Why Do So Many People Hate Jesus and Christianity?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (226 posts)
  1. The Donkey profile image61
    The Donkeyposted 14 years ago

Tons of people get upset, uncomfortable, or edgy when you bring up the subject about Jesus, God, or religion. Why do you think that is? Everything about Jesus is good. So why do we love to hate him so much?

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One simple explanation for you.

Jesus wasn't a preacher of religion's god. Christianity didn't exist before Jesus. Jesus' work wasn't religious. The religious leaders saw him as a threat to their religious belief, which would ultimately threaten their ruler-ship and decided to execute him.

The Roman Catholic Church has a perceived notion of chaos, IF humankind isn't held accountable to a higher authority. This notion is based on a pathetic assumption that ALL human beings are evil in nature. This is an out-right lie.

It claims Jesus died for the sins of humankind. Another lie. As I described above. Only those of religious view accuse every other person of being evil in nature. If you don't believe in Jesus or "GOD" or Both? Then you are condemned.

I have had this discussion before in many forum threads and my main goal is get people to understand that- to better understand Jesus' work, you must separate it from religion.

When you do this, then there is NO GOD left. The "GOD" concept was a primitive methodology used to control society, but as more people became aware, that religion's "GOD" concept was false. Civilization of humankind exploded forward, at the time, it was mostly controlled by the Religious Establishment or Church or God-Kings/Oracles and Mystics.

Because, the connection is false and Jesus told people to not submit to religion's "GOD".

Yet, Jesus' work is inside religion, so as to protect the hoax.

Any common-sense objective viewing of any bible, will show the bible of religion is absolutely absurd.

1. profile image52
        stardustkitten44posted 11 years agoin reply to this

>The Roman Catholic Church has a perceived notion of chaos, IF humankind isn't held accountable to a higher authority. This notion is based on a pathetic assumption that ALL human beings are evil in nature. This is an out-right lie.

What evidence have you to support this claim? Because it seems legit to me. Just look at all the obviously visible evil in this world? The heartbreak, the murder, the destruction? You don't see any of that?

2. profile image0
        GalaxyRatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Jesus is real, hunny. That's all I gotta say, and He's here to repent your sins. Ya just gotta ask.

1. profile image0
          jonnycomelatelyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No, Hunny.  You been a-hooked, right, left 'n centre!

2. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

jesus? Jesus who?
      Don't know the guy.

1. qwark profile image61

How can anyone hate someone they don't know nuthin' about?
        Same thing with love. No one knows this jesus guy so how can ya love or hate him...whoever he is?

3. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone hates Jesus, just Jesus's followers who want to ram him down our throats, proclaim his way as the only way, and step up on a pedestal that glares down on the rest of us.

So, The Donkey, your question is actually two-fold. Everything about Jesus might be good, but how people respond to being preached to about his goodness is another matter.

It is very sad that some friends of mine have "gotten Christ" to a degree where they do nothing but preach about their beliefs. I love these friends, but I find it enormously difficult to have conversations with them about anything. They are preaching Christ all the time. It's like Christ took over their brains. 

Of course, he didn't, that's only what my friends think. Jesus would never dictate what to say or take possession of a human mind.  He had more regard for humanity than that.  His life and teachings show us how to become ourselves, for the good of all, if only we will wake up and smell the roses.

1. profile image52
        ARNKxxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure you're not the one on the pedestal?

2. Nicolas Richard profile image58
        Nicolas Richardposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well friend. God does say Jesus is the only way he is the truth. I don't think it's preaching down your throat I think it's more like the people with the spirit of Christ instilled in them understand what's coming and why. So I think people do that because they love and care so much for others they want them to accept the only thing that will save us when we die.

1. Aime F profile image70
          Aime Fposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, I was just in the Q&A and told someone I didn't want to be preached at, and not only did they not listen, but someone else piped in and called me the spawn of Satan for not wanting to hear it.  Doesn't seem like any of that came from a place of love. 

I can understand the theory and if I knew someone was preaching at me because they loved me and wanted me to have the "good things" that they feel religion offers then I could respect and appreciate that.  But honestly, most of the time it seems like a right vs wrong argument and people just wanna be right.

1. Nicolas Richard profile image58

With all due respect I'm not preaching:) I guess I just love Christ with all my heart so I apologize if I came off that way.

I wasn't talking about you preaching. 

I was referring to when you said this:

"I don't think it's preaching down your throat I think it's more like the people with the spirit of Christ instilled in them understand what's coming and why. So I think people do that because they love and care so much for others they want them to accept the only thing that will save us when we die."

You seem to think that people's intentions are pure and kind when they "preach", which is a nice thought and everything, and I'd be fine with it if people's intentions actually seemed good, but as per my example most of my experiences with people telling me about Christ/Christianity have been quite negative.

I am sorry they have been negative:( for real.

That's very nice of you to say.  smile  The negativity doesn't bother me on a personal level but it definitely doesn't help the image of Christianity/religion in general.  I know some lovely Christians in real life but unfortunately the ones who come out to play in this kind of environment don't seem to reflect that. 

You seem genuine though so I guess you've cancelled out the negative one for today! wink

2. profile image0

The person should've not called ya the "spawn of Satan", although it's all n all kinda true of all disbelievers in Christ.

4. qwark profile image61

Why do folks hate muhamad and islam?
      Same reason they hate jesus and christianity.
      Both are and have been historically responsible for human death and destruction...and for what? MYTH!
      That is worthy of HATE.

5. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't hate any mythical gods, they're mythical, what's to hate?

6. profile image52

People give many reasons why they hate it; the lack of technological advancement, faith-based wars and genocides; taking advantage of religious legalism; etc. But with the growing amount of people who hate it more than anything else, it's only obvious that Satan is at work. I don't use that term lightly, either. But Christianity could be said to be the most passionately hated thing in history.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Could be the reason why is because Christianity has caused more bloodshed and disaster than anything else in history.

1. profile image53
          AnonAnon777posted 9 years agoin reply to this

My information new to this discussion is that people who kill in the name of Christianity are not following their religion. Jesus taught to turn the other cheek and He healed someone who Peter injured when they ceased Him. This view is like old China which people get out when they would like to discredit Christianity. I know the rule says only add if necessary but I feel it is not fair to discredit a religion because some people who used the name have created wars because they personally wanted to.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The old, old "not a true Christian" complaint has been discredited long ago.  As in hundreds of years ago, for that matter.

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
            Zelkiiroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_scotsman

When a major religion decides that it's perfectly okay to massacre millions of people several times throughout history, people tend to be a bit distrustful towards it.

2. profile image51
          dexton7posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are incorrect Troubled Man. The total number of deaths estimated to lie at the feet of humanity's poor practice of Christianity is approximately 17 million, which is indeed horrible. However, the largest number of human deaths in history have been caused by disease, government, general human stupidity and cruelty. (no religion required).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_w … death_toll

3. profile image52

How is it the fault of Jesus that humans don't understand what words mean?

4. profile image52
          William Dragoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Islam 690million deaths since 622 ad

Christianity 0 deaths since 0 ad

Catholicism 45 million deaths since 328ad

7. Titen-Sxull profile image72
      Titen-Sxullposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't say I hate Christianity but I would say I find many things about it's doctrines and teachings to be morally questionable, logically inconsistent and factually incorrect. Many teachings of Christianity are downright immoral, as are many deeds of the Christian God.

As for the claim that everything about Jesus is good I think you should re-read the Gospels again. Jesus says and does some questionable, bizarre and arguably stupid things. Here's just a few:

In Matthew 10 Jesus claims that those who love their family members more than they love him are not worthy of him. He also admits that, rather than being the prince of peace, he has actually come to bring about division even admitting that families will turn on each other. Instead of peace and unity Jesus is explaining that his teachings will cause the opposite.

- Jesus claims that simple lust is like committing adultery, creating a form of thought-crime

- Jesus teaches that you shouldn't worry about tomorrow

- Jesus teaches that, rather than stand up for yourself,  you should give those that manipulate and steal from you EVEN more than they are intending to take. This teaching is in the SERMON ON THE MOUNT, one of Jesus' most famous speeches.

- Jesus kills a herd of pigs that he does not own by allowing demons he has just cast out to inhabit them and send them over a cliff.

- Jesus leads his disciples in a symbolically cannibalistic act where they pretend they are eating and drinking his flesh and blood.

And I could go on and on. In short Jesus' teachings have their high points but there are plenty of things that Jesus supposedly said or did that are not good.

If we expand that to the entire Bible things get much much much worse.

1. profile image53
        HammerOfGodposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. janesix profile image59
          janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jesus casting demon into pigs isn't ridiculous, but someone mistakenly saying they went over a cliff IS ridiculous?

Hmmm..

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Peace and love brother, peace and love. yikes

2. profile image52

Well, is your family going to bring you into the hereafter?

3. profile image53
        Troubledsoulposted 8 years agoin reply to this

But I hope I didn't offend you. I wasn't trying to come at you with this dogmatic approach and condemn you. I 'm not a hardcore christian, I can't even lie I haven't even been to church in the last few years but I have grown a personal relationship with Jesus and even I have questions. My point was to actually clear things up because I get your stance and how you feel about it. I just wanted to inform you of some of things you mentioned because you seem a bit confused on your interpretation of it and it's turned you off...again believe me I have been in your shoes so I get it.

Everything about Christ is perfect! The bible is truth and when people want to argue the bible it tells me they understand it, accept it, but allowed the devil to take control and move their focus away from the bible because it is perfect and everything Satan is... well it's a LIE. So it's a good thing to see passion it just tells of how the devil is working overtime right now. Why? Well because it's about to go down. The only reason we live is to love and go to heaven! God made it clear. Repent and accept Jesus to get your name written in the book of life. Just believe in him you know? Why is that so hard? His doctrine is perfect by all means and I personally can't wait for death to unite with Christ! Best day of my life that day

4. profile image0

LOL. Laughing at this because it's so not true.
        The Last Supper- have you heard of symbolism???

1. profile image0

Your entire religion is symbolism, surely!
          Each and every one of us is free to interpret those symbols as we see fit for and in our life.
          Yet that desire for the mystical fairy of a god in the sky hijacks your thinking and your emotions...then you want to convince everyone else your thinking is the right way.
          I could utter an expletive but will not.

1. profile image0

Nope. It is of teaching, salivation, truth, trust, and love. Consider it sometime.

2. profile image0

Nope. It is of teaching, love, trust, and salvation... consider it sometime.

1. profile image0

Have it your way - continue to salivate.smile

2. profile image0

Deleted

1. profile image0

I will contuine to witness, if that's what ya mean. You can not stop meh...
                BLESS you and may Jesus make His way back into your stubborn heart.

1. profile image0

It is not my place or wish to stop you witnessing to what you believe; only to open your eyes to what you are doing: that is, satisfying yourself, not me.
                  So, go your own way Galaxy.  Bye.

1. profile image0

Heck, it doesn't satisfy me because I'm doing it for me, but for the Lord.
                    That's all I gotta say.

5. profile image52
        William Dragoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

you don't know how to rightfully divide the scriptures, nor do you know what awaits those who deny the truth, if you did you would see Jesus as we do.

1. Live to Learn profile image59
          Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

For goodness sake. How many times have we heard that? Every new sect that pops up has the same spiel.

People don't hate Jesus. They simply hate having to listen to this type of thing again and again, as if it meant something of value.

1. Kiss andTales profile image59
            Kiss andTalesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If some one died for you instead of you and spared you .You would be so greatful because life is precious.
            We love to live as humans so many things to learn and do and see and discover.
            Thats not all possible with a short life.
            Jesus value was so high .He paid for generations of lives to enter in a new world under a Heavenly Goverment as its new citizens.
            The only hope we have as humans is valuble.
            Because not even man can stop death.
            But the Heavenly Father will continue to grant life forever.
            Psalms 37:29
            'And they will live forever on it'

1. profile image0

Amen Kiss andTales!!!

Thanks Galaxy !

2. Live to Learn profile image59

Sorry, JW stuff isn't really what it's all about.

Concerning you L to L thats your personal choice and opinion . But millions have learned and appreciated and accepted what Jesus has done for us all as humans Jw happily share that appreaction with the world.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
                  Castlepalomaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What ever you did, you did for yourself, praise your own imagination and getting off your butt..

For Jesus was just a man with better idea for his hardship time period. When people could barly live pass age 30. He was lucky to live pass age 33 with his magic adventures.

Not much great sacrifice there.

8. SwordofManticorE profile image69
      SwordofManticorEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Because Christianity has set a poor example as Christians for centuries.

9. amymarie_5 profile image66
      amymarie_5posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hate is a bit of a strong word. I think some people just have different beliefs. You can't hate something that you don't believe.

10. wba108@yahoo.com profile image77
      wba108@yahoo.composted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is because of the spiritual battle that takes place after the truth of God's word is spoken. For those who haven't yet come to Jesus, Satan will jealously guard his own territory, therefore the moment the word is spoken, the conflict begins. Much of the excuses you hear are actually people repeating the words and thoughts whispered to them by the enemy of our souls.

1. profile image0
        JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Amen!!

2. jackteegs profile image58
        jackteegsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Beautifully stated.

3. profile image52

And these people hiding behind cross necklaces and praising this and that.  A sham.

4. Nicolas Richard profile image58

Couldn't have said it better!

5. profile image0

Beautifully said, WBA!

As a Christian, I've got to say this line of thought offends me. Sometimes, a little self reflection can help one have a better understanding of what people 'hate'. Rarely is it Jesus and Christianity. It usually involves a reaction to a lot of judgmental comments and behavior displayed which is completely alien to the example of Jesus.

11. SwordofManticorE profile image69
      SwordofManticorEposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The unbelievers will continue to not believe until the day comes when they will ask for His mercy, and they will get it.

12. paradigm search profile image54
      paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's not hatred. It's just frustration when seeing illogical thought.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I get edgy at the thought of no invisible Spirit animating all!  Such a belief doesn't seem logical.

1. paradigm search profile image54

There are no doubt higher intellects in the universe, call them spirits if you will. I just doubt that any of them are interested in being our father figures.

we were created by Mighty Triple O. Mighty Triple O is both Mother and Father in the sense that Spirit created us in his/her imagination.
            I imagine.

Ya made me look up "Mighty Triple O". Let's keep it serious.

Yep, we could indeed have been created. Are you supporting my lab rat theory?

Omnipresent, Omniscient, Omnipotent invisible spiritual force = Mighty Tripple O.

seems to be a force of Goodness.
                Good - o = ______

Why goodness? Why not just nothing?

Because beyond the physical is the metaphysical. The illusions of the material world seem so real.  but …

and everyone one must prove it for themselves.  There is no proof I can give you.
                    except that I exist.

2. profile image52
            ARNKxxposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Nope, just your pal.

13. Kiss andTales profile image59
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Really people hate what they do not understand,  it is complicated,  when complicated it reflects an attitude , many times
      Because you do not understand it is a judgment that something is wrong with it not them.
      The same with Rubic cubes , many could not do the puzzle,  and yet those that could works the puzzle in swiftness , and accurately.
      Many  just never persue the knowledge of how
      After being unsuccessful , instead frustrated.
      Also many may hate the subject based on one's lifestyle if they find their addictions or their
      Unbreakable habits condemned in the  scriptures.
      The problem is the bible is for man , not  God
      He lives on through out eternity , we just was given the privilege to live during a test period of time.
      We need the instructions of how to keep living as God Almighty does, many closing their own possibility.
      But this is not nothing new the bible clearly says people will hate him and the truth
      New World Translation
      Joh 7:7 The world has no reason to hate you, but it hates me, because I bear witness about it that its works are wicked..
      So clearly it is understood why they hate.

14. BuddiNsense profile image59
      BuddiNsenseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Because people are not donkeys, in short.
      In length because bible itself says that Lucifer (the morning star) and Jesus are the same.

1. profile image52

You must be "reading" the wrong Bible.

15. profile image52

He is subversive, anti-establishment and isn't too keen on soulless money grubbing bastards. Money, the thing that people put before people. A rumor isn't a rumor that doesn't die.

16. profile image52

Simple. They resent what they can't feel, that I can understand.

17. profile image52

I think most people invest to much in the texts, if you're receptive to it, you can see and hear Him all around you. There's no need to wait. That could be a very scary thought to some.

I think the real story is just largely untold. And it's untold because the real story wouldn't be good for business, donations would end and lots of liars out of jobs.

Imagine a world where you have direct access to Him. And you do if you're a child of peace. Can you not see how devastating this way of thinking is to the establishment?

2. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

This has been asked millions of times!
    Who cares !!

1. The Donkey profile image61
      The Donkeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

........I care. Haha.

2. Stimp profile image59
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Who gives two shts?????

1. profile image52

"Who cares about the environment?"

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Who gives two shts?????

3. profile image52

Perhaps if something is asked millions, billions or trillions of times it warrants a discussion.

It's interesting how people that've been on Earth for such a small amount of time discount a conversation that's been in the works for thousands of years so easily. Is it arrogance or ignorance or both?

3. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I do nat hate any of the above. To hate something you must first believe that it exists. as far as being uncomfortable when the subject come up it is only because I know that any argument is likely to ensue over my beliefs.

4. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

because people hate perfection and Jesus is perfect

1. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't hate perfection. I'm perfect !

1. Rafini profile image81
        Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

i believe you

2. cheaptrick profile image75
        cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey T,That little Red Square thingy is gonna give me Nightmares!

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  That's true of those who hate Him.

1. Hokey profile image61
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't hate him. I just don't believe in fairy tales.

3. jackteegs profile image58

I don't think that's the message, I don't believe that the take away is that he is perfect, I think imperfect yet it's okay, it's human to have and show weaknesses.  And accepting yourself is perfection, that's my view on it.

4. profile image52

Do you think really? I think it's ego for most people, they want to believe they're bigger than God or at least in control...the idea that they have to take second best doesn't go down to well with people who think they're big shots.

5. K_ble profile image61
    K_bleposted 14 years ago

Because it/he's shoved down our throat when we tell you that we dont believe in him?  So we'd rather not talk about him in fear that you'll go off on a rant about him/it.

1. profile image52

"IT'S RAMMED DOWN OUR THROATS!"
      "IT'S SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS."
      "IT'S PUSHED INTO OUR THROATS."
      "IT'S FORCED DOWN OUR THROATS."

Than why are you on a site like this? Obviously, subcontiously your crying out for Christ. Just accept him and let him do the work. I was more lost than you can imagine and he never ever ever left my side. He didn't push anything but he was waiting for me to turn to him and when I did...ohh man I didn't like where my life was at but its cool now because he works miracles daily for me for you for everyone and maybe it's not for us to understand but believe me he's more real than anything! Faith brother faith

2. unitify profile image69
      unitifyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not everyone that believes Jesus will ram it down your throat.  I believe Jesus.  And like you, I have a right to express my beliefs.  For example, I believe that Jesus is Lord and I believe that the only reason  I believe this is because Jesus made it possible for me to believe.

I have been around a few people who jump at the chance to try to convince me that Jesus is a lier or a lie.  So I know the feeling of having someone try to shove their beliefs down my throat.  Not only do they press on on debating the issue, they will ever try to convince me that my believing Jesus is oppressing me.  Some really believe they mean well, others are just playing the, "I know I'm Right Game".  Either way, I don't waste my time.  My point is that you shouldn't put everyone who believes Jesus (or in any particular thing for that matter) in your little box.  This only serves to divide. And by the way, I believe in Satan too. This guy is a master of division.

1. profile image51
        David Trawickposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jesus says He came to bring peace...but He also says He came to bring a sword....to divide!!!  Those that believe and trust in His redemptive work and those that don't.  I agree with you though.....I don't waste my time.  I am grateful that I know Him as my savior as I couldn't imagine life without Him!!!  I deal with alot of people concerning spiritual issues.  People don't come to Jesus because of PRIDE!!  Scripture clearly talks about it......People avoid the light because they love what they do in darkness.  I was an atheist and then an agnostic.  It allowed me to live my life the way I WANTED....It's my life anyway.....not answering to anyone!!  I wasn't looking for Jesus when I came to Him....life got the best of me and He restored my soul!!!  And to the person that says it is impossible to fall in love with someone I haven't seen or know....Well let me tell you that is true.  But I know Him and have seen Him....I would pray for the same for you!!!  I put my experience out there and people can do as they wish....Jesus said my sheep know my voice and they follow me....some people just aren't His sheep.  I see many on this thing making comments that they clearly know NOTHING about and have likely never read the scriptures....even if they have, it is spiritually discerned.  It is IMPOSSIBLE for the worldly mind spiritual.  That is why Jesus spoke in parables!!!  It is my job to throw seed....God prepares the soil.  Seed won't root in hard ground!!!

That is why Jesus is rejected, he brings a sword to divide us. Those acts are nothing short of how atrocious the behavior of the Abrahamic God, to whom is owed the blight of mankind's division.

Not true, an atheist knows only to well he answers to the most important person of all when it comes to how he lives his life; himself.

1. profile image51
            dexton7posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. The 'sword that divides us' has been around since the very beginning, when hate found a home in the human heart.  There is plenty of secular history that demonstrates this tragic quality of human nature. Jesus came to bring peace, but that peace is between the man and God. Those who reject God and the only way of salvation through Jesus (John 14:6) will find themselves perpetually at war with God the Father.. and this makes some people very angry, and so they rail against this message of hope. I think this happens primarily because of encounters with so-called Christians that have the same prideful hypocritical attitude of the Pharisees, of which Jesus himself denounced. We all have free will to choose of course. There are and have been numerous people that would love to "feed the Christians to the lions" and enjoy every moment of it as they are ripped apart feeling a sense of lurid satisfaction. And there are some pathetic excuses for Christians that have enjoyed the slaughter of nonbelievers (and true believers) with lurid satisfaction as well. Both of these groups are on par with the behavior of demons in my opinion.. literal or archetypal. Take your pick. I for one am diametrically opposed to the spirit and psychology of human cruelty and stupidity.

1. Harold Street profile image62
              Harold Streetposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Excellent post! The only point of disagreement is your comment on the free will of man. See:

John 6:44 - No one can come to Jesus Christ unless he is drawn to Him by God.

Rom. 9:6-21 - it depends, not on man's will, but on God (v.16).

Eph. 1:4 - God chose us, not v.v.
              How can man choose when (Eph.2:1) he is spiritually dead and incapable of coming to Christ of his own will?
              Eph.2:8-10 - any effort of man (including making a choice) is a work of God, not man.

Much more, but this should be enough to make the point that salvation is totally and completely the work of God: "You must be born again" in order to see (comprehend) and enter the kingdom of God - John 3:3-8.

1. colorfulone profile image78
                colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is impossible to understand the spiritual things of God with a physical mind.

Great explanation, Herald.

1. JMcFarland profile image70
                  JMcFarlandposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If it's impossible to understand god and what he wants with our physical minds, why would he only create us with physical minds,  incapable of understanding him?

Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would think the answer to that might be that it is easier to forgive someone for getting you wrong if you were sure they lacked the ability to get you right in the first place.

2. Harold Street profile image62

JMcFarland:
                    You left something out of your statement regarding man's inability to understand God. Colorfulone rightly stated it when he said that it's impossible to understand the SPIRITUAL things of God with a physical mind. All men possess a physical mind, but it is devoid of the ability to comprehend the spiritual things of God (1 Cor.1:18-2:16). The mind and heart of man has been darkened through disobedience to God. The ability to understand the spiritual things of God requires an understanding given by He, Himself (Col. 1:9).

God didn't create man with the inability to spiritually understand Him. Man lost it through Adam's disobedience to God's command.

3. Oztinato profile image75
                    Oztinatoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Firstly it's quite possible to use one's mind to understand God.
                    Secondly we need to use a mind purified of negativity and hate. Hatred for other religions for example.
                    Thirdly we need to examine our minds and eliminate such hatreds and negativity. This will create a refreshed spiritual mind that will assist in finding our higher self or "God "

2. profile image52

Who decided He is rejected?

2. Pav67 profile image58
          Pav67posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jesus never said He came to bring peace. He actually said "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34

1. profile image52

Too much reliance on texts, just look around. Seeing is believing, citing texts has little impact.

3. profile image0
          Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That was actually quite lovely. What a good testimony.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
            Mark Knowlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed! Christianity will always cause division and hate. Well said.

1. bBerean profile image60
              bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beth, have you met Mark?  wink

1. profile image0

No, he seems congenial. smile

1. bBerean profile image60
                  bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

After interacting with the many characters that cross this stage, sometimes you notice some appear to be cut from the exact same cloth.  I am sure that has been thought of many, myself included.  If that were true of one of your biggest admirers, and if in fact that admirer turned out to be a puppet made of the cloth in question, I know who the hand inside would be.

1. profile image0

That's deep. Ultimately, I spose that's true.

2. profile image52

The message is we're all one, it's ahead of its time and will be for the foreseeable future. It'll divide people by definition because they're not ready to realize or admit that their energy affects people and places you'd never imagine.

Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

One world Religion

Not going to ever happen, because everyone will be murdered everyone else before that one Religion happens. Except me I am the chosen one to be very well hidden.

2. Kiss andTales profile image59
                Kiss andTalesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This scripture refers to religion that is condemn by the true God .
                Rev 17:16 And the ten horns that you saw and the wild beast, these will hate the prostitute (religion)and will make her devastated and naked, and they will eat up her flesh and completely burn her with fire.
                So rather people believe in God and Jesus or not ,it still fulfill this bible prophecy  that you hate religion. As written.
                But it is something bigger that we should see.
                How did he know this !
                As far as hate he writes that as well ,its nothing new.
                Pr 8:36 But the one who ignores me harms himself, And those who hate me love death.”

They love death because .because he is the God that gives life to all souls.

Lu 20:38 He is a God, not of the dead, but of the living, for they are all living to him.”

So if you hate what keeps you living ,then how can you keep living without his power to sustain your life.
                If you die the one who gave life and made you exist ,can return the same favor . Why seal it with hate and die forever.

1. profile image0
                  jonnycomelatelyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You pick and choose the words and sentences that fit the story you want to tell.  "Cherry Picking."

That is what's so false about you religion.

Kiss andTalesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jonny! I guess I cherry pick your reaction and response  to my comment. It's nice hearing from you
                    hope things and life are going well for you ,
                    Wishing you love and peace !

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

That's like saying I have the right to express a belief that an invisible purple dragon living in my garage made it possible for me to believe he lives there, even though he's invisible and no one can see him. big_smile

1. Master Lillyclaw profile image58
          Master Lillyclawposted 9 years agoin reply to this

(Sorry, I know you replied a while ago but I really just wanted to say this.)
          You make it sound like you DON'T have a right to believe that. Now, I know (okay, I assume it's sarcasm but I'm basically 100% positive) that you don't mean that you literally believe that there is an invisible purple dragon in your garage. However, to put it to the extent of believing in God, like I do, or being agnostic, like many of my friends and my boyfriend are, or being atheist, like other of my friends are, is the same. I have a right to BELIEVE in God. They have a RIGHT to be agnostic/atheist, or Muslims or Buddhists or whatever else a person is.
          Now, just because we each have that right, that doesn't mean you should go around screaming at everyone to believe you and killing those who don't agree. Just as you have the right to believe, others have the right to disbelieve. Which means that it's not okay to kill other people for not believing. Now, other people have said that religion has done bad things for humanity and the world. I know someone who constantly points out that there have been priests who are pedophiles. On that note, priests aren't the only pedophiles in the world. Non-Christians have done bad things too. Hypocrites exist everywhere. I don't believe in hypocrites and people who do bad things when they say they won't, just as all Muslims want to be associated with terrorists.
          So, just to let you know, if anyone is forcing their beliefs upon you, that's pure BS, because that's basically like YouTube commenter trying to impose ideas on other YouTubers (aka it doesn't work).

2. profile image52

You do. You have that right, but it's ridiculous. Again, you've been on the planet for X amount of years and flippantly dismiss what's been on people's tongues for thousands of years. Is that not ridiculous too? You've got it figured.

Do you believe in all religions/Gods then?  To just follow Christianity would be flippantly dismissing all the others would it not?

3. jackteegs profile image58

They're just words after all, yet those annoyed by words and ideas retaliate with modern day crucifixion, make sense?

4. profile image52

And you ram it down peoples throats that they ram it down your throat.

6. Andrew0208 profile image58
    Andrew0208posted 14 years ago

People don't hate Jesus but hate religion, of course religion is man made and selfish causing more harm to humanity. Why do I say so? Some religious cabals will always play their wicked and selfish politics using religion, when their hearts are far from God or whatever divinity they claimed. Jesus Christ kicked against religion in His earthly days.

1. jackteegs profile image58

Most people are about religion actually, not God. It's the other way around.

7. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 14 years ago

It is not Jesus Christ per se, but the Roman Catholic's way of "sales promotion" of Jesus Christ, that perhaps make many people become wary of Jesus. A case of essentially good product being sold cheaply in a poor package!

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

..and RCs and JWs and Born Agains and Evangelicals and LDSs and anyone who is so up themselves to think they are better or more saved than " me. "

8. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

"I think Jesus was a compassionate, super-intelligent gay man who understood human problems." -- British singer Elton John.

1. profile image52

Sir Elton will be humbled one day, as will most. His talent is only borrowed. I'll leave it at that, as I don't want to jam anything that don't need sellin' down anybody's throat.

9. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I think it is the people who "preach" Jesus who give the guy his bad name.

1. Mamelody profile image61
      Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would say those who preach Jesus but don't actually do what he says that give him a bad name.

I think it's cause Jesus speaks the truth and people generally hate being told the truth... even if it hurts.

1. jackteegs profile image58

I think this is true, Jesus represents the truth & honesty in human communication, which is viewed as  unrealistic and quite a scary idea for most people in this world.

10. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

They can't read?big_smile

roll

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

C'mon Cags smile!big_smile

You're insinuation that certain people cannot read, is correct to some extent, but your intentions with the conversation on hand, you've personally attacked every person who doesn't believe like you.

Nice job. Hope you're happy with yourself selfish, righteous self.

And, you want me to smile? Man, you've lost your mind. wink

11. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Friendship is the only cure for hatred, the only guarantee of peace.

Buddha

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can Buddha read?smile

1. Hokey profile image61
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed.

Buddha

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

A Texan

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
            Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are indeed the voice of experience!  Hey Tex!

1. profile image0

If I wanted any shit outa you I would have squeezed your head!

Howyadoin Randy?

Pretty good, Tex.  Having a beer at the moment.  I passed on the lobotomy.  Did it hurt bad?

1. profile image0

Not after a couple of seconds..

Whiskey, I suppose?  Unless....no!  Don't tell me you are a wine guy!

12. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

Had the teachings of Jesus been passed on as purely as they came from his lips, the whole world would be christian by now.

Loose quote.

People love Jesus for what he was. We just hate the way he and his teachings have been distorted.

1. Mamelody profile image61
      Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you there hun.. his teachings have definitely been distorted and people are making up words that he never actually said or interpreting it the wrong way..

2. jackteegs profile image58

People would hate his real word even more.

13. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

misrepresentation . religions are making a fool of god ideas with their  self righteous assumptions.

14. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 10 years ago

If one were to look into Judeo-Christian teaching (The Bible) there are some serious issues that hits one in the face. Jesus, God are expecting mankind to be accountable and mankind has rejected God's expectation of us since the very beginning otherwise Adam and Eve would have left the tree of knowledge alone.

Mankind has always railed against authority I daresay that's why the wars on this planet are endless. Consider this if it is found that God does exist there will be an awful price to pay for all of us who have rejected him.

And, if God doesn't exist, it's all just a cheesy fairy tale or the biggest hoax to be pulled on the gullible of all time. big_smile

1. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For someone that doesn't believe God exists-you sure do have a lot of hate for a nonexisting God.

lol  <--- Me with lots of hate.

lol lol  <---Me with even more hate.

lol lol lol  <--- The hatiest.

15. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 10 years ago

Who in the hell starts a SP account to raise a three year old thread from the dead just to troll it?

Jesus, take up macrame or painting or buy a damn fish or something.

Any takers on how long it last before the banning this time? I got five on four days.

1. profile image52

That's the sound of da police.

16. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

"He is a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense, and they stumble on it, in that they do not obey the word, for they are appointed to this."

I Peter 2:8
    Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)

17. lavenderholly profile image61
    lavenderhollyposted 10 years ago

People who seem to hate Jesus resent the religion more than the focus itself. Most Atheists agree with the morality behind his teachings (except, you know, the whole God part), but his followers have committed too many wrongs just for the sake of their faith for Atheists to morally justify. As a result, they seem to resent the root cause of this, which is Christianity itself.
    Personally, I don't blame the entire following of this faith for the shortcomings of others, but I am able to recognize that it has intrinsic and inexcusable flaws. I think that we should all respect each other's views though. I hope this answered your question!

1. profile image0

Agreed. smile

2. profile image52

People looking for God but found religion instead.

18. SwordofManticorE profile image69
    SwordofManticorEposted 10 years ago

Ghandi said it best with “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.”

1. profile image0
      Mklow1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is commonly quoted by many, but unfortunately, this is a false Ghandi quote. It reminds me of the Bill Cosby e-mail that went around. It gains ground and belief by playing towards a specific audience that really wants to believe this whether it is true or not.

"As quoted by William Rees-Mogg in The Times [London] (4 April 2005) {not found}. Gandhi here makes reference to a statement of Jesus: “No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon." (Luke 16:13); also partly quoted in Christianity in the Crosshairs : Real Life Solutions Discovered in the Line of Fire (2004) by Bill Wilson.

I have found no authoritative source for Gandhi saying this. The actual quote is attributed to Bara Dada, "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him." Source - Jones, E. Stanley. The Christ of the Indian Road, New York: The Abingdon Press,1925. (Page 114)"

1. SwordofManticorE profile image69
        SwordofManticorEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info.

19. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I think the simpler explanation is that people get edgy when they think they are about to be preached at.  That is what they hate.

1. profile image0
      Mklow1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is true for everyone, even when it is the non-believers that preach.

20. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 9 years ago

Can anyone in this thread tell me when and where they have been preached at besides the internet? I do not believe someone is just going to walk up to you (besides Jehovah's witnesses) and ask you about your beliefs or the lack thereof.

1. j-buchanan profile image61
      j-buchananposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yesterday, I had my weekly visit by the Mormon missionaries who have been sent from Utah to Georgia to spread the word of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon.  They seem like really nice guys, so I let them come in and we talk for a while, then they give me a homework assignment, and set up a new time for us to meet again.  I supposed they believe God has sent them over across the states to save me.....so yesterday is the answer.

Just to be clear,  I find it fascinating because I love studying religions....and to hear their beliefs are quite hilarious like all other religions, but I do enjoy it.

1. profile image0

I was talking about outside of your home. Not door to door Mormons or Jehovah's witnesses. Has anyone ever just came up to you and asked you what your beliefs are?

No, not really but no one has really ever asked me about how the weather is today either.  My point is people go out of their way to specifically talk about it by coming to your goddamn house!!!!

Now, that I have thought about it, yes.  I got asked what religion I practiced every year when I taught school.

2. profile image0

Whoa there partner. No need for the language. So what you are saying is you let them in just to mock them and their beliefs. Why not just politely send them on their way.

No, that is not what I'm saying at all.  I'm not mocking them.  I genuinely find their beliefs fascinating.  I guess I didn't know it was going to be a weekly occurrence when I was so warm and welcoming, now I am going to feel like I have let them or God down for not converting to Mormonism when it's all said and done, so I am contemplating just going along with it.  Heck, I did that the same thing with Christianity.  And, I apologize if my language seemed a bit harsh, sometimes I find it difficult to translate how I would really say the words into text form, and for that I apologize.  That's something I need to learn how to do a bit better.

1. tsadjatko profile image64
                  tsadjatkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You know I used to discuss their beliefs with them when Jehovah Witnesses came to my door but as soon as I told them I was a born again Christian they ran as if they'd seen the devil. Only had one Mormon  incident when two teenage Mormons came a knockin. A couple simple questions revealed they knew nothing about the Bible but wanted to push the book of Mormon on me. When I asked them who sent them out to proselytize people they seemed pretty enamored with their "leader" back at the cult, gave me his name too. So I said, "You go on back to your whatever you call him and tell him I said if he wants to discuss religion with me to send a man and not send children." Funny, never heard from them again. I suppose my soul wasn't important enough.

Now instead of wasting any time and before they go into their spiel I simply say to them, "You ever look up "Jehovah Witness Cult" (or "Mormon cult") on the internet?" They always say no, once one admitted she doesn't have internet. I was going to say go to the library but a little voice said "oh what's the use."

So I say, "I'll be glad to discuss religion with you, go to the internet and Google "Jehovah Witness Cult", study what you find and if you can come back here and explain to me how the JWs is not a cult, I'm all ears, have at it, I'll buy you lunch.

Done this four times so far over recent years, never had anyone come back. If they didn't have enough initiative to do what I said there is no way I, a stranger will be likely to get to them and if they did what I said there is no way they will accept my challenge to come back because they'll know they are in a cult.. Saves me a lot of wasted time.

Funny story actually, because I really had no idea what the hell these Mormons believe.  I started asking them questions and you were right they didn't know.  I was like so what do you guys do here.  I live in a college town, so I figured they went to UGA and did this part time.  Nope, this is all they do.  They are on a mission trip.  I said so what would you say the difference between Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons are?  Now, this is when it got interesting because you could see their expressions.."Oh, we aren't like those crazy people"..we believe everybody can get into heaven if they just believe this.  Im like ...Oh so its not a set number but its not everybody, so then it is a number?  They said, well I guess if you put it that way, yeah it is....you are totally right.   They know nothing about this religion...it's a cult...and I know about cults I lived in one for a year...its called AA, but that's a different subject.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Billboards everywhere.  Government meetings, dinners, etc. that start with a prayer.  A rodeo I attended that required the entire audience - Christian, Muslim, Atheist, Pagan, whatever - to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance whereupon they were regaled with a 15 minute sermon on the necessity of teaching children Christianity, disguised as prayer.  The sidewalks of Las Vegas where a madwoman with a PA system preached to everyone within a city block.  The subway.  Radio.  TV.  Even the locker room of the local YMCA.

A much shorter list would be "Where have I NOT been preached at?".  And the answer would be my bedroom and my bathroom. 

Strangely enough, with the single exception of Hare Krishna's (sp?) at an airport many years ago, it has all been done by followers of Christ, taking it upon themselves to ignore the words of Christ and interfere with how others live their life.

That's what I was trying to say!

Quoting Wilderness regarding being preached to: "...it has all been done by followers of Christ, taking it upon themselves to ignore the words of Christ..."
        Sounds like comments on what Gandhi did, or did not say. Christians don't take it upon themselves (implying doing something that Jesus Christ did not command). Christ clearly did command His followers to preach to others: Matthew 28:19; Mark 16:15.
        No facts? No sense. No sense? Nonsense.

It is so futile to keyboard words when people apparently don't know how to read. I am done keyboarding about God.
          There is the aspect of not wasting shiny white pearls on pink pigs who only trample them with their cloven feet.
          Why bother?

Don't let futility sink in. If you know Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, then remember that He never called us to convince anyone of the truth of the Gospel. We are not prosecuting attorneys, only witnesses, telling what we know (Acts 1:8),  leaving the results up to God (John 3:3-8). Instead of vanity, be happy that you did what God has commanded you to do.

wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Aren't you kind of forgetting Matt. 7:12?  Or intentionally ignoring the words of the Lord?

Acts 1:8
                "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
                vs.
                Matt 7:12
                Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
                vs.
                Matt 7:6
                "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."

Kind of at odds with each other, aren't they?  Unless being witness means only to those that wish to hear the message instead of anyone within earshot.

or eyeshot.

Kathryn, I'm not sure what you mean, but let me share the following based upon what I think you're making reference to - not sharing the Gospel:
                  I have already shared the meaning of Matt.7:12 (see my post to wilderness, above). The Matt.7:6 reference has to do with continued sharing of the Gospel when a person has become obstinate after the gospel was preached to him or her, has blasphemed it, and persecuted those who preach it; don't spend a lot of time with that person because it is lost labor, "giving what is holy (the Gospel message) to dogs," throwing "...your pearls before swine." Turn and share it with other needy folks.

No, Matthew does not say anything like that.  It says (in this specific case) to keep your mouth shut until asked.  Unless you wish others to constantly preach, uninvited, to you?

"No" to your question. In Matt.7:12, Jesus exhorts me to treat others in the same way that I would have them treat me. So I share the Gospel with unbelievers because, if I were one, I would want them to share it with me. To share with someone how eternal condemnation can be avoided, and how he or she can live in eternal bliss with God is an expression of love. I don't share with someone because I hate them; it's because I am genuinely concerned for their soul. However, if a person requests that I not share it with them, I will honor the request. Is that your desire?

But you are not one; you are a christian.  Matt 7:12 says not to "share" your religion with others unless you wish them to share theirs with you.  Do you wish to be constantly harangued with the follies of your belief, with a stream of "information" about how great Islam is, or Buddhism as opposed to the lie of Christianity?  Do you wish to be told 1,000 times over that you will be reincarnated as an insect?  Would you like to see 20 billboards espousing the sayings of wicca every day on your drive to work?  Do you wish to be forced to sit through chanting Muslim prayers any time there is a public event?

No?  Then follow Matt. 7:12 and do not seek to covert others to your belief.  You do not wish it done to you: do not do it to others.  Keep your words, your written "messages" and your prayers to yourself until asked for them.

Wilderness:
                    Okay, your desire is that I not share with you. I will honor your request. As far as everyone else in the world, I will do as commanded by Jesus Christ.

I know that I must earn the right to be heard; then I will share. If someone responds to my posts on this website, or any other opportunity I have to share, they are implying that I have the right to be heard and share with them. However, if they request that I not share with them, I'll honor the request.

In closing, do you think that you should to continue to share your beliefs with me if you are demanding that I reciprocate (of course, only a fool would think that this world is fair)?

21. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

Dear Harold:
    While I believe your intentions are good… sometimes good intentions can pave the way to hell.

I believe one should not presume he/she understands Jesus completely. If you do not understand Jesus completely you are sharing half truths... in which case
    why bother.
    I'll tell you why:
    * out the desire to be right.
    * to be in an authoritative position.
    * to change those who you can never change. (And I should know!)

In My Opinion

Ps I just read in the bible that one should only say YAY YAY and NAY NAY!!! yikes !

"But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil." Matthew 5:37

Kathryn:
      No human being is capable of understanding Jesus Christ - infinite God. Jesus has exhorted His followers, however, to share what we do know about who He is and why He became man. Therefore, I share.
      My message is according to the Word of God and not half-truths.
      1. I absolutely wish to be right (communicating truth) in my sharing the message of eternal life (or death); and that message of truth is that Jesus is the only way, truth, and life. No one comes to God except through the work of Christ (John 14:6).
      2. There is no authority except that given by God. Your statement on this implies autonomous, sovereign power. Only God has this.
      3. I know that no one has the power to change (convert) another from unsaved to regenerated, except God (John 3:3-8).
      Your commentary on Matthew 5:37 seems not to have taken into consideration its contextual setting: Matthew 5:33-37. Examining scripture contextually keeps one away from eisegesis.

"Eisegesis (/ˌaɪsəˈdʒiːsəs/; from the Greek preposition εἰς "into" and the ending from the English word exegesis, which in turn is derived from ἐξηγεῖσθαι "to lead out") is the process of interpreting a text or portion of text in such a way that the process introduces one's own presuppositions, agendas, or biases into and onto the text. This is commonly referred to as reading into the text. The act is often used to "prove" a pre-held point of concern to the reader and to provide him or her with confirmation bias in accordance with his or her pre-held agenda. Eisegesis is best understood when contrasted with exegesis. While exegesis is the process of drawing out the meaning from a text in accordance with the context and discoverable meaning of its author, eisegesis occurs when a reader imposes his or her interpretation into and onto the text. As a result, exegesis tends to be objective when employed effectively while eisegesis is regarded as highly subjective." Dictionary

Well, what does that phrase mean in your view?

Your research was very good. Your interpretation of Matthew 5:37 seems to have been derived at through eisegesis. It has nothing to do with sharing, or not sharing, the gospel. It has everything to do with being careful if one is contemplating making a vow. We have not been talking about vow-making; we've been discussing sharing the gospel, and how far the Christian should go when so doing. For example, we're called to share the gospel "to all creation," making disciples of converts, and when to discontinue sharing with obdurate, hardhearted folks. It has nothing to do with vows. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way you wrote that post seemed to either lack continuity, or was misleading.

22. profile image0
    Zoenchiiposted 8 years ago

You simply don't ask these kind of questions.

23. Oztinato profile image75
    Oztinatoposted 8 years ago

Because they are totally intolerant of all religions, particularly of religions which are peaceful easy targets.

24. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

Your response is important to me.

25. Rabadi profile image78
    Rabadiposted 8 years ago

I just think people fear what they don't know. Jesus is great when you hear the stories about him.

1. profile image52

Exactly, it's hard to wrap your head around something you can't reach out and touch with your hands.

26. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 8 years ago

The bible gives the answer, Joh 8:42 Jesus said to them: “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I have not come of my own initiative, but that One sent me.

On the other hand Joh 8:44 You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father. That one was a murderer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of the lie.

Jesus is one choice satan is the other.
    No in between.
    What our choices in life are prove who is our Father, Notice lying is a work of satan if we lie he is our father, if we murder he is our father, if we steal he is our Father like Adam and Eve they took God's forbidden fruit. They listen to satan.
    The point is either our hearts will condemn us
    Or either it will keep us in God’s favor we make the choice.

1. profile image52

It's a fine line. Sometimes it takes a thief...but never a murderer or the jaws of a snake.

27. Trichakra profile image60
    Trichakraposted 7 years ago

No, I don't hate god.

28. Castlepaloma profile image76
    Castlepalomaposted 7 years ago

A pastor gose to the white north and teaches Eskimo  man  all about the Bible and Jesus. Where the Eskimo knew nothing about Jesus before.

The Pastor ask the Eskimo do you except Jesus Christ as your Savior and lord.

Eskimo - said no

Pastor - Because you know Jesus so well now. You will go to hell for refusing Jesus.

Eskimo- So why did tell me so much about Jesus in the first place?

29. Castlepaloma profile image76
    Castlepalomaposted 6 years ago

Go back in time, a 1000 times longer than Jesus period.

We had man and his imagination, where everything man evolved with  and achieved was all once imagined.

Including the bible and Hollywood and it's top 10 all time fantasty selling movie series of all time.

30. Castlepaloma profile image76

Noah is the only Bible story movie that made the top 100 movies of all time. Christian members on earth are lowering greatly too.

I perfer how they run happier non Religious countries.

Castlepalomaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Making love- my God and nature my Religion. No hate for Jesus or anyone, he was a small part of our history.

1. profile image0

Oh, Happy Man.  Isn't that a blessing when you see the light of what your life must be?  When you have discarded the mental gymnastics of fanatical religion and found a clear path for your life?
        Many will try to dislodge you from that path, CP.  Stand firm and true.

1. Oztinato profile image75
          Oztinatoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes stay on the true path, don't get dislodged.....er, you are sounding very religious JCL.
          Preaching the "clear path".
          Buddhist perhaps?
          We could call it the clear light of impersonal Buddhist atheism perhaps? (Note: Of course Buddhism is a religion with God's, prayers, temples  etc)

1. profile image0

True, Buddhism is practised as a religion in some countries, like Sri Lanka, Nepal.  Yet the "Path of the Buddha" is a personal one, not dependent on ceremony, rite, etc.  In the same way that a personal journey of any search for true and deep meaning is independent of outward show-bizz manifestations.
            I am not these days "religious," but it would not be against my principles to walk into any place of worship if I felt it could widen my knowledge and understanding. 
            That "clear path" truly is a personal and private one, for each of us.
            And, as I hope you will be aware by now, I am not against anyone being religious if that's their choice, provided they respect my choices (and yours, Oz) likewise.

31. Castlepaloma profile image76

Is there a true path to universal truth and knowledge?

Each path would be too limited if you stayed narrow to one path.

Cherry picking from each groups ideas then form your own dreams to create your own universe.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)