jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Is it better to receive difficult news sugar coated or just straight to the poin

1. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Is it better to receive difficult news sugar coated or just straight to the point?

I think it's human nature to want to soften a blow, but at the same time, listening to someone tap dance around a subject can be very stressful to the person receiving the bad news.  If you were receiving a bit of bad news - say that your job was going away, how would you want to be told? Is it better to go into long explanations and sugar coating - or just get to the point and let's manage it?

2. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

This is very simple for me to answer...immediately.  PLEASE, just TELL me, clearly, straight-forward and to the point!  Whatever it is...just say it...NOW!  No ifs, ands or buts...no fluff, no beating around the bush!!  Thank you very much.  I'll take it from there!

3. Alphadogg16 profile image91
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

I personally am a very straight forward, blunt type of person and I appreciate when people are the same with me. If you sprinkle sugar on a pile of crap, it still stinks. Just give it to me straight.

4. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

For me I like to cut to the chase. Then I demand a few moments for it to soak in. Then I start with my IRAC - Issue, Rule, Application and Conclusion. Normally I immediately schedule time in my mind for grief. And then how to inform others effected and likely affected.
    Sugar coating is probably more akin to "spin" and I do not like that.
    I am competent to put my own spin on it; thank you very much.

But with all that said, my family gets my "good news" before the bad from me. Difficult News is usually just change and change should always be positive.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's right, let's get the vinegar!

5. profile image0
    cjaroszposted 4 years ago

Straight forward and to the point. It is still the same news whether or not its sugar coated or not. If you know that it isn't going to be something that you are happy about, then it doesn't matter. It is still news that you are not going to like. There is no amount of sugar that will actually cover the news itself

6. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Straight no chaser!  It is always best to be truthful and to the point when addressing and discussing a difficult issue.  People respect those who are truthful because they know that the former has enough respect for them as individuals to reveal the truth.

It is so deceptive to sugarcoat facts.  People are going to find out the truth in the end anyway so it is better to be straight with the facts.  People are so much stronger and resilient than we gave them credit for!

7. JanMaklak profile image77
    JanMaklakposted 4 years ago

I think that it would be frustrating for the person receiving the bad news to listen to code language or beating around the bush.  When I worked in a hospital "the patient's prognosis is not good" meant they were going to die.  Often an answer from the patient or family would be about difficulty recovering not getting the medical speak  Potentially it also makes the person receiving the news feel stupid because they  don't get what the sender thought was obvious. 

I think saying "I'm sorry but your application is declined" or I'm sorry but your aunt is dying"  is much preferable to any sugar coating