Voter Suppression

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 4 years ago

According to Stacey Abrams, certain groups of people don't get a say in our democratic representative republic. She claims voting by mail will allow equal access to the ballot and correct this situation. She wrote a book called, "Our Time is Now," to explain her viewpoint.

She wishes to be the VP choice, (after loosing the bid for governor of Georgia.)
    She seems to be interested in empowering those who (she claims) have never been empowered. And she says she knows what it is to be powerless, as a black woman from Mississippi.

I would say she has come a long way, but will Joe pick her as a running mate?

1. Credence2 profile image80
      Credence2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

He could, but I would advise against it.

Kathryn L Hillposted 4 years agoin reply to this

How Come?

Credence2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Glad that you asked that.

Joe is pandering again. He is already in trouble with the more progressive side of the party as middle of the road non-controversial type and just a sane replacement for Trump. If there is too much ho-hum about the nominee, the Dems may well lose again. Removing Trump may well not be enough without something to vote for.

Liz Warren is a better choice as having much more experience and without a doubt could step into the top job on day one. She would not be content to be consigned to some corner office of obscurity but would be active in promoting goals of the progressives, while Biden could be a moderating force. It is a great idea to have a female running mate, but not just anyone.

I am more interested in policy positions, experience and track record over the ethnicity of his selection choice. Warren receives top marks from me.

It takes courage to not select a girl-Friday for the job,

I would rather win than be patronized.....

1. GA Anderson profile image83
            GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't support Warren, (I also don't support Biden), but I think you are right that she would be a good choice for him. Too bad she can't be his pick, he has committed to picking a Black female VP.

GA

... we'll see what THEY say!

2. profile image0
            Stevennix2001posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't know.  After seeing how CNN and Elizabeth Warren tried to set up Bernie Sanders during the primaries, I wouldn't trust her as far as i could throw her, but that's just me.   Personally, I think if Biden wants to win the election, then his VP will have to be spot on.   Given Biden's senility, I'm not entirely convinced he could beat Trump in a debate, which is only going to make his VP that much more important if he plans to win this year's election.

Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, Steven, Liz was playing politics and I don't like how she dissed Bernie, or so it appeared.

But Liz is the only choice who would take seriously the progressive  agenda and not just give it lip service.

Trump is so dumb, It doesn't take a whole of debating skill to reveal his obvious flaws and vulnerabilities. Plus, after all, he and the Republicans are on the hot seat to explain the dismal state of affairs in the nation today.

Biden is going to need more than the silent, obscure, figurehead VP which had been the standard, but instead, someone extraordinary  because of Biden's age and based on the fact that Trump has dug us all into so deep a hole that we are going the need the talents and energy of virtually two Presidents, not just one.

2. Sharlee01 profile image89
      Sharlee01posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I love her, she is not a swamp dweller---
      Abrams is a well-respected lawyer, an avid voting rights activist, she served in the Georgia House of Representatives, and served as minority leader.  She has a wonderful Yale education and is known for her good common sense.

Not sure why Biden is playing games with choosing a running mate or finds it necessary to limit his choice to a female. Big time pandering, HINT HINT... "That is Give them what they want to hear Biden".No, she does not have tons of experience, this could be looked at as refreshing.

Abrams would be a wonderful pick, she would be one that would work on the systemic racial problem. His other candidates would work on getting themself into the White House.  They are swampy.

2. lions44 profile image91
    lions44posted 4 years ago

It will be Kamala Harris. 

Abrams has won nothing. Warren is not that popular outside of her progressive base. It's all about the swing states (6 total).  Harris the only one that helps there.  She's a former prosecutor. Biracial, great backstory, etc.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Is the VP being chosen with sex as the primary requirement?  That would be a sad state of affairs, would it not?

1. Ken Burgess profile image74
        Ken Burgessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It is the reality of today's current progressive movement... the VP will be a woman, and will be a minority, and will be the acting President right out of the gates because Biden is absolutely mentally incompetent.

I do not under-estimate the extent of the change that is coming, the number of people in key positions, in the media, in politics, and in companies like Google, Facebook and Twitter that are determined to make it happen, now.

Things that would have been unthinkable happen on a daily basis today, at local, state, and federal levels.

The Supreme Court recently ruled on a case that essentially turns over half of Oklahoma to the Native American Tribes that had been granted that territory more than 100 years ago.

California abolished its anti-discrimination policies, so that they can now discriminate... it won't be hispanics or blacks that they are targeting with discrimination. 

If you didn't know this, whites are about 30% of the population in CA and growing smaller every day.  But many graphics won't show this. They now blend Hispanics and Whites as one race in CA...  for demographics  and political purposes.

According to 2018 US Census Bureau estimates, California's population was 59.5% White (36.6% Non-Hispanic White), 14.7% Asian, 13.8% Some Other Race, 5.8% Black or African American, 0.8% Native Americans and Alaskan Native, 0.4% Pacific Islander and 5.1% from two or more races.

But that was 2018, in the last two years millions have fled California, and they are almost all "middle Class" workers and business owners.

Seattle is full tilt racist politics as well.  The City of Seattle's Office on Civil Rights had its "white city employees" attend a training session on "Interrupting Internalized Racial Superiority and Whiteness"... this was so they could "interrupt [their] racism to make [them] accountable to Black, Indigenous and People of Color"

The issues being conflated in our society today to cause this growing swell of turmoil are definitely being heightened at this time of "lock-downs" by tens of millions of workers and students left with nothing else to do.

America was at a crossroads of MAJOR issues, any one of which would have rocked our society in difficult times, the fact that several are hitting us all at the same time will have debilitating impact in the months ahead, and likely for years to come.

We have the racial component of America... we have reached the point where Whites are no longer a significant enough majority (barely over 50% today) that "Western Society" AKA "White Society" is being challenged and will continue to be challenged.

We have the Nation's Christian heritage which also has reached the point where it is no longer a majority bringing into question social norms (Christmas, Easter, customs). Between Atheists, Muslims, etc. there is a growing percentage of Americans that don't identify with Christianity and have little desire to tolerate it.

The biggest factor that will impact us in the months and years ahead is our crumbling economy. Caused not just by our reaction to the virus, but our economic transition from dominant global leader, to second largest economy and with that change, the turmoil that will be caused by not being the world's center of riches and wealth. This ties into global realities of lower wages, less jobs, less upward mobility for anyone not already in the wealthy/elite stratosphere.

We are in the midst of the beginnings of a sweeping revolutionary period for America, brought on by the great economic hardships to come and lack of cohesive unity as a society.

You have your Racial divides, your political divides, your religious divides, your sexual orientation divides, and your anti-patriarchal feminism all in full force... being driven by irrational fanatics and the greedy power hungry.  The country is primed for total chaos to rule in the years ahead.

Chaos is already taking hold in States like Oregon, Washington, and Cities like Chicago and LA... the insanity of events is mostly ignored by the media, even as millions are left unemployed as States shut down businesses left and right while letting the riots rule the streets.

Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years agoin reply to this

yikes. So you do not see any way to stop this steam roller.

I guess we will be referring to "the good ol' days" a lot, in the future.

2. Ken Burgess profile image74
            Ken Burgessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Its like being on the beach and watching a Tsunami rolling in... what can you do to change the unchangeable?

The Fed Reserve is "printing" Trillions a month... out of thin air, how long do you believe that can go on before the backlash hits us?

States are shutting down businesses, bankrupting them big and small, putting tens of millions out of work permanently... how long before the reality of their situation sinks in and their unemployment benefits go away?

And you can see the insanity of the positions the "progressives" are taking, and the support they are getting from a significant number of governors and mayors across the country.  Everything from defund the police to legalizing discrimination against whites is being pushed for...

Yes, things are certainly going to get worse before they get better.

Well, that doesn't sound very good.
              I suppose we can always do without money through the barter system.
              and maybe bit coin?
              Oh my gosh, that's it, isn't it?
              They will do away with concrete money.
              They will keep track of what you earn and pay all through the computer.
              The chip!
              They will assign you work and you will be expected to contribute to the whole of society ...
              willingly.
              So, it will be like a religion to do so,
              Live for Others, Not yourself. There's the sin:
              Living selfishly for oneself.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

PS I have a feeling Elizabeth Warren will be back. Somehow, someway ...

Warren will be back.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Would she be a good VP and then tap the top? Pelosi gone with with the wind!

what does "tap the top" mean?
        Oh, you mean become the (first woman) president of the United States?

Heaven help us.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Years ago, I was happy when Pelosi becomes governor. I tip her as a potential presidential candidate And I was right. You guest where she was laler. Speaker!        Pelosi would have have become president, but she meddle too much with the bad boys, and becomes too meddlesome.          America need a woman president these days. God answer your prayers.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Tanmoy had been kicked off his planet for being Uncooperative. His planet was one which thrived on consistent and dependable cooperation to the point of blind obedience.
    It infuriated his people that he thought for himself, seemed alloof and powerfully independent. He had hoped that these qualities would be valued on earth.
    He moved to America, where independence, self-reliance and freedom of thought/speech was valued and protected.
    He enjoyed the freedom America offered for a little while, but realized, it was all under attack.
    He just hoped the American people would continue to value and protect what they had.
    After all, they did not possess the rocket fuel needed to get beyond their solar system to some other distant planet, where freedom could once again be established.

1. profile image0
      Recarioposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Apparently, the earth was a water planet at one time. Then energy in some form occurred and brought forth rock forms, life and RNA. If a planet is a mind wave, it is a mighty one.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

Nevertheless, I think we need to save the ballot box and same-day voting.

Your're already on a water planet, the earth.    It appear blueish and beautiful to the envy of mermaids. You don't need to be one.         Significantly, your're Godward created. Help save the earth as the mermaids are likely to take over.

Yes, it used to be all water. There are planets out there that are still all water.

No human beings like I and you ever exists there. When we appear there, I think then, only then they'll intrude for they planet is destroyed.

... no, in water what harm could we do?

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

lol!

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

Remember the good ol' days, last summer when we could go anywhere we wanted without wearing a mask?
      Remember the good ol days last Christmas when we could hug grammy?
      Remember the good ol days in the beginning of the year when we could afford rent/mortgage?
      Remember the good ol days when kids could play in the park, swim, take sports classes, play with other children on the block?
      Remember the good ol, days when we didn't hate each other?
      when we respected whichever president was elected
      ... when could go to music concerts, musicals and plays?
      when we could trust our voting methods?

So, Ken, with your crystal ball, can we trust mail in voting and does the current president have a chance for a second term?

4. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 3 years ago

No human being ever exists there. Why should we be there? Bless you.

Jimi Hendrix said he wished he could swim from place to place on earth.

I'd like to swim away about now.

1. The Masked Marauder profile image69
            The Masked Marauderposted 3 years agoin reply to this

"I wish I could swim from place to place to place"? Do you have a reference to that quote or lyric? As a former musician, I just don't recall that one in my music library.

It is there in my mind. I heard it somewhere.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)