Virginia Bathroom Case

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Valeant profile image87
    Valeantposted 13 months ago

I seem to remember the narrative from the right-wing members of this site about the case.  Actual testimony in the case:

On Monday, the teenage victim of the Stone Bridge assault testified that she and her attacker had agreed to meet up in a school bathroom around 12:15 p.m. on the date of the assault. She testified they had not explicitly discussed having sex beforehand.

The teen testified she arrived first and chose to go in the girls’ bathroom because the two had always met in the girls’ bathrooms in the past. When the boy arrived, the teen testified, he came into the handicapped stall she was in and locked the door.

The two talked, before the girl testified the boy began grabbing her neck and other parts of her body in a sexual manner. She testified she told her attacker she was not in the mood for sex, but he forced himself on her.

The right's theme was this was some kind of surprise attack.  Second, Loudoun County does have transgender-inclusive bathroom policies in schools. But they weren’t in place when the assault happened on May 28. The school board did not even approve it until Aug. 11.

As usual, the actual facts of the case do not match up with the arguments made by the people here.

1. Live to Learn profile image59
      Live to Learnposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Are you, in some manner, attempting to justify or downplay the rape of a minor?

Valeantposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Stupid question.

1. Live to Learn profile image59
          Live to Learnposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Because you want someone to think you have a serious point to make in the OP? Frankly, I don't see it. I see the original post that started this thread as pathetic and politically motivated; attempting to turn the conversation from what it should be about. Two girls attacked, while a school attempted to hide the facts.

And I believe you to be just like many other far-right people here, talking without a fact basis to support your opinion.  That someone on this site presented the case as a boy in a skirt hiding in a bathroom and then attacking another student because there was a policy in place that allowed him in there.

None of those conclusions were true in the way the case was presented.  And of course you don't understand why its important to correct false narratives about the trans community - you love your blanket stereotypes. 

I have multiple family members in that community, so just like the attempts to bring you all back to reality from your belief in the big lie, some of us might want to try and educate you on being less bigoted towards that community by understanding the actual testimony in the case and how it differs from the right-wing narratives you're being fed.

2. Sharlee01 profile image83
      Sharlee01posted 13 months agoin reply to this

What facts have been misrepresented?  Perhaps what Superintendent Ziegler did to hide the rape incident,  that resulted in a  rape of a second girl at another school?

This is the story that just keeps on giving ---- You left out this heartbreaking information a statement  --- Juvenile records are sealed, but Smith’s attorney Elizabeth Lancaster told The Daily Wire that a boy was charged with two counts of forcible sodomy – one count of anal sodomy and one count of forcible fellatio – related to an incident that day at that school...  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/loudou … l-assault.

Not sure what thread you are referring to?  You need to provide the conversation you refer to. Plus this entire incident goes much deeper than the rape, it also involves the allegations that Superintendent Scott Ziegler
      lied to cover up the rape due to working to be unrestricted bathroom privileges for students. 

A member of the Loudoun County School Board in Virginia has joined concerned parents and students in calling for the resignation of Superintendent Scott Ziegler in the wake of an email that surfaced last week.

In an exclusive statement to Fox News, John Beatty, the Catoctin District member of the board, accused Ziegler of "withholding information for political gain" when it came to an alleged sexual assault against a female student in a girls restroom on May 28.

"I believe no updates were given because the superintendent was working to aggressively pass a policy that would have allowed unrestricted access of biological males to female restrooms," Beatty wrote. "He didn’t provide information because if it came out that there was an assault in the bathroom, the transgender policy wouldn’t have passed."

And Ziegler's decision to transfer this rapist to another school resulted in a second raped. The rapist was found guilty, and now awaits a trial on the second rape. Not sure if Ziegler resigned...  He may still be on the job.
      https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin … top-lying.

It was represented as some boy in a skirt hiding in the bathroom then attacking a girl.  And that there was already a policy in place allowing the boy to be in there.

None of those representations were true at all.

1. Sharlee01 profile image83

It is clear that the policy of unrestricted bathrooms was not as of yet confirmed as a school policy. And when this story broke, I did not note anyone bringing up the fact that it was or was not a policy. It was widely reported the boy had a skirt on.  And when the "boy" a well as the girl was questioned they both claimed he was wearing a skirt.

We know now  Superintendent Ziegler was pushing to insert the unrestricted bathroom policy, and the rape, which pretty much resulted in a pissed-off Dad getting arrested, and a second girl being raped. He has been asked to resign. And he should be removed due to his dishonesty.
          https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/loca … e161cae069

Consider this my opinion ---  There are many Americans that feel we don't want to share our bathrooms with anyone other than our biological gender.

We have rights too...  I would suppose if we as a society all need to have our voices heard on the subject, and it is brought to vote. As I said we all have rights, no one needs to be ignored, in America. We have a democracy a system of government in which the people have the authority to deliberate and decide legislation.

I am not willing to give up my right to a form of privacy, and dignity when I enter a bathroom.

As usual, you miss the point.  It's not the skirt that was being argued, but that the boy in the skirt was hiding out waiting to attack a girl.  And pretty sure the policy that came in later was mentioned as being a factor in the original statement.

I agree that there could be better solutions to this issue than we currently have.  Making a small minority of the population comfortable at the expense of the majority's comfort should also be taken into consideration.

But I also do not believe that the narrative than men or boys are using this issue in a predatory fashion, as was intimated in this case, is the truth either.

I must say I had not read anything in regard to the boy hiding in the bathroom. I looked around and could not find that statement. Perhaps you could provide that statement.  I noted this statement in your OP -- "The right's theme was this was some kind of surprise attack"

Again I ask that you offer the thread that seemed to give you this opinion.
              I have not located a thread on the subject.

I respect gender diversity, I also respect those of us that hope to keep bathrooms private to biological gender. I would think the solution of Trans bathrooms would solve the problem in schools. However, this is still America, we rule by the majority do we not? I would guess a majority would prefer to keep a Man's bathroom and a Women's bathroom. We can appoint new laws or policies, but I feel we need to stick to the majority rule. Our society is changing, yet we need to keep our democracy intact IMO.

I don't feel anyone should be pointed out as a preditor due to their gender choice.  here is an article where an elementary teacher took her class on a field trip to a very well know Gay Bar.  This to me is in the same vein. In this case, a teacher makes the decision to take children to a gay bar. I would assume parents were aware of this trip and had the right to not sign the permission slip.  In this case, it appears a majority of parents saw no problem. I am not sure about the permission slips I am assuming they were required.
              https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-scho … ts-gay-bar

I am sure some parents kept their children home that day, and that's their right. In the case of unisex bathrooms, it would seem the school board had hoped to make that decision for parents. The feelings of parents were not considered. The majority may still be the best way to handle most decisions in regard to one's children in school. Whether it be a field trip or bathrooms.  Hopefully, I made my point without insulting anyone.

3. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 13 months agoin reply to this

After reading the last few responses in this thread I decided to butt in. *shrug

I was unaware of this incident, (maybe I had peripherally heard something), so after a quick look-around, your description seems accurate—concerning the event  However, the following thread comments prompted me to look around a bit.

It's the skirt. I say that accepting the context set for that school's transgender issues and efforts, it seems that maybe the school was unofficially practicing the pending transgender rules. It's only a thought but it might bear on why the boy was wearing the skirt. He knew that he wouldn't be questioned about going into the girls' bathroom. That sounds like a strong probability to me. And if that is right, then it does tie this incident to the transgender "bathrooms" issue.

It was only your claims about the right-wing members of this forum that I couldn't find. But I didn't look hard. A brief look at recent threads and a peek in the archives.

Where did this stuff about "the right's theme" and "surprise attack" come from?

Also, your own description immediately ties this incident, (and the "right-wing"), to the larger transgender issue —via the transgender bathroom side issue. And when a look-around reveals the context of the "bathrooms" issue at that school, (district?), those details firmly the two issues. Why do you think they aren't linked?

GA

'Where did this stuff about "the right's theme" and "surprise attack" come from?'

It came from a generalization that a boy in a skirt attacked a girl in the girl's bathroom and her father had been arrested at a school board meeting.  No mention that they had planned to meet there, no mention that there was no policy in place allowing trans students to use bathrooms based on their gender identification at the time. 

The boy was found guilty recently and the school will likely pay a hefty sum for allowing the boy to transfer to another school where he assaulted another student in an empty classroom.

1. GA Anderson profile image89

I hadn't followed closely enough. I didn't know her father had been arrested. What generalization do you mean, and what does her father's arrest have to do with it?

Also, do you think mentioned reason the boy might be wearing the skirt has any support?

GA

There is a lot more to this story. It actually has a timeline that reaches back to May when a girl met a boy in a girl's bathroom, they have been reported to be acquainted, and rumors have spread via media they had a sexual relationship. The girl gave testimony that she told the boy she did not want sex and claims he forced himself on her. It has been reported the boy had on a shirt, both the girl and the boy said he was wearing a skirt.

June 2021 -- Father arrested at board meeting while making accusations his daughter was raped and sodomized in a bathroom at school.  He was yelling and was dragged out and arrested. ( he became the poster boy that was shown frequently via media, and it was insinuated that parents were becoming threats to board members and teachers).

Immediately before Mr. Smith‘s arrest at the school board meeting, Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) Superintendent Scott Ziegler claimed that “the predator transgender student or person simply does not exist.” He said that to his knowledge “we don’t have any record of assaults occurring in our restrooms,” according to the report. ( the parents did report the assault, and were told it would be handled).

The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office confirmed to the news site that there was a May 28 report that listed an “Offense: Forcible Sodomy [and] Sexual Battery” at Stone Bridge High School.  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 … -sexual-a/

Aug  2021 ---  Virginia school board approves rights extension for transgender, gender-expansive students --  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/edu … 117831002/

Parents began to protest policies on transgender rights in public schools and the fact they were lied to in regard to a rape taking place in a school bathroom. Many felt the incident was hidden to push the new transgender policies.   Sept 2021  -- https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2021/09 … -board-hq/

The suspect was arrested two months after the sheriff’s office launched an investigation, and convicted.

In my view, rape can take place anywhere that the rapist feels he won't be caught. I am not on board with having unisex bathrooms in school or anywhere, I like my privacy.  But it well appears this couple was having a sexual relationship, and she refused on that day, and the boy forced himself on her --- that is rape.

So, it seems this entire incident grew legs, that ended up with a rape being hidden, and parents discovering they were lied to.  (The boy was transferred to another public school and raped another girl, he presently is awaiting trial on that assault.)

Thanks, Sharlee. I am still left to wonder why the boy was wearing a skirt. It seems obvious he wasn't authentically transgender.

My thought that he wore it so he wouldn't be questioned going into the girls' bathroom seems the most logical explanation. We would know more if we could find out if there was an unofficial transgender policy prior to the actual passing of the rules. That also seems the most logical probability to me.

I think claiming that this isn't related to the transgender issue and blaming the public controversy on conservatives is a dangerous position that has, and will, backfire.

GA

I have not found anything on the skirt issue other than the girl and the boy did say he was wearing a skirt.  I believe the girl's attorney made that claim. At this point, it would be hard to determine why this boy was wearing a skirt.  On a serious note, perhaps he just thought it was a fashion statement or he is confused about his gender.

I have followed this entire mess... Where this case became messy is when the lying occurred, and they ran up against the wrong dad.
                Virginia has pursued transgender rights in regards to bathrooms, and policies have been set that give transgenders rights to use any bathroom they people.

And no it is not only conservative parents that are unhappy about these new policies. Left and right parents are up in arms.in regard to the new bathroom rules in their kid's schools.  There have been protests from the time these policies were passed, and are going on almost daily. I will go out on a limb to say these policies would not appeal to conservatives.

I am sure you are aware the NSBA wrote a letter to Biden. However, it has been discovered the White House helped with the letter weeks before it was sent. It has been reported the White House aid suggested examples of what occurred at a given protest be included in the letter. So,  Biden then receives the letter and then requests the DOJ look into it. The DOJ asks the FBI to have a look...  The NSBA withdraw their concern and apologize for the letter... It gets better, AG Garland is requested to answer questions before congress last week. And oh well, I will keep my opinion about that to myself. This seems to me to be another political grift that went astray.
                https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white- … mails-show

So, should this all backfire, it should, but it will it?  It would seem we can't depend on common sense much anymore.

Sorry to go a bit off subject, but this was relevant. The dad Mr. Smith has been used as the poster boy for a rightwing dad gone berserk. When it appears he was just caught up in a cheap political grift. He was in the right time and place to be used.

I did see the news about NSBA and White house staff communications. However, the only detail I have seen documented is that the WH staffers requested specifics about the public meetings incidents the NSBA listed.

I haven't seen any statements that the staffers helped compose the letter. But I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved.

Your mention of this is relevant. It ties in with the anti-conservative mantra about stick-in-the-mud stuck-in-the-past Republicans. The equally angry Liberal parents will just be discounted and not talked about.
                  GA

I should have not used the word help composed. ( I will correct the statement)  Although a representative from the NSBA did in some capacity request help from the White House to help with the letter.   I did check a few articles, and you are correct it has been reported and aid asked that specific examples of threats and disorderly conduct be added to the letter.

At any rate, I think the White House wants to put this behind them. Parents are mad, about so many things... And thankfully in my view, they are making themselves heard. As a rule with peaceful protests, that sometimes get very loud.
                    https://www.foxnews.com/us/loudoun-supe … inia-beach

A lot going on in Louden County. and after reading a bit it well appears some are trying to point to people that lean right for the protests. Loudin County is very heavily Democratic and has been for a very long time. Biden pulled over 60% of the vote.

I must wonder if this Tue we will see a Republican win, stepping on people's rights don't win elections. This will be an interesting race to watch.

2. IslandBites profile image90
                IslandBitesposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Not that I know his reasons, but this might come as a surprise to you.

https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/image … rth-trying

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 … orm-policy

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl … 87321.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-40364632

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/fashion/08cross.html

Btw, if they wanted to be alone in a bathroom, as they did multiple times before, I dont think the skirt matter. I supposed they waited until there was no one there.

Well hell, the boy must have been protesting a school dress code, right?

Or, maybe he was a cutting-edge fashionista? My perception of a mindset that would do what he did in the bathroom doesn't give much credence to that thought.

From the description that a specific time was picked, (not just hanging around until the coast was clear), I still think camouflage was the more probable reason for the skirt.

I get the point of your links but they didn't convince me the fashion statement explanation is the more probable one.

GA

2. abwilliams profile image70
    abwilliamsposted 13 months ago

Boys shouldn't be in girls bathrooms (.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)