jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

What would a matriarchy be like?

1. lovetherain profile image80
    lovetherainposted 6 weeks ago

Matriarchy

"a system of society or government ruled by a woman or women."

Wikipedia claims "Most anthropologists hold that there are no known anthropological societies that are unambiguously matriarchal"

Have there been real matriarchies that you know about?

Would a matriarchy be better than a patriarchy or one run by a mixture of men and women?

Would it be any different?

1. threekeys profile image81
      threekeysposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

I personally prefer a world ruled unitedly by  males and females where there is a elevated balance of when to initiate and when to negotiate/leave be.
      I have see the cult of masculinity in both males and females and to me it tends to draw out the worst within human nature.
      When change is happening extreme groups of that idealogy forms, then through experiencing what works or doesnt work, adjustments are  made, and these groups either fold or become refined until a middle of the road group forms from that chaotic idea that was initially put forward. Then we have a change take place that is agreeable to most people.

I am led to believe the Jewish culture is a matriachial society.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 weeks ago

If women ran the world, there would be few right angles. Houses would be tents of flowing colorful materials. Streets would meander with curves, and probably made of red bricks, with wild flowers and sage lining the pathways. I'm sure we would still be riding horses. So no, I don't think a matriarchal society would be so great. Men rule ... They are great … when they are. Especially when tempered by the women they love.

Most women are content in a subordinate position.  As long as they have respect and freedom. They influence men more than they know in this position.

In America, women can become what ever they so desire, but they need the help of men to get there.
    Women do not help women much. I don't think they network as well as men do.

1. Aime F profile image84
      Aime Fposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13945017.gif

3. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 6 weeks ago

I just want to live in a world where the people “in charge” are balanced and respectful both of what unites us and what makes us different. 

I think that men and women both have plenty to offer, each individual is capable of different things whether they’re male or female or both or neither. Ideally you have a mixture of all kinds of qualities, personalities, capabilities, etc. rather than one type of person (based on gender or wealth or whatever else) with complete control.

1. PrettyPanther profile image84
      PrettyPantherposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

I agree with this. Organizations with diverse boards fare better than those with homogeneous ones.

Yes Aime explained it clearly. Thanks Aime.

4. radhapriestess profile image66
    radhapriestessposted 6 weeks ago

A matriarchy is more than woman being in charge. It's a system which is collaborative in nature. It is based on the concept of a the circle where each member is equal to the other person. In a matriarchy each person gives their opinion and facts in solving the problem. Leadership often changes depending upon the issue at hand. Kerala in India was an ancient matriarchy. Women held the property and the lineage, yes, but they had a collaborative system where each member was consulted the extended family household. There was no homeless in this society. The elders were taken care of and the elders helped in raising the children. If a man did anything to abuse a woman, a man would show him the door of the household. Men in this society did not tolerate bad behavior by other men towards women. You could have a society where women were in charge but they were patriarchal in their style of leadership where they are the ones who decide and they do not consult people. That is not a true matriarchy. You could also have a society with male leadership which has a collaborative style and this would be matriarchal.

How lovely is that story.
      Yes I too  am in favour of collaborative leadership. I dont know why how the "command and control" leadership style has taken such pervasive roots in the working culture. I think though this command and control style of leadership is in the middle to blue collar working areas of life. I think that the foundation to the civil servant style of leadership is command and control even though its facade presents as collaborative and negotiatory. What do you think?

working