How do you turn a blind eye?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 4 weeks ago

When this many leaders who worked closely with Trump issue bold warnings about him, how do so many turn a blind eye to what they are saying?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions … sper-warn/

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Oops, for me the referenced article is hidden behind a paywall, however I have enough knowledge from the past to take heed of what those past leaders share. It was evident, for me, with the House Select Committee hearings for January 6th.

2. abwilliams profile image68
      abwilliamsposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

There are many wolves in sheep's clothing. Certainly within the political spectrum!
      For me, it's all about going with my gut, what common sense dictates and not being swayed by, "the many".

Kathleen Cochranposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

abw: "not being swayed by, "the many"."

"The many" are not faceless, anonymous phantoms. They are the very people who worked daily in Trump's administration, with first-hand experience with what went on behind the scenes, and had better reputations from Day One than Trump had on any given day.

I'm hard-pressed to name anyone in his administration who has a good word to say about him. That trend should be telling us something.

1. abwilliams profile image68

I am sure, with a little effort, you could manage to name several who would be honored to be back within Trump's administration. 
          There are always disgruntled within every administration, whether (R) or (D). Biden has yet to complete a term and I am sure, with a little effort, you could find several who can't come up with a "good word" about him.
          It's just politics.

2. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 4 weeks ago

Trump's attractiveness to so many have nothing to his competence or lack thereof. His attraction has to do with deep seated fears and resentment of a large portion of the America society. How much sense does it make for Evangelical Christians to support Trump? Who in reality is the very antithesis of supposed Christian values. What is the real reason they support him?

Their votes and support have nothing to do with rational thinking or reality. I say this on the periphery, knowing that I delve deeper in revelation of the real truth many would be offended.....

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

His attraction has to do with an understanding of what the country needs, and it isn't more giveaway programs, more illegal aliens, more sex changes for children, etc.

It is businesses operating at a profit and providing jobs.  It is people keeping what they earn.  It is freedom from crime, including riots.

Sorry, Credence, but you are in the wrong camp to even have a tiny clue as to what supporters find attractive in Trump.

1. Credence2 profile image78
        Credence2posted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Well, Wilderness, "Mother, Apple Pie, Chevrolet, they always talk about what sounds good but the reality is different.

"My camp" has a different perspective and from our perch the view is quite different.

So how do you explain the "blind eye"?

Even his suck up Pence don't want anything to do with Trump now.

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I just explained it.  That you are unable to understand it simply means you are far, far down the other road - so far that you cannot even recognize that others may not agree, and with good reason.

You are just as far down "your road", Wilderness, where you cannot see yourself as evasive and not answer a question that you were asked.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image78

Republicans are less unified on Trump’s fitness for office than you might think. While virtually all House and Senate Republicans have fallen into line to endorse Donald Trump, the four-time-indicted former president who is now the GOP’s presumptive presidential nominee, the high-level advisers who served alongside him day in and day out have overwhelmingly refused to do so.

This unprecedented rebuff, from everyone from former vice President Mike Pence to former defense secretary Mark T. Esper to former attorney general William P. Barr to former chief of staff John F. Kelly, speaks to Trump’s manifest flaws and how they are visible to those who know him best.

Even more stunning, these former advisers have shared hair-raising observations of Trump’s outbursts, mind-set and personal depravity. Kelly recalled Trump’s favorable comments about Hitler (“some good things”), which Kelly believes is part of Trump’s idolatry of dictators, whose power Trump envies.

Esper warned, “He wanted to deploy active-duty troops on the street of Washington, D.C., and suggested actually that we shoot Americans in the street. That’s kind of more of what you’ll see.” Esper further cautioned that Trump is not “fit for office because he puts himself first and I think anybody running for office should put the country first.”

Some former advisers have gone so far as to warn that Trump is mentally unfit to serve. Barr explained that “he is a consummate narcissist. And he constantly engages in reckless conduct. … He’s a very petty individual who will always put his interests ahead of the country’s. … But our country can’t, you know, can’t be a therapy session for, you know, a troubled man like this.”

“It’s not the personality that’s the problem. He doesn’t understand the job, particularly in the national security space,” former national security adviser John Bolton said on CNN. (He also advised, “I mean, if Trump is elected, there will be celebrations in the Kremlin, there’s no doubt about it, because [Vladimir] Putin thinks that he is an easy mark.”)

The Guardian reported, “Donald Trump’s White House chief of staff [John Kelly] secretly bought a book in which 27 mental health professionals warned that the president was psychologically unfit for the job, then used it as a guide in his attempts to cope with Trump’s irrational behavior.” Beyond revealing Trump’s praise for Hitler, Kelly has described Trump in shockingly candid terms:

A person that has no idea what America stands for and has no idea what America is all about. A person who cavalierly suggests that a selfless warrior who has served his country for 40 years in peacetime and war should lose his life for treason — in expectation that someone will take action. A person who admires autocrats and murderous dictators.
    Though these Republicans regrettably have not had the wherewithal to endorse President Biden, the only candidate capable of preventing the manifestly unfit former president from returning to power, they can still serve their country by preventing their old boss from regaining power — power, this time, without the guardrails they provided in his first term.

Here’s how: The “duty to warn” is a concept associated with mental health professionals who must alert authorities or a potential victim if their patient appears to be a threat to others. In a non-medical context, those who once took the oath of office (and in Kelly’s and Esper’s cases, served in the military as well) also have a “duty to warn” the country of the fundamental threat to national security and democratic institutions that Trump represents.

To date, the former Trump advisers’ messages have been sporadic and uncoordinated. Though their individual statements have gotten some coverage, the sheer number of defections and the gravity of their warnings have not become a staple of news headlines, nor have they garnered serious TV coverage. That need not continue.

A “duty to warn” group of former Trump advisers with eyewitness accounts of his rhetoric, conduct, intellectual limitations and emotional state during his presidency should band together, travel the country, submit op-eds, make media appearances and cut ads that argue against his election. Even if they decline to endorse Biden, their dire warnings about Trump collectively should make clear that his mental and emotional defects make him a danger to the country.

Their observations, not well known to most voters, would be powerful and frightening because they go to the heart of his capacity to govern in a democracy. “He’s already saying it’s going to be about retribution,” Barr has warned. “And he’s, you know, he’s a very petty man. And it’s all about him. And he has a very fragile ego and you know, something happened to him as a kid and I’m not going to spend time psychoanalyzing it but, you know, every encounter he has to come out showing the other guy that he’s better.” He added, “It’s all about, you know, the assertion of his ego, and I think he will be self-indulgent in a new administration and won’t be as effective as he could otherwise be and probably things would start moving toward chaos.”

Trump no doubt will continue to rage against his former advisers, despite his boast that he hired only the “best people.” But a unified and consistent effort from a substantial number of former high-ranking officials to educate the American people, especially “soft” Republicans who continue to hold these former Trump aides in high esteem, could act as a powerful counterweight to the false equivalence that afflicts too much campaign coverage.

Whether speaking up sooner might have slowed Trump’s march to the nomination is debatable. However, with the country’s attention turning to the general election, it is more imperative than ever that credible eyewitnesses take their “duty to warn” seriously. Our democracy could depend upon it.

"For me, it's all about going with my gut, what common sense dictates and not being swayed by, "the many".

AB expressed a method of evaluation that works for many adamant Trump supporters. From their perspective, their eyes are already open.

It is not so much a matter of informing people.

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image78

The above is the text of the article in the Washington Post.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Is this the whole article or just a summary of it? I went to it, but I don't have a subscription nor do I want them bugging me to get one. I had to study their writing style in one of my journalism classes for my MA. Anyway, thank you for posting the text. We needed that consolidation of opinions.

MIZ: It's the whole article.

2. Ken Burgess profile image76
      Ken Burgessposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

How do you turn a blind eye indeed.

https://hubstatic.com/16971113.png

5. Genna East profile image83
    Genna Eastposted 4 weeks ago

Interesting article.  With regard to Trump’s popularity with the American voters who still support him, the reasons I think can be summarized as follows:  Partisanship; personality over substance that doesn’t require any thoughtful consideration of the facts; an uneducated and at times feverish enthrallment over the conspiracy theories he touts that he has suffered at the hands of the Democrats; and the most often reason cited:  "We had more money in our pockets when Donald Trump was president".

Genna: It's nice to hear from a new voice. Thanks for contributing to this discussion.

6. Kathleen Cochran profile image78

abwilliams profile image
    abwilliams 24 hours ago:
    I am sure, with a little effort, you could manage to name several who would be honored to be back within Trump's administration.

Y'all sure can tap dance.

"“It’s an indication that, going forward, that if you are a messenger of election denialism that you may not maintain the credibility to be given a voice in many places in the public square,” said Rob Stutzman, a GOP consultant who has done work for the third-party No Labels movement. “The awful lie of the election being stolen is going to continue to limit who will take them seriously in the future.”"

So says the third party guy!?
      Who is tap dancing?

7. Credence2 profile image78

So, yes Virginia, Trump and MAGA is a cult.

If you are not blind but just myopic, what do you think of the RNC having a litmus test for new hires which would include a confessed belief that the 2020 Presidential election was stolen?

I have this thought picture of a bunch of RNC dweebs doing the ring around the rosy, chanting     Yabadabadoo      in unison.

I never cared for conservative politics, but I lived with GW Bush and even Ronald Reagan. But this Trump is both new and bizarre, the GOP needs to get another standard bearer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 … mp-hiring/

"the GOP needs to get another standard bearer."

Because you are making this suggestion, I contend that conservative politics (non-RINO's) are very much on the right track.

1. Ken Burgess profile image76
        Ken Burgessposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

The extremes of either side are getting too much publicity, there is no one to advocate for compromise... or Middle America.

The Progressives quite literally label just about anyone not standing in support of their positions as extremist Right wingers, Trumpsters, etc.

The Conservatives aren't much for compromise either, they aren't trying to change or revolutionize the system or society, they are trying to maintain it.

Rather than try to play the right or wrong... good or evil labeling game, lets just say what the two sides support.

Trump will try to end the Ukraine war, no effort will be made to take Crimea from Russia.

Biden is going to escalate that war, if it has not already escalated and dragged us into the worst war in a generation (or two) prior to November.

Trump is going to make Women's spaces for Women again... and all those people who weren't born women are going to be ejected from those places, wherever and whatever they pertain to.

Biden on the other hand will continue to prioritize Transgender's rights over women's rights, or anyone elses. Making people accept men as women and deny reality, along with all the other pro-noun nonsense going on.

Biden will continue to push Equity, Critical Race Theory, Confiscation of Weapons, Restrictions on Speech, etc.

Trump will oppose all those things and bring them to an end.

Oh yeah, migrants... Biden will continue to escalate the influx of migrants, to the point where we are probably allowing in 3 to 6 million a year.  Trump will take America out of the Compact on Migration and the Compact on Refugees again, and limit entry into America more-so than he did last time, at one point he had it around 400,000 for a year.

These are the things that you are voting for... regardless of what you think of Biden or Trump... recognize what your vote really means, because in this election it means a LOT... the difference is monumental unlike our choices 20 or 30 years ago.

8. Credence2 profile image78

The so called revolution or the non-Rino attitude is just another form of autocratic tyranny. Trump himself laid it out in his own version of Mein-Kamph.

It's starts with his total hijacking of the RNC, but it ends with the termination of American democracy as we know it.

I am not your Middle America, so who is Middle America, Ken? Blacks don't vote Republican, so are we automatically excluded? Why I would support that?

As for your claims against Biden, that is debatable depending on your point of view.
    But, you are right about one thing, what is at stake is monumental and my support and my fight to keep Trump and syncophantic tyrants out is determined and knows no bounds.

Regardless of where we are now, there is NOTHING worse than any change toward tyrants and autocracy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)