jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why does Xmas, the supposedly marvelous time of the year, spawn an increase in d

1. one2get2no profile image83
    one2get2noposted 3 years ago

Why does Xmas, the supposedly marvelous time of the year, spawn an increase in divorces?

A local lawyer reported that in January he expected to start over 500 divorce cases when the average for other months of the year are around 150.

2. ikepius profile image75
    ikepiusposted 3 years ago

poeple-particularly women- think that they are starting afresh... Possibly with a fresh partner.

3. Diana Lee profile image82
    Diana Leeposted 3 years ago

Celebrations get out of hand when drunk partners think they can abuse their spouse and their family, therefore a new lifestyle sounds like the best way to bring in a new year.

4. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 3 years ago

Family abuse tends to skyrocket over the holidays; lack of finances, or people stressed out over visitors, produces this.  Also, if a divorce is finalized before the end of the year, it helps with taxes.

5. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

According to statistics in the U.S. (women) initiate divorce filings 66% or 2/3rds of the time.
    My guess is people who file for divorce after the first of the year see it as having a brand new start for themselves. It's possible they may have gone back and forth over whether or not to stay or move on. Symbolically a new year represents a "clean slate".
    People are more courageous or optimistic about changes at the start of a new year.
    A new year also elicits hope for a better year than the previous one. I've heard "being together" (more) for some couples causes problems. I've even read reports of people breaking up after taking vacations together or filing for divorce immediately after their honeymoon! Holiday seasons oftentimes puts people together longer than they're use to.