Partisan Outrage

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Valeant profile image81
    Valeantposted 6 years ago

Just wondering where all that conservative outrage is now when a President doesn't attend the funeral of a former first lady?

1. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

?? I guess the left just loves outrage. Everything should be outrageous?

2. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Trump is very petty and vindictive by nature. GHW Bush has let it be known that he was not particularly fond of Trump. Maybe, the President considered himself a "persona non-gratis" for the funeral and thought it best that he stay away.

3. GA Anderson profile image84
      GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Do you feel it is an outrage that Pres. Trump did not attend, Valeant? Was Melania's attendance not a suitable gesture for you?

Would you consider that there is no outrage from the Right because they may see it as a proper acquiescence?

GA

4. Sharlee01 profile image90
      Sharlee01posted 6 years agoin reply to this

President Trump put out a statement via the WH "To avoid disruptions due to added security, and out of respect for the Bush Family and friends attending the service, President Trump will not attend," the White House said in a statement."   It's not protocol  for a sitting president to attend  a past first lady's  funeral .Former president Barack Obama did not attend Nancy Reagan's funeral in 2016 or Betty Ford's in 2011, and Bill Clinton did not attend the funeral of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.  No out rage necessary...

2. Valeant profile image81

The left wasn't the one complaining when Obama chose not to attend Nancy Reagan's.  The left isn't dinging Trump for it either.  The left is pointing out the right's really quiet attitude when one of their own does the same stuff they lit torches and picked up pitchforks for.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't remember outrage at that time. Not saying it wasn't there, but it couldn't have been that massive since I have no recollection of hearing about it.

This tit for tat environment we've allowed to rise is hard to follow.

3. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 6 years ago

I would like to add that one thing I always respected about Obama was that he seemed to stay above the fray.  Very statesman like. Would that our political arena had more of that temperament.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

Unless on the extreme fringe right , you will never see expressed outrage on the right anywhere near the phony and contrived as in that of the left ,   
    In fact , the definition of outrage itself should be redefined as the blistering heatwave of sophomoric "intellectual " people like Rachel Maddow , Chuck Todd , .........girls of The View .

5. Valeant profile image81

Ahorseback, your comments literally define what it means to be on the extreme right fringe.  Everything you say is an attack on someone who is not a conservative.

1. peoplepower73 profile image82
      peoplepower73posted 6 years agoin reply to this

ahorseback:  Do you have a horse?  You sure act like you are part of a tribe called the NIMBY.  It stands for Not in MY BackYard.  Your tribe can do no wrong.  But the other tribe is evil and is the cause of your tribes ills.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Peoplepower,  you strike me as old democrat so you tell me , what happened to your party ?  Why let nineteen year old know nothings hijack your party   The right is still the same right and while you stand back and let your party disintegrate  think of where your future lay .  Or are you too in the zombie -lib  camp of entitlement seekers ?

2. profile image0

The democrats have let the relatively new and selfish alt left hijack any progress in compromise ,so  where did the old democrat go ? So yes ,  pretty much all the political hoopla is alt-leftism unbridled . All the obstruction  the bogus legal maneuvering , good luck actually getting any centrist or right compromise with your new political model of hate and destruct on traditional  2 party compromise.

6. Valeant profile image81

I was fine with it.  The Bush's don't really like Trump, and the circus he would have brought would have been a distraction.  I think it was a wise move.

But Obama took some heat on here from a certain hub wirter and from conservatives like Bill O'Reilly and Michelle Bachmann for not going to Nancy's.  Weird not to hear them apply the same standards since they are always promoting equal treatment for people of all political parties and ethnic backgrounds.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I remember the criticism Obama received from conservative outlets like Breitbart and Fox News, as well as Hubpages forum dwellers.

I'm glad Donnie didn't attend. He would have drawn attention to himself instead of honoring a great lady. Melania represented well.

2. GA Anderson profile image84
      GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

We are on there same page Valeant, I also think it was sensible that he didn't attend.

Regarding Pres. Obama not attending Nancy Reagan's funeral, I wouldn't call it an "outrage," but I would say the comparison certainly has different applications of logic. I don't think your "standards" and "equal treatment" pokes at the Right are applicable at all.

I would even say that your attribution of those points to the Right might be borderline disingenuous. Aren't those two of the clubs the Left likes to beat the Right with?

Isn't it the Right that is typically labeled the most racist or homophobic, or supportive of the "income inequality" issue - by the Left? Yet in this instance you think it is fair to use them as a criticism?

GA

7. peoplepower73 profile image82
    peoplepower73posted 6 years ago

ahorseback:  There is no such thing as alt-left, just like there is no such thing as the deep state. Hannity made that term up.  I don't know where or how you came up with alt left.  However there is an alt-right news outlet.  I think it is owned by Breitbart News, which is an ultra right outlet, that was owned by Steve Bannon and funded by Robert Mercer for 10 million.  Robert Mercer is a multi-gazillionaire who hates the Clinton's.

1. profile image0

And you sir , obviously don't politically know of what you speak .

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years ago

A funeral is a sociable event. He may not be in the mood to be sociable. Can you blame him?

9. Valeant profile image81

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/14011564_f1024.jpg

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/14011565.jpg

People had some pretty snarky comments in reaction to the photos taken at the Barbara Bush funeral...
    including this doozy that's sure to make Trump's blood boil -  Add, 'make Melania smile, to the list of things Obama is better at than Trump

1. profile image0

Or Michelle's blood boil ?   See this is the problem , the National Enquier-izing of politics by the public ,  Really .   'Outrage " is just like offended , everybody is offended by something or other ? Wonder whatever happened to real dialog .

10. Valeant profile image81

I can tell you one political party that hasn't shown offense to a president skipping the funeral of a former first lady, and one that has.  Oh, and funny you mention the National Enquirer since they are a Trump ally and feature stories to help his agenda.

1. profile image0

Can you spell P-H-O-N-Y offended  the same old leftist stand by for political dialog.

11. Valeant profile image81

Agreed, there shouldn't be or have been.  Yet, some on the right made it an issue for Obama.  There was a new standard for him and now all of a sudden silence.

12. Sharlee01 profile image90
    Sharlee01posted 6 years ago

IT's very true that some on the right did make it an issue. It just goes to show there are many not considering  facts on both sides.

13. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

Maybe it's time everyone of both parties just dropped the phony outrage game .

1. Sharlee01 profile image90
      Sharlee01posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well said...

1. profile image0

Sharlee  It's never going to happen though , when we consider the devolution of political maturity and petty campaign games so popular today , Do you think we can ever return from the campaigning "eve of destruction "?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)