Three U.S. Service Members Were KILLED And 25 Others Were INJURED

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image79
    Sharlee01posted 3 months ago

Last I knew this was a political forum.  So, let's talk politics.

https://hubstatic.com/16894231.jpg

Is there anyone out there ready to dig into the complexities of my equation? The political dimension it unfolds, exploring all the 'what could haves' and even entertaining 'what should have been' before this gut-wrenching tragedy unfolded. It's crystal clear that we're facing a tragedy, and I'm putting it out there for anyone reading to acknowledge the weight of it.

I'm eager to gather perspectives on the factors leading up to this tragedy. Could there have been actions taken to prevent it? So, let's momentarily step away from the sorrow surrounding this horrifying event and delve into the unfiltered politics at play. I've presented a straightforward equation encapsulating my viewpoint. Now, I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Do you believe better decision-making could have averted this tragedy?

Weak none effective President =
    Poor decision-making =
    Ignoring crisis =

Three U.S. service members were KILLED and 25 others were INJURED in a drone attack on an outpost in northeast Jordan near the Syria border, U.S. Central Command confirmed on Sunday.

"On Jan. 28, three U.S. service members were killed and 25 injured from a one-way attack UAS that impacted at a base in northeast Jordan, near the Syria border. As a matter of respect for the families and in accordance with DoD policy, the identities of the servicemembers will be withheld until 24 hours after their next of kin have been notified," CENTCOM said.

"Updates will be provided as they become available," it added. FOX NEWS

My political view -   WHAT THE HELL NEXT? No one at the helm

2. Sharlee01 profile image79
    Sharlee01posted 2 months ago

latest update ---  Jan 28, 2024   COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — President Joe Biden said Sunday that the U.S. “shall respond” after three American troops were killed and dozens more were injured in an overnight drone strike in northeast Jordan near the Syrian border. Biden blamed Iran-backed militias for the first U.S. fatalities after months of strikes by such groups against American forces across the Middle East since the start of the Israel-Hamas war.

Biden, who was traveling in South Carolina, asked for a moment of silence during an appearance at a Baptist church's banquet hall.

“We had a tough day last night in the Middle East. We lost three brave souls in an attack on one of our bases," he said. After the moment of silence, Biden added, “and we shall respond.”

With an increasing risk of military escalation in the region, U.S. officials were working to conclusively identify the precise group responsible for the attack, but they have assessed that one of several Iranian-backed groups was behind it.

Biden said in a written statement that the United States “will hold all those responsible to account at a time and in a manner (of) our choosing.” Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said "we will take all necessary actions to defend the United States, our troops, and our interests.”
    https://www.aol.com/news/biden-three-am … 52176.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-troops- … ers-syria/

1. Willowarbor profile image60
      Willowarborposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I am anxious to see what Biden will decide. Whether he will go after the militant group specifically or he will target Iran more generally.  I am reading wide support of Republican Senators saying we should directly strike Iranian targets and leadership. 

"I am calling on the Biden Administration to strike targets of significance inside Iran, not only as reprisal for the killing of our forces, but as deterrence against future aggression," Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said in a statement.

It would seem that approach would open us up to a full scale war. 

What's the MAGA position on the action that should be taken in response?  I have seen Trump commenting  on truth social that this would have never happened under his leadership but that doesn't tell us anything about what type of leadership / response he would provide in such a situation.  I just find him to be continually short on real, specific answers for anything.

It would be sort of refreshing if he actually put forward a position rather than simply coming out against Biden for whatever position he may take.  Grievance politics feeds his base but independent voters, if he expects to win over any number of them, need real positions.

Sharlee01posted 2 months agoin reply to this

"I am anxious to see what Biden will decide."

Ultimately, the responsibility for this decision rests with him. I believe he should take ownership of his choice, carefully weighing the input from military experts, and ensuring that his decision is grounded in what he believes will endure without engaging in post-decision blame games.

"I urge the Biden Administration to target significant sites within Iran, not just in retaliation for the loss of our forces but as a deterrent against future aggression," Graham stated.

While this approach is undeniably a risky move, the current situation has escalated into a crisis. The question arises: will such a drastic measure be necessary at this point? Reflecting on the past, hindsight may not present a favorable view. We can't ascertain the outcomes if the initial Houthi attacks had been handled differently, and we will never know how Trump might have addressed the issue. Openly asserting that the problem would not have occurred seems imprudent, considering the complex nature of the situation. Not cool

"What stance does MAGA take regarding the appropriate response to this situation?"    ---  I find that it would be challenging to pinpoint a unified viewpoint among MAGA individuals on the crisis. I would presume that individual perspectives vary significantly, considering the emphasis on individuality within the movement.

"It would be somewhat refreshing if he presented a clear stance instead of just opposing whatever position Biden takes."

In light of a political crisis, I shared my somewhat cynical view of my thoughts on this situation. Additionally, I tried to openly prompt others to participate and express their opinions—something you did, and I appreciate that.  In a political forum, there's space for us to engage in debates, share perspectives, and, yes, even express jaded views. (As I admittedly did).   I hope your comment will further the discussion because you offered really good food for thought.

"We can't ascertain the outcomes if the initial Houthi attacks had been handled differently, and we will never know how Trump might have addressed the issue."

How could they have been handled differently? In my view, Biden seem to have a measured approach toward the Houthis.  Stronger action early on could have lead to a larger war?  I do agree that he needs to come back with a stronger response now that we have suffered casualties.  But striking Iranian targets seems a step too far at this point.   It appears that the iranians, themselves, do not want a direct conflict but are willing to expend every last Houthis.  So be it.  They will either reconsider their position or be a significantly damaged. 

But I  also believe that a ceasefire in Gaza will also make a huge difference.  These militant groups are acting out in protest of the war in Gaza.  It's well past the time to end that conflict.  If anyone, single-handedly has done more to upset Middle East peace it is Netanyahu.   

Israel’s deliberate, industrial-scale murder of the Palestinian people under the pretext of “self-defence” or rooting out Hamas  won’t enhance its security or secure its future. Rather, it will produce greater insecurity and instability, further isolate Israel and undermine its chances for long-term survival in a  hostile region.  Almost 30,000 dead, predominantly women and children, this genocidal war is a failure.  Worst of all it has upset Middle East peace. 

Destroying Hamas (as is the current stated objective) is simply unachievable and no substitute for a political solution.  The man needs to go. 

Let me take it back to 2020.  Trump presented a peace plan in January 2020 that was the most favorable proposal for Israel that any U.S. president had made since the Madrid peace conference in 1991.

Trump contended  that one big reason his "ultimate deal" between the Israelis and Palestinians collapsed is that Netanyahu never wanted to make peace.

He stated : "I don't think Bibi ever wanted to make peace,"   I think he just tapped us along. Just tap, tap, tap, you know?".

Nevertheless, like the two predecessors who worked on this issue with Netanyahu, Clinton and Obama, Trump reached the conclusion that Netanyahu never sincerely wanted to negotiate a two-state solution. 

Nothing has changed and now it is Netanyahu that has the Middle East on the verge of war.  Yes, the Houthis need to be put on their place but we also need to put much more pressure on Netanyahu  although I believe he will be ousted by his own people soon.

I appreciate your view, but it remains challenging to ascertain how any other president might have approached the situation differently. It's noteworthy that Trump demonstrated effective control over Iran and achieved notable successes in the Middle East, such as the Abraham Peace Accord. Under his administration, Iran faced significant economic pressure. As well the Irainian people were uprising, and demanding more freedoms.

Contrastingly, the current situation has seen Iran becoming financially robust, actually richer than they have ever been. There is a shared concern about Iran, a nation known for its confrontational stance, now being exceptionally well-funded. This development is indeed alarming.

I think we may be able to agree Iran hopes to wipe out Israel, and they have made no secret about that. They are a warring nation, that in my view, needed to be kept broke and incapable of completing their open threats.

3. Ken Burgess profile image76
    Ken Burgessposted 2 months ago

There is a bit of mis-information regarding this attack on American troops.

Don't believe they were in Jordan, but Syria, where we have no authorization or invite to be.  We haven't declared war or been given approval from Congress to have troops positioned there... but you know, like all such situations, our government sticks troops and agents where it wants, when it wants, without concern to what the laws, national or international, require.

That 'shadow government' conspiracy stuff you hear being discredited all the time.  So anyways, officially it was in Jordan, unofficially and according to Jordan officials (who are they to know what is going on in their country) it wasn't.

Google satellite images show Tower 22 in Jordan.

1. Ken Burgess profile image76
        Ken Burgessposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Yup...

And Jordan officials said it was never attacked, google that.

1. Readmikenow profile image95
          Readmikenowposted 2 months agoin reply to this

What does it matter?

Anybody who has been deployed knows you go where you have to in order to eliminate the enemy and protect US troops.  That means if the mission requires going to the Saudi prince's bathroom...that's where you go.

NOT everything is going to make it into the news. Because of mission security much of the things the US military does is NOT known by the press.

This is the way is has to be.

There are many situations and many things that have been done to protect US soldiers, citizens and allies that people would not like. 

MOST American citizens have NO idea what is necessary to defeat a determined enemy.  I would say the vast majority of Americans are ignorant of the ways of war and warfare.  They have no idea of the sacrifices and danger military people experience around the world to protect them.

I get sick and tired of our military being judged by those who know nothing.

Unless you've worn a uniform and been on a few of these missions...I don't know how you can feel you know enough to judge anything.

[edit]
            It matters because our government seems to be lying.

It is telling us they were attacked in Jordan, the Jordan government, and others, are saying this is not true.

I went and fact checked myself, it seems we are authorized through Congress to be in Syria, so, not sure why there is this conflict of information. 

However, the more lies they tell, for whatever reason, the more everything they say is considered a lie until proven true... this is where the government reputation is at IMO... consider everything they tell you (especially when it comes to foreign affairs) a lie until you can verify it is true.

Senate votes to keep US troops in Syria amid Iran-backed attacks
            https://www.defensenews.com/congress/20 … d-attacks/

"It matters because our government seems to be lying."

New Flash...your government is ALWAYS lying to you.  That is how governments work around the world.  I would bet the only reason you can find information is because there is a reason for such information being released or made available in the media.

Trust me, there is MUCH going on you don't know.

People only find out if they have a "need" to know.

I'm sure you had an experience with that sort of thing.

1. peoplepower73 profile image90
                peoplepower73posted 2 months agoin reply to this

RMN: I agree with you. I worked with the National Security Agency on black box stuff  that didn't even have any nomenclature.  I had a secret clearance with crypto access and worked four levels below the ground at Strategic Command Headquarters in Omaha Nebraska.

They had Air Police stationed at each corridor intersection.  I wore a badged that showed I was cleared for corridor C.  If I even looked like I was going to walk down another corridor they would have come over and questioned me. 

The standing order when working with classified material is, if you don't have a need to know, you don't get squat. That's the way it still is.  That's why Trump as a civilian is in trouble because he did not have a need to know what was in those highly classified documents that he took possession of.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
            Kathleen Cochranposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Readmikenow: "Unless you've worn a uniform and been on a few of these missions...I don't know how you can feel you know enough to judge anything."

Truer words were never posted on this site.

Amen

Take note of the ones in this thread commending and/or noting the necessity for lies and damned lies from our government, these are the same people who will be supporting the Biden Administration's escalations in the Middle East as necessary and warranted, all the while telling us American citizens are too dumb to be informed of the truth.

Didn't learn a damned thing about how corrupt our government is, from our invasions of Iraq, our destruction of Libya and Syria, our allowing Ukraine to be destroyed... Iran is next?  China?

Its not just Biden... but his Administration is by far the most culpable for what is transpiring today in the world, supported by sellouts and lunatics like Graham.

Its sad seeing people support this corrupt, warmongering, lunatic crew running things in DC today.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
                  gmwilliamsposted 2 months agoin reply to this

A second AMEN.

2. Ken Burgess profile image76

I agree.

I would know.

It's a large reason for the perspectives I have and positions I take.

I lost all respect for liberal and the liberal media with how they treated Lt. Col. Allen West.  Do you remember this?

In Iraq, a prisoner had information about a plot of another attack that would take place after one had occurred the previous day.  He interrogated the man and fired his sidearm twice.  Not at the man.  Lt. Col. West then got the information and prevented an attack.

The liberal media got ahold of this story and went crazy.  Lt. Co. West was actually removed from his command.  For what?  Getting information that prevented an attack on US soldiers?  He should have been given a medal.

THIS is a big reason I don't think the media should be permitted near an active hot zone.  They value the enemy over US soldiers fighting the war.

The stupid, ignorant liberals had no idea how badly they had damaged troop morale or emboldened the enemy. They had no idea what damage they had done.

So, it is a good thing that most people don't know everything the US military is doing or has done. 

They worry about the treatment of the enemy and not those US soldiers fighting against them.

2. Willowarbor profile image60

AMMAN — Jordan on Sunday condemned the “terrorist” attack on US troops stationed on an “advanced position” on the borders with Syria.

Minister of Government Communications Muhannad Mubaidin said that three US troops and several others were injured in the drone attack, extending condolences to the United States and families of the victims.

He added that the American troops there are cooperating with the Jordanian Armed Forces in combating terrorism and securing the Kingdom’s borders with Syria.

https://jordantimes.com/news/local/jord … ders-syria

Who are the officials in Jordan  that state the base wasn't attacked?

2. peoplepower73 profile image90
      peoplepower73posted 2 months agoin reply to this

Regarding those three who were killed by a drone strike, they tell you on day one of basic training that your ass is expendable.  Biden reached out to the parents of those killed.  He did not have to do that. It sets a precedent. 

What if there were 100 people killed, does the president contact each of the families?  War is hell and people die on both sides. As far as lying goes during wartime, it is a tactic used to fake out the enemy by releasing information to the public that throws the enemy off course.  It was used by General  Schwarzkopf during the Persian Gulf war and was also used during WWII in the Normandy Invasion. It has been used many times before that and will continued to be used as a military tactic.

4. MG Singh profile image73
    MG Singhposted 2 months ago

One thing that has clearly come out after this incident is that the USA is no longer the master of the world. This is a sad occurrence. but a  historical fact because with three servicemen killed and close to 35 injured is a serious matter and yet the Biden administration is unable to decide what sort of action to take either against Iran, Iraq or the Houthis.
    The decline of American influence can be directly traced to Mohammed Obama, who really did not have the interest of America in his mind. I am allowed to state that he's back in the driving seat because a good friend of mine, who is a member of the Republican party has told me that even now, most of the cabinet of Biden, including general Austin report to Obama.
    Obama has emotionally built in two handicaps, first his sympathy for the Muslims. Considering the fact he spent his early years of education in Madrassa( Muslim school) and his father was a Muslim from Kenya. One can't brush this knowledge under the carpet. Second is the historical treatment of African slaves in America, which was worse than  dogs and cattle they kept.

Obama wishes to even the scores and will not mind if the American state is destroyed. I have perused his horoscope and I find these tendencies are there and have been confirmed by many other persons Biden on the advice of Obama permitted the biggest blunder by moving into Ukraine, where billions of dollars of American tax money has been invested for no purpose, I feel very sad because I am very close to America and I have lived there for so many years and even now come very often there. My association with America is much closer than most of the people who are writing on the site.

I feel America needs someone like Roosevelt, not men like Eishenower  or Clinton or Bush or Obama and now Biden. I will stick in my neck out and state that so long as Donald Trump  was president things were better and if America has to survive in the tortuous history of this world and regain the leadership which it has lost, it is imperative that the Obama -Biden gang  is defeated in the coming election and the presidential crown given to Donald Trump.

"One thing that has clearly come out after this incident is that the USA is no longer the master of the world. This is a sad occurrence. but a  historical fact because with three servicemen killed and close to 35 injured is a serious matter and yet the Biden administration is unable to decide what sort of action to take either against Iran, Iraq or the Houthis."

From my perspective, it seems evident that Biden, in his customary manner, responded to the situation. He likely hoped that the majority wouldn't notice the way he addressed it. Because he did address it... All to the satisfaction of Iran, China, and yes the terrorists.

In the current situation in Iran, everything appears to be stable, with substantial amounts of oil being pumped and sold to China and the EU. It's questionable whether Biden's primary focus is on anything other than maintaining control of the White House and appeasing the EU.

He also additionally took the initiative to sanction several citizens of Israel on Feb 2 2024

"WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on Thursday issued an executive order that targets Israeli settlers in the West Bank who have been accused of attacking Palestinians and Israeli peace activists in the occupied territory, imposing financial sanctions and visa bans in an initial round against four individuals.

Those settlers were involved in acts of violence, as well as threats and attempts to destroy or seize Palestinian property, according to the order. The penalties aim to block the four from using the U.S. financial system and bar American citizens from dealing with them. U.S. officials said they were evaluating whether to punish others involved in attacks that have intensified during the Israel-Hamas war."

"Biden’s order is a rare step against America’s closest ally in the Mideast who, Biden says, has the right to defend itself. But the Democratic president has pressed Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government to show greater restraint in its military operations aimed at rooting out Hamas. Netanyahu denounced the U.S. penalties, which his government was notified in advance, U.S. officials said."

Once again he appeases Iran, China, and the EU.  I have zero trust in this president. In my view, he is a dangerous president, and he has caused many problems that will take decades to fix.

It is clear that MAGA feels that absolutely anything Biden does is completely wrong. 

What is the MAGA position on action that should be taken in response to the drone attack that killed US troops?

In the real world I need to see the goods before I'm buying.  We have a  MAGA candidate in the race, a stance should be put forward.   If some would have us believe that Biden is a dangerous president, how do I know that MAGA wouldn't have chosen the same course?  The post-mortem criticism continually lobbed by MAGA doesn't cut it with me. 

The previous poster, erroneously stated that Biden is "unable" to decide what sort of action to take in response to the drone attack on tower 22.  Untrue and I'm fairly certain you're aware of what the administration has stated.

"What is the MAGA position on action that should be taken in response to the drone attack that killed US troops?"

Maybe to have kept Iran in check broke, and their people protesting in the streets—just a thought.   Can you ignore the hundreds of billions Iran added to their coffers selling OIL on Biden's watch?   (not unfrozen Iranian funds OIL)   Seems cash flow had a lot to do with the problems we're currently seeing in the Middle East. 
          https://www.wsj.com/articles/iran-hamas … a-adbace0b
          https://freebeacon.com/national-securit … ok-office/

"JAN 31, 2024 | PRESS RELEASES    RUBIO, COLLEAGUES TO BIDEN: STRENGTHEN ENFORCEMENT OF IRAN SANCTIONS

Since the start of Hamas’s brutal assault against Israel on October 7, 2024, there have been more than 140 attacks against U.S. troops. U.S. Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Maggie Hassan (D-NH) led a group of bipartisan colleagues in sending a letter to President Joe Biden calling on him to enforce current law and act against Iran’s illicit oil trade through sanctions. The Senators also encouraged support for proposed legislation pending in the U.S. Senate.

“Our bipartisan Stop Harboring Iranian Petroleum Act, or SHIP Act, the End Iranian Terrorism Act, and other legislative proposals would deny Iran the financial resources it employs to attack U.S. forces and U.S. allies throughout the Middle East. We urge you to use all available authorities to proactively implement these sanctions while Congress considers enacting legislation.”
          “Strengthening sanctions on Iranian oil is especially critical in light of the ongoing attacks on U.S. forces across the Middle East by Iranian-backed groups. According to the U.S. Department of Defense, there have been more than 140 attacks on U.S. troops in the region since October 7, 2023, most recently resulting in the tragic deaths of three U.S. servicemembers and dozens of injuries this past weekend.”
          Joining Rubio and Hassan were Senators Jim Risch (R-ID), Jacky Rosen (D-NV), Mike Crapo (R-ID), Bob Casey (D-PA), Bill Hagerty (R-TN), John Fetterman (D-PA), Kevin Cramer (R-ND), Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), John Hoeven (R-ND), Catherine Cortez-Masto (D-NV), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), Rick Scott (R-FL), Katie Boyd Britt (R-AL), Deb Fischer (R-NE), Ted Budd (R-NC), John Cornyn (R-TX), and Pete Ricketts (R-NE).

The full text of the letter is below.

Dear Mr. President:

We urge you to maximize your efforts to prevent illicit trade in Iranian oil by implementing and enforcing sanctions on ships, ports, and refineries that deal in Iranian oil. Our bipartisan Stop Harboring Iranian Petroleum Act, or SHIP Act, the End Iranian Terrorism Act, and other legislative proposals would deny Iran the financial resources it employs to attack U.S. forces and U.S. allies throughout the Middle East. We urge you to use all available authorities to proactively implement these sanctions while Congress considers enacting legislation.

The barbaric October 7, 2023 attack on Israel was a stark reminder of the threats Iranian-backed terrorist groups pose to both Israelis and Americans, as well as the dangers inherent to appeasing the Islamic Republic of Iran. Iran directly enabled the October 7 attacks by funding, training, and equipping Hamas and Palestine Islamic Jihad. Moreover, Iranian funding has supported proxies such as Hezbollah in Lebanon, Shia militias in Iraq and Syria, and the Houthis in Yemen.

In response to the October 7 attacks, and Iran’s subsequent mobilization of its terrorist proxy forces across the region, we urge your administration to take immediate action to deny the regime in Iran additional financial resources that it can use to continue supporting terrorism, destabilizing the Middle East, and ultimately harming Americans. These efforts should start by focusing on Iran’s expanding and lucrative illicit oil trade, which has increased over the last few years. The sanctions detailed in the SHIP and End IT Acts would help to strengthen existing sanctions, focusing on ships, ports, and refineries that permit transactions involving Iranian oil products.

Iran is now exporting on average more than 1.4 million barrels of crude oil per day, two-thirds of which ends up in the People’s Republic of China. From February 2021 to October 2023, the regime has taken in at least $88 billion from these illicit oil exports. Iran is deriving significant economic benefits from pervasive sanctions evasion, with Iran’s economy growing by four percent annually and net foreign currency reserves also increasing by 45 percent from 2021 to 2023.

Surging oil exports and increasing sanctions evasions enable Iran to increase its financial and material support for Hamas and other terrorist proxies, including Hezbollah, that threaten Israel. There is well-documented evidence that Iranian weapons were used by Hamas fighters in the October 7 attack. Meanwhile, the U.S. Department of State assesses that Iran also provides Hezbollah with hundreds of millions of dollars each year, with Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant estimating annual Iranian support for Hezbollah exceeds $700 million.

Strengthening sanctions on Iranian oil is especially critical in light of the ongoing attacks on U.S. forces across the Middle East by Iranian-backed groups. According to the U.S. Department of Defense, there have been more than 140 attacks on U.S. troops in the region since October 7, 2023, most recently resulting in the tragic deaths of three U.S. servicemembers and dozens of injuries this past weekend. These attacks are directly enabled by the financial and military support Iran provides to militias and other groups in Iraq and Syria. Additionally, since October 7, Iranian-backed Houthis have launched missiles and suicide drones at Israeli civilians from Yemen, shot down a U.S. MQ-9 Reaper surveillance drone over international waters, and hijacked cargo ships.  The Houthis, enabled by the Iranian regime, have crippled the free flow of commerce in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.

In the wake of the October 7 terror attacks and subsequent attacks by Iran-backed proxies on U.S. forces in the Middle East, we urge you to work harder to stop Iran’s funneling of lucrative oil exports to finance terror. These exports provide a crucial lifeline to sustain and expand Iran’s sponsorship of terrorist groups whose objective is to harm U.S. interests in the Middle East and to destroy our ally, Israel.

Accordingly, we call on you to immediately take additional action to stop Iran’s illicit oil trade. Specifically, we urge you to sanction ships transporting Iranian petroleum products as well as the foreign ports and refineries that knowingly accept those products.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter"

https://www.rubio.senate.gov/rubio-coll … sanctions/

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy … 023-04-27/

Congress is putting forth solutions. But Joe has the EU and China to consider.  I am more concerned about America.

Speaking of China and Iran.  Let's go back to July of 2020.

"China and Iran have quietly drafted a sweeping economic and security partnership that would clear the way for billions of dollars (600-800) of Chinese investments in energy and other sectors, undercutting the Trump administration’s efforts to isolate the Iranian government because of its nuclear and military ambitions.

The partnership, detailed in an 18-page proposed agreement obtained by The New York Times, would vastly expand Chinese presence in banking, telecommunications, ports, railways and dozens of other projects. In exchange, China would receive a regular — and, according to an Iranian official and an oil trader, heavily discounted — supply of Iranian oil over the next 25 years."

The document also describes deepening military cooperation, potentially giving China a foothold in a region that has been a strategic preoccupation of the United States for decades. It calls for joint training and exercises, joint research and weapons. 
            The deal was actually signed in June of 2020.

"Tehran’s desperation has pushed it into the arms of China. The draft agreement with Iran shows that unlike most countries, China feels it is in a position to defy the United States, powerful enough to withstand American penalties, as it has in the trade war waged by President Trump."

Checkmate China?  The Iranian situation, as with most everything, is much more complex than media blurbs portray.   And I haven't even touched on what Russia has provided to Iran.

Does anyone really believe that any level of sanctions could have prevented  these militants from pulling off a low budget drone attack? It wasn't exactly a big budget, sophisticated attack.  I'd be more concerned with Iran's progress toward nuclear weapons since Trump axed the Iran nuclear deal. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/11/worl … -deal.html

I will admit all is working well regarding Iran and China under Biden. https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/1 … l-00086888

I recommend examining the challenges Iran faced in selling oil during Trump's presidency, spanning from the beginning to his final days in office. It's crucial to recognize that the deal in question did not unfold favorably during Trump's tenure. Trump imposed severe sanctions on both Iran and China, both before and after the agreement you site was signed. My perspective is that Biden should exercise caution to prevent Iran from accumulating substantial funds again. 

I find it disheartening that we find our nation involved in so many conflicts that perhaps could have been better handled diplomatically.

Not up to doing the Google leg work --- We all were there, and the media covered all the particulars.

Back to Nov. 2020.  We all know Trump spent most of his time during that year campaigning and holding rallies followed by his grievance campaign of a stolen election.  What else was happening?...

"A leaked U.N. document showing yet another sharp rise in Iran’s stockpile of enriched uranium. Then, satellites tracked an Iranian oil tanker — the fourth in recent weeks — sailing toward the Persian Gulf after delivering Iranian petroleum products to Venezuela."

"Iran’s oil trade, like its nuclear fuel output, is on the rise again".

"The Trump administration is entering its final months with a flurry of new sanctions intended to squeeze Iran economically. But by nearly every measure, the efforts appear to be faltering. The tankers that arrived in Venezuela in recent weeks are part of a flotilla of ships that analysts say is now quietly moving a million barrels of discounted Iranian oil and gas a day"

"The volume represents a more than tenfold increase since the spring, analysts say, and signals what experts see as a significant weakening of the “maximum pressure” sanctions imposed by the Trump administration since it withdrew from the Iran nuclear deal in 2018."

"Other countries, many of them scornful of Trump’s unilateralism on Iran, are showing increasing reluctance to enforce the restrictions,"

"As a result, Trump is widely expected to leave President-elect Joe Biden with a crisis that is worse, by nearly every measure, than when he was elected four years ago"

It would seem that Iran found a workaround.  And let's not forget that they've made friends with those who all share a common hatred for America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national … story.html

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

MG Singh: " because a good friend of mine" Now there's a source.

On the one hand you don't want the media anywhere near the military.
      On the other you claim the government is lying to you. How would you know from the cheap seats what is going on in the world at all if the media wasn't out there reporting on what they manage to learn from one day to the next?

You need multiple sources for what you hear and read, then only assume about half of it is the truth. If our government told us everything we wanted to know whenever we want to know it, we would have no security at all. At the same time, private citizens (like the media) have the job of holding public officials' feet to the fire to keep them from becoming too corrupt with the power we entrust them with.

How do you know when a politician is lying? When it is proven in a court of law? How do you prove it? There is a process that usually begins with indictments. We are becoming more and more familiar with indictments - thanks primarily to one of our presidential candidates who's racked up about 91 of them.

5. Credence2 profile image77
    Credence2posted 2 months ago

I give up, inane conspiracy theories are not worthy of a comment.

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Yup!! Conspiracy theories are a growth industry right now. Look at the current conspiracy theories about Taylor Swift today. Some even say she is tied to the pentagon and is doing a psyop in coordination with them.

AI will prove to be a major factor for the spread of dis- and misinformation this election season. Deep fakes have been revealed not only here in the U.S. campaigning but other countries. As a tool it is used not only by nations antagonist towards us, but easily used today by Mr./Ms. Average. Image AI software for single user is as cheap as $10/month for a subscription.

Social media platforms recently eased regulations/restrictions on what can be posted on their sites opening up a wild west scenario to occur. Memes have over the years proven their effectiveness at the least to cause doubt or reinforce beliefs. Tik-Tok political content is rising. YouTube too.   

Then, again, maybe my post is dis- or misinformation.

1. Credence2 profile image77
        Credence2posted 2 months agoin reply to this

Well, isn't that stuff about Taylor Swift kinda of silly? Neanderthal MAGA males are intimidated by it.

Lol leave it to MAGA to pick on the person with the ACTUAL highest approval rating in the country...if they continue, it certainly won't end well for them.

6. Vlado - Val Karas profile image69
    Vlado - Val Karasposted 2 months ago

I hope a Canadian's opinion is allowed here; even more so since I don't claim to know much about politics -- just trying to apply some simple logic. And it cannot be more simple than offering one very basic question which goes like this: What is American military doing in a foreign country? What is ANYBODY's military doing in a foreign country? Are they "defending" America, or just being a part of the psychological warfare suggesting America's military supremacy in the old and futile ambition to gain a global hegemony?
    If the word "fairness" means anything at all, let's simply imagine a scenario in which somebody else's military would try to install THEIR bases on the American soil. So, if that is unthinkable, how is it fair that America can do what others cannot?
    Now, if we are forced to assume that America is enjoying such privileges globally, not caring about the justice of reciprocity -- then why bother asking with what justice some American soldiers are getting killed there? Well, there must be some people who don't really enjoy America's military presence in their country. How unfair of them!!!
    I don't think it has anything to do with who the President is -- but everything to do with the geopolitical tendencies which go from one administration to another.
    It's sad that those young soldiers had to die for political chess game; but it's even more sad how many civilians were killed in Iraq, Vietnam, and elsewhere -- for WHAT?
    It's a patriotic blindness which approves of ANYTHING that their politicians may do to others -- while only seeing what others are doing to them.
    Well, like I announced, I obviously know nothing about politics -- otherwise I wouldn't be saying all this crazy stuff. May I be forgiven?

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

Dear neighbor to the north: You are more than welcome to state your opinions here. An outsider's point of view is often the only way we see things in a different light.

The one exception I have is your reference to our "ambition to gain a global hegemony" by sacrificing those who died in Jordan, Iraq, Vietnam and elsewhere.  Our reasons can be debated. But one fact is indisputable.

"ALL WE ASKED WAS ENOUGH SOIL IN WHICH TO BURY OUR GALLANT DEAD." - General Mark W. Clark
      Chairman, American Battle Monuments Commission, 1969-1984

When the battles end, America does not keep territory in any of those places. Hardly the act of those only wanting world dominance.

2. Ken Burgess profile image76

Thank you for your input, I very much like your perspective.

It astounds me how ingrained the belief is in Americans, that our military, our politicians, have a right to force down every other nation's throats whatever they feel like.

Toppling any other nation, because corrupt cronies in DC feel like it, occupying other nations because they feel like it.

Americans cannot see the evil our government is doing abroad, they think it is justified... much of it isn't.  Much of it is just greed, arrogance, corruption, and just plain old evil at work.

7. Aliswell profile image59
    Aliswellposted 2 months ago

You "may" possibly be forgiven Val, but if you are "forgiven", by those who seem to know only "all that equals the only truth being: truth, justice, and the American way"(only if you've worn the uniform, and served in the "shit", of course)...please let them have mercy on a "non American", "Canadian Immigrant" for Shiva, Parvati, Krishna, Vishnu, Lakshmi, Ganesh, Nataraja, Devi, Saraswati, Shakti, Buddha, Kali, Murugan, Patanjali, and Hanuma's sake`~`

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)