jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)

If we take the definition of "Infestation" to be:

1. Mr. Happy profile image83
    Mr. Happyposted 3 years ago

If we take the definition of "Infestation" to be:

"Infestation refers to the state of being invaded or overrun by pests or parasites.[1] It can also refer to the actual organisms living on or within a host.[2]", at what point do humans become a pest for the planet they inhabit? Or is this even possible?

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

Interesting question. Using your first definition, I would say that humans could be considered an infestation on the earth. I say that because I believe we're to the point at which humans are causing much more damage at a faster pace than the earth can "repair" itself.

Mr. Happyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank You Mrs. Sheilamyers.

3. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

If there's one thing I've learned from gardening, it's that Mother Nature always wins in the end. So, whenever I hear someone talk about saving the planet, I have to laugh. Our planet doesn't need saving. Mankind needs saving.

If we continue on at our present pace, depleting resources that take hundreds or thousands of years to replace, fouling our air and water, and just generally treating our planet like we can just throw it away and get another when it wears out, Mother Nature will flick us out of existence like gnats. We're way overdue for one of her whimsical population reduction measures, like a plague, or a worldwide drought, or a radical shift in climate.

Regardless of what or when one of these things happens, the earth will continue. Mankind will probably not. We will deserve our extinction, because we truly are an out of control infestation.

Thank You,  Mr. Lisavollrath.

4. aguasilver profile image81
    aguasilverposted 3 years ago

George Carlin summed up this problem in a supreme manner with the following sketch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL8HP1WzbDk

Hopefully we can take it in and learn from the late George Carlin.

Personally I think we have very little time before the planet shrugs we humans off and takes a rest to recover from the virus we represent.

1. Ericdierker profile image56
      Ericdierkerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Excellent by Carlin.

2. Mr. Happy profile image83

Thank You Mr. Aguasilver and thank You Mr. Ericdierker.

5. maxoxam41 profile image75
    maxoxam41posted 3 years ago

If you are asking this question, it is obvious that the problem exists. Worldwide marches showed the little interest our planet has to the average Joe.
    By 2020, the earth will account 7 billion people. By 2050, 50% of the water resource will have disappeared. Thanks to our environmental disregard icebergs disintegrate (the accumulation of fresh water disequilibrates marine currents), oceans acidify, droughts, typhoons are knocking at our doors, the atomic energy among others pollutes the earth... When the discrepancy between the growth of the population and the availability of goods expands what will become of us? The agenda 21 and its derivatives : the current Ebola outspread, wars waged in the middle east or simply the third world war will be welcomed to deliver our elites from the useless eaters that we are.

Thank You Mr. Maxoxam41.

2. daughterson profile image85
      daughtersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Basically I agree, but this is scary negative.  The American Indians and the Australian Aboriginis(sp?) had it right.

3. maxoxam41 profile image75
      maxoxam41posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Indeed it is scary especially for younger generations, what will they become?
      You're welcome Mr Happy, I always love your interventions. Very enlightening.

6. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 3 years ago

hmmmm . . . interesting for sure. Speculatively that probably has occurred by the definition shared. 'State of Being' would be the point of focus. State of being is a state of presence. At question is the 'State of Wellness'. The synergized form is the 'State of Wellbeing'.

Some would say we are to busy consuming like ticks on a hound dog. We even consume time. Our economy is based on consumption. It is not a caretaker economy. Even our healthcare system is based on consumption of products, procedures, and without oddity patients. Our progressive nations consume nature - geology, plant life, animal life, and etc. Consumption is a circle. Vicious?

The hound dog is our planet. It is getting tired of the ticks nibbling on it. It will survive even if it has to loose some flesh, hair, and blood scratching and gnawing at those ticks. Then it will heal, but without the ticks consuming its blood. Blood could be said is a metaphor for life.

Thank You Mr. Tsmog.

7. Spirit Whisperer profile image80
    Spirit Whispererposted 3 years ago

It depends on your perception. If you see humans as all separate then you might see them as pests or parasites hell bent on destruction of the planet and themselves. If however you see all as one then the notion of parasite is not possible.

When we perceive ourselves as bodies and separate from each other then we project our self loathing on to others and the world justifying our attack on others and the destruction of a world that sustains what we loathe.

When we see all as one then projection is not possible and so the notion of attacking or infesting oneself becomes insane!

Thank You, Mr. Spirit Whisperer.

working