Q. Is Kavanaugh guilty of being partisan?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (79 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

Does he favor and lean toward the the Right, or does he truly follow the precepts of the Constitution of the United States.

Some would say the Right ARE the upholders of the Constitution!

(And the Left are the destroyers of the Constitution.)

1. The0NatureBoy profile image58
      The0NatureBoyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The constitution require all Public Trustees [Art. 6.3] to taken oath, Kavaqnaugh took one at the hearing but http://theweek.com/speedreads/798177/ka … n-fox-news suggests he lied. He can't possibly be a follower of the constitution, he is a follower of his lust to be considered important only.

2. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If he leans to the right, and he does, or the Democratic Senators wouldn't be trying to destroy him, that benefits a strict interpretation of the Constitution.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image80

PS. I think the Democrats will be successful in preventing his nomination.

His testimony Thursday should prevent him and not any Unconstitutional political party but the fact he lied under oath should prevent him.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image80

From Wikipedia:

July 25, 2003: "President George W. Bush nominated Kavanaugh to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit to a vacancy created by Judge Laurence Silberman.

Kavanaugh's nomination was stalled in the Senate for nearly three years.

Democratic Senators accused him of being too partisan, with Senator Dick Durbin calling him the "Forrest Gump of Republican politics".

(In 2003, the American Bar Association rated Kavanaugh as "well qualified", but, after opposition from Senate Democrats, rated him in 2006 as only "qualified". His nomination was opposed by People for the American Way.)

May 11, 2006: The United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary recommended confirmation on a 10–8 party-line vote.

May 26, 2006: Confirmed to the court by the United States Senate by a vote of 57–36.

June 1, 2006: Sworn in by Justice Anthony Kennedy, for whom he had previously clerked, during a special Rose Garden ceremony at the White House. Kavanaugh was the fourth judge nominated to the D.C. Circuit by Bush and confirmed by the United States Senate. Kavanaugh was sworn in by Justice Anthony Kennedy while President George W. Bush and Kavanaugh's wife, Ashley Estes-Kavanaugh, looked on.

September 11, 2006  Began hearing cases.

September 27 2006  Had his formal investiture at the Prettyman Courthouse.

November 17, 2006. Released his first published opinion. 

July 2007: Democratic Senators Patrick Leahy and Dick Durbin accused Kavanaugh of "misleading" the Senate Judiciary Committee during his nomination. Durbin and Leahy accused Kavanaugh of lying to them in his confirmation hearing when he denied being involved in formulating the Bush administration's detention and interrogation policies in the aftermath of the September 11 terrorist attacks. (In 2002, Kavanaugh had met with other White House lawyers, and talked about whether or not the Supreme Court would approve of denying lawyers to prisoners detained as enemy combatants. Kavanaugh had previously been a law clerk for Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, and predicted in that meeting that Kennedy would not approve of denying legal counsel to those prisoners.) Durbin said, "It appears that you misled me, the Senate Judiciary Committee and the nation."

July 2018: Kavanaugh is under consideration for a nomination to the Supreme Court, which Kavanaugh received.

Notable cases
    Kavanaugh had written an opinion and the case had been considered by the Supreme Court. The court adopted his position thirteen times while reversing his position only once.

These included cases involved environmental regulations, criminal procedure, the separation of powers and extraterritorial jurisdiction in human rights abuse cases. He has been regarded as a feeder judge."
    ETC

Feeder judge:
    https://empiricalscotus.com/2016/08/10/formula/

Bush was a liar so he nominated somehow he knew, if he needed one, would ignore the lawyer him.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image80

why do you think Kavanaugh is a liar?

I know of few people in politics who aren't, why should Kavanaugh be any different, is the question that you should ask.

2. crankalicious profile image94
      crankaliciousposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Because he described a "devil's triangle" as a drinking game.

He's a liar. He knows that statement is patently false.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image80

I've heard in the future more of us will have heightened powers of intuition.
    ... wouldn't that skill (ESP) be great for lawyers and judges to have?

As it is, we can only hope people have consciences and abide by them.

For those who can live with themselves after they have blatantly lied, especially in court of law, under oath ...

heaven help all of us.

1. MizBejabbers profile image90
      MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that a great skill for all of us to develop, then ESP will tell us whether our politicians are lying. Or perhaps I should say "in what manner our politicians are lying." If everybody knew when everybody else was being dishonest, what a great purveyor of truth that would be.

Your next to the last statement reminds me of what my best friend said after serving jury duty in criminal court. This good Baptist woman expressed disbelief and shock that a defendant would lie under oath. "I can't believe they looked straight at us (the jury) and lied under oath," she said. Our lawyer co-worker, a good Catholic, just laughed and said that he was surprised that she didn't know that.

2. The0NatureBoy profile image58

For certain it would eliminate the liars from any position requiring honesty.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image80

Apparently, he is guilty of more than just being partisan.

He is guilty of being a drinker.

He is guilty of being too emotional, immature.

and guilty of agreeing to give a sitting president too much power.

and as Nature boy has accused:

Guilty of living for his own lust.

Guilty of being a liar.

That's a good synopsis. That about sizes it up. I liked him at first, but as more and more things came out at the hearing, somewhere in the proceedings, I got turned off. He definitely did not handle the opposition very well.

1. wilderness profile image98
        wildernessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

What came out at the hearing?  The only thing I heard were questions that all asked him WHY he wouldn't support Democratic political games designed to prevent his confirmation.  Oh, and that he drank beer, but never to the point of passing out as so many do.

What "came out" at the hearing?

Apparently you didn't watch the proceedings. I don't have the inclination to do a synopsis except to say that his little temper tantrum reminded me of Trump. But Kathryn did a pretty good summation. Privileged white males, all.

Actually I watched it from beginning to end.  Saw exactly what you did, including ripping apart Democrats playing games with his life, Fords, and their job on the committee.  You're right - just like Trump he wasn't gentle and he wasn't PC.  He told it like it was, without pulling punches and I like that.

Dislike and hatred of anyone with more money says a lot, doesn't it?  If there is a worse excuse for deciding guilt in an attempted rape case without evidence I have yet to hear it.  "He's guilty because I don't like him and label him a 'privileged white male' without ever meeting him" just doesn't make it for me.  Name calling never does - got anything else?

It doesn't matter what anyone else believes, you mind is made up, and so is mine. BTW, did you see Senator Tom Cotton today on Face the Nation. Senator Amy Klobuchar said lawyers say (paraphrasing) If you can't argue logic, argue the facts. If you don't have the facts, argue logic. If you don't have either, pound the table. He is a prime example of pounding the table.

1. profile image0
                PrettyPantherposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If Professor Ford had behaved that way, those Senators would be all over the airwaves calling her a hysterical, unhinged liar..

1. profile image0

Professor Ford wasn't being persecuted.....or even questioned with any zeal.  She certainly took chances stepping forward, but she wasn't the subject.  And the subject was being hammered in front of tens of millions of people by Democratic Senators who took no pains to even try to disguise their partisanship.  They took glee in watching Kavanaugh squirm while they exposed the tiniest details of his life.  If they'd treated Ford like they treated Kavanaugh, she would've broken down.  In any case, Kavanaugh was at least accurate regards the residual anger over Trump's election, and he called them out on it.

Ford was questioned, with "zeal", I thought, by Republicans.  Democrats made speeches instead of searching for the truth of her allegations.

Kavanaugh was questioned with "zeal" by no one.  Republicans asked questions designed to show innocence (or at least doubt) and made speeches.  Democrats asked only one question (albeit many times): why would he not assist them in destroying his life and delaying or denying his confirmation.  An exceedingly stupid question and nothing designed to elicit truth of the allegation at all; just an attempt to make him squirm, as you said.  Somehow the attempt (and his refusal) to aid them in their dirty political games was supposed to show guilt, I suppose, but all it showed was that they were not interested in truth, just in delaying tactics.

2. profile image0
                    PrettyPantherposted 2 years agoin reply to this

He lied under oath. That should be automatic disqualification.

Do you think he believes s The Devil's Triangle is a drinking game? And boofing is farting? Riiiight.

2. wilderness profile image98

You're right - my mind is made up that I liked his opening speech.  The difference is that mine is NOT made up as to guilt in an alleged rape accusation, while yours is.

Producing a detailed time accounting of movements and activities in the period of the alleged rape is "pounding the table"?  Sorry, that's called "facts".  On the other hand asking "Why don't you join Democrats in playing their political games while harming you and your family" is pounding the table.

So where do you fall?  Logic (he must have done it because he's a Trump nominee or because he is angry at political games harming his daughter), facts (a single person made an accusation that is unsupported by any of the witnesses present so he is guilty) or just pounding the table?

2. profile image0

MizBejabbers, I suspect his temper tantrums were in regard to being persecuted for daring to accept the nomination.  Any of us, ANY, would have gone completely off the rails many days ago, long before the day of Ford's testimony.  Kavanaugh didn't go off the rails.  Did he get testy?  Yes.  MIght I add of course?

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image80

It is true that Trump wants more presidential power.
    Maybe this is why he approves of Kavanaugh.
    Good gosh ... I still need some ice cream.

1. profile image0
      Ed Fisherposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Kathryn , You really need some of Ben And Jerry's ice cream  , could I suggest  'Cherry Garcia" * ? 

Never tried it ? You better , yet it could take several tastings you know , like a fine french wine !

I've tried Cherry Garcia, and I can testify that it is delicious from the first bite. Like a fine French wine, it's a little rich for my pocketbook, so it is a rare treat for me. I highly recommend it to Kathryn. But if one prefers quantity over quality, Blue Bell's Milk Chocolate is economical and satisfies the lust for both ice cream and chocolate.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
          Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That sounds old-fashioned: Blue Bell's Milk Chocolate! Never heard of it.
          I'll try to find it. smile

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
        Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yumm. ... I will go get some right this minute. I've always wondered.

Tech-trivia Regarding the Internet and the Grateful Dead/Deadheads:

"Beyond purchasing archival albums and recordings of concerts that ended just hours before (though ticket-holders often get a free download these days), Deadheads were almost unquestionably the first fanbase to rush to their computer screens to analyze the event after it was over. These days they’re right there on Facebook and Twitter and Snapchat of course, but before that they were using mailing lists, back channel chats, and The WELL, the Whole Earth BBS spin-off which is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. Obsessively networked fans from flash-mobbing Beliebers to PBR-chugging Juggalos are now so common as to be passé, and they’re all just following a path blazed by the Dead and the 'heads. When the band seemed under-rehearsed at their Santa Clara unveiling, online chatter exploded. Along with the performing musicians and the good-vibed dancers in the crowd, both the residual onstage confusion and the endless online analysis mark these shows as the authentic Grateful Dead experience."

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/grateful- … -pioneers/

8. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

Negate.

9. Live to Learn profile image78
    Live to Learnposted 2 years ago

I don't think constitutional interpretation can be fairly relegated to left or right. It's a delicate balance, following the intent of the framers and the evolution of the society it guides.

I would venture to guess,after this dog and pony show, Kavanaugh will certainly bear ill will toward the left. I would. Smearing my good name would leave a foul taste. Forever. I've not seen back stabbing grand standing such as this since I left a corporate office job in disgust.

Hopefully Kavanaugh will apply his ill will (and you're right - it will be there) to the individuals doing the deed and not to the underlying philosophy of the entire liberal community.  I'd hate to see him leave his judgement behind and vote hate rather than law.  The country doesn't need more partisanship regardless of how badly they've been treated.

After watching his opening remarks and the way he tore into the Democratic members for their malfeasance without regard to being PC or statesmanlike I think we need to boot Trump out of office and replace him with Kavanaugh.  We NEED people like that; people to whom being PC and tiptoeing around while never actually saying what is meant doesn't mean as much as leaving no doubt behind as to the actual stance being taken.

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image80

Kavanaugh is guilty of having been a teenager.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)