Why ARE so many religionists CONCERNED about Atheists?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Why ARE so many religionists CONCERNED about Atheists?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8387810_f260.jpg

2. ValKaras profile image84
    ValKarasposted 2 years ago

Grace, you are likely to see a counter-question, not from me but from them: "Why are so many atheists concerned about religionists?"  Here we have two camps kicking the crap back and forth and neither side particularly willing to see the other side's point.

Religionists don't want to see how they got it made in this world so they are not really the "threatened" ones. Man, they even got God Almighty on their side. And yet, with all that power and thousands of years of practice, they somehow don't like the word "atheism". Atheists can't do anything to them and their mighty establishment, but they still think "how dare you" when you shut the door in front of their nose to continue watching your football game.

Now, to be fair, we should make a distinction here between those who just worship their God, not pushing it on anyone. I can't use big enough font here to say how I have a respect for them. I am not "against" religion as a system of ideas,  but I don't like religionists who call people "sinners", "hypocrites", and try to convince non-believers that they SHOULD believe. To me it's a violation of my own right. In a fair discussion I will let a religious person tell me why they believe in God  -  and I will tell them why I don't, at least the one advertised in organized religions and their holy books. People should have a right to express themselves.

I get pissed off when so called believers act out their egos and make a  battlefield out of a discussion, where any epithets are allowed. When someone tells me that their God means "love", and then shows no loving attitude, then something is wrong.

I have had some wonderful discussions with people of faith, and they showed no defensiveness whatsoever. One of my English teachers here in Canada was also a theologian, and he surprised me by saying that he saw more spirituality in me than he had seen in many church-goers.

Believers of that kind didn't feel "attacked" by my questions, didn't "defend" their faith, they even admitted how they saw my logic behind those questions. We found a friendly ground of two reasonable human beings curious about each others' convictions.

I don't call such folks "religionists" but only those who fit this name ending with "........ism", meaning that they are faith-pushers, and in opposition with those who dare to think differently.

1. jonnycomelately profile image82
      jonnycomelatelyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well said!  I don't say this because I feel vindicated with my own atheistic opinions.....only because I see it as a very big reason for anyone who has a Faith to open his/her mind to the opinions of others....with nothing to fear for being open.

3. Austinstar profile image82
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

I really don't understand why so many people of religion are so concerned with:
    atheists
    sex
    murder
    lies
    indoctrinating their children (not letting them decide on whether to worship a god, or not)
    a woman's reproductive organs and right to bear or not bear children
    ordinary gossip and judging (constant)
    and about 10,000 other things that don't affect them.
    Don't want to talk to atheists? Then don't!
    Don't like thinking about gay sex? Then turn your attention to your own sex life.
    Don't want capitol punishment? Then don't assess death penalties.
    Don't want people to think you are a liar? Then don't tell lies.
    Don't want your children to be healed by modern medical science? Then get on your knees and pray for faith healing. No one is forcing you to consult an atheist doctor.
    Don't want an abortion? Don't have one.
    Don't want to be judged? Then don't judge others.
    It's just that simple folks!
    Keep your religion to yourself. Keep it in your homes and your "houses of worship".
    You are free to do so.

1. ValKaras profile image84
      ValKarasposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Austinstar: I am not so aware of all these aspects of Christians' interfering with the legally accepted ways of life  -  but I see your point and I agree.

2. jlpark profile image81
      jlparkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Some are still trying to interfere with the legal marriages of gay people - blocking them (Kim Davis and a new guy), threatening death, introducing bills 2 criminalise anal sex (tho, it's not just gays who do that...). We're aware even if u arent.

3. profile image0
      Commonsensethinkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Very well made points. One curiosity is the fact that this issue is principally an American situation. In much of Europe what you suggest applies already in most cases, maybe because there is a considerably higher percentage of religious sceptics.

4. cobrien profile image76
      cobrienposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I am a Christian and my church and religion believes that it is our responsibility to save souls by informing them of the grace of God. We do not force our religion on anyone or judge.

5. Austinstar profile image82
      Austinstarposted 2 years agoin reply to this

cobrien - please inform your church that the grace of god is free for the asking and god doesn't need you to take responsibility for it. If someone wants to go to church, simply invite them, don't preach to them.

4. Besarien profile image84
    Besarienposted 2 years ago

As a Christian I love everyone. Of course I'm concerned about atheists. They are people. I find people who have different points of view interesting. Most of the time I find atheists I meet really aren't all that different from me in other ways. Nice when you can find common ground and have polite debate. That doesn't mean I want to convert them or force them to submit to Biblical law. I do not want America to become a Christian theocracy. Other Christians feel differently of course. I am sure that having people push their religion on you definitely gets old for atheists and anybody else. But discussing our differences and finding out where we can agree, that can only be a good thing, right?

1. ValKaras profile image84
      ValKarasposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Besarien :You are absolutely right. The problem is the one of communication, not what people privately choose to believe. I don't understand the logic behind religion, if there is any, but I can accept people believing, logic or not.

5. cobrien profile image76
    cobrienposted 2 years ago

God created man and woman to be sexually pure until marriage, to leave family homes and build a home and family together. To us, anything else is unnatural.
    All human life is sacred and should not be terminated for purposes of convenience.
    This country was founded on Christianity and the fewer people who practice religion, the worse the morals in this country become. We feel God wants us to spread the word and save others.

1. Austinstar profile image82
      Austinstarposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You are wrong on both points. Read your bible. God himself has the worst morals of any of the deities. And this country was founded on the freedom to worship or not worship as you prefer. NOT on Christianity. That is a false rumor. Re: Constitution

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)