Historic Dates vs. Random Made-up, Obscure Dates

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)
  1. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 3 weeks ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/16889119_f1024.jpg
    It seems to me that we have gotten to the point, in the United States of America, where nothing is Just, but also, where nothing is Sacred. A random person can makeup a day/a date or dates, and then proclaim (better yet, have a President proclaim) its significance.
    I contend that as a result, historic dates, holy dates, significant dates are being replaced, as another means of dismantling (resetting? transforming?) this Nation, piece by piece, day by day.
    What say you?

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

I say you are wrong., but politely so. Presidential proclamation days appear to have two causes: political and recognitional.

There are a ton of them; Here's a Wiki list of of observances in the United States by presidential proclamation.

Religious dates shouldn't outrank non-religious ones just because religious folks think so. For instance, what if  National Vietnam War Veterans Day conflicted with Good Friday or Easter Sunday, would you feel as offended as when Trans Day does?

GA

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
        Kathleen Cochranposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

GA: "Religious dates shouldn't outrank non-religious ones just because religious folks think so. "

Oh, Amen and Amen.

I also think religious people (of whom I am one) shouldn't try to claim they are being persecuted (a common refrain) just because they are being disagreed with.

2. abwilliams profile image68
        abwilliamsposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks GA for your response. I am not just considering Religious holidays, but other historic dates as well; I.e. Independence Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day....dates which actually have significance and meaning in and throughout our existence.

God forbid, but could we eventually see a date on the calendar which celebrates the most perverse, is that the point where a line is drawn?

I don't see much push back in preventing us from getting to that point. What better way to topple "the shining city upon a hill"?

I see what you're saying, but I don't think that's a worry.

GA

3. Willowarbor profile image60
        Willowarborposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

It would appear that they are offended because some Christians do not accept or tolerate transgender people.

"They" statements always worry me. There are "theys' in every group and 'they' seldom are the group.

GA

2. Sharlee01 profile image77
          Sharlee01posted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

It's important to clarify that the disagreement over transgender identity within some Christian communities isn't solely about tolerance.  Tolerance, in its true essence, involves respecting and accepting differences, even when one may not agree with or understand them.

However, the stance against transgender identity within certain Christian teachings isn't necessarily about tolerance or intolerance in the conventional sense.  It's more rooted in theological interpretations and beliefs about gender,  often based on specific scriptural interpretations. For some Christians, their objection to transgender identity stems from their understanding of biblical teachings regarding gender roles and the sanctity of biological sex.

In this context, it's not merely a matter of tolerance versus intolerance, but rather a clash of deeply held religious teachings, convictions, and interpretations. From some perspectives, accepting transgender identity may contradict fundamental tenets of their faith.  While this stance may be viewed as intolerant by those outside of these beliefs, one might recognize that the issue is far more nuanced and complex than a simple matter of tolerance. It's about asking some to reconcile religious beliefs due to societal changes and individual rights, which often leads to intense debate and disagreement when religion is involved.

1. Willowarbor profile image60
            Willowarborposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

"However, the stance against transgender identity within certain Christian teachings isn't necessarily about tolerance or intolerance in the conventional sense.  It's more rooted in theological interpretations and beliefs about gender"

Where does one find support for such a stance?  Considering the overarching themes of the Bible as a whole?

The Bible  tells us neither to give a final judgment on a person nor to judge their actions according to our standards.

Romans 14:4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

And from Matthew..

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

It seems to be that we have a faction of Christians who feel disrespected and offended by the dual Easter message and another faction of Christians who aren't. It seems like the offended faction wants their views considered and elevated above others.

1. Sharlee01 profile image77

"However, the stance against transgender identity within certain Christian teachings isn't necessarily about tolerance or intolerance in the conventional sense.  It's more rooted in theological interpretations and beliefs about gender"

In the Bible, there is no explicit mention of gender transition as understood in contemporary contexts. Scriptural references primarily emphasize the binary nature of gender as created by God, which is male or female --  as depicted in Genesis 1:27, which states that God created humans male and female. There is no mention of having a choice to make gender changes.

Consider verses such as Deuteronomy 22:5, which speaks against cross-dressing, and passages like Matthew 19:4-6, which emphasize the union of male and female in marriage.

Matthew 19:4-6 (NIV):
              "Haven’t you read,’ he replied, ‘that at the beginning the Creator “made them male and female,” and said, “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh”? So, they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate."

Yes, the Bible tells us neither to give a final judgment on a person nor to judge their actions according to our standards.

Being non-judgmental doesn't mean abandoning one's religious principles or moral convictions, in my view.  It's possible to hold firm to one's beliefs while still showing respect and kindness towards those who may hold different views or live differently.  I feel this can be achieved by engaging in respectful dialogue, seeking common ground, on other issues, and values, and focusing on shared values such as compassion, justice, and forgiveness.

2. Sharlee01 profile image77

The perceived offense or lack thereof regarding President Biden's Gender Day proclamation among different factions of Christians can be attributed to varying interpretations of religious teachings, social values, and political perspectives.

Some Christians may feel offended by the proclamation because they interpret gender identity and expression in a more traditional or conservative manner. From this perspective, affirming non-binary or transgender identities may conflict with their understanding of biblical teachings on gender and sexuality. They may feel that such proclamations undermine their religious beliefs and moral values.

On the other hand, some Christians may not feel offended by Biden's proclamation and support it. Their values, and teachings, promote acceptance of new social issues.   They may view the proclamation as a step towards affirming the rights of transgender and non-binary individuals which is consistent with their beliefs that may lean toward social justice and inclusion.

So, the offense or lack thereof among different factions of Christians stems from a complex interplay of religious beliefs, social values, political ideologies, and personal experiences.

2. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 3 weeks ago

I say Fox News accomplished its goal and triggered some of their viewers to turn a non-issue into something.  The rest of us will just go on living our lives and not worry about something meant to be a positive.

I don't know what Fox News did or didn't do, said or didn't say,  I have an antenna and can only pick up local channels, my internet service is temperamental, at best.

Do you have anything else to offer?
      I think your spinning this, indicates that  I am onto something here!

1. Valeant profile image86
        Valeantposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

What spin?  They led the way in making this into a non-issue, one that only served to trigger the people that follow far-right media.  They sell anger, and in this case, it worked.

You brought up Fox News, I didn't.  They weren't even on the radar when I initiated this forum discussion.

2. profile image59
      ybarakasposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Fox news is a total douche bag.

3. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 3 weeks ago

That someone views those that suffer from gender dysphoria as 'perverse' is more of an issue for the person who holds those views.

Do I need to spell it out?
      I was attempting to be discreet, when I used the word "perverse".

4. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 3 weeks ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)