One of the B est Superbowl Commercials Ever -This Is My America

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (33 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 3 years ago

This is my [C]onservative America.

https://hubstatic.com/15407724.jpg

My forum messages have forever been that we need the middle, and I think [C]onservatives are that middle. You can espouse your Left or Right ideologies relative to the politics of the day all you want, but it will forever be the Middle that pushes America forward.

Of course, this is just a commercial, but it speaks so forcefully to my perspectives that I think it is a lesson for us all to consider.

GA

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ohh...!

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Since I slept through the first half, losing interest the second half, and then reading my tablet I missed the commercial. So, I found it and watched. Here is the link for others if interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2XYH-IEvhI

For me I can relate to the video regarding where the location is and relating it to the central character. But, is that a representation of the middle in a political spectrum? I will ponder some more.

Having read these forums for five years closely and in the recent six months or so I still have no idea what a [C] onservative is. I speculate it is close to the Ten Conservative Principals of Russel Kirk. https://kirkcenter.org/conservatism/ten … rinciples/ I will have to study again one day. There is a lot to digest.

I have always leaned conservative most of my life voting Republican just because. Over the last four years or so I have been questioning my values and position and won't go into that. However, always curious I look to Google University for understanding.

Anyway, wanting to know where I stand regard the middle I sought Google University coming upon an interesting typology quiz for determining that by Pew Research. I wound up dead center and it is classified as 'New Era Enterprisers'. The outer spectrum are Solid Liberal and Core Conservative. You can click on each classification to see the descriptor. There is one classification I found interesting and think many are in that. It is 'Bystanders'. You will see your answer compared to the general public. Here is a link if interested https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/qu … -typology/

Just as a side note I voted for Teddy Roosevelt the last two elections.

Sorry for the long post. Looking forward to others views.

GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

*The image was a clickable link to the commercial.

Even though I am guilty of using them, labels can be as misleading as they are helpful. For instance; for a Conservative, I think Kurk's principles would be better described as traits than principles. I agree with most of them but Google says I am really a Classical Liberal.

I think a [c]onservative is almost always a Republican and almost never a Democrat. A [C]onservative is almost always an Independent, but sometimes they can be a Republican or a Democrat.

A [C]onservative will take good ideas from either side of the aisle, a [c]onservative will almost never adopt a Democrat idea.

There is more, but the capital "C" vs the lower "c" is a distinction of my own creation. So maybe the difference only works for me. *shrug"

GA

1. tsmog profile image85

I will remember about images being links in the future. Thanks!

I appreciate answering my inquiry regarding [C] onservative as I have seen you using it in the past. I kinda' think it describes me. I will now have to do some research what a 'Classical Liberal' is. I feel at this moment it might be relatable to the founding fathers. Thanks for sharing that info.

As I said I have been closely following this forum since about 2015 mainly to learn about politics. Where better than HubPages, right? From it I am led on a journey of research to better understand the issues. I hope to participate more in the future.

3. abwilliams profile image67
      abwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This was one of my favorite commercials, along with the Budweiser commercials. They are always winners.

IMHO...

Conservatives make up the right (not the far right, not the fringe right) and they spread out or bleed into, the middle (no further than right of center for now) I believe this side of the political spectrum is expanding and is more inclusive than ever before. The left side has become too exclusive (I am being nice) and as the right expands and grows, they {the left} will be squeezed out.

BUT, have they {the left} acquired too much power for it to matter?

4. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

GA

The middle, as geographically expressed as the mindset of those who reside in the prairies of Kansas, or otherwise found in my vision as "American Gothic" is not my idea of the "center". But, again, from where I stand on most political and cultural matters, I may not be the best judge. I believe that in an increasingly diverse society, "Kansas" today is not it.

I took it as an illustrative metaphor, not the "American Gothic" geographical definition you took it to be. Although the mental image portrayed by that graphic image does ring a bell for me.

But we do agree on one thing, I also don't think you are the best judge for this point either. ;-)

However, from our past discussions, when the conversation beyond the hyperbole and rhetoric, I have found you to be not so far Left as you claim.

GA

1. Credence2 profile image78

It's a warm and comforting all American jingle, reminding me of the "Like a Rock" Chevy Truck ads, years ago.

So who is the best judge of where the middle is? Surely you are not self-appointing yourself the epitome of the 'middle of the road' ? You still have a lot more red that may place you a bit off center even if you cannot recognize it. I understand that the Kansas example may be more a philosophical rather than a geographic point, I get it.

No, I am not the wide eyed leftist of AOC, or the Molotov cocktail anarchist, but I lie considerably to your left, while still roughly within the mainstream of reason. But, there is a point of a "bridge too far" even for me, believe it or not.

Of course, I am making myself the judge of where the middle is. Aren't you too? As for my "red," yep, purple will always have red and blue components. I am just trying to add some definition to the vagueness of understanding what "Purple" means.

As for you having some "bridge too far" issues, yep, I can believe that. I frequently see a ghostly red glimmer hovering behind some of your "Blue" proclamations. ;-)

GA

5. Sharlee01 profile image80
      Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Chryslers always have greatly memorable commercials.  Have a listen to this one from super bowl 2012. Same message nine years later.  So what do you think?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iXdsvgpwc8

So, how far have we come? 

Both commercials had similar messages, nice sentiments. Would have been a bit more believable if they used another actor. An actor that really straddles the "middle".Although the commercial evoked several thoughts. You might know I am a sponge for context, and sometimes read things differently than most. So, I will stop by saying --- I totally agree with your statement    " but it will forever be the Middle that pushes America forward."

Great lesson, but one must be willing to open that book. I love that you hold on to optimism. Very healthy attitude. (being serious)

The Eastwood commercial was a good catch. I liked it too. I think the progression to the Springstein commercial shows things are getting worse.

GA

1. Sharlee01 profile image80

Eastwood showed a city (Detriot coming back) Cup half full.   Bruse showed an empty glass.

Yes, the Eastwood commercial did come across as more optimistic.

GA

6. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Gus, let's us go beyond liberal & conservative & into logic & analysis.   Let us use inductive & deductive logic regarding sociocultural & socioeconomic politics.  Let us not be so elementary in our sociopolitical stance but be functioning, evolved mature individuals who can see the positive & negative in all sides & act accordingly.   No one is fully liberal or fully conservative but many of us are amalgamation of both.  While we walk, I am watching the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.  I am into World War II documentaries.  Last night I watched Nicholas & Alexandra on Amazon Prime Video.

Last night I watched Nicholas & Alexandra on Amazon Prime Video.

You saw that? Wasn't the execution of the entire family dastardly?

1. gmwilliams profile image85

It was evil in its purest form.   I watched a documentary on youtube regarding the Tsars & Russia.  The documentary stated that many tsars had such an end.  I remember Count Witte stating to those in the war room that not one in that room would survive World War I and that this war would create fanatics.  That was a prophetic statement.  World War I created an Adolf Hitler, the greatest fanatic.

We certain seem to have similar hobbies.  I watched a three hour eminent historians view on the "Reconstruction" period,  then you tubed over to an interesting documentary on the mind games played between Hitler and Stalin from the period beginning with their 1939 non-aggression pact up till Hitler's attack on Soviet Russia in 1941.

Isn't the technology marvelous?

1. gmwilliams profile image85

Yes it is indeed.  Oh yes, Hitler and Stalin played mindgames over Poland & parts of Eastern Europe.  Hitler was really playing Stalin for the former wanted living room or the German, lebensraum for the German & see Russia as the perfect land for living space.   Hitler was using Stalin then he turned on Stalin and invaded Russian on June 22, 1941- the ultimate political chess game.   Hitler & Stalin matched each other pound for pound.  The Russian-German War in 1941 was no holds barred.   

Hitler secretly hated Stalin for the latter represented Communism which he detested.  Hitler viewed the Russians & other Slavs as inferiors, only fit to be enslaved for the German cause.   There are so many documentaries on the Russian-German War.  The best one is War of the Century by BBC.

This documentary showed Stalin to be a better tactician than Hitler, who basically was moved to fulfill what he wrote in Mein Kamph, strategic not tactical thinking. Stalin saw Britain and America as playing him for a sucker using the threat of Hitler to manipulate him. He did not think that Hitler would be rash enough to attack the Soviet Union without first subduing Great Britain, creating a two front War. Stalin was unprepared when War came but it could have been considered to be Hitler's biggest blunder of WWII.

Those BBC documentaries are first class, no doubt.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

Grace I just don't have the energy to go to the places you want to "let us go" to. But I will go far enough to say you are right about this:

"No one is fully liberal or fully conservative but many of us are amalgamation of both.

GA

"no one is fully liberal or conservative but ALL of us are amalgamations of both."

Human nature makes it highly unlikely that one find a pure blue or red identity. But those that have a strong mix of one hue as opposed to one with a predominant other hue is where the contention lies. A lot like the concept of genetics and varied combinations of possible outcomes

1. Sharlee01 profile image80

So agree with your comment.

7. tsmog profile image85

I said I wound ponder if it represents the middle. I watched again this morning, listened, and looked for my gut reaction. I saw Christianity introduced then moved toward an old, tired man who happened to be a cowboy. I easily related being an old, tired worker myself.The flag brought a sense of patriotism.That is what I got from the visualization. Not so much the middle since it may center on individualism rather than collectivism, yet projecting unity with the flag.

The verbal message to me brought more context to it being centered on the middle. I related it to the old, tired cowboy saying come on stop fighting and get things done. And, saying throughout our history we have always overcome our differences and moved forward. That to me represented the middle.

Anyway, that is how I felt about the commercial. Overall I kinda' felt there was a plea from a tired, old cowboy to meet at the middle with a church social thrown in who happen to drive a Jeep ;-)

That is also about how I felt after watching it. Like you, I interpreted the imagery as symbolic—intended to appeal to a specific audience, rather than referencing the specific image portrayal.

To me: the sign and small chapel represented Middle Americans, not the extremes, the cowboy represented hard-working Americans, the road was the past we have survived and the future we have to work for, and the Jeep made me think of America's WWII greatness and values—a time when we truly pulled together as a nation.

Of course, I like the verbal message too.

GA

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago

This video didn't move me. I've watched it three times now. I think I just don't see Kansas and masculine/pickup truck/cowboy hat imagery as very representative of what "the middle" surely must be in as diverse a country as ours.

1. abwilliams profile image67

What I find interesting is that I, personally, liked the commercial, but listening to talk radio today (the right side of the dial of course smile) many Conservatives do not concur.
      Springsteen is not a fan of Trump {surprise, surprise} and after playing a part in the constant divisiveness over the past four years, he now wants us to bury the hatchet, unite once more, drive a jeep and sing Kumbaya.
      I get it!
      I just liked the commercial, I like old jeeps and visiting the little church, highlighted in the commercial, is now on my bucket list.

That perspective may be due to a misunderstanding of terms. The radio shows you mention are not [C]conservative as I am pushing the definition. I would say they, and you, are more [c]conservatives, as in Republican [c]conservatives.

I have made multiple comment attempts to push this definition difference. Maybe you have seen one or two of them?

GA

That perspective may be due to a misunderstanding of terms. The radio shows you mention are not [C]conservative as I am pushing the definition. I would say they, and you, are more [c]conservatives, as in Republican [c]conservatives.

I have made multiple comment attempts to push this definition difference. Maybe you have seen one or two of them?

Here is an example from a comment to tsmog"

"I think a [c]onservative is almost always a Republican and almost never a Democrat. A [C]onservative is almost always an Independent, but sometimes they can be a Republican or a Democrat.

A [C]onservative will take good ideas from either side of the aisle, a [c]onservative will almost never adopt a Democrat idea.

There is more, but the capital "C" vs the lower "c" is a distinction of my own creation. So maybe the difference only works for me. *shrug*"

GA

I don't see that many conservatives with a capital C that are truly politically neutral and non-partisan. You may very well represent the passenger pigeon, in your description of yourself and people like you.

But, you are right about one thing, that distinction does seem to work for you.

That capital "C" Conservative isn't politically neutral or non-partisan, they are just not chained to either concept.

I am not either one of those. I lean more Republican than Democrat and if I must face a partisan issue, I usually go with the Republican stance. But I am not married to any party or political ideology. And I don't think I am like the Passenger Pidgeon. I think Middle America hides a lot of us.

I don't want to open an abortion discussion, but just as an example; a Republican conservative thinks abortion is murder and should never be allowed—except to save the life of the mother. A Democrat liberal thinks abortion is a life choice of the mother only and should not be restricted. A Conservative thinks abortion is bad and shouldn't be the choice made, but they also think that since it isn't their life, it isn't their choice to make. So we can accept semi-restricted abortion choices.

Now, if that description of abortion stances doesn't work for anyone, just disagree and let it go. I am only illustrating a point, not making a proclamation.

GA

2. abwilliams profile image67

Clever. I can go along with it. AB [c] wink
            What I found interesting about PP's response, she didn't like the commercial, but should have, I shouldn't have liked it, but did.
            We are unique individuals with individual tastes, but today, we are defined by our politics and as a result, we never really 'get to know' one another. Getting off subject, maybe that's a good topic for another day.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

Try it one more time, but look at the imagery as metaphors for values instead of specific representations.

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)