Do people hate someone because of his or her success?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. greatstuff profile image92
    greatstuffposted 10 years ago

Do people hate someone because of his or her success?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

I can't imagine why. But, yes I do believe some are capable of this.

3. Jeannieinabottle profile image89
    Jeannieinabottleposted 10 years ago

Some people do hate others because of their success.  I am usually quite happy for those around me that find success.  This is especially the case for my fellow hubbers that publish books or find blogging success. 

However, I will admit I do get annoyed when someone finds success without really earning it.  For instance, when someone is promoted at work simply because he happens to be the boss's son; this is especially the case if there are others at the job that are more than qualified for the position he got, but he is not qualified at all.  Still, I can usually get over that quickly.  It can't be easy for a person to struggle to get through the day without the respect of co-workers and always feeling overwhelmed.

1. Anselome profile image69
      Anselomeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I will agree with you. I'm all for celebrating the success of others, so long as they've earned it. And thank you for pointing out the other side of it. I've never thought about it like that. It must be difficult not being respected.

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I don't hate anyone "for their success" - actually I try not to "hate" anyone as it doesn't solve problems.  I only get angry at those who build success by stepping all over others to get it.  If you have to violate the human rights of others to be a "success" then I have a problem with that. 

An example might be a certain shock jock who has made millions chastising and disparaging women, gays and anyone else he doesn't agree with.  His "success" has been earned through hate and vile behavior over intelligent discussion.  He is not worth the energy it takes to hate him, but I sure don't respect anything about how he's earned his "success"...

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 10 years ago

If people hate successful people it is for two primary reasons.
    First, there is envy of the success the person has achieve and the assumption that he got "all the breaks."
    Second, there dislike of people who use there success to harm, abuse or belittle others in his drive to become "successful."

1. WalterPoon profile image68
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Larry Wall!!! I only thought of the first one. Thanks for the second!

2. watergeek profile image93
      watergeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Related to the envy is the belief in scarcity, i.e. if he's successful, it means I can't be. Money is the same thing. "They've got all the money, so there's none left for me." I'm working to change that belief into "there's enough for all, even me."

6. Beata Stasak profile image80
    Beata Stasakposted 10 years ago

We as a people tend to think better of ourselves (or worse) than we really are, in both occassion we struggle with that comparision of us, unfortunate, unsuccessful and them, fortunate and successful. First of all, we should stop comparing ourselves to others. Secondly, we should realize that success is often just the case of perservance and hard work, not so much inborn gift or just matter of luck.
    And finally, everyone sees success in something else,what satisfies one is not enough for the other...so how can you really measure success?

7. xmags profile image80
    xmagsposted 10 years ago

It is possible but it might not always be the case. Some people have what we call "crab mentality," aptly named because those who exhibit this kind of behavior act like crabs who keep pulling others down whenever they see anyone getting above/ahead of them. I still believe in the innate kindness of people though, that given the right opportunities, we can be really happy for those around us who find success. I personally find it annoying though when someone who isn't deserving becomes successful. It makes me feel like the world is twisted.

8. greatstuff profile image92
    greatstuffposted 10 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks for commenting and contributing your thoughts and answers to my question. I guess it further reinforced my feelings that people who hate someone for their success, is in a way adopting the same behavior that prevented them from being successful. However as ChristinS and Jeannieinabottle had correctly said, there are also people who gained success through hate and vile behaviors, and there are quite a few of them around!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)