Is smashing watermelons a racist act? Shannon Sharpe says it is.

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 3 years ago

As some of you sports gurus know, the Dallas cowboys have been struggling this year; especially after Dak Prescott suffered a season ending injury.   

Mike McCarthy, the coach, decided to motivate his players before their game against the Minnesota Vikings, by smashing watermelons to get his team fired up.    Apparently, it worked as the team won allegedly.   I only know about this because a friend told me about it as I don't even watch sports anymore nor do I intend to again but that's besides the point.   Anyways, former NFL player turned sports analyst, and a bonafide hall of famer to boot, Shannon Sharpe, claimed what Mike McCarthy did was insensitive and racist.   Claiming watermelons have certain connotations as they relate to black people like himself.   In other words, he implies it was a bit of a racist act to smash a watermelon to motivate his players.   What are your thoughts on this?   Is smashing watermelons a racist act?    Or not?   And if you do think it's a racist act then can you please explain it to me as I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around that.  Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware of the stereotype of black people being into fried chicken and watermelons the same way everyone expects all Asians to be into martial arts.    Or when people claim all Asians look alike when they don't but that's besides the point.   

However I just don't get how smashing watermelons is a racist act so is there something I'm missing here?   Please tell me if you can explain it to me as I don't see it being a racist act.   Granted I think smashing watermelons is stupid because it's a waste of food honestly but I don't think much of it beyond that.     

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebig … xfhjy3/amp

Edit:. Also sorry if this thread itself comes off as a bit racist for merely asking the question as I'm curious to know exactly why smashing watermelons is a racist act so someone can explain it to me so I can understand.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I have always thought of watermelons as being green.  With a red interior just as black, white, red, yellow and brown people all have.  Never thought of vegetables as being racist. 

Given that, it becomes difficult to find a real connection between the races of watermelon and black humans.  They are different colors; while there may be racism between them (just as between whites and blacks), no one could reasonably consider smashing watermelons to be a racist act against blacks.

Unless one claims that blacks love watermelons so much that smashing them is an act causing harm to blacks?  More than to the watermelons?

2. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Not really, you have that correct.

1. Sharlee01 profile image78
        Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I read a little about this story and it well appears by the statement Shannon Sharpe offered about the watermelon smashing that he feels it's was a racist insult. --- "Hell no, I don’t think it’s fun,” Sharpe said. “Listen, dear white America, anytime you have Black people in your presence, watermelon has a negative connotation. Let it go. Let it go. "

So, perhaps we should ban watermelons and protest stores that sell them.  In the case of a bunch of football players smashing watermelons, I don't see it as a racist act. It sounds like the football players participated and had a bit of fun.  I have not read anything about any of the players bringing up any racist accusations about the incident.

However, I think in some unfortunate incidences the word watermelon can be applied and used to a sentence that denotes racism. But the fruit in all its glory, I don't think it should be offensive to anyone.

1. Credence2 profile image79
          Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Watermelons has been used as a form of racial slur, the campaign of the late Harold Washington for the office of Mayor of Chicago in 1983 comes to mind. His opponents used many ugly racist caricatures to attack the man. The "watermelon" thing was part of it.

Breaking and smashing watermelons is not associated with racism in of itself.

1. Sharlee01 profile image78
            Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

We agree as I stated unfortunately the word itself is used by some to denote a racial slur. I did a bit further looking into the story, it appeared black players did participate and were smashing watermelons with other black players names on them.  I really think all that were participating did not think it racial. Did the coach? Not so sure about his reasons for even coming up with the idea.

And yes I have heard the watermelon used by racists. Unfortunately, they are still a part of our society.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)