Congress sends $1.9 trillion pandemic relief package to Biden's desk

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago

House lawmakers Wednesday gave final approval to President Biden's $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package, sending the legislation to his desk for his signature. The White House says Biden plans to sign it on Friday.

"This legislation is about giving the backbone of this nation — the essential workers, the working people who built this country, the people who keep this country going — a fighting chance," Biden said in a statement Wednesday.

The House voted 220-211 with no Republicans voting in favor of the bill, despite calls for bipartisan support from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and other Democratic leaders.

One Democrat, Rep. Jared Golden, voted against the bill, citing concerns over changes to the legislation from the Senate.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/10/97503032 … ef-package

This consequential legislation is supported by the overwhelming majority of Americans. Even the majority of Republicans support it.

My question: Why didn't a single GOP legislator vote for it?

https://hubstatic.com/15454223_f1024.jpg

1. Kyler J Falk profile image90
      Kyler J Falkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Was this, "overwhelming majority of Americans," able to vote on the passing of this bill on to the executive branch? A bit of an obtuse statement from my perspective, as I doubt even an overwhelming minority have even read the thing, lol.

None of them signed it because they got stiffed on their demands, and they wanted to make a political statement. Same poop, different day and party.

To put it as you would, so astutely: Yawn.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, well, there is this imperfect but useful thing called polling which gives us a pretty good idea of what people think about specific issues, and polling shows even the majority of Republicans support the legislation. As for reading the bill, is that really necessary? If so, we're in trouble. lol

The point is, at least some of those GOP legislators voted against their own constituents' wishes.

And, yeah, I understand it's just the same old politics.

1. Kyler J Falk profile image90
          Kyler J Falkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

"As for reading the bill, is that really necessary? If so, we're in trouble."

You've summed up American politics as a whole perfectly.

1. Ken Burgess profile image77
            Ken Burgessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

My sentiments exactly.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Because it is an exceedingly poor piece of legislation, serving primarily to fund a Democrat wish list.  Actual aid to Americans that need it is minimal, a small percentage of the total.

The bigger question is why Democrats voted to give our hard earned money to illegal aliens, to incarcerated prisoners, to those making $75,000 per year, to foreign countries, to parents that never missed a day of work, etc. etc.

1. profile image0

"Actual aid to Americans that need it is minimal, a small percentage of the total."

Really?

https://hubstatic.com/15454333.jpg

1. wilderness profile image95

Perhaps I should have been clearer: the "relief bill" helps Americans from the economic ravages of the pandemic only minimally.

The rest is pork to give away more billions to individuals that did not have any particular problem and to corporations, countries and other entities.

(What percentage of those $1400 checks are going to people still out of work because of the pandemic and what percentage will go to those that never were laid off or are back to work now? How much of those checks will go to non-Americans and how much to incarcerated prisoners?  What percentage of farm help will go to farms shut down because of the pandemic?  What percentage of the disaster relief will go to those suffering ONLY from the pandemic, not hurricanes, floods, etc.?  What percentage of people getting the $300 extra unemployment are unable to go to work because their job is not there and how many will get it because they have refused work or refused to find work? Why are we paying for child care for working people, or why are we paying it to people that are at home?  What "vital businesses" have shut down from the pandemic and will now get money?  You get the picture, I'm sure.)

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
            Castlepalomaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

US now has spent 5.5 trillion dollars on the Covid.
            World war two cost 4 billion and they did not shut down the economy.

I can see all the Covid war and horror movies. That we can all stay home and watch forever.

Movies like
            Very sick nation.
            Saving Private Cancer and Heart.
            Ghosts
            A Fear Story

And my favorite
            Can't get enough of that vaccine

2. profile image0

Anybody can type question after question without offering any substance.

Well, the questions were designed to make you think about your implied claim that only Americans that need help from the pandemic are receiving any money.

Did you do so?  Did you decide that only Americans out of work from the pandemic are going to receive the checks, or did you realize that the large majority of those checks are going to foreign citizens, inmates and people that had no need of help because they worked right through?  Did you realize that those "vital businesses" getting help never shut down because they were a "vital business"?

1. profile image0

"....implied claim that only Americans that need help from the pandemic are receiving any money."

Really? Where did I imply this?

This, and your entire response is just more fluff from you.

I would say that your meme made it pretty plain, as well as your objection to my statement of the opposite.  Between the two I assumed you believe most of the pandemic relief bill goes to those suffering from the pandemic - was I wrong?

1. profile image0

Now, that is a different statement from the one I took issue with, which is "an implied claim that only Americans that need help from the pandemic are receiving any money."

3. Credence2 profile image78
            Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

It has got to be better than the GOP solution: nothing at all....

2. Ken Burgess profile image77
        Ken Burgessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It reminds me of a non-profit I used to work for.

the CEO got a nice six figure salary, the COO the same, we had plenty of extravagant outings with top notch food where we celebrated the good in the community we were doing.

Then there were the new vehicles for the agency, the new building bought, the new office furniture and computers, the salaries we all enjoyed,

And on a rare occasion, a small amount of money was spent on folks in need, but not very often, and not in any life altering way.

3. Sharlee01 profile image81
      Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

interesting topic IMO.

I would agree polls show the majority of Americans supported the need for another stimulus bill. A bill that was geared around COVID relief. Polls indicated just that. One must consider what questions were asked, and then the demographics broke down to indicate the public opinion on several aspects of the bill. Pew seemed to do a good job breaking down.

For example, while more than a quarter of lower-income Republicans (27%) say the proposed spending in the aid package is too little, just 11% of middle-income and 6% of upper-income Republicans say the same. Fully 81% of upper-income Republicans say the proposed spending in the economic aid package is too much, a view held by 42% of lower-income Republicans.

Similarly, lower-income Democrats (42%) are more than twice as likely as upper-income Democrats (20%) to say that spending is too little. Still, half or more Democrats across income levels say the level of spending is about right.

Although a 57% majority of Republicans say they oppose the proposed stimulus bill, there is a substantial ideological divide within the GOP: Roughly seven-in-ten conservative Republicans (69%) say they oppose the economic package, while the balance of opinion is reversed among moderate and liberal Republicans, 61% of whom say they favor the aid bill.

Democrats (56%) say spending for the bill is about right, with a third saying it is too little and just 11% saying it is too much. In contrast, most Republicans (61%) say the bill is spending too much.

Reflecting the income pattern among all Americans, within both partisan groups, those with lower incomes are more likely than those with higher incomes to say the proposed spending on the economic bill is not enough.

Just trying to make the point polls are only as good as the questions asked.

If more read the bill which is tedious and over 500 pages they would see it is full of non-COVID related spending. The media did not do the pork justice. However, at this point water under the bridge.

Many citizens are not aware that money from previous Stimulus bills has not been spent.

I supported the NEED  for this new stimulus package, as I did with the others. I did not support any of the bill spendings as alligated in each bill. So, if a person called me for my opinion, and asked me --- do you support the need for the new stimulus bill, I would have said yes.  If they asked if I supported the non-COVID expenditures, I would have said no...  I have not been able to find a poll that asked my last question.  Makes me wonder how many citizens would support the bill if they knew what was in it.

Pew poll broke down into demographics.
      https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 … -too-much/

4. Credence2 profile image78

And these are the people with whom "we are supposed to work across the isle", regarding?

2. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 3 years ago

By Wilderness' logic, not many of the people in the first or second stimulus package needed the money either.  Anyone remember him complaining back then?  Got to love the partisan outrage.

1. profile image0

Like I said somewhere else, I never cease to be amazed at the angst some feel when regular people get  a break from the government, but more freebies and tax breaks for billionaires? Yeah, baby!

You seem to forget that those "breaks from the government" is actually money taken from your neighbors.  And from your children, albeit payable in a few years.

But yes, the first two relief packages also went mostly to people that didn't need it.  Sadly, many of those that DID need it very badly (notably small businesses) could not get anything.  Par for the course from government.

Is the rationale that because we bought something from a billionaire, or bailed out the banking system, from the pockets of your kids that we should next give more money away to those that don't need it, again from the pockets of your children?

1. profile image0

No, wilderness, one is completely unrelated to the other.

You're right - the first was at least a semi-honest effort to help those hurting from the pandemic and an effort to jump start the economy back up.  The second is primarily a method to give money away at the expense of our children.

But they are related in that both carried the same basic name of COVID relief.

1. Credence2 profile image78

You are making a distinction between the two pandemic relief programs that you really can't support beyond it being your own opinion.

Again, you're right - I can't support that most of the checks are going to people that did not suffer financial hardship from the pandemic.

But the figures can.  If you bother to put just a moments thought into them.

1. Credence2 profile image78

Your could make that case the first time the checks were issued, so what is the difference?

1. Valeant profile image86
                    Valeantposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Now they need something to vent their performative outrage on.  Same packaging their leadership passed as they added $7.9 trillion in debt during the last four years.  All it would take is a moment's thought to not be in denial about it.

3. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 3 years ago

The Right:  I'm outraged that the government is giving people free money.
    Also The Right:  I'm outraged the government takes so much of our hard-earned money.
    The Government:  Here take some of your money back.
    The Right:  That's pork!

Here's a thought:

To all the people complaining about $1,400 to individuals being pork.  Just think of it as a tax cut.  As you say, it was our money to start with, now the government is just giving it back to us.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

They take too much of our money and give us crumbs back. Because big private corporations can print trillions of dollar and sit on it, and hardly nobody cares

4. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 3 years ago

Covid is claimed a war, so covid is a new war tactics against its own people . This nationalism is extremely traumatizing for most everyone and covid living too. Pass US President calling poor people or race or religion an evil. Then approved by its public then they to go over their country and murder millions of them. Leaving the most traumatized person a President as the exsape goat.
    Leftists and the Democratic Party use ridicule all the time to shame their opponents instead of responding to issues. Conservatives, Republicans, and the Right should do the same, but better. Don't set me up on Ethier side, for I am an anarchist to this type of Government, Iam more of a holistic approach. I have been learning a lot about the Left and its tactics in shaming conservatives, Republicans, and anyone who resists certain cultural changes at the expense of others.

"Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It's hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage."

Its unfair for all of us, meanwail the system has created maddness for most and moving in towards slavery. You will find the pendulum must swing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)