What this election means for same sex marriage

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 11 years ago

The election last night proved that same sex marriage now has enough popular support to win elections it looks like all three states passed referendums on same sex marriage a significant milestone towards equality in our nation, as was the whole election, yet another way the GOP is going to have to evolve if they wish to remain relevant

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

The country is moving rapidly in a direction of more tolerance and inclusion.
    I think the POTUS has set a new standard -- long overdue -- from the top.
    There are so many real issues this country faces.
    Why waste energy on issues the majority of the country don't want to debate?

Same with the abortion issue. I saw a segment tonight on how all 9 of the candidates associated with "rape and abortion" or "exclusions for health of mother" were all defeated. Mourdock, Akins, Walsh and their ilk. Even Ryan's hard core "rape is just another method of conception" comment drew fire.

The exit polls show a less than 1/3 of  Americans favor criminalizing abortion.
    Surely the pro-life crowd can find plenty to keep them occupied and busy among the life that is already here.

Hey GOP, here's an idea:
    Live and let live.
    Or another way of putting it: adapt or die.

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

++++++++

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If the GOP doesn't change some of their views, they will die. I just don't "get" the same-sex marriage thing - and I'm a Christian. Even my husband doesn't have a prob with gay rights, and he's pretty far right. I don't think it's up to us to judge.

1. profile image0
          SassySue1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Many are not against same sex marriage as the liberal media tries to portray. They are against an amendment guaranteeing such as a right. Why? Because that will be used as a means of forcing churches to perform same sex marriages who oppose it. This goes against Freedom of Religion. Disagreeing with their stance is one thing, denying their right to hold a religious view is quite another.
          A Hubpages member recently told me that any church that does refuses to perform same sex marriages should have their tax exempt status removed. A status they hold as a religious institution. In other words, their right to their religious views should be curtailed by the government. I have no issue with the passage of amendments that recognize same sex marriage and grant marriage rights. At the state level. I have no issue with an amendment that same sex marriages should be recognized, on the Federal level. Only an amendment that makes it a right which would be used to outlaw a religious view.

1. Josak profile image60

This is pathetic. The right to marry is a simple legal definition that allows one to march into a court house and get a marriage license it has ZERO impact on what one can and can't do in a church and in all the states that allow same sex marriage churches are not forced to marry people, though some do by choice.

This lie is yet another method of hiding the bigotry under another layer but you have to be brain dead to fall for it.

1. profile image0
              SassySue1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You would not. Most would not. You sit there and call it a lie, but were in the very forum where the post was made. It only takes one such minded individual. Just one.
              So what do you call it if a church should lose their tax exempt status if they refuse? Isn't that the same bigotry you claim to abhor?
              As I stated, you are talking about states. You are also talking about recognizing same sex unions as marriages. You are not talking about amendments guaranteeing it as a right. A legal definition of marriage, is not the same as a guaranteed right. Which I clearly said I had no issue with.

1. Drive By Quipper profile image58
                Drive By Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think churches should lose their tax exempt status. Too many are in business. Then, we will see who the real givers are.

2. Josak profile image60

No one person wanting to do it is completely irrelevant the law gives no right to make a church do something, just as with divorced couples in the Catholic church, the church has every right to object and there is no legal recourse to force them.
                I highly doubt that is your motive for opposition but if it is completely false.

2. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Standards, that's funny.

3. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

An openly gay senator won in Wisconsin so progress is being made. If two adults will live together intimately on a committed basis you might as well give them marital benefits. I just hope they don't push this for pet dogs later on. We already have pet amber alerts. And before we get there, No gays are not animals. Most people don't have a problem with Ellen, Travolta, Wanda Sykes, Anderson Cooper and so on.

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

I think you're right - the GOP will either evolve to more tolerance or die.  I would also say that either the liberals will learn economic and fiscal responsibility or die as well, along with our economy. 

People in general are learning tolerance for others and the political parties will have to match it. One day they may just learn that they do not have an innate right to the fruits of others' work and the political scene will have to change again.

5. Drive By Quipper profile image58
    Drive By Quipperposted 11 years ago

More power to you! Good luck to you and your boyfriend. I hope you have many years of happiness together.

6. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

The marriage equality laws would never force any church to carry out the ceremony.  That is just untrue.  They can still refuse on any grounds (divorcee, non-congregational, other faith etc) just as they do now. Churches legal can, and some still do, refuse marriage to mixed race couples.

1. Josak profile image60

Correct. It's private property and there are no regulations forcing them to, just more smokescreen.

7. profile image0
    HawkCityChic7posted 11 years ago

I don't agree with same sex marriage, however people are  not going to believe on the same things.

1. Josak profile image60

Agreeing with and actively opposing are very different. I have a vegetarian friend who thinks eating meat is immoral, that is fine and I respect her conviction, if she were to try to force the rest of the world not to eat meat too that would be wrong.

1. profile image0
        HawkCityChic7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well you can't force anyone to eat nor believe what they do. You either accept it or you don't. You can't compare apples to oranges on that. Meat and being gay/lesbian is not the same.

1. Josak profile image60

The principle is the same, disagreeing with something is not the same as forcing other people to conform to what you agree or disagree with.
          Having an opinion is everyone's right, making others follow the constraints of that opinion is infringing on the rights of others.

As for the eating meat issue they are ideologically the same, it's a moral and ethical choice that people make and should have the right to make.

1. profile image0
            HawkCityChic7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you feel forced into agreeing with the marriage thing? Because I don't. It is what it is. To me there are other issues the President needs to address and the gay marriage isn't one of importance to me.

1. Josak profile image60

Not at all, I agree with it and have since I was a child decades and decades ago, even if I didn't however I would never dare suggest that other people be forced to not marry whomever they love to conform to my opinion, I agree it shouldn't be a major issue, it's something we should legalize and get out of the way as quickly as posible so more time can be dedicated to other issues.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)