Do most Americans have too much pride?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (35 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

As a generalization, do Americans have too much pride in some things? Is it better to have pride or be humble? Can you be humble and still defend your country? What are the benefits of pride?

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Forget pride and overthrow people in power... dont them them control us!

1. mistywild profile image59
        mistywildposted 14 years agoin reply to this

there ya go!!

1. mistywild profile image59

complete and total anarchy is the answer..... for, maybe, ants.

2. profile image0
          shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They have a nerve, dont they?  They have a great time on our money, swan around and employ psychologists to control us.  Enough is enough!  We aint as stupid as they think... the worst thing about manipulation is when we KNOW we are being manipulated!  Ignorance is bliss but we are all too intelligent to be manipulated, so there is no bliss .. just anger!

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Did they really employ psychologists? I didn't hear about that. Do you have a link?

1. Jerami profile image58
              Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AND  I AINT AS STUPID AS I THINK I AM EITHER  !!!

1. Jerami profile image58

Sorry if I sounded mad....   I promise i wasn't.

2. Jerami profile image58

I started reading all of the posts; .....      ?
      The answer is ........                 Pride is a good thing if it is the product of something well done.

..........................?????????????????????????????
          But pride in and off itself produces nothing worth keeping.  ...  Grand pa said it.

Sounds right to me.

2. sooner than later profile image61
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

do you ever get tired of yourself?

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I am extremely proud to be an American citizen. Even so, I have great admiration for other nations and other cultures. Actually, I find them fascinating and enjoy learning about them. As far as history is concerned, the USA is "the new kid on the block."

I agree with all of that. I am talking about pride that some Americans are uneducated enough to likely believe that America is still number 1 on the food chain. I guarantee there are millions of Americans that still currently believe we are the richest country in the world.

1. sooner than later profile image61
        sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

so long as I have food on the table, a roof over my head and tiolette that flushes every time- I know I am more fortunate than 80% of the world.

I didn't say there aren't things to be fortunate for.

I am talking about when someone gets used to being number 1, they get relaxed with pride and arrogance forgetting how they became number 1 to begin with. Does this not make sense to you?

It does. What many won't agree on are the items that made us #1 nor the issues that take us away from #1.

Well, anyone should be able to put together the puzzle that we were founded as a republic. That was for a good reason. We are no longer a republic.

you would think it would be that easy.

It isn't because we are uneducated and misinformed by the media. Also the fact that we voted on character rather than politics.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Which we aren't... (deficit) Since we owe all that money to China I'd say they are the richest nation. There are more millionaire's per capita in the Arab nations.

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Soviets too had a lot of pride LOL. Yes, Americans do, and I would think public education has something to do with it.

1. Colebabie profile image60
      Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

(Generalization) But thats what this thread is about smile
      Not my kinda thing... peace out!

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love ya too smile

5. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

People assume we are the "richest" because of the resources here. I think most Americans know about the ridiculous deficit. And a lot of people correspond "rich" with powerful and influential.

How do most Americans know when most don't keep up with politics and the media continually lies that the economy is growing? The media has people believe we are coming out of the deficit when unemployment continues to rise. Money rich is power and influence.

6. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

From a Canadians perspective I find the US pride to be inspiring.  Patriotism is not visible here.  I don't think the US could ever have too much pride.

I disagree. I think some get too relaxed and forget to think with too much pride. Not thinking isn't good. Thank You for the compliment though.

2. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have met LOTS of very patriotic Canadians. big_smile

Every country has the ultra-patriotic, the very-patriotic, the just-patriotic, and those more or less indifferent to their nationality. Every country I've ever been to, at least. They just express it differently.

7. sooner than later profile image61
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

You want to talk about prideful countries, head south of our border.

8. mistywild profile image59
    mistywildposted 14 years ago

what exactly is too much pride???

I think too much pride is being blind.

Havn't many associated you with great pride?

People have associated me with a lot of things. Does that mean they are correct? I think some pride is good when it's not blinding.

2. mistywild profile image59

could you put that in terms I can understand please?? pride and blind don't seem to go together? lol

I think when some have too much pride/content in what they think they already know, this can keep them blind to learning new things. I think it can also keep some people from admitting fault in things when they are wrong.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)