !

2. sooner than later profile image61

Eh, air strikes against the nuke facilities, their air defence, and the terrorists aligning their borders. just my thought.

3. tksensei profile image60

From The Obama? It means nothing, and Iran well knows it.

14. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

yes.

he will have to back up those words.

15. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

I don't advocate anyone getting their asses kicked. I especially don't think myself judge, jury, and executioner of the same country that, though not perfect, has given my family opportunities their own native countries did not provide. I do believe in self-defense, however. If you advocate kicking America's butt, you advocate kicking the butts of my friends, neighbors, and family.

What makes you think I deserve to have my butt kicked?

You don't, and despite any impassioned rhetoric by certain emotive elements here, there isn't a country or group of countries on this earth that would dare give it a try.

The funny part is that you are getting your butt kicked and you don't even know it.  Granted it probably is pretty numb now.

1. Valerie F profile image60
          Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Uh, no, I think I'd actually know if anyone was kicking my butt. That being said, the funny part is that when I know I'm getting my butt kicked, I don't sit around and just let it happen, blaming myself for other people's irrational hatred.

Explain the decline of the dollar and the confidence the rest of the world has in it.  For so many years the trade for oil energy has been based on the US dollar.  Recently Saudi Arabia and soon to follow OPEC countries will be trading oil in euros which have proven to be more stable in the latest crisis.

Carrying on two wars and spending so much money to bail out the very rich we are set up to recieve not only a royal butt kicking but a woop a*s but kicking when our number gets called.

What good will all our conquests and military strength get us then? We will be defeated by our short sighted behavior and arrogance to believe we are greater than we are.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)