CNN Accurately Explains President Trump's Support.

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 4 years ago

I could not believe what I read from CNN.  It is pretty spot-on when it comes to explaining why people support President Donald Trump. 

“Progressives wonder how in the world could anyone still support President Donald Trump. So here are ten reasons why more than 40% of the electorate probably does -- and will. “

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/19/opinions … index.html

1. crankalicious profile image87
      crankaliciousposted 4 years agoin reply to this

One simply cannot argue against the economy, which is generally the most important thing to most people. It's the same reason President Obama was re-elected. The economy was strong and people voted for the economy remaining strong. Pretty simple.

Although it is hard to get most liberals to give Trump any credit for doing anything, I am not one of those. Among his accomplishments was the changes to the tax code that raised the standard deduction.

Also, liberals have completely reversed course on diplomacy. We argued for years that we should engage North Korea and China and Russia, rather than ramping up our militaristic rhetoric. Trump does both, but liberals should not be attacking him for engaging Kim and others. Beats going to war.

Finally, he needs major kudos for his approach to China. No politician has done anything about China, but Trump clearly sees what a threat they are economically. Do nothing and they will overtake us (they may do so anyway). Letting them get away with economic murder is stupid.

Readmikenowposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very well stated.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

And here is the reply to such reasoned deductions:  https://hubpages.com/politics/forum/344 … ost4083530

"I don't care what he has accomplished, I don't like him and the <long sequence of name calling> isn't fit to be dogcatcher."

(I have to wonder, and recognize, the inherent racism is declaring that all brown people are lawbreakers.)

Not really surprised...are you?  I like how supporters of Hillary Clinton state character matters.  Puh...leeze.

But I agree with you.

The piece from CNN IS a reasoned and thoughtful article I believe to be pretty accurate. I don't care who will vote for President Donald Trump.  I think this gives a good description of the reasons people do support him.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
              GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Mike, the piece was an opinion piece, so I am not sure how much credit we can give CNN for posting it. But anyway . . .

Do you agree with point #10, about Pres. Trump being such a " masterful impromptu speaker"?

GA

Mike, the piece was an opinion piece, so I am not sure how much credit we can give CNN for posting it. But anyway . . .

Do you agree with point #10, about Pres. Trump being such a " masterful impromptu speaker"?

I will give you a clue; I was floored that the author would make such a statement. His first nine points may, or may not, be debatable, but I can't see any room for a debate against his tenth point.

Unless, and sadly I must admit this, "masterful" means knowing which buttons to push. I have to say Mike, I can only see masterful as a fair description if speaking the language of the mob is the judging criteria.

GA

1. Ken Burgess profile image76
                  Ken Burgessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

As it should be.

Trump will never win over the "elites" or the "ruling class", despite being a billionaire, despite being President, he is very much an outsider, and he is very much deplored by them.

Nor will Trump be able to win over the 47%, to quote Romney:
                  ""All right, there are 47 percent who are with [the Democrats], who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for [Democrats] no matter what."

So Trump has to rely on the one block of voters that doesn't fit into those two categories, the working class... the people the Democrats have abandoned, the taxpayers that have to pay for all the Democrats' generosity, that got stiffed by the ACA and the terrible trade agreements that allow jobs to flee the nation like NAFTA and TPP.

So yes, he may not be as articulate and well mannered as you would hope a President to be, but he gets his message to the people he is wanting to get it to... the ones that will put him back in office in 2020.

2. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

LOL  Trump has to be the worst speaker in the history of the Presidency.  He's better than he was, but..."masterful"?  No.

Whew! Glad to see I am not alone in that opinion

There is no way I would describe him as a good speaker, much less as "masterful." That has nothing to do with any other Trump criticism, it just seems like reality to me.

GA

Usually vocabulary is directly related to intelligence.

3. Readmikenow profile image95

I don't agree that he is a "masterful impromptu speaker" in the sense that when he speaks off the cuff, he is not exactly articulate.

I believe that is the point.  Most of us when we have regular conversations are not articulate or specific at all.  We talk based on what we think and feel in the moment.  In that regard, President Trump speaks like the average person holding a conversation.  It has been a proven effective way for politicians to have voters relate to them.  This as been done by many presidents.  So, his goal is to relate to the masses rather than speak in a way that makes it seem he is above them.  The bottom line is...it's effective.

It seems we agree that masterful isn't the first thought that comes to mind.

I agree that the author makes some good points relative to his subject, but some of his other points seem to fit my view of that application of "masterful in #10.

GA

2. Ken Burgess profile image76

Spot on Mike,

He's knows who his target audience is, and he knows how they think.

They put him in office to 'stick it to them', Trump is the people's big F_U to Congress, to the elites, to the establishment and business as usual in D.C.

And to 99% of the people who voted for him, he is more than they hoped for, and to those who sat on the sidelines in 2016 (and who aren't easily programmed by the idiot-box) when they look at their wallets in 2020 that will be the deciding factor for most of them.

2. Ken Burgess profile image76

By far the best comment of yours that I have read.

I have written more than one article on China, and was writing them years before Trump came on the scene.

Trump is actually 5 to 10 years to late, the foundation China has now is unshakeable, their economy has grown past the point of requiring America's tariff free policy. China has developed its technological capabilities to the point where they have surpassed America in both technological advancements and production capability.

China has arguably become the world's favored nation to trade with, it is only that America's dollar is the world reserve and its military presence (the threat of America's might) and its nation toppling trends (Iraq, Libya, etc.) ... however the Chinese have plans for that as well, and plan on building their military up so that by 2030 they are at least the equal to America, and superior to America in satellite, wireless, AI, etc. the next war will be economic and on the internet, and China's ability to shut down America's power-grid, internet, satellites, etc. is soon to be a reality.

I had a professor more than 20 years ago now (at least) when everyone was still focused on Russia and other bad actors. She repeated over and over again, none of those were important, it was going to be China that was the problem. Very prescient.

That said, while we may blame politicians for the mess with China and applaud President Trump for finally dealing with it to some extent (though, as you say, too late), we must all take responsibility.

One of the main reasons for China's rise is our greed. We like those cheap goods. Consumers want cheap televisions. No politician is going to try to stop that. So we can all look in the mirror for somebody to blame.

2. Sharlee01 profile image84
      Sharlee01posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have always enjoyed  Victor Davis Hanson views. He just touches on common sense on issues he chooses to write about. I consider him a non-extremist, he tells it as he sees it.  This article did not disappoint.  I can see where some might find # 10 hard to swallow. However, Trump does have an innate talent for connecting to common sense people from all walks of life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)