I Am Reminded of Margaret Thatchers Death.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (57 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image88
    GA Andersonposted 4 years ago

I tried, but don't know how to search HP forum archives. I was looking for a thread from the time of Margaret Thatcher's death.

The general postings were; "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead.' (that was an actual quote from at least one post that received multiple affirmations)

I was floored. Posters that I had interreacted with on a semi-reasonable basis on a variety of subjects were suddenly jubilantly proclaiming their joy over her death.

Now, as we face a national crisis, I am seeing a similar mentality in these anti-Trump coronavirus threads. It may make you feel good folks, but it certainly isn't shining a favorable light on your perspectives.

Take my comments as you may, but I am just glad that I ain't you.

GA

1. Eastward profile image79
      Eastwardposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I've been seeing a lot of pretty nasty comments as well, GA. I think in tough times we can use a reminder to keep our cool. #RIPDonaldTrump and #RIPJoeBiden have been trending on Twitter (the former for coronavirus and the latter for lack of presence during the crisis). Most are in jest and shouldn't be taken seriously, but some are intended with malice.

That being said, I think it's also a reminder that while most people brush off the attitudes and lifestyles of politicians that sell us out at every opportunity to enrich themselves and their small circle of co-conspirators on a day-to-day basis, that the resentment remains. If the people continue to be ignored, it won't take much to boil over into mob mentality.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thatcher may well be the greatest female political leader in all of history. She was certainly not a "feminist" by today's "feminist" standards.

You can be a great leader, or a modern feminist. You can not be both.

And look what has become of the United Kingdom after her death. London isn't even an English city any longer, and it may never ever be an English city again.

Did you happen to see what the horrific "progressives" were doing after Judge Scalia's death?

Scalia's  death was when it really started to hit me. "Progressivism" was a disease, and the people who called themselves "progressives" were the mortal enemies of civilization.

GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, The Judge Scalia comments were pretty negative, but even so, they weren't, in my opinion, the same level of vitriol as the Thatcher comments.

However, the point is the same, even if the levels are different.

GA

2. Nathanville profile image93
        Nathanvilleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Britain losing its way in the world in recent years has nothing to do with Thatcher’s death; and London is very much culturally and socially English.

Yep, many Brits celebrated Thatcher’s death; and for very good reasons.  And the Brits hate Trump more than they hated Thatcher; which is saying something about what Brits think and feel about Trump.

Especially now, at a time when we should all be putting our differences aside to fight the common enemy (COVID-19), Trump being deliberately disrespectful to China by insisting on calling the virus the Chinese Virus is inflaming the hatred of Trump by Brits even more.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
          Wesman Todd Shawposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Nobody in the United States gives a flying cup of Earl Grey what the Brits think about Donald Trump.

Donald Trump is putting America and Americans first, and that is exactly what every POTUS is supposed to do. Strangely enough, Trump is the only one of my adulthood to even make an effort at the job.

The virus is Chinese. It came from China. The Chinese government lied, and lots of people died. Typical communist ineptitude.

It's a Chinese Virus. CHINESE VIRUS. That's what it is.

You know why we love Donald Trump? Because political correctness is an intellectual cancer, and Trump does not have it.

The United Kingdom used to be the greatest of all empires, and now it is nothing more than an Islamic colony, its great city is Londonistan.

The emasculated men in the U.K. are banning sharp objects. The citizens have been fundamentally castrated. I bet they sing in very high pitch voices in the men's choir.

Do you know why this upsets me so much? It is because almost all of my genetic heritage is from the United Kingdom and Ireland.

And now look at you people. You've let yourselves become conquered by a lesser culture and fear of being called "racists."

I'm disgusted with the United Kingdom.

2. Credence2 profile image78
          Credence2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Nathanville,

Well I do live here, and I say that Trump has been more trouble than he has been worth for many of us. There are many of us that find rightwingers revolting and uncouth, much like little lemmings following Trump everywhere without question.

What is being implied by one of the commenters is a adherence to a form of bigotry very much in vogue here and at the root of why there is so much animosity here and it's likely to continue.

I don't like those that intimidate anyone from having free expression on these forums as I expect no less for myself.

In spite of all that, I don't know why Ms Thatcher disturbed so many of your countrymen that her death was celebrated? She and Reagan were buds and we saw her as "gutsy" from this side of the pond? I would not gloat at the death of Trump for as long as so many rightwingers like him persist, the problem  Trump currently creats just will continue in another form.

1. Live to Learn profile image61
            Live to Learnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Bigotry to identify the geographic source of the virus?

Interesting. What is your opinion of the government of China spreading propaganda that U.S. soldiers brought it to China? Is that racist or acceptable?

People who see racism everywhere they look are usually the biggest racists.

1. Credence2 profile image78

But, really, L to L did you bother to look at the other comments from the earlier poster? Are you really on board with all of that? What do you say about that? Do you agree with it?

China is not innocent regarding distorting the information about the spread of the virus and I never implied that they were. I expect more from a "democratic republic" than I would from a closed authoritarian society. So, I hold America and Western Democracies to a higher standard.

So, I say that people that deny the existence of bias and prejudice as part and parcel of reasoning as part of this virus and many other things usually have their have their heads in the sand. But, it is a convenient place to be if you really don't want to do anything about it?

Credence I would never assume some among us are not ignoramuses. I simply think the left arrogantly assumes anyone who doesn't toe their racist agenda are.

My husband cuts meat. He was checking the case and overheard 2 African American gentlemen discussing their opinion that the whites created the corona virus to kill those in their ethnic group. I'm not ignorant enough to believe all, or a majority of, people of that ethnic group are racist enough to believe such garbage.

I have faith that the vast majority of people are at least intelligent enough to separate a government and a geographic location from individual human beings. That is the difference between you and I. You seek to condemn by frantically assuming the worst, I don't.

L to L, you would have a lot more credibility if you "called out" the ignoramuses "among us" from time to time, instead of always defining the left as the source of unreasonableness.

I expect more from our President and, for example, Senator Cornyn of Texas, who said that Chinese eating habits were responsible for the virus than I would from a couple of men speaking on the street. One set is in control of national policy, the other set is not. And no, none of US dispute the actual source of the virus, thus the chatter of these men are to be ignored.

I guess if the Chinese all ate beef, pork and chicken like we do, none of this would have happened. That was not hard to infer from Cornyn's comments.

As for you last paragraph, I am not so sure. Too often, I have seen "the worse". But, you can be sure that I won't sugarcoat the obvious, either.

P.S. There was an article I saw yesterday about certain White Supremacist groups that were seeking to "weaponize" the virus to infect non-white people. Perhaps, that is where these men gathered this information and subsequently their opinion.

Chinese eating habits. You do understand such a comment has to do with the exotic animal meat market than, say, chop sticks?

Swine flu is from swine. Bird flu is from birds. Yes, the taste for eating exotic animals appears to be responsible for this virus we are faced with.

Any way, as to your request that I call out others I can't be responsible to read and respond to every post on this site and you cannot hide behind a complaint about your opinion of others when you put your fingers on the keyboard. That is not justification for racist nonsense.

3. Nathanville profile image93

Thanks Credence2:  A very civilised replay as usual.

Margaret Thatcher was a tough leader (the Iron Lady), and a great wartime leader (the Falkland’s War).  But as a peacetime leader, she had little passion and her policies put millions of Brits out of work and pushed millions into poverty.

The specific policies that she was disliked for (and in many cases hated) by Brits include:-

1.    She closed down the coal mining industry.

2.    She ‘Privatised’ all the Nationalised Industries.

3.    She tried to re-introduce the Poll Tax.

4.    Her policies devastated the Manufacturing Base Economy.

Covering each point in turn:-

1.    Thatcher closed the coal mines to destroy what was then the strongest Trade Union in Britain.  Consequently Britain is now sitting on an estimated 200 years’ worth of untapped coal reserves.  On the positive side electricity from coal in Britain has dropped from 69.6% in 1988 to about 1% today; with our last remaining coal burning power station due to close in 2025.

Over 30 years later, Thatcher closing down the coal mines back in the 1980’s, has made it a lot easier for Britain to turn its back on fossil fuels, as it switches to Renewable Energy in its goal to fight Climate Change.

2.    Privatising Nationalised Industries was very unpopular, especially the railways.  In privatising the railways she created two Industries; one Company to maintain and operate the railway tracks and train stations; and private Companies bidding for franchises to operate the trains themselves. 

In 2002 when Railtrack, which was the Private Company setup to maintain and run the railway tracks and train stations, went into Liquidation, the Labour Government took over management of Railtrack.  In 2014, in recognising that Railtrack needs to be under government control, the Conservative Government formally re-Nationalised Railtrack as Network Rail.

Opinion polls in recent years consistently show that over two-thirds of the British Public also wants the Train Operators to be re-Nationalised.

3.    Margaret Thatcher’s failed attempt at re-introducing the Poll Tax led to her downfall, and subsequent resignation as Prime Minister. 

King Richard II introduction of the Poll Tax in 1381 led to the ‘Peasants' Revolt’, which subsequently led to the Poll Tax being abolished.

Margaret Thatcher re-introduced the Poll Tax in 1990, which led to countrywide riots and civil disobedience, and Thatcher’s resignation two years later.  After Thatcher’s resignation John Major became the Conservative Prime Minister, and his first action as Prime Minister was to abolish the Poll Tax.

Poll Tax Riot & The End of Thatcher 1990: https://youtu.be/4uEgVlC5MPQ

4.    The combination of all of Thatcher’s policies devastated the Manufacturing Base in Britain, throwing millions out of work; and from the ashes (after her Premiership), we became a ‘Service Based Economy’ e.g. Tourism, Leisure Industry, Banking and Insurance etc.

Arthur,

1. Your first point may have been a good thing as it reduced Britain's consumption of fossil fuels, particularly one as "dirty" as coal.

2. Why did privatization of the railways fail in Britain? You talk about nationalizing things here it would be akin to touching God's eyeball.

3. Was the poll tax an attempt to increase government revenue? Here that practice was banned with the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The Poll Tax was used to discourage and intimidate certain groups from participating in the franchise. In this country, the right to vote is not for sale. Was it unpopular in Britain for similar reasons? I saw the video you provided and it appeared that was a major issue. Poll taxes are regressive and hurt the poor to a greater extent. I am glad that it was abolished there as well.

4. As for destruction of the manufacturing base, we have experienced much the same caused by technological innovation and outsourcing of production to lower wage societies. I really don't how much of all of this would not have inevitable in the modern world under a capitalist based model.

1. Nathanville profile image93

Hi Credence2. 

1.    Yep, in retrospect (30 years later) Margaret Thatcher closing the coalmines has turned out to be a good thing; because it has made it a lot easier for Britain to reduce its consumption of fossil fuels (dirty coal) and switch to clean Renewable Energies. 

But of course, at the time Climate Change wasn’t a topic, and closing the coalmines not only made tens of thousands of coalminers unemployed, but it also devastated the supply chains (knock on effect) putting millions of other workers out of work.  Plus the subsequent economic cost to the country of having to import coal instead, until alternative energy productions were developed, which took time.

2.    It’s a good question.  There are two parts to the rail industry in Britain; the railway tracks themselves and the train stations being one operation, and running the train services on the railway tracks being a separate operation. 

The train operations themselves have been largely successful as a private business enterprise; but expensive for the customer (travellers) because the train operators raise prices to make a profit for their shareholders.  Hence, why most Brits want the service Nationalised again so that rail travel can become cheap again, as it was when it was a Nationalised Industry.

The main reason that running the rail tracks and train stations failed as a private enterprise was that the Private Company was more interested in making a profit for its shareholders than in maintaining and upgrading the railway lines.  So when it was forced to re-invest in the railway lines by the Government (as it was supposed to have done in the first place) it couldn’t afford to maintain the railway lines and satisfy its shareholder both at the same time; so it went out of business.

Now the railway lines have been re-nationalised any money it makes is all re-invested in the railway system, as there are no shareholders to cream off the profits.

The exception to all this is London Transport, which has always remained Nationalised.  Transport for London being a Government Body that runs the railways, underground, busses, and gives franchise to London Taxi’s and ferries; as a co-ordinated integrated transport system within London.

3.    No the poll tax was not an attempt to increase government revenue; and neither is it connected to voting in any way.

The poll tax was intended as a tax for ‘Local Governments’.  Prior to the poll tax Local Governments got their tax revenue from a system known as ‘The Rates’.  Rates stand for ‘Rateable value’.  The Rates is where local residents and businesses pay their Local Government taxes based on the value of their property e.g. a wealthy person living in an expensive 5 bedroom detached house in an exclusive part of the city or town will pay a lot more in ‘Rates’ than a low paid worker living in a 2 bedroom terraced house in the less wealthy side of the city or town.

Generally speaking the annual ‘Rates’ bill (local tax) works out to be less than 2% of the value of the property you live in, regardless to how many people live in the house.

The Poll Tax is a flat rate tax where every person regardless to their income (even if they are unemployed) pays the same as everyone else.  Consequently, with the poll tax, the ordinary person found they were paying more than double what they had been before, while the local tax for the wealthy was significantly less.  Therefore, when the poll tax was introduced, not only did we have countrywide demonstrations and riots, but up to 30% of the British Public refused to pay their poll tax, which tied the courts up for two years as Local Governments tried to get people to pay through court action. 

Once the poll tax was abolished two years later, we went back to the old Rates system, which is still the system we use to this day for Local Taxes; and the Government had to write uncollected poll tax off as a bad debt e.g. I used some of the poll tax that I didn’t pay to pay for our living room back window to be converted into French doors.

4.    Yep, I was recently reading on how America transformed from a manufacturing based economy to a service industry economy at about the same time; so if Thatcher hadn’t have been so ruthless about it, I am sure we would have naturally progressed that way anyway. 

It was just that Margaret Thatcher’s approach wasn’t ‘evolutionary’ it was ‘revolutionary’ e.g. a lot more brutal.

4. Nathanville profile image93

Wesman:  Diplomacy isn’t your strong point; and neither is its Trumps.

Yes the local Chinese Government in Hubei province did try a cover-up, and that is unforgivable.  But as soon as the National Chinese Government in Beijing got wind of it they swept the local government aside and took charge; immediately informing the WHO of the situation and genetically profiling the DNA of the virus which they copied to the whole world, including Labs in Britain, so that the world could make a joint effort in finding a vaccine.

It’s not the Chinese fault that the virus started there; and the biggest enemy isn’t China, but Russia (KGB) who have taken the opportunity of the situation for their campaign to spread disinformation in an effort to weaken the Western World.

I agree that the UK used to be the greatest of all Empires, and now it is just an isolated island; but it’s not an Islamic colony.  FYI only 4.4% of the UK is Muslim (5.02% in London); and with the help of the MCB (Muslim Council of Britain) founded in 1997, in partnership with British Governments, the Muslim Community in Britain has been very successful at assimilating into British life and embracing Western Culture.

It’s quite right that knives are banned in Britain just as much as guns are; we don’t want American violence over here.  At least when our criminals in Britain try to rob a jewellery store they can’t cause carnage. 

Granny Attacks Six Thieves with Handbag in London: https://youtu.be/ySBxMMidbEg

Also, don’t take my word for it that Britain isn’t as you imagine; listen to one of your fellow American citizens (video below) who has chosen to live in London:-

The Pros and Cons of Living in London (by an American): https://youtu.be/fQj2y6g66No

5. GA Anderson profile image88

I can't think of any good reason to celebrate someone's death Nathanville. Especially not when the reasons are political disagreement.

GA

1. Nathanville profile image93

Normally I would agree with you GA, but Hitler’s death was a celebration; and for millions of Brits who had their lives wrecked by Thatcher, such as the coalmining communities, (rightly or wrongly) when it comes to emotional feelings, many of them do put Margaret Thatcher in the same general grouping as Hitler e.g. a Leader to be despised.  Just as when the Brits beheaded King Charles I, and the French beheaded Marie Antoinette, there was a lot of celebration following their deaths.

Personally, I didn’t actually celebrate her death, but neither did I feel any sadness because I was witness to the suffering she caused.  Although if, at the time, a friend had asked me out for a drink to celebrate her death I would have done so, because I hated her for all the suffering she caused; and the fact that she never showed any remorse.

Miners' strike - 30 years since the pit crisis of 1984: https://youtu.be/OA-76QeiuSQ

3. Credence2 profile image78

I am not petty, as I had a fondness of Ms. Thatcher and her gutsy stand as the "Iron Lady" during the Fauklands issue. Even though, I forgot whose side I was on.

I don't care for political rightwingers generally, but if I did not like them while they live, his or her death does neither elevate them nor malign them in of itself.

Trump will get credit when it is due, but he cannot expect to be immune from criticism if he mismanages this matter no more than GW Bush was during Katrina.

Pro Trump threads that are not honest about his job performance and results don't make me feel any better.....

At the end of the day, we must all be held accountable for our actions or failure to act.

4. Sharlee01 profile image80
      Sharlee01posted 4 years agoin reply to this

GA -- I think you are starting to fray at the edges. (I am trying to make a bit of a funny). I am seeing your lines began to become very clear. Maybe time to tell it like it is?  Perhaps you saw my thread, "Could We Put Our Political Differences A-Side"  Even here on Hubpages a small community of users could not even comprehend my message. The thread from the first post on became just another thread to go back and forth on what Trump did yesterday, today, and will do tomorrow.  Before long it was the same old song "Somebody Body Named Trump Has Done Somebody Wrong Song."

The crisis is frightening, but at some point, it will be put behind us. However,  the "mentality" you speak will be virulent and go on to infect as many as it can.

Hey, can I get away with saying "I am glad too, not to be them?"
      Just speaking for myself, but this kind of mentality sickens me to the core.  In one breath they some speak of compassion, and in the next are willing to call another a POS or worse. 

I for one think the president, as well as Congress, are doing a good job. Sure mistakes may have been made, and yes the president may not be an eloquent speaker.or have a personality most would desire. Anyone with half a brain should be able to see he is giving it his all. That's my perspective. And to quote you... to anyone reading this, take my comment as you may, but I also am glad that I ain't you.

1. Randy Godwin profile image62
        Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Opinions are like @$$holes, Shar. Everyone.....

1. Sharlee01 profile image80

True, I was just sharing mine with GA. I wish we could calm down for just a bit. The blame game is not productive or comforting.

1. profile image0
            PrettyPantherposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, we only have less than "half a brain."

I like how you want others to calm down while you insult those who see how inept and irresponsible this president is.

2. GA Anderson profile image88

Thanks for the thought Sharlee. I thought speaking to the message of the comparison of someone celebrating a death due to political differences was pretty straight forward.

Silly rabbit!

GA

I believe it was crystal clear. Do you think many here will take your point to heart? One can always hope.

2. Sharlee01 profile image80

So, it appears I may have misunderstood your reasoning for posting this thread. 

I took my clues from " Now, as we face a national crisis, I am seeing a similar mentality in these anti-Trump coronavirus threads. It may make you feel good folks, but it certainly isn't shining a favorable light on your perspectives."

I felt you were saying some are celebrating this opportunity to bash Trump, and callously disregard the true crisis the country is facing. Taking the opportunity to point out their disappointment with how he is handling the crisis, celebrating what they believe to be his failure. Overlooking the seriousness of this crisis, and just jubilant that perhaps this will be the end of Trump. Not caring or should I say ignoring the element that people are actually praising.  Trump must be removed at all cost mentality.

I guess I perceived your comment differently than you intended. What am I not understanding?

I read between your lines, which I find frustrating sometimes. I thought you were referring to some being jubilant over what they consider the downfall of Trump, showing insensitivity to the death of American citizens. Guess I got too far into the weeds.

You got it right Sharlee. Except for the insensitivity to death part. I wouldn't go that far.

GA

I appreciate your response. Perhaps I should not have used the label insensitive.  My own perceptive was showing. However, I have perceived some comments as insensitive, dwelling on what Trump has done to cause the death of American's, rather than what he has done to help prevent the death toll from rising. It appears the death toll is in some cases being used to prop up the opinion that Trump is responsible or will be responsible for the death rate in the end.

At any rate, I have come to realize from your post to AB  Williams, you were just making a statement, expressing dismay. I read to much into your post. I applaud you for posting your feelings.

1. IslandBites profile image89
                IslandBitesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It appears the death toll is in some cases being used to prop up the opinion that Trump is responsible or will be responsible for the death rate in the end.

You would know, right?

"He (Trump) is working to help prevent death, Obama did nothing." "Look at the death toll." And so on.

Damn, this should be funny if it wasn't so sad. SMH

Not sure why you are opting to respond to a comment that was clearly directed as a response to a comment GA directed to me. I was clearly offering my opinion to GA.  I certainly have a right to my opinion in regards to what I believe Trump has done during this crisis. As well as the right to respond to GA Thread.

If you followed our conversation you might see I made no mention of Obama or H1N1. I responded to the subject of the thread.

"GA ANDERSON WROTE:
                  I tried, but don't know how to search HP forum archives. I was looking for a thread from the time of Margaret Thatcher's death.

The general postings were; "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead.' (that was an actual quote from at least one post that received multiple affirmations)

I was floored. Posters that I had interreacted with on a semi-reasonable basis on a variety of subjects were suddenly jubilantly proclaiming their joy over her death.

Now, as we face a national crisis, I am seeing a similar mentality in these anti-Trump coronavirus threads. It may make you feel good folks, but it certainly isn't shining a favorable light on your perspectives.

Take my comments as you may, but I am just glad that I ain't you.

GA"

I have no problem with you addressing my comment. However, I just don't feel in any respect obligated to defend my opinion to you. If you disagree that's your prerogative.  Sad? What is sad thinking your opinion matters more than someone else's.

1. IslandBites profile image89
                    IslandBitesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

1. Public forum.
                    2. I wasnt expecting you to.
                    3. Here is Fauci for you.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, one of the faces of the Trump administration's coronavirus task force, on Sunday warned that the novel coronavirus could infect millions of people in the United States and account for more than 100,000 deaths.

Speaking on CNN's "State of the Union," Fauci said that, based on what he's seeing, the U.S. could experience between 100,000 and 200,000 deaths from Covid-19.

"We're going to have millions of cases," Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said, noting that projections are subject to change, given that the disease's outbreak is "such a moving target."

yeah, I am mellowing into a 'touchy feely' kinda guy. Hell, I might even be on the path to 'Metro Man'. ;-)

But I am still contemplating a new fire and brimstone approach just to spice things up.

GA

I knew at some point you just might go the fire and brimstone route. Yes, could feel it coming. Hey, you might even end up in the "I was banned club". In which I belong to. Hey, if you are following you're "I am glad I am not you " thread, you might see I have ended up in hot water due to how I responded to your declaration. Thanks a million. LOL

Amazingly, (at least to me), I was banned once—for one day, for responding to a poster with a meme of laughing Boy Scouts.

That poster said everyone respected his opinion because he only posted facts, (he didn't), and I responded with a meme of cartoon Boy Scouts laughing:

https://hubstatic.com/14940225.jpg

No text, just the image. And I got a 24 hr. ban.

GA

5. Ken Burgess profile image75
      Ken Burgessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Its surreal isn't it?

We have a pandemic, which obviously is no longer a debatable issue as to its seriousness... unlike a month ago.

Nor is the economic consequence some imaginary monster, as has just been reported there are 3.83 million people just added to unemployment.

And the consequence for many businesses being out of business for even one month, means those businesses will fail. 

There is no crisis in our history that compares to the numbers coming in, not at the worst stage of the recession in 2008 were the numbers even a quarter as bad as we have just seen reported.

But yet, we have politicians in the House totally disconnected to these realities, playing politics and putting pet projects ahead of the American economy and the people.

We have lunatics badgering the President daily with idiotic questions and 'News' outlets doing all they can to twist his words to suit their biased agendas.

And we have plenty on social media sites like this that can't see beyond trying to destroy Trump and anyone who would support him, even in such dire circumstance.

6. abwilliams profile image68
      abwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I am not surprised GA, although I'd love to chat with you and others in the forums regularly, I can't.
      There are too many ugly and hateful people hanging out here.

The last time I was here, a few individuals were kicking Rush Limbaugh while he is down. Calling him garbage, trash and things like that, when he had just been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. I would not hang with people like this in my day to day life, certainly have no desire to spend any time here, if that's what the forums have been reduced to.

I love Margaret Thatcher, she is one of my heroes, right up there with Ronald Reagan.
      Have you found your answers? I haven't read any comments, only yours.
      Hope you and yours are doing well! Be safe.

Me and mine are doing fine abwilliams. Thanks for your thought.

But, I can't be so charitable in addressing your explanation for restricted forum participation.

I get to choose who I interact with. And so do you. I don't have a problem just scrolling past stuff that isn't my cup of tea, or too inane to respond to. (okay, I admit some stuff is just too outrageous to ignore), or just skipping threads that I know will be a discussion I don't want to get involved in.

If you enjoy your forum participation, then just tighten up Ms. interact where you want and just ignore the rest.

As for answers . . . I wasn't looking for any. I just wanted to express a view.

GA

1. abwilliams profile image68

...and I too wanted to express a view and did.

. . . and it felt satisfying too, didn't it?

GA

What would really be satisfying, is to see a kinder, gentler world, when this Corona thing is behind us. Disagreements (that will always be present) not always ending with insults, one-ups going too far, resulting in the pushing away of people. All of us have more in common then we realize, but so many can't get past someone's politics, to get to know more about that person and....yep, it all begins with me!

Wonderful sentiment. It seems we can't even pull together in a crisis. I really do not want to think where this all will go when we put the crisis behind us.

The divide is deep and seems at this point irreparable.

oh gawddd . . . Sounds like time for a kumbaya campfire.  ;-)

GA

I must agree, but I won't take it back, so I'll just leave it sit here, to be savored...

2. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 4 years ago

Hear Hear GA. Or is it Here Here.

Whatever. I agree with the sentiment.

3. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 4 years ago

I was banned twice. Never got a reason. (Never asked for one, didn't know how. And I wasn't that interested.) I believe it was one or two weeks each.

4. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 4 years ago

Thank god you were not going to answer. Twice.

Good luck.

Still not sure why you needed to enter into a conversation and divert off subject. I could see you wanted to make a point. I wanted to respect your comment and respond. I   wanted to be polite.  That simple

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)