Operation Warp Speed

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image79
    Sharlee01posted 3 years ago

"THE PRESIDENT:  Thank you very much.  Thank you.  It’s beautiful out here this time of year.  In the past nine months, my administration has initiated the single greatest mobilization in U.S. history — pioneering, developing, and manufacturing therapies and vaccines in record time.  Numbers like nobody has seen before.

No medical breakthrough of this scope and magnitude has ever been achieved this rapidly, this quickly.  And we’re very proud of it, and I had tremendous help from the military — generals, admirals — and many of the great people at the White House.

"And I’d like to congratulate everyone involved in this effort.  It’s been an incredible effort.  As a result of Operation Warp Speed, Pfizer announced on Monday that its China virus vaccine is more than 90 percent effective.  This far exceeds any and all expectations.  Nobody thought they’d get to that level.  And we have others coming which we think will be at equal level"

Pfizer announced earlier this week that its trials show its COVID-19 vaccine is "more than 90% effective," The pharmaceutical company said it would soon be applying in the next few weeks for Emergency Use Authorization from the Food and Drug Administration.

Operation Warp Speed was formed in May of 2020
    "DR. SLAOUI:  Thank you, Mr. President.  Hi, everybody.  So Operation Warp Speed’s mission is to enable and accelerate the development of vaccines and therapeutics to help control the COVID-19 pandemic and save lives.

On May 15th, almost six months ago to the day, we stated the goal of the operation, which was to have vaccines and therapeutics available and approved for use in the U.S. population by the end of the year 2020.  We said then that, while very challenging, the goal was credible and therefore was worth trying with the best — our best to achieve it. Today, we’re almost six months later, and I think we can say that significant progress has been made."

"GENERAL PERNA:  Mr. President, thank you for allowing me to continue service of our great nation as the co-leader with Dr. Moncef Slaoui on this mission.

Let me start by emphasizing, for me, what is Operation Warp Speed about: It is about saving lives, and it is a herculean task that the President put us on many months ago.  And as Dr. Slaoui just laid out, we are making steady progress and we are ready to execute.

Through the whole-of-America approach, we have leveraged the best of the nation in federal government, local, states, industry, and academia to expand the capacity and capability to achieve our mission.  It has been powerful.

We have capitalized on the best contracting, logistics, and planning experts available to synchronize and integrate all phases of the operation, from the development of the vaccine, manufacturing of the vaccine, and finally distribution of the vaccine."

Today President Trump has provided the country with hope, the hope of not one but several vaccines that will be ready in the near future. The president felt confident that Pfizer's vaccine would be ready to be administered to Medical workers, and the elderly as soon as mid-December, and by April available for the general population. He also assured the Nation that during this current spike in COVID he was ready to supply the needed PPE and additional hospital beds if needed while the Nation proceeds through the current wave. He requested we continue to keep up mitigations, distancing, handwashing, and mask when one can't distance.

It would appear Operation Warp Speed will be successful in providing vaccines that will help stop the spread of COVID19.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-st … arp-speed/

https://www.c-span.org/video/?478093-1/ … e-lockdown

https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/explain … index.html

Thoughts on the President's Operation Warp Speed initiative.

Did Trump actually follow the science of virology?  The science of virology stands to confirm a vaccine is one of the only ways to alleviate a society of a virulent virus.

Was Trump's decision or plan to make every effort to get a vaccine in record time prudent?

https://hubstatic.com/15276193.jpg

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

No, he didn't follow science; he was just lucky.  Or maybe it Obama's legacy, like the historical low unemployment.

No, it was not prudent, for it gave false hope to the people. 

Oh, and I have some absolutely lovely bridge for sale...

Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I realize many will turn this pot of jam into a pot of swamp water. They just can't help it. How miserable it must be to always look for the negative.

However, we can ready ourselves to be vaccinated. It well appears Santa is coming early this year. 

I for one am so pleased with the speedy progression that was taken to bring us a vaccine or I should say vaccines. And I am very pleased with the president's diligence. Just my opinion. Hey, I feel fabulous today! I can see a light, and it's a bright one.

1. profile image0
          Marisa Writesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The President did not bring you a vaccine. Pfizer produced the vaccine with no help from the US administration.  Operation Warp Speed is just about the distribution of the vaccine which won't happen till the end of next year, so there's hardly a great rush to have it all organized right now.

"11/09/2020:
            " Pfizer spokesperson Sharon Castillo provided a statement that said the company is indeed part of Operation Warp Speed.

"Pfizer is one of various vaccine manufacturers participating in Operation Warp Speed as a supplier of a potential COVID-19 vaccine," Castillo said in an email. "While Pfizer did reach an advanced purchase agreement with the U.S. government, the company did not accept (Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority) funding for the research and development process. All the investment for R&D was made by Pfizer at risk. Dr. Jansen was emphasizing that last point."
            Fact Checked --- CNN  https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/politics … index.html

I want to be polite, but it is hard to tolerate any comment from anyone that shows such a lack of respect for others' opinions. First, I did not say anything about it or how Pfizer was paid to do research...    It is very apparent you care little for my opinion as I care little for yours.   I don't have to defend my view. And not sure where you get off making such a statement --- "The President did not bring you a vaccine".    I offered you a link to view the press conference that the advisers of Operation Warp Speed and POTUS gave an update on the vaccine.   I at this point prefer to receive my information on the subject from the source. Not sure why the attitude, but take it elsewhere.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
              GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Damn Sharlee,I don't think I want to get on your wrong side. You are more than capable of stating your opinion. bI like your approach.  Disagree or kiss my butt, either one is fine with me. ;-)

GA

GA, I knew this thread would bring out the bitterness in some.  I myself am so pleased to see a vaccine on the horizon.  And that it may come sooner than later. It truly baffles me how it could appear some are putting all their hopes into the vaccine comes later, just to bash Trump.  Can't wrap my head around that way of thinking.  In my view, Operation Wrap Speed has been successful. Half-full always severs me better... Hey, I don't want soar hands, wringing them not only can lead to pain, but there is just real unattractiveness to the gesture.

It actually appears we may even have a spare...  We will be hearing this coming week from Moderna on the progress of their vaccine.  https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/mode … es/583343/

2. profile image0

Did you read the articles you linked to in full?   If you did, you'll see Pfizer is participating ONLY as a supplier of their vaccine, once it becomes available. The DEVELOPMENT of their vaccine was done entirely independently.

You cannot deny that you said the President had brought you the vaccine.  He hasn't. He has plans to distribute it to you in the future.  Different thing.  As a writer, you should have a better understanding of English.

OMG --- Did you even read my comment, The one you are responding to? Once again here is a quote from the very comment you are responding to --

"," Castillo said in an email. "While Pfizer did reach an advanced purchase agreement with the U.S. government, the company did not accept (Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority) funding for the research and development process. All the investment for R&D was made by Pfizer at risk. Dr. Jansen was emphasizing that last point."

To repeat --- consntrat on these sentences.

"the company did not accept (Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority) funding for the research and development process. All the investment for R&D was made by Pfizer at risk. Dr. Jansen was emphasizing that last point."

I did not say the President I brought you the vaccine. The majority of my initial post is  quotations presenting information from President
                Trump,OWS advisor  DR. SLAOUI as well as   OWS  advisor GENERAL PERNA. 

I followed up with my opinion, which I developed after listening to the entire Press conference, reading the entire transcript from the said press conference, and an article from HHS.  I looked for facts, before spouting off my opinion.  Here is my opinion which you can find at the end of my initial comment.

Today President Trump has provided the country with hope, the hope of not one but several vaccines that will be ready in the near future. The president felt confident that Pfizer's vaccine would be ready to be administered to Medical workers, and the elderly as soon as mid-December, and by April available for the general population. He also assured the Nation that during this current spike in COVID he was ready to supply the needed PPE and additional hospital beds if needed while the Nation proceeds through the current wave. He requested we continue to keep up mitigations, distancing, handwashing, and mask when one can't distance.

It would appear Operation Warp Speed will be successful in providing vaccines that will help stop the spread of COVID19.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-st … arp-speed/

https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/explain … index.html

Thoughts on the President's Operation Warp Speed initiative.

Did Trump actually follow the science of virology?  The science of virology stands to confirm a vaccine is one of the only ways to alleviate a society of a virulent virus.

Was Trump's decision or plan to make every effort to get a vaccine in record time prudent?

Please note at no point did I say the president paid Pfizer for research. I did not touch on the contract the US has with Pfizer. I used words like "hope" and "It appears" "The president felt confident ". Context matters... You have read into my personal opinion, that is very clear. You presumed to think I was giving credit to the president for providing cash to Pfizer for research and development. I did not implicate that opinion.  To sum up I don't just give an off-the-shoulder opinion because a keyboard would allow me to.  My opinion is just that in my opinion, in this incident I came by it carefully. I think at this point I have made myself clear.

Not sure why you would insinuate I have a problem understanding the English language.  It seems to be you that is having a problem with the English language, but also comprehending a well-written statement.  Word matter, context matters when reading a complete statement.

I must say you are persistent, not sure it bodes well in this scenario.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
            GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The end of next year? That seems contrary to all media reports. Did I miss something?

I was enthused by the details of the military's logistic control for immediately getting the vaccine to sites where it can be administered, but now I am seeing pushback about the military's involvement at all.

Am I missing something, or is this just more anti-Trump rhetoric? Is it the true reality that once the vaccine is approved it can magically get to where it is needed? Does FedEx and DHS really have all thye contingencies covered? Is OperationWarp Speed just another political puppet show?

I think not, but judging by this thread's comments, it seems I may be misinformed.

GA

1. profile image0

We'll come back to this thread when it starts being distributed, I guess.

Other countries are estimating it will be available for general distribution by September next year at the earliest. 

Of course, if Biden ends up President and that date turns out to be accurate, no doubt Republicans will claim it would've been earlier if Trump was in power. It couldn't possibly be that Trump was telling a fib.

It seems to concern you that the US may have the vaccine earlier than other countries. It is odd that this is a point of contention...  Almost like a "you wait and see, kick the wall scenario".  You seem to add predictions into your every opinion.  In my view, this type of attitude projects an innate attribute to  bait.  Why would you feel  "Republicans will claim would've been earlier if Trump was in power"?

1. profile image0

No, the point is that I don't believe the US will have the vaccine earlier than any other country.

Operation Warp Speed may seem to imply that the US will have the vaccine earlier, but it is a mirage. 

Pfizer will make the virus available to all its customers at the same time.  Operation Warp Speed will make absolutely NO difference.

Operation Warp Speed may well make a difference to how quickly the virus is deployed by your health systems once it is released.  That's all.

We shall see.

It would appear you may not comprehending my comments. I did not in any respect imply that the US would have the vaccine earlier than other countries. I have no idea what contracts Pfizer has with other Nations, nor could I care less...Or do I know if other Nations paid any Pharma companies to speed up research and development? Did your country put cash out for research and development for a vaccine? This would be something I think should be of interest to you.

You appear to be very argumentative, and I for one could care less about playing the "I Had It First game".  I  started the thread just to bring attention to the OWS plan, and to point out its benefits as I view them.  Just highlighting the news in regard to where we in the US stand in regard to when we can expect a vaccine...  I quote facts that in the way of quotes from the OWS advisors and the President. No more no less. I made no mention of other countries or when they would have a vaccine. Actually, that does not concern me.

It is well apparent your view is different than mine. No problem, but I don't appreciate or even understand why you feel it fair to interpret my comments out of context. In my view, it would appear you feel your opinion is more worthy than mine or others that post here. That's your problem, not mine.

And yes we shall see. My personality is one that sees the cup half full and does not search out the negative.  I have hope that the vaccine will be available in Dec. If the plan does not come to fruition I will continue to have faith we will have it soon.

2. profile image0

Pfizer's success has absolutely nothing to do with President Trump.  Pfizer declined to accept any support from the US administration and developed their vaccine independently.

The US, like other countries, has placed orders with Pfizer for their vaccine. That's called being a customer.

And of course, we don't actually know whether it will be approved yet. What's been announced is only preliminary results.  It looks like it's 90% effective, but we don't know how long it lasts - could be only a month or two, for all we know at this point.

Also, it's going to be very challenging to distribute the vaccine countrywide, because it has to be kept refrigerated at all times.

2. IslandBites profile image88
        IslandBitesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Pfizer's success has absolutely nothing to do with President Trump.  Pfizer declined to accept any support from the US administration and developed their vaccine independently.

Yet, this is what Trump said and what his trumpers will believe and repeat forever.

"As everyone knows, the Trump Administration has produced a great and safe VACCINE far ahead of schedule."

3. Sharlee01 profile image79

I am not sure you read the president's statement or perhaps you took it out of context...  he in no respect claimed he had paid Pfizer to do research. He did make mention in the press conference in regard to the pending order the US Government made with the company last July.  Not sure why you feel you know more about distribution than the president's advisors or for that matter Pfizer.  Since last Aug plans were being made on how to deliver the vaccine due to its need for proper temperature requirements. You seem to feel you know more about this vaccine and how it will be delivered than the company that produced it.

3. Tim Truzy info4u profile image95
      Tim Truzy info4uposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I can't resist. Operation Warp Speed from a movement which ridicules science, straight to the sci-fi, right? I simply say: Beam me up, Scotty, Jordi, Data, O'Brien, Dax, or any of you guys from Star-Trek. Geez.

4. Sharlee01 profile image79

Update  --  Wonderful News Moderna announces they are ready to offer their vaccine. The vaccine shows to be 94% effective and one-time injection.   ---

"As good as it gets’: Fauci hails Moderna coronavirus vaccine" Dr. Fauci

"Dr. Anthony Fauci Monday hailed the announcement of a second successful coronavirus vaccine even as caseloads soared to new records.

The world-famous pandemic doctor called the 95% protection produced in trials of the Moderna vaccine “truly outstanding.”

“That’s as good as it gets,” Fauci said on CNN.

Moderna announced its vaccine provides strong protection, offering new hope against the grim backdrop of coronavirus surges in the U.S. and around the world.  https://www.aol.com/news/good-gets-fauc … 09354.html

US Contract with Moderna ---  https://www.biopharma-reporter.com/Arti … -up-to-8bn

Trump Administration collaborates with Moderna to produce 100 million doses of COVID-19 investigational vaccine

"Moderna will manufacture the vaccine doses while clinical trials are underway. Manufacturing in parallel with clinical trials expedites the traditional vaccine development timeline and builds toward the U.S. government’s Operation Warp Speed goal to begin delivering safe and effective vaccines to the American people by the end of the year. If the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorizes use as outlined in agency guidance, the vaccine doses would be distributed and used as part of a COVID-19 vaccination campaign."

"Under the leadership of President Trump, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and Department of Defense (DoD) today announced an agreement with Moderna, Inc. to manufacture and deliver 100 million doses of the company’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate. The federal government will own these vaccine doses.'
      https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/08/ … ccine.html

Moderna is all set to deliver vaccines once FDA gives the OK.  Moderna's vaccine is  94% effective, one-time injection

https://hubstatic.com/15278428.jpg

I realize as of late some are reading into my comments. In this case, let's all listen to Dr. Fauci on the new vaccines and when he feels they could be available. However, I do also realize the good Doctor flip flops as necessary, this is what he is saying today... 

It would appear we have a brighter light at the end of the tunnel.

Does that mean we have "turned a corner"? lol

As being somewhat educated in virology (somewhat)  I think a vaccine or now two could benefit us. A vaccine will slow down the spread as we build a herd without as many casualties. A vaccine is not a cure-all, we will most likely need to take a yearly COVID vaccine for some time. We are still receiving the H1N1 most years , and the H1N1 virus has been denatured to a flu strain.  So, although not a cure-all it's the best shot we have at this point. I feel we are getting closer to turning a corner. Keep that cup half full...

Well, I'd say that we have turned a pretty big corner with not one but two proven vaccines. 

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics; just what is a "corner" and what does it take to "turn" it.

I would guess the sentiment  "turning the corner"  used to express one's thought's on stamping out the virus is individual. Some might feel turning the corner is a very small step, with a long way to go, projecting that we still have many stumbling blocks. While some see turning the corner as being a very big step to ridding us of the virus. One could say it's all how one perceives a problem. Half full, half empty. Some people find it easier to smile, some just seem to frown.  Do you smile or find it easier and wiser to frown?

How about a small smile, indicating that we made a pretty big step but still have a long way to go.  We have the answer; it's just a matter of mechanics in putting it to work now.

So...half full, but of good bourbon rather than just water. smile

Yes! for me a nice Mint Julep would surface...Nice amount pours of bourbon, and a few sprigs of mint, and a tad of sugar ---  Good for the soul, mind,  spirit, and the mint could not be all bad for the stomach.

2. Sharlee01 profile image79

Update--- Great news the AstraZeneca COVID vaccine has been Okayed for uses in the UK... And will soon be presented to the FDA for use in the US.  If all goes well, we will have another vaccine available. Enough to vaccinate an additional 300 million citizens as it is produced.

Some promising news...  May 2020 ---U.S. secures 300 million doses of potential AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine

"ENGALURU/LONDON (Reuters) - The United States has secured almost a third of the first 1 billion doses planned for AstraZeneca’s experimental COVID-19 vaccine by pledging up to $1.2 billion, as world powers scramble for medicines to get their economies back to work."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal … SKBN22X0J9

5. profile image0
      Marisa Writesposted 3 years ago

I am not questioning the arrangements in place for distribution of the vaccine once it is available.  I am sure they are as stated.  I am pointing out that many commenters (including on this thread) think that Operation Warp Speed was instrumental in getting the virus developed in the first place, which is not true. 

I suggest checking Pfizer's own press releases.  They hope they might have some doses of the vaccine available by the end of this year but not enough for widespread vaccination.  Some commentators are hoping it might be more widely available by next Easter, some feel, based on past experience, that there will be a few more hiccups and it will be the fall.

I see once again you feel your view is set in cement...  I always make every attempt to get my information from reputable sources, and first hand. I don't subscribe to general media dribble. I find the media at this point to offer little but their skewed negative opinions. Sort of dishing up a bitter feed to negative followers that thrive on such news. Bits and pieces of garbage. Just my view...

Example - " I am sure they are as stated.  I am pointing out that many commenters (including on this thread) think that Operation Warp Speed was instrumental in getting the virus developed in the first place, which is not true. "

This is a vague statement that offers nothing but your opinion. In my view, the money and contracts from the US and possibly other countries made it very much possible for the Pharma companies to accelerate research and development of therapeutics and vaccines.

"Submission for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) planned for soon after the required safety milestone is achieved, which is currently expected to occur in the third week of November" https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-relea … te-against

NOVEMBER 10, 2020   " WASHINGTON (Reuters) - If Pfizer Inc PFE.N submits the positive initial data from its COVID-19 vaccine trial to health regulators as quickly as expected, the U.S. government plans to begin vaccinating Americans in December, Health Secretary Alex Azar said on Tuesday."

"Top U.S. infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci also said in an interview with MSNBC that he expects the doses of the vaccine to be available for certain high priority groups in December."

IT is being reported that the vaccine will be given to Medical workers, as well as the elderly first before distributed to the general population.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal … SKBN27Q20J

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)