jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Do people hate someone because of his or her success?

1. greatstuff profile image95
    greatstuffposted 4 years ago

Do people hate someone because of his or her success?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

I can't imagine why. But, yes I do believe some are capable of this.

3. Jeannieinabottle profile image90
    Jeannieinabottleposted 4 years ago

Some people do hate others because of their success.  I am usually quite happy for those around me that find success.  This is especially the case for my fellow hubbers that publish books or find blogging success. 

However, I will admit I do get annoyed when someone finds success without really earning it.  For instance, when someone is promoted at work simply because he happens to be the boss's son; this is especially the case if there are others at the job that are more than qualified for the position he got, but he is not qualified at all.  Still, I can usually get over that quickly.  It can't be easy for a person to struggle to get through the day without the respect of co-workers and always feeling overwhelmed.

1. Anselome profile image75
      Anselomeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I will agree with you. I'm all for celebrating the success of others, so long as they've earned it. And thank you for pointing out the other side of it. I've never thought about it like that. It must be difficult not being respected.

4. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I don't hate anyone "for their success" - actually I try not to "hate" anyone as it doesn't solve problems.  I only get angry at those who build success by stepping all over others to get it.  If you have to violate the human rights of others to be a "success" then I have a problem with that. 

An example might be a certain shock jock who has made millions chastising and disparaging women, gays and anyone else he doesn't agree with.  His "success" has been earned through hate and vile behavior over intelligent discussion.  He is not worth the energy it takes to hate him, but I sure don't respect anything about how he's earned his "success"...

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

If people hate successful people it is for two primary reasons.
    First, there is envy of the success the person has achieve and the assumption that he got "all the breaks."
    Second, there dislike of people who use there success to harm, abuse or belittle others in his drive to become "successful."

1. WalterPoon profile image79
      WalterPoonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Larry Wall!!! I only thought of the first one. Thanks for the second!

2. watergeek profile image96
      watergeekposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Related to the envy is the belief in scarcity, i.e. if he's successful, it means I can't be. Money is the same thing. "They've got all the money, so there's none left for me." I'm working to change that belief into "there's enough for all, even me."

6. Beata Stasak profile image82
    Beata Stasakposted 4 years ago

We as a people tend to think better of ourselves (or worse) than we really are, in both occassion we struggle with that comparision of us, unfortunate, unsuccessful and them, fortunate and successful. First of all, we should stop comparing ourselves to others. Secondly, we should realize that success is often just the case of perservance and hard work, not so much inborn gift or just matter of luck.
    And finally, everyone sees success in something else,what satisfies one is not enough for the other...so how can you really measure success?

7. xmags profile image89
    xmagsposted 4 years ago

It is possible but it might not always be the case. Some people have what we call "crab mentality," aptly named because those who exhibit this kind of behavior act like crabs who keep pulling others down whenever they see anyone getting above/ahead of them. I still believe in the innate kindness of people though, that given the right opportunities, we can be really happy for those around us who find success. I personally find it annoying though when someone who isn't deserving becomes successful. It makes me feel like the world is twisted.

8. greatstuff profile image95
    greatstuffposted 4 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks for commenting and contributing your thoughts and answers to my question. I guess it further reinforced my feelings that people who hate someone for their success, is in a way adopting the same behavior that prevented them from being successful. However as ChristinS and Jeannieinabottle had correctly said, there are also people who gained success through hate and vile behaviors, and there are quite a few of them around!