Thousands of protesters in Illinois Raise my Taxes!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Thousands rally at Illinois Capitol — for a tax raise

Thousands of teachers and other union workers descended on the state Capitol on Wednesday and chanted "raise my taxes" to try to pressure politicians to avoid major budget cuts.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010 … income-tax

This is like fleas and ticks protesting me that I need to feed my dog more.

1. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with them!  The legislature should raise the taxes of those who desire it and leave the rest of us alone!

1. Harvey Stelman profile image60
        Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

logic,

Where is your name from?

2. Paul Revere profile image61
        Paul Revereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If someone wants to raise their taxes they are free to donate to the government of their choice. Just do not expect the money to be well spent!

2. Sab Oh profile image55
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And that you need to feed it more by having you eat less.

2. William R. Wilson profile image59
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

There's no way in hell I'd be able to afford a private teacher for my kids that could provide the same service as public education.  I get a fantastic value for what i pay in taxes and I'm very happy with it, thank you.

Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you take any deductions when you file your taxes?  Why?

Do you accept a refund from the IRS if you have one coming?  Why?

You could probably volunteer to pay more taxes if you are so inclined.

1. William R. Wilson profile image59
        William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Those questions are irrelevant to my point Arthur.  Even if I gave up my entire salary in taxes, I wouldn't be able to afford a full time teacher for my kids - plus all the other public services I take advantage of:  public libraries, public transportation, interstate highways, fire departments, police, public defenders (not that I've ever needed one but I'm glad there is such a thing) etc. etc.

While you might have some legitimate complaints about the quality of public education, the reality is that no private entity could do as much for us as cheaply as the government does.

I would bet that most if not all of those union protesters are better off then the average citizen in Illinois.

Should every American need to make a sacrifice so union thugs can maintain their lifestyle?

Teachers are union thugs?  LOL!

I've already stated that I'm happy to pay taxes so that teachers (and firefighters, and policemen, and soldiers) are paid well for what they do.  You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.  I don't want monkeys teaching my kids and protecting my neighborhood - I want highly qualified and educated people to do it. 

The government is in the best position to provide these services at the lowest cost to the majority. 

If you disagree, why don't all you libertarians go and start a laissez faire state where you pay a private entity for every single service you use. 

Come back and tell me how it works out.

1. Padrino profile image61
              Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"I've already stated that I'm happy to pay taxes so that teachers (and firefighters, and policemen, and soldiers) are paid well for what they do."

This coming from the guy who wants to cut defense spending, the military salutes you!

Wanting to cut the military budget is not the same as wanting to see soldiers get paid less or go without body armor. 

It's just like a business:  don't spend your money on stupid things.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
                  Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YEP~!!!

2. Arthur Fontes profile image75

Not the teachers I worded that wrong.  I am talking about the people who leach off the backs of the teachers.  The Union Thugs.

2. bgpappa profile image77
            bgpappaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would the Union Thugs be the teachers?

As I stated earlier the in the thread I worded that wrong the thugs are not the teachers they would be the UNION thugs.

You know the guys who do nothing but leach off of the backs of their members.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
                Doug Hughesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You seem to know as little about teaching - as you do about unions.

My father taught HS electronincs for 20 years. I belong to a union. So I am qualiried to say a little about both.  Teachers work incredibly hard - can any parent with 2 or 3 at home imagine supervising more than a dozen - and get constructive teaching done? And the work the students do is reviewd and corrected and graded outside the regular school day.

Unions ARE the memebers. There are no external 'thugs'. We elect our reps in my association ALWAYS from the working ranks.  I have plenty of criticism when they screw up, but I have no one to blame but myself because I elected them - I can call and write and be involved - the union is ME!

Top ten Highest Paid Union Bosses:

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=21533

What do these guys contribute to society in general?

2. Harvey Stelman profile image60

by,

At times they are to the children. You will learn what I teach!

3. Ralph Deeds profile image64
            Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I assume you agree that the teachers are exercising their right to free speech the same as the Tea Partiers?

It strikes me as an oversimplification to blame only the teachers and school board bureaucracy for the problems in urban schools. There are many reasons for high dropout rates and low achievement in reading, writing, math and other basics. Even the very best and most highly motivated teachers have a hard time achieving results in an environment characterized by unemployment, impoverished, single-parent families, drugs and crime. The inner cities are suffering a breakdown in many respects of which public education is only one.

Not only do they have a right I applaud them for letting everyone know their agenda.

Ralph,

I guess it's eugenics vs euthenics.

2. Padrino profile image61
      Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you need a private teacher to give you the service that the public school system provides, you can probably hire any crack head in your city to provide the same service for a couple of rocks a day.

3. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What crazy world are you living in?  Kids today can't hold a candle to graduates a decade ago, much less those of us who graduated further back than that. 

http://literaryculture.suite101.com/art … ding_rates

I'd like to make this point specifically:

It's really scary when you have adults who have been through graduate school and they're posting a 20% decline in reading proficiency.  So much for public education.

I'm not talking about the quality of public education as much as I'm talking about the overall value of what we get for our tax dollars.  I agree that public education is going downhill in many ways (although the metrics can be a little misleading).

I actually have a few problems with the whole theory of public education in general and the fact that it is simply indoctrination into the industrialized herd/worker mentality. 

If I had my way I'd homeschool my kids or hire a private tutor.  But, as I've pointed out, there's no way I could afford that. 

So I take what I can get.  I can do what my parents did, and fill in the gaps for my kids, teach them the things they won't learn in public school.

1. ledefensetech profile image67

Will, you really need to read up on economics.  Classical economics not that Keynesian nonsense.  Most people would rather homeschool or tutor their kids but they can't.  Why?  Because having a "free" public option in education means that normal economic forces are not allowed to work.  In a normal market, prices tend to fall over time.  One of the things that keeps prices from falling is a subsidy.  Public education is a subsidy of the educational market. 

That's one of the reasons why while we spend more per student we're getting less and less quality.  Google "Theory of Bureaucratic Displacement" and Dr. Max Gammon.  I'm curious to know if you really know what your kids are being taught in school and if you need to "fill in the gaps" or re-educate your kids entirely.

2. profile image0
        LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jeez, its like Fahrenheit 451.

The only way that can be fixed is by having kids stop spending so much time on the TV and video games, which requires responsible parents with the time to actually be there to take care of their kids, which in turn requires the parents to not have to both work long hours to be able to live well, which requires a good economy which is helped by having well educated adults going into the work force and getting good paying jobs and contributing to the entire system, which requires that those children to get a good education and good job by going to college and getting a degree, but to go to college these children need to do well in school and have parents that have the money and time to help them get their. It seems to be an endless cycle.

Looking back at this it seems to be a jumbled mess, I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

The solution is rather simple.  It takes parents being that parent.  In the end we pay these people, they should be offering us a service second to none.  If they can't do that, then we should have the freedom to choose what's best for ourselves.

1. profile image0

I'm sorry, but can you clarify that a little? What do you mean, "It takes parents being that parent"?

Being the parent that speaks up at PTA meetings and school board meetings.  Far too often people let this stuff happen on autopilot.  Perhaps that is to be expected as parents are hard at work providing for their families, but it's difficult to keep groups like school boards focused on the work they are supposed to be doing and less on the ivory tower nonsense that is creating a situation in which our future is less educated than our past.

1. profile image0

Oh, your sentence makes sense now. You're completely right. Thanks.

3. Harvey Stelman profile image60

led,

I love it. But they are better at computer games, we didn't have them.

4. Harvey Stelman profile image60

William,

Try paying two care-givers, and helping to support family. That's just for starters. If my taxes go up it hurts many.

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Great analogy, Arthur!

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I agree somewhat with William. I don't really have a big problem with paying taxes for services. What I hate is paying taxes that go for stupid grants like studying the sexual habits of South American tree frogs!

1. samboiam profile image59
      samboiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing like a horny toad.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We all can agree with that, but the big budget items are two wars, Medicare due to skyrocketing health care costs and the huge ongoing military budget which continues to rise, thanks to the military-industrial complex, even though the Cold War ended 20 years ago. Corruption is also a significant factor in some urban school districts. A financial administrator appointed for the Detroit public schools has exposed outright theft and waste of millions of dollars by corrupt school administration officials.

1. profile image0

http://kiplinger.com/infographics/balan … t/map.html

19% of the government's budget is spent on the military.

Healthcare is 23%.

Pensions are 22%

Discretionary spending - which includes education - is only 16%.

If we could successfully cut major costs, or even just minor cuts, out of defense, healthcare, or pensions we could provide much more money to public education.

I just want to add that education is only a very small part of that 16%.  Discretionary spending includes the space program, national parks, environmental protection, disaster relief, homeland security, medical research, foreign aid, etc. etc. etc.

Otherwise, right on.

Ralph,

I'm in shock, DETROIT!  That city is almost 100% Democratic, it must be a mistake.

5. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Gee... people who suck money from the public via Government Jobs want to raise taxes so their jobs are secure, but people who don't suck money from Government Jobs get to foot the bill.

That makes sense.  50% of the public now relies on Government for most of their income.  By 2020 it's projected to be 66%.

America is being destroyed by Government.  In the not to distant future it's not inconceivable that the private sector will disappear all together.  Complete collapse of the country.

The Government can not produce anything but despair and destruction.

None of the pro government people really want to work... they just want handouts and expect other people to pay their way.

That system doesn't work... and results in extreme poverty.

As noted there is nothing stopping these Government Employees from taking voluntary pay cuts or donating a larger portion of their income to the Government.  All they have to do is write the check and Uncle Sam will cash it.

And the media always picks up on anything to do with Teachers and Schools... because that's the easiest way to control the population.  Always use children as hostages to try and get their way.  What a load of crap.

There are thousands of cuts that can be made before education.

"None of the pro government people really want to work... they just want handouts and expect other people to pay their way."

Are you including me in this ridiculous blanket statement?

Mike,

Don't you get it, they want to destroy America. Then everyone will depend on gov't (them) for any and everything.maybe they will have us become a colony for another country.

6. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

I don't know if I'd go as far as to call teachers ticks on the dog.  District administrators and union reps, sure, a frighteningly large number of them are.  But I know a crap ton of teachers and they are good, hard-working people stuck in overflowing classrooms following ever-changing and increasingly moronic guidelines that grow more and more distant from anything resembling effective pedagogy as each school year goes by. 

There's so much social programming and crap going on now, so much politics, nobody above the classroom cares about the 3 Rs, and the teachers don't have time to teach those because they're too busy meeting arbitrary requirements that are being administered by the large bureaucratic mass hovering politically above them. The money goes to feeding that fat mass and developing new programs and enforcing them.  It costs very little to teach math, reading and writing.  PE is cheap too, a soccer ball and four orange cones will get it done.  Get those little fat f-ers outside and make them run and stop testing their fitness levels every two weeks to appease the statisticians on the payroll trying to justify their jobs.

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm a retired teacher, and you're exactly right! Every year, we had less time to actually TEACH because we were bogged down in red tape. Now we have to teach the kids values and we have to make sure they feel good about themselves. My question was always, "Whose values do we teach? How do we decide?"

And BTW, there are no teacher unions around here.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Habee - as a retired teacher - do you think we improve schools by increasing the number of students per teacher? Will we inspire excellence by slashing teacher salaries?

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

By your logic, I am older than you so I'm better educated, so you'd better accept that I know better than you do and not argue with me over politics big_smile

Not really, you weren't educated in a US public school.  Be thankful.  I know you think you know better than I do, but not really.  Still the great debate goes on and on and on....smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So sad how a sense of humour was not included in your education.

8. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

I think we can all agree this is a tough economy right now.  There are many people who would be happy with any employment.

Then there are people who have pension plans and paid health care, vacations, sick days, personal days,  etc. etc. etc.

All paid for with tax dollars.  Then to have the audacity to ask those that have their heads above water to sacrifice more of their income to sustain a spoiled aristocracy of government workers.

When you see a guy treading water do you throw him a floatation device or an anchor?

Once again thank you for exposing your superior attitude to your fellow Americans!

The good news, if you can call it that, is that the public education system is unsustainable.  The fact that these protests are occurring is the first signs that they system is cracking up.  It's funny how many times the "public option" in any field of endeavor tends to not only be worse than the "private option" but is almost always unsustainable. 

Harvey, the only quibble I have with your characterization of Detroit is the use of the word Democratic.  Truth be told the city has been in decline, like many in the US, due to Progressive policies.  Remember Republicans can be Progressives too, just ask W and John McCain, or Arlen Specter for that matter.

Funny thing is that we probably would have been staunch Democrats in the years after the Civil War.  At least until William Jennings Bryan came to power and shifted the Democratic Party to a more Progressive stance in the 1890's.  Come to think of it, that's about the time we stopped having the Hamiltonian vs Jeffersonian discussions and started debated on which form of Hamiltonian centralization we should use.

1. Harvey Stelman profile image60

led,

A better examle of a Republican Progressive would have been Teddy Roosevelt.

I couldn't say Progressives in Detroit because the voters would not have understood. I truly did not understand what a Progressive is, until Obama was elected. They voted blindly for Democrat's.

Nixon, if you'd like a more contemporary Republican or better yet GW Bush.  He opened the door Obama kicked open.  Not to mention Medicare Part D.

9. Harvey Stelman profile image60
    Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years ago

Teachers have it so bad. A friend of mine taught H.S. and had an ending salary of $125,000. His miserable pension is only 80%.

1. Paul Revere profile image61
      Paul Revereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How does the poor guy get by?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)