Why do so many respond to religious posts?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (156 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Ok, this has been a question in my mind for a while now.
    I actually am getting a headache so I'm gonna hurry this up.

1) I click on out of curiosity--but it's getting mighty old if you ask me. mighty old.

2)Why do you click on??

3) I think there is alot of hatred of religion and that is why certain people click on.

Have a nice time people. I think I'm sick to my stomach now.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

I click on because I need a good laugh. lol

schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you are a monster, I say! A monster!!!

Okay, if I'm a monster, then what does that make you for calling me one? lol

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image61
        Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wicked!

3. Freya Cesare profile image76
        Freya Cesareposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ever watched "Jesus Camp"?  Remember the Jonestown Massacre?  It is up to us unbelievers to check and make sure the faithful don't get completely out of hand. 

It's one thing to have your own little harmless beliefs, but when others are brainwashed into doing harm to themselves or others it becomes something we should all be concerned with.

I especially dislike it when science is tampered with by religious nutcases because it doesn't agree their bible.

1. Jewels profile image83
        Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said Randy, have to agree with this wholeheartedly. smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

DON’T BE!

People are starved for intelligent, philosophical debate. Unfortunately, the only available option seems to be religion (a branch of philosophy).

1. TamCor profile image77
        TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wish the conversation WOULD be intelligent and philosophical in these threads...unfortunately, they always turn into contests of who can throw the most barbed comments at each other... sad

I gave up trying to even read most of them ages ago--I saw hubbers whom I otherwise truly respected saying terrible things to others who didn't agree with their stances...

When you have strong beliefs, it's very hard to see them ridiculed...so I stay away now.

1. earnestshub profile image82
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's even worse when the biblical garbage spouted insults and belittles others, then the religionists takes no responsibility for calling other believers as well as non believers sinful, or telling them they are going to be tortured or left to die while they are whisked off to a better place because they hold the only "truth" smile
          So insulting to people who do not have their own personal sky bully.

So two wrongs make a right, then???

That's so sad...

Where are the two wrongs?
              Religionists start these threads all day long with loaded titles, then insult anyone who doesn't follow their version of a book as "truth."
              I'm not going to see bronze aged third party hate foisted on others without challenging it.
              I don't think it is wrong to challenge anything that would impose itself as truth when it is conjecture. Not just on religious forums either.

The two wrongs are the harsh words spewed from both sides...I hate it, don't want to be a part of it.  I don't preach, I just believe...so reading all the vitriol hurts me, that's all I'm saying.

It's funny that you should be the one to challenge me...you are one of the main hubbers that I was referring to in my first post.  When I first came on here, you were so nice to me, and I always remembered that...that's why it's hard for me to see what you post on religious threads.

I hope you can take this in the spirit it is intended...smile

It does get harsh doesn't it? Thank you for your kindness. smile
                  I do what I can to be helpful.
                  As far as the religious hubs go, I feel you are probably right, we are very different personalities, and I enjoy that about you, but as we look in from both sides. I can see that no person enjoys being told their beliefs are wrong. smile

What to do? I am still helping to bring up children and do not wish them to become indoctrinated in what I see to be something very evil because someone feels the overpowering urge to tell everyone else what they should believe in.
                  I don't start threads that are assumptive in their title. "God died for your sins" type titles are insulting and presumptive.
                  It is outrageous to assume it is OK and do so as it preimposes a belief. Not a fact. A belief.
                  Thank you for your observations, I will consider them and take them in the way you intended. smile

Thank you, too, for understanding what I was trying to say. smile

Obviously my beliefs offend you, as yours do me.  But neither of us are going to change the others' mind, so I guess it's better just to agree to disagree...and for me to stay out of the religious threads... smile

2. Freya Cesare profile image76

Debate? Where? Ah, I thought It was Philosophical comedy! hmm

4. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I stopped replying to religious thread because there is plenty of snark and intolerance *on both sides*.

This forum might be nicer if more people just left those threads alone.

1. profile image0
        Rookie70posted 13 years agoin reply to this

psycheskinner, please don't abandon the religious threads, you are appreciated to have in the religious posts. You're an intelligent young lady, and you make great responses.  Just overlook those goonies who bother you. I respect you.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's self-perpetuating.  Because religion stirs such strong feelings, religious threads dominate the "latest posts".  It's hard to ignore 75% of the posts on the list, so eventually you're bound to click on one just to join in something - and then you have to say something, which keeps that thread on the "latest posts" and attracts someone else.

There are always crackpots who post in contentious threads like religion and politics and there are always people who can't resist biting back.  If everyone just ignored them it would all stop - but then there are some people who can't resist deliberately baiting them, either.

6. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend  schoolgirlforreal

Life is meaningful, created with a purpose; the Atheists Agnostics don't find any good purpose for the life, only religion expalins it. They therefore click it to satisfy their inner desire "to know"; otherwise they should have never clicked the religious topics.

This is what I visualize.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

And you would be dead wrong. Most non-believers I know are happy loving people who don't hack each others limbs off over who's invisible fairy is the real one! lol lol lol
        All I see are a bunch of terminally depressed religionists here, fighting over who has the right god to re-inforce their own pathetic beliefs.

Wow, Earnest...

Thanks so much...and I thought we'd actually gotten somewhere on this thread. sad

1. Freya Cesare profile image76

Hi, TamCor.  This is the first time we meet in here.

I just want to say, don't hope too much. wink

These Hubbers are nice person out of Religion & Philosophy Forum. But I guess something about this forum really able to turned people around, or maybe they just wearing different masks here, I don't know. hmm

Just stay away as far as you can. smile

And what in hell would you know about me? lol
              At least have the decency to speak directly to me when you insult me!

I know nothing about you, earnesthub, and I said 'these Hubbers' mean all of you in general, all Hubbers who love to hang out around Religion & Philosophy Forum and lived up the heat there, not specifically to you. Sorry if you feel that way smile.

2. TamCor profile image77

Hi Freya.  As I mentioned before, I usually do stay away, but I got into a discussion with Earnest this time around.

I can see I'm just not cut out for this stuff--I've never tried to push my faith on anyone, and won't start now.  But I also don't like having my faith made fun of and mocked, either.  Maybe it's all fun and games for some on here, but it's not for me.

There is no used to feel offended. The debate in this topic already presented in so many way and it seem not really gave us good result but headache. I learned my lesson only by reading in many post they all made and decided to keep my sanity by staying away as far as I can. hmm

But in so many time, I found  Religion & Philosophy Forum can be really enjoyable too, when everyone start doing ping pong on ridiculous subject and laughed on each others crazily. lol

Freya...Thank you for trying. smile

I am offended, whether it makes sense or not.  My wonderful brother-in-law is dying as we speak, so maybe that makes me a little more vulnerable to all of this right now...

So I am staying away--if I continue to watch my faith being ridiculed, I would probably speak up and say something that I would never have lowered myself to saying any other time.

So all of you can have your fun--I'm done trying to make sense of any of this.

My condolence to your lost, TamCor. I hope everything will be better for you and your family soon.

Have a nice day. smile

2. the pink umbrella profile image73
        the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh my goodness, how wrong you are you peaceful muslim. smile

7. britneydavidson profile image58
      britneydavidsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really a good question. See whole world is facing so many problems, lot of sorrow, no one is happy, though they have money or not but not happy . So everyone participate in religious post to make themselve happy and calm. As we all know talking about God, makes us relax and peace and sure many time we forget our sorrow. Also many of our problem are solve due to remembering God and following God path.

That's why everyone participate here on this topic. Though many people saying there is no God, but still in there heart they have some love for God. That's why they join the coversation. And they know they will learn something more about God (though dont believe in God)

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. You are totally wrong. We are just trying to educate people in the hope that we would be encouraged to make a better world instead of fighting over invisible deities. Sorry.

Your god does not exist. Now we can move on - develop a value system that does not limit the resources to a large part of humanity. Where do you think we should start now we have dropped the irrational belief systems?

1. britneydavidson profile image58

Brother, Mark I know you have some faith of 0.1% in God that's why you participate in this forum esle, you cant join the disccussion. I know it is very tought to accept the truth but still try to beilve more in God, you will surely enjoy your life with company of God.

No one fighting over invisible deities but everyone telling there religion is truth. So all believe in God. Today i am happy to know the all have some love in there heart for God.

God bless to all souls.

You cannot be serious, that you believe what you put in that post. lol lol

WOW! lol lol

1. britneydavidson profile image58

There is some belief in human mind that;s why its force to go in that way, same here some beleif is there that's why all participate.

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image61

That's messed up! Might as well leave people be. You know I hope to god that you believe that you die and are buried in the ground and that's the end of you because if there was any ounce of spiritual awareness you wouldn't be so quick to Judge.

Oh, I forgot your academic intelligence out smarts it all huh?

Oh so forgive me. You must be to smart to believe in spirituality and a divine being.

My Bad!

It might be good if you actually found out what I know and never mind what I believe. lol

Beliefs are for suckers and the gullible. Stick to things you can prove. As for spirituality...I'm so sorry to inform you that it is not restricted to religious folks. Otherwise, people outside of religion wouldn't feel love.

So please, go get your facts and truth straight before you even attempt to think.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

No - sorry. I understand the God concept - where it arose and the purpose it serves. You are the ignorant one.

Be honest with yourself instead. Try it - go on - look deep inside. See? You do not actually believe this rubbish about an external. personal god - it makes no sense at all, nor do you think it is a positive thing for humanity.

But - having opened your trap - you feel bound to defend your ridiculous position rather than admit to yourself and others that it is garbage and be embarrassed. That is the problem with your belief - it create liars and cognitive dissonance. Sad. sad

No god. None. I have not even a 0.1% belief in this nonsense. And - I know that your religion teaches you to have no respect for anyone else's opinion - but - I know what I am thinking and you do not.

I love my life and enjoy it immensely thanks.

I am just trying to educate people such as yourself to help free you from the bonds of irrational belief and servitude.

Once you can - you will realize what true freedom is and - maybe be able to enjoy your life instead of trying to get other people to believe the rubbish you do - that will not make you feel any less foolish, and being honest with yourself will allow you to free your creativity. It is wonderful to be honest with yourself. I encourage you to try it. wink

3. getitrite profile image69
            getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no way I could love the psychopathic, savagely, sadistic God of the bible, who murders people for absurd and unjust reasons--such as being gay, or not being a virgin on your wedding night, or committing adultery, or merely working on the sabbath.

I hope you are talking about some other God.

None of the others are much chop either I'm afraid! After all, the purpose of "appointing" a god was to ensure the great unwashed were sh*t scared and obedient. smile

I guess we're done discussing this then? 

Okay, that's fine, I at least thought you might acknowledge my posts from this morning, though.

I guess I can see which way you prefer to go here, so I'll leave you alone now.

Which post this morning TamCor?  And please explain what you are talking about. smile

I left two comments on the second page of this thread this morning...maybe you didn't see them.

2. Freya Cesare profile image76

Here we go again! Hhhhhh! sad

So - I should shut up I guess? Your religion is no longer able to punish unbelievers thank goodness - or at least - not where I live, so I can feel free to express my opinion.

Odd that the very first thing you wish to say to anyone you meet is that you hold an irrational belief system - yet anyone who thinks there is no god gets "Here we go again!" LOL

Your god does not exist. Sorry. sad

Odd you cannot grasp the basic principle that - if you stop telling people there is a god - they will stop telling you it is nonsense. Not rocket science - is it?

Tell you what - you stop telling me what your beliefs are and I stop telling you they are nonsense. Deal?

Oh Mark, I almost forget how fun it is to talk to you. big_smile

Don't worry Mark, I'll save my thought about my God inside my Hubs only and do not have intention to start another debate with you, because HubPages already have too much of it. smile

Don't you feel tired sometimes? Ah, of coursed not! You are Mark Knowles!

My pleasure. I exist only to please and entertain.

So - no deal then?
                No believer ever takes that deal. sad

I was actually referring to your decision to publicly proclaim your religion by wearing religious garb and displaying said garb in your profile. This ensures that the first thing anyone knows about you is your preferred irrational belief system.

Ah, that is really my real purpose by using that avatar, Mark. So I don't have to make people misunderstood about who I am and what I believe. Those who don't like around Muslim can be save their time from communicate with me. Which I hope, even I believe what you don't believe, I still able to communicate with you outside Religion and Philosophy topic since I though you are brilliant in many subject. smile

You can say that I am not similar with any other believer because I thought Religion is something personal and should not pushed to those who do not want to know or care or like you; do not believe. I will answer the mocked to my religion if it is have good benefit other than self selfishness and fulfilling the need to win on something. Or if it is genuine question. But  in so many times many of you really turned this forum into comedy and it is really enjoyable to read. lol Thank you for the show! wink

By the way, deal, Mark. roll

I will never telling you God really exist unless it is you who asking to me. Even it must be really fun sometimes to be able to lure you to start your preach about your Star Goat. big_smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

Thank you.
                    But - the fact that you want to proclaim your religion to me as the very first thing you want to tell me about yourself - without me asking - is off-putting.

I think religion should be private - and I do not care to be told what religion you follow as being the most important thing you want to tell me - which you are doing by wearing religious garb.

It colors any discussion we may have outside of religion; it offends me on a cultural level because I am not used to women wearing clothing for religious reasons except for nut jobs like nuns.

And it bothers me that this is so important to you that you want to be sure I understand that you are religious.

Now - you can take that how you will, but - if you want me to speak to you as a person - I do not want to know what your religious affiliation is. So - you have already broken our deal. wink

Yes you are just like all the other sheeple - blind and unable to see the other person's perspective. You think you are keeping your religious-ness personal - and you wear clothes that proclaim your religion.

Self-understanding is not a strong suit amongst the religious people I have met, so - sorry - you are just like all the other believers - your religion is more important than anything else.

You specifically wear clothes to show your religious affiliation. How is that keeping it personal?

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, why do some posters continually open up new threads?  boredom, attention-seeking...
      maybe if we clicked on the second page, we could bring up different threads.

9. pintails7886 profile image67
      pintails7886posted 13 years agoin reply to this

because it is such a sencitive topic and people are so crazy and get so mad over religion which actually goes against what their religion teaches in the first place

10. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I used to avoid religious posts like the plague, but I've discovered they can be pretty good fun.

11. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's an easy one.  People like to stir the pot by design.  It is their way of freely offering a cyber "enema" to those wishing to have a meaningful theological discussion.

12. Freeway Flyer profile image84
      Freeway Flyerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some want to evangelize. Some are annoyed by those who evangelize and enjoy antagonizing them. Some find it interesting to discuss the most fundamental issues of life. At one point or another, I have been all of those people. Today, I try to stay in the latter category.

2. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

The question should be, why are there so many religious posts to begin with?

schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you non believers start them all
      ironic huh

3. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 13 years ago

Forums on religion are most interesting because it brings out the best and the worst in most! lol However, without the participation of the atheists it would be most boring! After the first few shots are fired, they know why we believe and we know why they don't. Then it's back to square one! lol Rinse ... and repeat!

The best thing to do is to "watch from far!" 18 inches away from the monitor is the recommended distance. lol lol lol

Somehow it is hard to not agree with you about that! big_smile big_smile big_smile

Or you could try being honest and direct instead of snide and anally retentive! lol

Wait! Ah, I forget where I put my rifle, Earnest hmm. Maybe later! big_smile

Revealing. smile

On my lovely hobby on shooting people? Oh sure, Earnest. The swords not really useful any more these days. big_smile

I would not say the sword is useless quite yet. It has done a great job for the fubdies!

Hundreds of people are still having their arms legs and even head lopped of with it. smile As a muslim I thought you would know that. smile

Yes I know. And I thought that scary. That is why I always following Islam standart of morality so I will never experience that. cool

I really like the "morality" towards women in your sick tome..... a lot like the bible really. smile

Qur’an 4.34 Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.

The kindness towards the women is lovely! smile

4. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

Thank God that you are entitled to hold your non belief. smile

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Free thinking is not an entitlement. lol

You make a very good point! smile

And the other good point to go with that Earnest is that the only people I have to be thankful to is my parents. wink lol

I'll second that one too. smile Another good point.

lol lol lol

Yep, no god required. tongue smile

Exactly right. My father had great morals, real ones that were respectful of the planet and it's inhabitants.
              I did not learn anything in the way of morals from any god and nor did my father. smile

1. Kimberly Bunch profile image61

Hmmm. Hope you sat down with a Native Indian and heard their spiritual teachings at least?! It should be mandatory in order to live in the USA LOL.

Life would be miserable being left in the dark. It makes for angry people that are heartless and ruthless. Then again we see that with religion too.

Spiritual understanding should at least be known with all mankind. For goodness sakes how can anyone go through life and believe when they die that is the end of them?

So sad in the bigger picture of it all.

I do respect atheist., but to have no spiritual understanding is unusual.

I have sat down and spoken to many native Americans and Australian aboriginals too. They are both rightly pi**ed off. smile

2. TamCor profile image77

My father has great morals, too, and so does my mother. Neither of them are particularly religious--we didn't go to church, we didn't pray at meals, actually God was rarely even acknowledged.

But somehow, from an early age, I have had faith in God--no one taught me, it was just there.  I can't explain it, but it's been a part of my life since I was a child.

I've never been a member of a church, and never will be.  My husband and I don't believe you have to be a member to have faith.  Organized religion as a whole makes us uncomfortable, so we stay away from it.  It's fine for those who love it, but it's just not for us.

We have spent hours, literally, discussing all that goes on in these forum posts...the nastiness from both sides that just can't, or won't, be stopped.  Tom can take it better than I, so sometimes he jumps into the fray.

I can't, so this will most likely be the only "religious" thread I'll ever be in. 

I'm really sorry, Earnest, if something I said in my last post offended you, causing you to make those remarks earlier about all of us "terminally depressed religionists". 

I would never had intentionally insulted you that way...

6. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 13 years ago

I too did learn my morals from my parents, and they, from their parents, and their parents, from their grandparents, and on and on and ... hey! look who's here at the very end! It's Adam and Eve! lol lol lol

1. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. earnestshub profile image82

Yep! Adam and Eve. Who did they have sex with again? smile

1. quicksand profile image81
        quicksandposted 13 years agoin reply to this

With each other! There were no anti-porn laws then. lol  Nobody to decree! lol lol lol No papparazzi either!

7. yankeeintexas profile image60
    yankeeintexasposted 13 years ago

It is in us to seek some kind of wisedom. As humans we are always seeking that little bit of knowledge that will bring us fulfillment. I personally found in a relationship in Christ, and not a "religion". Looking for that fulfillment in "religion" is natural for us but, till we have that relatioship with God we will keep looking!

8. mable cellphone profile image61
    mable cellphoneposted 13 years ago

religion is nothing wrong abt that.everyone has their own belief.We should repect people whatever religion they belong to.

1. Dave Barnett profile image56
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The closer we get to 2012, the more you'll see people searching for answers. If you seek it, you'll find it. That IS apocalypse

9. 2besure profile image79
    2besureposted 13 years ago

Some of those who respond to religious post want to share their faith and some want to argue or mock Christians.

10. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I don't mind people speaking their mind in religion forums, but I think it's plain bad taste for any person to mock another one just because they think differently. The tone which some people use (which sometimes can get very, very arrogant) only shows a close-mind and plenty of superficiality. Believer or not, the truth is we can't judge others based on their beliefs. A person who thinks completely different than you, might turn out to be more HUMAN and DECENT than someone who shares your religious perspective. And this applies to both sides - believers and skeptics.

Well said. smile

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's usually not a matter of thinking differently, but a matter of thinking at all.

Claiming others have a closed mind because they mock an irrational belief is not correct. Those are the ones who actually chose to "think" about the irrational belief and understand it as such. And, while it may not be courteous to mock an irrational belief, it usually gets to that point because the believer has a closed mind and is rejecting rational common sense or evidence to the contrary.

11. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

I suppose it's most popular in the same way you have to slow down while driving past an accident and you don't want to look, but do,  and say OMG!  Look!  Then suddenly your starring at a gross scene, tragic maybe, saying 'can you believe that?

roll

can you please clarify 'many' respondents or what percentage, I am assuming here

cheers

should I have responded?

lol

12. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Because they make me feel sleepy and I can have a good night sleep at the expense of a tireless religious debate, plus some of the bible thumping nuggets just make me howl with laughter at the seriousness of it.....

13. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

You know what really makes my blood BOIL?

When skeptics write "weak argument" as a response.

Weak argument?  ...is that all they can say in their defense?

It is at that point where I sign out and turn off the computer... once the interaction becomes repetitive and it starts sounding like a scratched record.

Hmmm... hmmmm.... (clearing throat sound) Earnest? LOL wink

Weak argument! smile and I also said why. smile

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... CAN'T STAND IT ANYMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE! AAAAAAAAAAGH!!!! yikes

You keep promisin but yer not deliverin. smile
          "Stand not upon the order of your going, but go at once"

1. profile image0

I'm choosing to ignore you Earnest! neutral

1. profile image0

"strawman fallacy" - That's another one I dislike. Strawman??? It always reminds me of The Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz! Geeeeez!

2. earnestshub profile image82

Be my guest! lol lol lol

Why not produce a real point while you're at it! smile

1. profile image0

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx286/eudaimonia_pellinor/Debate/thmissing.gif

Great job on the ignoring thing!
                  Ya should ortta listen to Willie Wavadagga like I quoted! smile

1. profile image0

Willy Wawhoo? Wanka?
                    I'm just bored... smile Leaving for real this time. Good night Earnest! wink

2. Beelzedad profile image58

There's a reason for that, klara. In a debate forum such as these, there are guidelines for debating which include making strong arguments for your case. If you haven't done so, then that's usually the response you'll get. As well, there are a number of fallacies made in debates, which many fail to understand and wind up using them all the time, the 'strawman' fallacy is one of them.

I would suggest that if one gets well acquainted with these fallacies and carves their arguments without using them, their arguments will always be strong and relevant.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

smile

1. profile image0

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad167/simply_takenLJ/moodtheme/blah.gif

14. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Mark Knowles wrote:
    You miss my point. Lying to me is not really helping. You are not wearing religious garb for fashion reasons - you are making a statement and you are making it to everyone who sees you.

You are publicly declaring your religious affiliation and then lying to yourself and me by saying your religion is personal and private.

The fact that you are unable to discriminate between real people and the imaginary beings in your head is of no particular interest to me. What is of interest to me is that this is the first thing you wish to tell me about yourself by advertising your ridiculous beliefs.

I genuinely do not care what you believe - but - as I said - I am off put by the fact that this is the first thing you wish to tell me about yourself.

Making assumptions about me such as the fact that I do not respect freedom is just nonsense to defend your beliefs. I absolutely respect your right to do as you please. I am just being honest and telling you that I am put off by the fact that this is so important to you that you make certain I know about it immediately we meet.

So - this is honesty - not disrespecting your right to believe whatever you wish. I swear I do not care what you believe. What I do care about is your desire to make sure I know about it. I really do think religion should be a private matter - you do not.

Please do not be so condescending and patronizing when you speak to me. I do not want everything the same, I just prefer if people are honest with me and do not lie to me as you have just done. This demonstrates a complete lack of respect for me. You insult my intelligence by pretending your religion is private and wearing religious garb.

You insult me by telling me what I think and ignoring what I say to you when I am being honest with you. I would also  like it if people kept their irrational beliefs to themselves unless asked. 

In any case - Your ridiculous religion is neither colorful nor rich - it is dangerous and divisive, makes absolutely no sense in the current political arena (as it is a political tool) and guaranteed to cause conflicts. It is only a matter of time before your ridiculous belief system and the other competing political religion butt heads in a major way.
    ========================================================================================================================

Jerami wants to tell Mark how much Jerami appreciates being shown again how religion causes so much conflict through out the world. 
      I might not have noticed how prevelant it really is, had it not been for his asistance.

Ditto Jerami.  Mark's statement is worth sharing with the world.  It is the thoughts of many  in regard to the uselessness of modern day religious nonsense.  It is dangerous and divisive and an insult to the spirits of good people.  I am often at a loss as to why the 'religious' don't see how their actions alienate so many people and is in fact anti-spiritual.

Well said Mark.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually I was being fascias ...

Mark seems to express those behaviours that he says that he  hates so much.
          Ya gotta be careful when ya start fighting fire with fire.

Ya might get lost in all that smoke.

I see now where you were coming from - oops missed that.   But I still like what he wrote.  I for one don't have an adversary in Mark. smile

I sometimes agree with Mark  In this instance I was trying to show Mark that the same charastics that he hates about christians...  He tends to display on  himself.

Other than that I don't have a problem with Mark.  More on this later, gotta go to work now. Been a slow week and have to make hay when the sun is shinning.

Later

@   Jewels
                I do often agree with things that Mark says in his posts.  But I disagree with the constant pursuit that "ALL" people that profess to believe in a higher power have to endure.

And I also disagree with people having blind faith "IN A Bible"  Ya gotta read and understand it before ya can have faith in it.   
                 And if ya read all of it you should learn from it that it says not to.

Mark, you seem to become enraged when someone comes into "YOUR" forum and speaks of their God.  That is the thing that irritates me.  But I'm just nobody with a collection of marbles.
                 You have often said to different people that if they would not mention their God, you would not attack them.

You say that religion causes conflict so you cause conflict.
              You accuse them of cramming their beliefs down your throat..  SO .. you cram your beliefs down theirs.

Tit for Tat. Sure ? That's going to do the trick. That will bring about a better world.   Peace on earth and all that good will.

We do not want to become as bad or worse than the things that we hate.  It seems that I sometimes do.      I Just did earlier. 

And I hate it even more when that happens ..  And I’m sorry.
                Peace on earth ?  I just took a bite out of it.
                   Speaking of  ??
                Peace on Earth ??  Now that is a man made creation that only lives in the minds of the  a few.

Peace of mind ??
                Ya can't see it, touch it,  hold it or smell it.
                Science can't prove that there is such a thing,  therefore  according to science.
              it never was  ??????????   And never will be ???

If we are truly open minded there are no limits or boundaries.
                 And everyone it seems, has  different degrees of open mindedness.  And it doesn't matter who we are, there is always someone   less  or  more   open minded than us.

So you nor I want to pass any laws against close mindedness.  Someone with a more open mind than ours will come for us.

When the hating begins the communication ends. 

May we all find our own peace.

No - you do not. You have blind faith. There can be no other. I have read it and understood it. It is not something I would choose to put my faith in - just look at the fights it causes. wink

And just because I do not agree there is a Invisible Super Daddy - this does not mean I did not understand it.

The prophecies were stolen, the text and message is so garbled as to completely be the opposite of what it should say, and how any one can read the babble and still think there is a god is beyond me - oh yeah - blind faith. Whaddaya know?wink

OK - Never mention your god again, and I will never tell you how ridiculous your beliefs are. Deal?

I do not become enraged. That is funny. This is everyone's forum. Yes - it irritates a lot of believers. Bet it doesn't irritate you when people preach - does it?

No - I just tell them how ridiculous theirs are when THEY bring them up.

Ah - so I should shut up and let them preach - and it is all my fault for saying something when they do huh? I see how that works. lol

I do it intentionally to show you what you sound like. It was written in my magical book, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. wink

Dishonest argument to defend your ridiculous beliefs. Again.

Odd - I only ever hear this argument from people who want me to accept an invisible super being on faith. This is not being open minded - this is being delusional.

Love it that you are certain about your prophecies LOL and are certain that it is not worth doing anything to take care of the future becoz god sedd so. sad

How open minded is that?

Interesting side note - I can recommend reading a book called "Testament" by Jean Meslier - a French priest in the 17th century - very interesting. He has basically proves that the gospels bear no relation at all - none - to the originals.

Open minded is another term abused by religionists. I am open minded Jerami - I will absolutely change my tune about your invisible super being if He shows himself, but - for now - I have decided that you are full of it. This allows me to be open minded because I am not fettered with your beliefs that it was all written in a book and there is nothing you can do to change it.

I have seen my past lives, traveled without moving, have relationships with many famous people, speak to my spirit guide, listen to the earth, have the ability to sense other people before I can see them - all sorts - and all within the comfort of my own head. I do not - other than to demonstrate that I am not closed minded because I reject your notion of god - which comes from religion - feel the desperate urge to make you understand and accept that I can do these things - and you should too!

I agree. Please ask your brethren in Christ to stop telling me God hates stuff. Thanks.

I am at peace. Had a great bike ride yesterday - just going to the beach for coffee and will sit around relaxing most of the day today. big_smile

15. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

I think it must be a bad idea to respond to Religious Forum Posts. Since I've started there's a large ad under 'see more of Camlo's Hubtivity' that reads 'Receive Jesus As Your Saviour'.

lol lol lol
      I keep getting bibles for sale on my "The biblical god is a Psychopath hub!
      Pays well that hub!  smile

Ernest, maybe you could request a free bible or 10,000 so your soul can be saved, and on-sell.  One way of making profits online. smile

Cool idea Jewels! lol lol lol

1. the pink umbrella profile image73
            the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

do you all want to know whats really funny about this? If i were from a non christian religeon, and i posted a question about some rule in my religeon, the christians would be the first to attack it and say "well thats not true, because in matthew chapter blah blah blah...." And then they post questions asking why non christian people read and respond to their posts. This is just a question of there being more christian posts in the religeous forums than any ohter religeous posts. Someone try it and then tell me im wrong, christians.

16. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Mark Knowles  said
    No - you do not. You have blind faith. There can be no other. I have read it and understood it. It is not something I would choose to put my faith in - just look at the fights it causes.
    ================= 
    Jerami
       In your opinion I may have "misguided" Faith.  But to say that it is Blind? is in itself a blind faith statement of which you do not honestly know.
    ========================================================

Mark Knowles
    I do not become enraged. That is funny. This is every one's forum. Yes - it irritates a lot of believers. Bet it doesn't irritate you when people preach - does it?
    ======================
    jerami      What if I constantly entered the cooking forum, and insulted Chocolate, cake and cookie lovers, calling them stupid and accuse them of trying to make me fat and diabetic?
    And tell them that they are the reason for all the problems in society today and forever?
      As you say it is my forum too. I have that right.
    ============================================================

Mark Knowles  said .....OK - Never mention your god again, and I will never tell you how ridiculous your beliefs are. Deal?
    ============ 
      What if every time someone over there (cooking forum) talk about how good sweets are, I come stomping in, telling them to quit forcing their beliefs down  MY  throat. And I'd quit telling them how stupid they are ; Deal?

They would tell me;  If I don't want to be asked, "Do you want a taste?" to stay out of the kitchen.
    ==========================================================   

Mark Knowles     Ah - so I should shut up and let them preach - and it is all my fault for saying something when they do huh? I see how that works.
    =====
        Every time someone has a different opinion than ours  should we tell them how stupid theirs is ?? As loudly as possible??    But we are not the ones causing conflict .. huh
    We are not even adding to it, huh. ???
    ==========================================================

Mark Knowles said...    I do it intentionally to show you what you sound like. It was written in my magical book, and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

========
        And this is the way in which to make the world a better place? 
       And you do not see the error in your reasoning?
        That method has been in use since the beginning of mankind. It doesn't work. All that does is to add to the conflict that  "They" are causing.

1. Beelzedad profile image58

Jerami, not only have you provided a strawman argument, you have provided one in which you make the same comparisons as the effect a BB gun and a bulldozer would have on a brick wall. smile

17. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

As usual Jerami - you are making a nonsensical argument in a feeble attempt to defend your nonsensical belief system.

Cooks do not threaten you with eternal damnation if you don't eat them and there have not been 2,000 years of wars over whether or not dark chocolate or milk chocolate is the right one to use to get the best cookie.

I never said your faith was misguided - I said I would not choose to put my faith in it.

Your faith is blind. If you had genuinely studied the bible - you would know that what you read bears no relationship whatsoever to the few original gospels remaining.

Yet - here you are making nonsensical arguments comparing cooking to the spread of your irrational belief system.

This is a "religion and philosophy" section. Where else would I find a bunch of religionists all in one place that need to be educated?

Sorry dude - I am not going to stop speaking against your ridiculous belief system. And even if I did - no matter - you guys have more than enough fights amongst yourselves as to who has the best recipe. lol

But seriously - I have tried other ways  for many years.  I have not found the correct way to stop the fights cause by an irrational belief in an invisible super being. But - I am open to suggestions. 

Really - my Muslim friends c;aim their religion is right because it came after the Christian one. My Catholic friends think theirs is right because it came before every other Christian cult (they forget the ones they massacred). My Protestant friends think all Catholics are idolaters. And the born agains (no friends amongst them - cannot stomach the holier than thou-ness) are praying that the earth will be destroyed so the unbelievers get what is coming to them.

So - if you have a suggestion as to what would prevent the ones who feel the need to "share Jesus" from causing all these fights - please enlighten me. I have never found the words.

I do sympathise  with your plight. I really do. 
        And I do see "some" truth in your argument.

I think that part of the problem is that No one seems to truly define what religion is.
        Some think that to speak ill of religion is to blaspheme the highest power of the universe,

I'll attempt another metaphor.
        Religion is but an art gallery. Anyone that chooses to, can paint a picture of their perception of God.
      No two are alike. The atheists also brings their paintings and hangs them on a different wall.
        Every one begins to criticize each others painting.
        In their mind, when a critic disrespects their paintings, they perceive this as an attack upon the object of their perceptions.   And war breaks out.

It is not the object of this adoration that is at fault !!!
      It is our perceptions of that object that is flawed.

I suspect that this is not an answer, and hasn't helped anyone.  But this is kinda the way that I see it.

2. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You've never eaten in a French restaurant, have you Marcus. lol. We've damned people for leaving 2 drops of wine in a bottle. LMAO!

18. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Religion is deep rooted in the human beings; even in those who say they are Atheists Skeptics Agnostics.

For once we partly agree.
      The psychological process leading to religious belief is well understood. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)