jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Are suicides any less tragic than homicides?

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 17 months ago

Are suicides any less tragic than homicides?

If 66 percent of gun deaths each year are suicides, does that make the number of gun deaths in America any less tragic?

2. ahorseback profile image60
    ahorsebackposted 17 months ago

Awesome question !    It's simply amazing that the media ignores suicide , that social media ignores suicide ,  that the statistical  presenters ignore suicide.    What a hidden and ignored issue . Is it because we accept that suicide is a very  , very personal choice ?   Are we just accepting that the choice is theirs ?

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
      Kathleen Cochranposted 17 months agoin reply to this

The thing that amazes me is that so many suicides today are military and we hear so little about them.  People seem to dismiss suicides when they talk about gun deaths, but it is so easy to do.  It's America - you can easily get a gun.

3. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 17 months ago

No. Many people who have been touched by suicide personally are not immediately, if ever, able to speak publicly to strangers about it because of the pain. Unfortunately, suicide still has a stigma surrounding it. There are those who call those who commit suicide "crazy" or "cowards" when often these things aren't true. Homicide, killing others seems to be all the rage as far as the media goes in our overly media obsessed society.

4. RTalloni profile image89
    RTalloniposted 17 months ago

Less tragic? It's an absurd thought. 

Just as people who murder others will find a way to do their deed one way or another, so will a person intent on suicide find a way with or without a gun.

The tragedy is always the same.

5. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 17 months ago

Having someone else take your life or your loved one's life is always going to garner more sympathy than if (you) decided to take your own life. Suicide is a (personal decision) while being murdered isn't.
    People tend to have a mindset that if one contributed to their own demise they should receive less empathy.
    It's probably one of the reasons why deaths from drug addition and alcoholism aren't viewed in the same light as cancer.
    Self inflicted tragedy will never measure up to the feeling of tragedy when someone goes into a school and kills several children and teachers. It is noteworthy though to separate suicides from murders.

6. btrbell profile image92
    btrbellposted 17 months ago

I think suicide is incredibly tragic. It should most definitely be included and accounted for.

1. gregas profile image81
      gregasposted 17 months agoin reply to this

Suicide is tragic and one of the reasons is that in so many cases someone close should have realized something was wrong and in most of those cases the friend/relative is afraid to say anything.

2. Vista15 profile image61
      Vista15posted 17 months agoin reply to this

In response to Greg's comment, I have been disavowed by my son and his wife because I said their 14 year old daughter appeared suicidal on FB..   She is alive today, but now at 19 has 2 illegitimate babies.  Do I think she may still be suicidal?  Yes

7. Jodah profile image89
    Jodahposted 17 months ago

Suicide is perhaps more tragic than most homicides, because in many cases it could have been prevented if family and friends were more aware of the situation the person was in. In Australia suicide is one of the highest causes of death in young men. Ex military men suffering PTSD often commit suicide (more than are killed in war), and apart from this, one of the highest incidents is among construction workers. Another is among farmers. More awareness of suicide and the causes needs to be promoted.