jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Should America rename its Capitol?

1. LoliHey profile image55
    LoliHeyposted 2 years ago

Should America rename its Capitol?

George Washington owned slaves.  Does this make him racist?  If so, should we rename our Capitol?  Should we start renaming all places and streets of those who either owned slaves or were known to be racist?  What should our Capitol be renamed to?

2. profile image0
    Jayfortposted 2 years ago

No! Rewriting history does NOT change history, it merely hides it from view and being learned. People need to understand that times have changed and what was once acceptable no longer is. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

3. Levi Legion profile image61
    Levi Legionposted 2 years ago

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh when I read this question. Washington and other slave owners were "normal" for their time and place in history. If you had been living in that time period, it's likely that you would have viewed slavery as just another part of society and the economy.

If it weren't for the courage and resolve of those men, you wouldn't even be asking this question because there would be no USA.

1. LoliHey profile image55
      LoliHeyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

And that's exactly the point I want to make to all who have an issue with the name of our Capitol.

2. Levi Legion profile image61
      Levi Legionposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Ok. I thought you actually were that PC!   smile

4. Old-Empresario profile image83
    Old-Empresarioposted 2 years ago

Hiding our history doesn't cover the reality that our 1st president owned slaves. Our 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 18th presidents all owned slaves at one time as well. Should we change the name of the capital of Jefferson, MO? And, believe it or not, there were worse things Washington did than own slaves--who were freed at the death of his wife by the way. And we should remember that owning slaves was legal in Washington's day. It may be immoral, but it was allowed. I'm sure if it was legal today, many Americans would still do it.

I suppose if there is one thing we might consider is to stop worshipping figures in history who were political leaders or rulers. Few were perfect. We should not revile them either. We should remember what they did objectively without getting emotional about it.

5. wba108@yahoo.com profile image83
    wba108@yahoo.composted 2 years ago

If Washington DC is to have a name change is shouldn't be changed because of the supposed sins of our forefathers but to reflect the nature of what it is now.

The new name should reflect what the federal government represents now, which is a Nanny State that extracts the goods of the makers to distribute to takers (special interest groups) and then lectures the makers about not being happy about it!

This Nanny State's prime virtue is "victim hood", being a victim is the greatest honor  in the politically correct liberal bastion of our capital.

Some new name suggestions maybe would be,

Pompocity, Dependence or Whinerville

working