State of the Union and What comes Tomorrow.

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (80 posts)
  1. Ken Burgess profile image77
    Ken Burgessposted 7 weeks ago

Biden opened up with what many won't recognize as our declaration of WWIII.

Speaker of the House is going allow Democrats onto the floor tomorrow so they can vote for Biden's 60 Billion funding to Ukraine.

Our entry into that war is not far behind.

Then he went on to talk about J6, reminding us all that Americans are the greatest threat to Democracy.

Then he meandered on about migrants, how the Republicans are stopping him from making the Border safe... I think he forgot to mention flying in a few hundred thousand migrants... which had little to do with the Border. \ shrug /

A lot of the Domestic issues sounded good... but ... what has he done for the last three and a half years?  Why weren't these things done then?  When the Democrats controlled Congress?  \shrug /

Oh, near the end he talked about Gaza... putting boots on the ground there, to help get them much needed humanitarian aid.  Without taking credit for sending all the bombs and funding that has caused all the destruction.  \ shrug /

Overall, he spoke better than I thought he was capable of, only stumbled on his words a few times... only lost focus once or twice... he seems to believe the country is in pretty good shape... they must keep him in a pretty isolated bubble if he believes half what he said.

1. Valeant profile image87
      Valeantposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

'Overall, he spoke better than I thought he was capable of, only stumbled on his words a few times... '

Because the far-right media sells a false narrative and most MAGA supporters fall for it.

2. Sharlee01 profile image78
      Sharlee01posted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

In my opinion, his speech amounted to nothing more than empty promises, with him pretending he could fulfill every perk he pledged. It felt like a relic from the 1950s, filled with political rhetoric devoid of substance. Frankly, it's not even worth dissecting. He resorted to blaming others, portraying everything as rosy and promising a brighter future under his leadership. It's repetitive, and insulting to anyone with a shred of critical thinking.

I was highly disgusted.

3. abwilliams profile image67
      abwilliamsposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

I watched for a short amount of time; that was the best I could do.
      Watching Hannity later, he referred to him as jacked-up Joe. That's an apt description.
      My thoughts in a nutshell.

Ken Burgessposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

If you don't delve into politics much, and aren't really aware of the events going on other than snippets you catch from news here and there...

I imagine that seemed like a decent address.

He got in some shots on the Supreme Court, the Republicans, on those supporting Trump and sounded tough against Putin.

I am sure the Democrat supporters thought that was great.

And if you get your news from Fox News, YouTube, and the Daily Caller, you'd likely think it was awful and that the 2020 election was stolen and rigged.

A pretty decent reply to that particular perspective:

STATE OF THE UNION: Old Man Screams At Moon
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_aH8Q1zBqE

Damn, I forgot to include Ben Shapiro, Steve Bannon, and Tucker in my reply.

Don't know about Bannon... but Tucker and Shapiro combined get hundreds of millions more viewers than CNN or MSNBC these days.

You can't fool the majority of the people the majority of the time... the majority of the people have woken up to the BS the MSM is peddling and no longer tune in.

1. Sharlee01 profile image78

They do. Oddly, many don't realize that both have a huge amount of followers.

2. abwilliams profile image67

If he insulted everyone outside of his bubble, I am sure his supporters were eating it up!

It was two things for sure.

Divisive.

Delusional ... or ... Deceptive

Delusional if he believes he has created the greatest economy... if he believes J6 is the biggest crisis America has faced since the Civil War... etc.

Deceptive if he doesn't believe all that nonsense and is just pushing the political divisiveness as much as humanly possible.

Not sure which makes him more dangerous... but clearly his Administration is the biggest threat to America's future and wellbeing... not Trump, not Putin, not Hamas, but this lunatic that is currently President.

He was most likely he is on  Ritalin, Concerta, or Adderall. They need to make every attempt to keep him as calm and oriented as possible.

This seems like more projection considering the confirmation that the Trump White House was a pill factory that ended up getting Ronny Jackson demoted.  Do you have any evidence of those conspiracies that his performance was artificially induced?

Hey, I was being sarcastic... Not nice but I am at the end of my patience with this man. My bad

But was cocaine ever discovered in the White House while Trump lived there?

No, they were all getting speed from Ronny Jackson so they didn't need cocaine.

Were the Obamas at all in the loop? If I remember Ronnie was also Obama's Doc.

2. Ken Burgess profile image77

Nah, they gave him some of that cocaine they always have lying around the White House these days. 

Which explains why he was so irritable and loud.

Yes, he did start a bit of fist-flaying.

2. Ken Burgess profile image77

I offer a REAL State of the Union... something to consider.

https://twitter.com/RobertKennedyJr/sta … 7737344260

1. tsmog profile image86
      tsmogposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks for the link!! His words echo my 'feelings' and 'thoughts'!

However, I reject whole heartily comparing his 'State of the Union' with what Biden's was as well as that of the Republican Response to it.

Kennedy's stands alone on its own idealism.

Kennedy does.

Biden's was a pretty terrifying speech... from putting our troops in harms way in Gaza to promising to take on Putin to calling a good 70 million or more Americans threats to Democracy... this guy is one bad for our country President.

1. tsmog profile image86

Going with my sentiments I reject your second paragraph to keep Kennedy's pure for the sake of a word.

You can reject it all you want.

It is clear he is planning to escalate the conflict with Russia (I've known this to be fact for over a year now, but I'm privy to things not all are).

Just as insane, he is going to put troops now in Gaza.

And he is still railing against, conservatively, at least a third of America.

This guy is such bad news for our future... and his lies... about the economy, jobs.... this is the same guy who in 2021 was still trying to lock everyone down and force vaccinations... now claiming he is the reason we have a 'good' economy.

Whatever, this stuff will pan out in the months ahead, no sense arguing over it... you know what's coming or you don't.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
              Kathleen Cochranposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Wouldn't use the word "lies" if I were MAGA.

2. tsmog profile image86

Oh well, I prefer not negate what Kennedy projected with his State of the Union at this time.

Yes, I know the evils of Biden and Democrats along with the evils of Trump and the MAGA crowd both with the goal of dividing the nation!!

Kennedy did not mention those did he? At the 7-minute mark is where he points out what both of our political parties are doing to this nation.

If he is on the ballot he has my vote not to vote against the other two dominate candidates, e.g. Biden and Trump, but to vote for someone that echos my 'feelings' and 'thoughts' even though I have disagreements with some of his positions.

I will look closer into him forward. Again, thanks for the video recommendation. I heed its message.

I agree with that, I would be fine with an RFK Presidency.

I will be fine with anything that removes the current Administration from the White House that is willing to do what is best for America.

The Biden Administration is abhorrent, a twisted parody of what this Nation should stand for.  If it takes a return of Trump to clean them out, and begin work towards global peace, not suicidal wars... so be it.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 weeks ago

What came was a shameful display by republicans. Please grow up or let an adult take your place.

4. PurvisBobbi44 profile image90
    PurvisBobbi44posted 7 weeks ago

I was taught to be respectful of the office of the president of our country, whether or not I liked the person in office. Hecklers against the president showed the world what party would listen to words being spoken, which might save our country and many lives. No, I am not a Democrat now; however, my angel of a mother and grandmother were. I loved people in both parties. 

Bobbi Purvis

People in his own party were heckling him and holding signs against his sending bombs to Israel and whatever else.

This man is not bringing the country, or the world, together... he, and his Administration, is tearing it apart, to our detriment.

I've been striving to maintain politeness in my social media comments and to understand various viewpoints, but I couldn't help but notice signs being held up on both sides during the event. While the heckling wasn't as intense as I've seen before, it was notable, especially when the Gold Star dad became emotional. Considering his loss, I was inclined to give him some leeway.

It's amusing how some people on social media express indignation about Republicans heckling, yet conveniently forget the antics during Trump's State of the Union speeches. Those were quite a spectacle, with Democrats making a scene at every opportunity. And who could forget Pelosi tearing up Trump's speech? The hypocrisy is truly astounding and, frankly, laughable.

Its hard I'd imagine.

The President is saying he has cut back the deficit... meanwhile we are burning through $1 Trillion dollars every 100 days.

Biden says the economy is the envy of the world and better than ever... ignoring the people struggling to buy groceries or new homes or just get by without becoming homeless.

There are two very separate groups of people in America today, two versions of reality you could say... only one is real... the other is fast-tracking America down the wrong path.

Ken: It certainly is.

And as far as how many views watched which coverage, it is not surprising that so many people today will only listen to broadcasts that tell them only what they want to hear.

5. PurvisBobbi44 profile image90
    PurvisBobbi44posted 7 weeks ago

Ken,

I agree with you. My great-great grandfather, John Newton Krimminger, was a Republican who was a Florida senator and was murdered, as per our family history, by a Democrat. He was one of seven in this Florida county, and they killed them all. So, I do know what it is like to have love on both sides, and I am for Trump all the way, as is my family. However, I do not like rude remarks made when someone is speaking; that was my point.

Bobbi Purvis

Thank you, Bobbi, and I could not agree more.

6. Willowarbor profile image60
    Willowarborposted 7 weeks ago

Meanwhile in Alabama...

Sweet Jesus what was that response by Katie Britt?

Bless her “barefoot, pregnant, & in the kitchen” little heart. It was like a bad audition for a Hallmark movie. . And if she's  so concerned about the border, she should have supported the bill.

Worst political speech I've heard in my life.

Very alarming that this woman is a senator and the fact that she was actually chosen to speak.  But this is what Alabama gives the country, along with her counterpart coach Tuberville. Lol of course Trump praised her. I think she'd make a fantastic VP pick for him!

After all, the people of Alabama elected her was she not, and sent to represent their hopes for the country.  Perhaps the people that sent her to Washington, were pleased with her speech. I would assume if not, they can vote her out next time around. That's the power of the vote. Voting clearly is the only voice we have.

7. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 7 weeks ago

State of the Union Speech...ho hum.

Same stuff different day.  No matter who the president, the other side does everything in their power to discredit what was said.  The State of the Union Speech is becoming just an entertaining spectacle for political partisans.

I didn't find biden impressive.  I NEVER find biden impressive.

A democrat neighbor felt he did a great job.

Such is our perceptions of our political opponents.

I do look forward to the debates between the candidates.

I'm sure you hardly even listened - expect to the parts when republicans showed they are not statesmen/women.

1. Readmikenow profile image94
        Readmikenowposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

All state of the union speeches from all presidents tend to put me to sleep.

Finally, we found your non-partisanship.

2. Willowarbor profile image60
      Willowarborposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

"I do look forward to the debates between the candidates."

Yes but only with capable moderators who don't let Trump continually interrupt and shout over Biden.  I'm not interested in seeing that again.

Also, I think it is absolutely imperative that statements are fact checked in real time.  Trump should not be given such an opportunity to lie.  Fact checking afterward is too late and certain media outlets never even do it.

"Also, I think it is absolutely imperative that statements are fact checked in real time."

I think this is a great idea if it is done fairly.  I doubt we have anybody in the mainstream media who could be unbiased and not  favor of biden.

I agree, like when Biden referred to Laken Riley as Lincoln... "Lincoln — Lincoln Riley, an innocent young woman who was killed by an illegal,” Biden said, both botching her name and using a term considered politically incorrect by most Democratic officeholders.

“That’s right, but how many of the thousands of people being killed by illegals —” Joe Biden
          https://nypost.com/2024/03/07/us-news/f … on-speech/
          hey he had a bottom with her name on it, maybe should have taken a look at it.

Not politically incorrect when the person did not go through any of the processes to be here legally.  It's not as bad as people calling them illegal aliens when they have gone through a legal process to seek asylum, which we see in here daily.

I could care little about calling the man that killed the Laken an illegal. Hey, I was pointing out that Biden called Laken, Lincoln. I could care little about Biden calling the murderer an illegal. My gosh, how could anyone care about the label of a cold-stone murderer? I have witnessed the outcry from liberals on the issue... In my view, they are, oh well not going to share that thought. Maybe you can imagine what I might label them.

And yet, the main reason it's an issue for the right is because this violent act was committed by a non-citizen.  So, it appears that you care very much about the label of an illegal.

8. Valeant profile image87
    Valeantposted 7 weeks ago

For independents, they needed to see if Biden could handle himself on such a stage or if he was slipping.  He had his usual issues with some words that could be attributed to his stuttering, but he didn't have any of the full-on glitches that we have seen from Trump at his recent rallies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkHShhTSMeA

9. Sharlee01 profile image78
    Sharlee01posted 7 weeks ago

More than 27 million people watched President Biden’s State of the Union Address across cable news and broadcast networks on Thursday night.

Fox News commanded the largest audience, averaging 5.6 million viewers during the president’s speech. ABC hauled in the largest audience of the broadcast networks, averaging just over 5 million compared to 4.3 million on NBC and 3.9 million who watched on CBS, according to early figures from Nielsen Media Research.

Final ratings figures are expected from Nielsen on Friday evening.

MSNBC earned an average of 4.2 million viewers, while CNN netted 2.5 million.

The total audience for Thursday night’s speech is on par with that for last year’s address, but is smaller than the 38 million who watched Biden’s State of the Union Address in 2022, a mark that itself fell well short of the 45.6 million who watched former President Trump’s first address in 2018.

Biden used his address before a joint session of Congress on Thursday to rail against Republicans’ lack of support for immigration funding, pledge support for Ukraine amid its war with Russia and tout his accomplishments on issues ranging from foreign policy to the economy."
    https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4520 … %20speech.

I felt more citizens would have watched the speech.  Makes me wonder if people are becoming weary of all the negativity surrounding today's politics.

1. Willowarbor profile image60

Biden attracted about five million more viewers than last year for his prime-time address on Thursday, Nielsen said.   We are interested and paying attention!

As an aside... Weren't Mike Johnson's facial expressions a show in and of themselves?  To me, he seemed to be agreeing with most of what Biden was saying LOL.  The rest of the time he just didn't know what to do. Needs to work on his poker face.
      https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/08/busi … tings.html

10. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 7 weeks ago

Biden Lied 30 Times During The State Of The Union

President Biden has been known to tell some pretty outrageous lies throughout his political career. So, it came as no surprise when Ol’ Sleepy Joe spewed out more than a few whoppers during his State of the Union address on Thursday.

From foreign policy to the economy, there was almost no subject in which the president didn’t lie to the American people. In case you missed his dumpster fire speech, here’s the definitive list of Biden’s biggest SOTU falsehoods.

https://thefederalist.com/2024/03/08/bi … the-union/

I'm surprised they limited it to just 30.

https://hubstatic.com/16947406.jpg

MAGA can say that with a straight face? Really?

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Sorry, Mike, but I can't go with you here.  While Biden undeniably lied, and more than once, the author of your link also did so, and nearly as badly.  From changing "deficit" to "debt" to calling a simple mispronounciation a "lie" to presuming a presidential term of office is 8 years, the truth was absent about as often as it was present.

Of course, it was all about politics and Americans are notorious liars when on the political soapbox, whether President or respondent.

"Biden undeniably lied, and more than once"

To me, that's the bottom line.

11. Ken Burgess profile image77

The Biden administration has now admitted that it has been actively flying illegal immigrants directly into the US. Use of 'CBP One,' a cell phone app, has allowed for the near undetected arrival by air of 320,000 aliens with no legal rights to enter the US.

https://twitter.com/crossroads_josh/sta … 5421844874

This crisis gets worse every day. I think we will see more tragedy due to the huge increase of migrants we are seeing in our major cities. I mean we see something go down almost weekly with horrendous crimes.

Are immigrants more likely to commit crimes then native born citizens?

2. abwilliams profile image67

SMH! What is left to say! Let's throw this bum out!

Have you fact checked this with parole policy?

"Crossroads" is completely misrepresenting the policy.  Not a surprise since this comes from Epoch Times.... Purveyor of far right misinformation and conspiracy theory.

That's right, there is State, FBI, White House approved propaganda brought to Americans by the likes of CNN, MSNBC, WP, NYT, etc.

And then there are real journalists that are not beholden to DEI, Social Justice ideology that has consumed the Main Stream Media (MSM), that are not part of the Great Reset agenda.

It is true, people such as yourself, label those trying to expose truth, facts, realities as Misinformation, Conspiracy Theory, Right Wing Extremism... words used to identify those still telling truth and trying to protect Individual Liberty, Equality, Rights (to Property, to Protect Oneself, to Privacy, etc.).

The forced by the Biden Administration Equity and Inclusion EOs and regulations throughout the Military and Government, the top down (IE pushed by BlackRock) DEI efforts...

And a State of the Nation address by Biden that labeled his opponent and those that support him as the greatest threat to America since the Civil War... while not so subtly hinting that they are also in collusion with Putin... the greatest threat the world has seen since WWII...

These are the same people who pushed the false narrative that Trump was a Russian puppet, and many of them still do.

Its very easy to look back and see what really happened... during Obama we had the toppling of Libya, we had Benghazi, we had the overthrow effort of Syria and we injected ourselves into Ukraine. We had police being executed by ambushers in the streets.

Then we had the first 3 years of Trump...where peace was made not war... where people were getting raises and the economy stabilized, with almost no inflation... where the border was brought under control through negotiations with Mexico... things were good, so good that Trump's re-election was certain despite all the efforts to label him and impeach him.

Then Covid... then the insane, Stalinist like lockdowns on the population in all Democrat led States, the hysteria constantly whipped up by the MSM, the labeling and hounding of those not wanting to take an experimental vaccination.

Then the riots, again only in Democrat led States, that were allowed to go out of control, occupy city blocks. etc.

Then came the Mail In Ballot election of 2020... where we went to bed with Trump winning, and then thanks to the changes in certain State elections, Mail In Ballots that came in after the election was over put Biden over the top in those much needed formerly Trump states.

Then came the well orchestrated J6, which was similar in many ways to things we have seen in other parts of the world, like in Ukraine.  Where Democracy was threatened unlike anything America has seen since the Civil War... hundreds of thousands died... the seat of our government was set aflame...

Well, no, that didn't really happen... once the rioters got within the Capitol the majority of them just meandered around taking selfies, respectfully, not harming statues or paintings, not killing others, not burning it to the ground.

And then we got Biden in Office, and he immediately reversed as much of Trumps actions as possible, Opened the Borders as quickly as possible, joining the UN's Compact on Migration which Trump did not do... joining the Paris Accord which Trump would not do... releasing hundreds of billions to Iran which Trump did not do... re-activating hostilities and welcoming conflict with Russia in Ukraine, which Trump did not do... and so much more.

And instead of the prosperous peaceful times we found ourselves in back in 2017-2019 we have the Nation and the World we have today... a much more stable place, thanks to the Biden Administration, filled with war, threats of war, and as much as half the nation identified as enemies of Democracy.

"It is true, people such as yourself, label those trying to expose truth, facts, realities as Misinformation"

What truth was he trying to expose?

The quote posted from Crossroads with Joshua Phillips in your previous post is, at best, misleading. Phillips misrepresents  parole policies under immigration law.
            Parole is a long-standing legal authority and a tool Biden can use to promote order at the  border in the absence of Congressional legislation.

There were of course many lawsuits brought trying to end the use of this power.

But a judge (Trump appointed ) in Texas just ruled  in Biden's favor, stating:

“The record establishes that the number of CHNV [Cuban, Haitian, Nicaraguan and Venezuelan] nationals entering the United States since the program’s implementation has dramatically decreased by as much as 44 percent,” the judge wrote in his 31-page decision."

He also noted that state expenditures related to illegal immigration declined after the program was put in place.

“The court has before it a case in which plaintiffs claim that they have been injured by a program that has actually lowered their out-of-pocket costs,’’ he wrote.

The use of parole authority goes back decades. It's not a "Biden policy"
            It was used for Cubans in the '60s as well as the Vietnamese  after the war and Ukrainians.

Biden is using it now to dissuade people from trying to cross the U.S. southern border illegally by offering the possibility of a legal pathway for which they could apply from their home countries.  These people are vetted, have financial sponsors and arrange their own travel if approved. 

"Unauthorized crossings by Cubans, Nicaraguans and Haitians, have plunged since officials launched the policy in January 2023."

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/08/12371589 … eral-judge

3. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 7 weeks ago

Hi, Tim. It seems all of us are worried when it comes to Politics & Election.

In America, you are looking for a President. Here in India, we are worried about the party that comes into power. Even if they project a good PM, I am afraid PMs are a bit governed by their background leaders and their selfish politics.

4. tsmog profile image86
      tsmogposted 7 weeks ago

The skinny of viewers of the State of the Union, the GOP Response, and the different analysis programming.

2024 State of the Union Address Draws Over 32 Million Viewers by Nielsen (Mar 8, 2024)
      https://www.nielsen.com/news-center/202 … n-viewers/

Of the 32.2 million viewers that watched the 2024 State of the Union address:

5% of viewers were aged 18-34.
          19% of viewers were aged 35-54.
          74% of viewers were aged 55 and older.
          56% watched broadcast network coverage.
          44% watched coverage on cable networks.

Thoughts to ponder of those generational divides is those demographics with voting

TV Ratings for Thursday 7th March 2024 - Network Finals and Select Cable Numbers Posted by SpoilerTV (Mar 9, 2024)
      https://www.spoilertv.com/2024/03/tv-ra … -2024.html

For a comparison for pondering with CBS is . . .

At 8 pm Young Sheldon was 6.818
      At 8:30 pm Ghosts was 5.640
      At 9 pm the State of the Union and GOP response was 3.211

Where did they go? Why?

I had a thread in the forums explaining this.

Partisan Divide in Media Trust
        https://hubpages.com/politics/forum/360 … edia-trust

You have a similar one.

Where do people get their news? Who is it? Trust?
        https://hubpages.com/politics/forum/360 … s-it-trust

Younger people do not use or watch "regular" tv... at all... based on all I've seen from my own kids, extended family members, employees, etc.

Cable News... TV News... regular TV shows... they watch none of it.

They occasionally watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. for a movie or sports event.  But the below 30 crowd is as tuned into 'regular' TV as I am to 'regular' Radio.  I don't listen to Radio at all and haven't for well over a decade.

Its all computer, phone, ipod, download, streaming... TV as the primary device to get information is done with.

Joe Rogan on Spotify and Youtube... Tucker Carlson on X and Youtube... will get hundreds of millions of views per show.

5. Valeant profile image87
      Valeantposted 7 weeks ago

The rewrite of history from Ken really does show the level of radicalization that exists in the right.

Example 1:  The economy was more than stabilized before Trump took office.  He increased spending while cutting taxes that increased deficit spending to juice his economy that led to marginal increases in GDP.

Example 2:  The insinuation that it was only Democrat-led states that had Covid lockdowns.  What a joke.  Here is the actual list so we can hopefully never hear such a farcical claim again:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._stat … 9_pandemic

Example 3:  That riots only happened in Democrat-led states.  In a world where riots happened in Miami, Nashville, Louisville, Atlanta and Salt Lake City, Democrats are wondering how they got control of those states.

And if things were so great under Trump, why did a pandemic reach our shores?  Why was the national response to race-related killings so weak that protests were deemed to be necessary?  Why did the national debt soar?  Why did he leave office losing more jobs than any of his recent predecessors?  Why was there a domestic terror attack on the nation's Capitol by his supporters to try and halt the certification of a presidential election? Why did the murder rate spike in 2020?  Why did we need to bail out farmers to the tune of billions?

That's not greatness, that a failed presidential term.

6. Willowarbor profile image60
      Willowarborposted 7 weeks ago

I'd love to see the same level of outrage for school and mass shootings as was displayed for Laken Riley. 

Imagine if someone said. “It’s just horrible, so surprising to see it here. But have to get over it, we have to move forward,”  in reaction to her murder?

Whenever a school shooting takes place, we witness significant outrage. It's evident that there are two distinct forms of outrage: one advocating for changes in gun laws, while the other aims to address the underlying societal issues that drive individuals to resort to violence. Personally, I don't believe superficial solutions like band-aids address the profound complexities of mental illness, which lies at the heart of the matter, in my view.  This issue highlights the fundamental differences in mindset between liberals and conservatives.

I give credit to the concept of moving forward and looking for solutions. Not dwelling on crimes that we seem to care a bit about for a while, and then see the next horrendous shooting, and become all insensed once again. As we have done with Laykin's murder.  Old news, zero progress at stopping unvetted migrants into our Nation.  Same old same old...

'I don't believe superficial solutions like band-aids address the profound complexities of mental illness, which lies at the heart of the matter, "

I don't even think we've had Band-Aids.  What has been offered up other than thoughts and prayers?    Yet...

"The U.S. House of Representatives passed the Laken Riley Act Thursday, which takes aim at President Joe Biden and U.S. immigration policy following allegations that an illegal immigrant killed a student on UGA's campus in Athens in February."

Ok. Really? Where was and is the legislation for all of those slaughtered  in school and mass  shootings by our home grown killers?   This rings hollow and completely political for me.  Can't help but view this as politicians using this for their own xenophobic agenda. Is there any focus on how to up the campus safety for women in general? Am I the only one that feels  women should be able to run by themselves without the fear of being murdered or assaulted?

Literally many  women have been killed in the past year in Georgia but no one seems to give a sh*t about that. 

But the main reason we know Riley’s name, and not the names of the other 300-350 women killed by a stranger in the last year, or the names of the other eight people being held on a murder charge at the Clarke county jail, is because the suspect is an undocumented migrant. 

Would there be all this reaction if this woman were killed in a mass shooting? Or one of the many other murders that occured in Georgia?   I think we know the answer to that.

Something to consider...At least 131 Georgia teens and children were lost to gun violence in 2023. The youngest victim was just six months old.  Where is the outrage?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 … g-reaction

How about while we try to deal with the larger issue of mental illness, we take away some of the guns?

Your points are consistently valid, and I agree that Kathleen raised an excellent point. Improving gun laws is undoubtedly necessary, but why not work on both mental illness as well as new gun laws?  The root issue lies in addressing underlying mental health issues. Many individuals who resort to violence with guns or other weapons often struggle with untreated mental illnesses. Unfortunately, mental health support in our country is severely lacking.  While stricter gun regulations are important, I strongly advocate prioritizing comprehensive mental health care for all Americans. Mental health should be considered a fundamental right, ensuring that nobody slips through the cracks. The tragic death of Laykin has undeniably become a political issue, a weapon...  But we must focus on implementing effective solutions rather than using them as a mere talking point. Laykin was killed by a man's hands --- bludgeoned to death. If someone intends to kill another, there are many weapons of choice. 

"As last updated in January 2022, according to the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) program, which tracks crime statistics in the United States, the number of homicides committed with weapons other than firearms varies from year to year. In 2019, for example, there were 1,476 homicides committed with knives or cutting instruments, 397 with blunt objects (such as clubs or hammers), and 614 with personal weapons (such as hands, fists, or feet). These numbers can fluctuate annually, but they provide an indication of the prevalence of homicides involving weapons other than firearms. For the most current data, you would need to consult the FBI's UCR reports or other official crime statistics sources."

This chart will give you an idea of how many murders are caused by weapons other than firearms. It's clear firearms are the number one weapon.
            https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 … able-8.xls

The carry conceal laws have been changed recently in many Red States.

States like Louisiana and Arkansas have changed their laws so that they no longer require permits or licenses to carry concealed handguns.

While Blue States like New York and California make is increasingly harder and more expensive to buy any weapon or the ammo for it.

Like many other political issues, the divide between what Blue states and Red states make illegal, legal, acceptable or not is growing.

But for this issue, we will soon begin to see what States are safer than others... the ones where everyone can walk around armed and capable of defending themselves (and their schools) or the ones where words are considered weapons, and real weapons are all but outlawed.

2. Readmikenow profile image94

Good deflection.

Illegal immigrants who commit crimes shouldn't be here in the first place to commit crimes.  If democrats cares about US citizens they would stop accommodating illegal aliens and begin the deportation process for all of them here illegally.

Same stuff...we have shootings and the left wants to take away the firearms of legal gun owners who obey the law and want to be able to protect themselves.

I suggest that instead of focusing on punishing legal gun owners the democrats focus their energy on punishing people who have illegally obtained firearms and commit crimes with them.  THAT is the problem.  Prosecutors from the left are letting serious criminals out on the street to commit even worse crimes.

New York District Attorney Alvin Bragg has done such a great job for criminals.

That public outcry has centered on career criminals let loose due to Bragg's soft on crime policies, only to reoffend. There are countless examples, like the gangbanger accused of stealing $25,000 in a series of robberies, charges Bragg's office dropped in favor of five counseling sessions, only to have the man rearrested for punching a 14-year-old boy while robbing him. There was the case of William Rolon, who faced only misdemeanor charges after he threatened a store worker with a knife. He was told by a judge that he should "feel lucky" because of Bragg's lenient policies. Or think of Justin Washington, a convicted rapist who managed to strike a deal with Bragg's office that allowed him to serve only 30 days in jail because his crime was categorized as second-degree coercion. He was quickly released—and went on to sexually assault five other people in the Bronx, including a homeless woman.

Rogue prosecutors are everywhere.

he results of these prosecutors’ rogue, radical policies have been disastrous.

Last year, Philadelphians suffered through the bloodiest year in their city’s history. In 2021, 562 people were murdered on Larry Krasner’s watch. That’s far more than the city’s 1991 all-time record. And 2022’s homicides are already outpacing 2021’s record-setting numbers.

Last year’s murder total in Philadelphia is more than double the number of people murdered each year in the city only a few years ago, including the years immediately before Krasner came into office. Maybe he’s been too busy making his eight-part, fawning PBS documentary to focus on keeping the City of Brotherly Love safe.

Unfortunately, it’s common for these rogue prosecutors to be more concerned with making national headlines than with doing their jobs.

In St. Louis, Kimberly Gardner has been, according to local news reports, criticized for being “gone from her office a couple of times every month, [and] jetting around on someone else’s dime.” Her travel has been described as “prolific and problematic,” making it “difficult to get decisions made.”

Needless to say, crime in St. Louis is out of control. And Gardner is not doing nearly enough to combat it. In fact, a St. Louis judge last year dismissed murder charges against a defendant and ordered him released because the prosecutor from Gardner’s office went on maternity leave, and neither Gardner nor anyone else from her office bothered to make sure someone else was handling the case. The judge said Gardner’s office had “abandoned its duty” after failing to show up for three court hearings and failing to respond to a court order to produce evidence to the defendant.

In San Francisco, a local judge took the extremely unusual step of expressing his concerns about Chesa Boudin’s management of his office. The judge said, “I cannot express in any more certain terms my disapproval of the manner in which the office of the district attorney is being managed.” He added: “It’s time to really take care of business at home instead of thinking about the national or state stage. Individualized consideration of these cases, individualized justice requires no less.”

As the old saying goes, birds of a feather flock together. These rogue prosecutors frequently wind up on the same boondoggles in far-off lands together, often subsidized by the misnamed “Fair & Just Prosecution” organization, which promotes policies that are neither fair nor just—at least not to victims of crimes.

The Tides Foundation, which is supported by George Soros and other wealthy individuals, and the Open Philanthropy Project, which was founded by Facebook cofounder Dustin Moskovitz and his wife, Cari Tuna, provide funding for this group and others to act as the central clearinghouse for many of the ideas parroted by the rogue prosecutors on the ground.

Essentially, a group of left-leaning billionaires discovered that they could get the most bang for their buck by funding rogue district attorneys who would simply refuse to enforce certain policies or laws they disagreed with rather than undertaking the much more difficult and expensive task of electing sympathetic state legislators to actually change states’ laws.

Efforts by Soros and others to elect rogue prosecutors ramped up during the 2016 election cycle where Soros contributed millions of dollars to political action committees supporting rogue candidates in at least nine states. The donations have continued since then, though the exact amount can be difficult to trace since the money is funneled through a variety of entities.

Blue State ... Red State really explains it all.

Those "rogue" prosecutors, DAs, etc. cannot exist unless they are supported by an equally "rogue" Governor and "Left" state in general.

They cannot exist in strong pro-American States that have Republican Governors because they are removed.  IE:

DeSantis boots woke prosecutor Andrew Warren for failing to enforce state laws
                https://nypost.com/2022/08/04/desantis- … tate-laws/

Sharlee01posted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

Absolutely, I resonate with your perspective entirely. My point revolves around the acknowledgment that individuals who are inclined towards violence will find means to carry out their actions, often stemming from underlying mental health issues. It's crucial for our society to address these root problems rather than solely attributing blame to the presence of guns. By turning a critical eye towards how we care for and support those struggling with mental illness, we can work towards preventing such tragedies from occurring.

And regarding the migrant problem -- we have not seen anything yet... This crisis will plague our nation for decades, and most likely change the fabric of our nation.  As I always say --- what's next?

7. Ken Burgess profile image77

Psychiatrist Lieberman suspects Biden of using amphetamines

▪️Psychiatrist Carol Lieberman, who works with patients suffering from dementia, noted that the American president most often “speaks slowly and stumbles.” But when he spoke to lawmakers, he jabbered and sounded “hot-tempered and angry,” which are typical signs of someone taking amphetamines.
      ▪️The expert noted that drug use is indicated not only by the speech of the US President, but also by his behavior. During his speech, he frequently gestured and moved his hands quickly, although he usually kept them at the podium while reading text from a teleprompter.
      ▪️ “Emotional instability is a sign of dementia, and it (emotional instability) was worsened by the Adderall or amphetamine they gave him. He didn't just talk loudly. He shouted in a room where everyone could hear him and where he had a microphone,” Lieberman emphasized.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 … -sees-sig/

You know another historic figure who was always ranting about war and enemies and never compromising like Biden does?

Yeah, me too, its the guy they are always trying to say Trump is worse than.

It's said that historic person was using amphetamines as well.

1. tsmog profile image86

I hate paywalls!

Not as much as I hate conspiracy theories devoid of actual evidence.

1. tsmog profile image86

True! I may be in that boat as well!

8. Readmikenow profile image94
      Readmikenowposted 6 weeks ago

Two things from the SOTU speech that makes me wonder about biden's mental ability.

1. He looked at the Supreme Court and stated how women are not without political power.  I suppose someone needs to explain to biden that Supreme Court justices don't run for office.  I suppose the left doesn't grasp the concept that the dissolution of Roe V. Wade gave women MORE political power.  They are now able to use their ability to vote to determine, in their own state, if they want abortion to be legal or not.  It always amazes me how the left just doesn't seem to grasp that there are millions of women who are pro life and strongly against abortion.

2. It was a hot mic moment, but he said that Benjamin Netanyahu, the leader of the Jewish State of Israel, needs a "Come to Jesus moment."  Does biden not understand that Jewish people are not followers of Jesus Christ? 

Then you add in the mispronunciation of Laken Riley's name, apologizing for calling her killer an illegal...it was something.

You can't make this stuff up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)