Where were you and what did you think or feel the day jfk died.

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (43 posts)
  1. salt profile image60
    saltposted 13 years ago

ralwus left a comment on one of my hubs about jfk. I was touched by what seemed to me to be a real sense of place and time and emotion from a point in history that must have meant alot to many. He said it changed the world.

If anyone has any recollections of the jfk assassination, can they tell me in this forum. I would love to add them as a new hub.

I note here, I am apparently related to eisenhower or rosavelt, I never remember which one. It was the US president that spoke about not having fear.

1. salt profile image60
      saltposted 13 years ago

come on anyone,... the responses Ive seen of people who were around then are very emotional and real... there must be some here who remember...

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I was in college-- I wrote a hub about it.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Nov-1963--A-President-Falls

1. salt profile image60
        saltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

can I add yours as a link to my hub on the assassination?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
          Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Feel free. Thanks.

3. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

I was five years old, so I didn't fully comprehend the magnitude of the event, but I knew something really bad had happened by how emotional my parents were when they talked about it.

4. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years ago

Roosevelt said nothing to fear but fear itself. JFK's assassination did change the world. Many young people changed and no longer trusted the gov't  and even the media was changed. People living in poverty all over the globe had pictures of JFK and many still revere him. I felt betrayed and hurt, still do at times.

1. manlypoetryman profile image82
        manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ralwus makes an astute point...about how JFK's assassination changed the world. Especially, if you study how much BS is involved in the investigation and the actual events of that day. What ralwus states fits into my own believes of how we have deteriorated down from this particular time...among many. There was so much (I mean alot) going on at this pivotal moment in history (Just look at the late 50's/then the 60's). How would these things been handled w/ JFK at the helm?

I was a baby in a stroller about one month from walking for the first time in El Paso, Texas.

It occurs to me that not only did much distrust come from this assassination...but also...blind following of what our government tells us...in all situations becomes apparent...as well. For one reason: Although you can argue back and forth on just who killed JFK and how and why. None of the explanations really make sense...with alot of the evidence...and even in later years...with the evidence. Already...there is uncertainity in a very tragic situation. Do you choose to believe what your government says happenened during said event...or do you want a better explanation...for what occurred?

1. salt profile image60

Reflective thinking and all very poignant.

2. someonewhoknows profile image73
        someonewhoknowsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was 1o years old when J.F.K.was asassinated.
        I was kneeling in church at the time when a priest's voice was heard on a loud speaker declaring what had happened.His voice was clearly distressed of course as he spoke.

Kennedy was clearly one of our greatest presidents.
        It seems Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy had some mystical relationship.
        Both ,tried to eliminate the usuery that the worlds banks and federal reserve banks demanded from the working people of the world and the united states.
        Both,printed up their own currency backed by the faith and credit of the bank of the unitedstates that had no interest attached to their use.With Lincoln it was the greenback,with Kennedy it was unitedstates banknotes backed by silver.Which by the way his executive order concerning printing up these unitedstates banknotes is still in effect,but ignored.

If,you noticed it on your one dollar bills it says on them which federal reserve bank printed them up.None of any of the other bills say where they were printed.They simply say "the system."

The way things are going worldwide,eventually we will have one currency in North America as they do in the European Union.Many European countries didn't even ratify the Euro as their new currency.Do you think we in North America will have any choice?

The ultimate purpose will be to have only a one world currency,and after that no currency at all.Just Electronic digits on a computer.Tied to either a card like a debitcard and maybe even a chip or some other electronically tracked system.This has some connection to the new testament warning ,not to accept the "MARK OF THE BEAST" and those who do not accept the mark will not be allowed to buy or sell without it.   

Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy.
        Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln.

1. salt profile image60

Wonderful!

3. salt profile image60

roosevelt was right... it is fear, because if he was to die, being frightened of death is worse than being prepared for it. That is the key.. You have to not be frightened, but still be aware of the world.

Roosevelt was a distant relative.

5. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

i recall the day but didn't understand what has happening - really, really, young.  I just remember my mother and father crying while watching the television.  So as a wee one it stood out because I had never seen my parents act that way.  years later I realize what happened - my age at the time and the year he died.  The memory came back to me and I put it all together.  There would have been no other reason for them to have watched television and be upset the way they were.  And..they were both supporters of JFK.  Kinda like remembering a traumatic event that was tucked away.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I was in Scotland and all I remember are scenes of his funeral on TV. I was 6.

I remember RFK's murder so much more, we were working on a project about the US election in school. I instinctively liked Bobby and couldn't stand Nixon smile I was quite upset by his death.

7. barranca profile image77
      barrancaposted 13 years ago

I was a sophomore in high school.  I just remember how our entire country was stunned and everyone sat around watching television, the news and the funeral for what seems in retrospect, an entire week.  9/11 pales in significance by comparison.  I believe that Kennedy's assassination was the beginning of the end of the American democractic experiment.  It has been downhill since.

8. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years ago

There was something magical about that day. I was in the sixth grade and knew nothing of politics or the world out side But we all knew that this day changed the the course of out nation.   
         You could see the fear and disillusionment in peoples faces. Almost like the day we found out about Santa.
         And in the following years, confidence in our leaders was lost. 
        The days of Camelot were lost forever, and we knew it.

9. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I just gotta add...  It trully was a day that the world stood still.  And a sixth grader felt it.

10. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

It was a sad day also in that his death was televised and we had never seen anything like this before.  I liken that event to the feeling of realisation that was forthcoming when we saw the 2nd plane hit the twin towers. 

As with the shooting of Bobby Kennedy it was a truely an OMG moment.

Technically, his death was not televised. Films made at the time were not seen by the general public until about 1975. But the surrounding events and the funeral were seen on TV.

11. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I was only a child, but I remembr my parent's shocked faces as they shouted at me to shut up so they could listen to the newscaster on the radio (we didn't have TV then). It was also the first time I'd heard of such a thing as an electric chair. That freaked me out and gave me nightmares for a long long time.

12. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 13 years ago

I wasn't even born yet but truly know based on family stories that he was the best President that our Country ever had. smile

He never got to fulfill his potential. As to being the best... not sure about that, but there were a lot of people who idolized him.

13. MikeNV profile image68
      MikeNVposted 13 years ago

I was in the same place when Marilyn Monroe Died, When Benjamin Franklin Died, and when Jesus walked the earth.

14. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I was not born as of yet. I was born in 68, and he was shot a few years beforehand. So, I wouldn't have a clue if I was anywhere, except a thought in my father's mind(who wanted a son). With that said...I do not know. lol

1. Richieb799 profile image76
        Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

We were but twinkles in our fathers eye lol. JFK was a good man

15. barranca profile image77
      barrancaposted 13 years ago

If you really want to think about the JFK assassination, watch the following utube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srstQVfVNEM

16. donotfear profile image84
      donotfearposted 13 years ago

Well, I was in kindergarten when this happened. I barely remember that day, only foggy images of alarm....my teacher, Mrs. Culver, seemingly distressed. I think I went to my grandparents store that day with my Mom & I remember them talking about it. Can't remember any one conversation, just can recall that the news was nothing but the assination. I got so tired of seeing it over & over....especially the next day. I wanted my cartoons!!

17. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

I was 5 and had measles.  I was watching TV and the programme was interupted with a news flash to say Kennedy had been shot.  I got up to tell my parents and they rushed in to hear the news.  I wasn't really sure what was going on but my parents were very worried.  My mum lived in terror of another world war and had experienced the worst of the Blitz in the East End of London.  She was convinced that a nuclear war was looming and felt that with the death of JFK, it had just got closer.

18. elayne001 profile image77
      elayne001posted 13 years ago

I was in junior high when jfk died. I remember we had an early morning dance and at the end of it, they announced that he had been shot. Students were walking around crying and upset and it was hard to concentrate on school. Then later they reported over the loud speaker that he had passed away. It was very shocking and then they called school off for the rest of the day since noone could concentrate anyway. It was a sad time for our country.

19. maven101 profile image71
      maven101posted 13 years ago

I was a freshly minted USMC 2nd lieutenant and was shopping with my wife for a color TV...We saw the news report of JFK's assassination on a store TV...Everybody gathered around the TV and in a shocked silence listened to the newscaster tell us that JFK had been shot by persons unknown at that time...They showed film of JFK being rushed to some hospital in Dallas and reporting that he was undergoing emergency surgery...I turned to my wife and said " He's Irish, he's tough, he'll survive this BS "...How wrong I was... Driving home I noticed the solemnity and anger of other drivers...It was a terrible day spent glued to the tube, as news updates continued all night and for the next two days...I remember being very angry that this could happen in America...as the story gradually came out, we found that a committed communist, and sadly, a former Marine, took away this inspirational and unique President...I agree with Ralwus, the anger and frustration still lingers with those of us that lived through that terrible day...Larry

20. timorous profile image80
      timorousposted 13 years ago

I was 10 years old, living in Toronto.  I remember being in school..it was a Friday afternoon, and the principal made the announcemnt over the P.A. system.  Even though we only had a peripheral awareness of the U.S., we could easily pick up the Buffalo TV stations.  We heard and read quite a bit about JFK.  He was revered as a really smart, decent guy.

Over that weekend in November 1963, I watched the TV news about what had transpired that Friday.

But the real shocker was on Sunday afternoon, 2 days later.  They showed Lee Harvey Oswald being moved from the police lockup to another location.  It was shown 'live' on TV.  I saw him being shot "as it happened" along with millions of other viewers.  It was a scene that is indelibly printed on my brain.

The whole affair was definitely a turning point.  Not the least of which was the cover-up and farce known as the Warren Commission.  Unfortunately, no one that has any 'real' knowledge or evidence is still alive to tell what they know, so the truth will never be known..only speculation. 

The other turning point was LBJ escalating the war in Viet Nam, and the increasingly bloody and negative news reports and body bags coming back, which led to the protest marches of the mid sixties, and the hippie counter-culture.  It all went down hill from there (politically at least).  Sad.

21. profile image50
      MADelynWoeposted 13 years ago

I was 6 years old.  I was watching Jungle Jim with Johnny Weismueller.  I don't know why I was not in school.  I remember the announcement that the show was to be interrupted by a news bulletin.  I remember being annoyed that news was going to interrupt my show.  When the news was told, I heard my mother moan with pain and she dropped to the floor weeping.  Apparently, this was just on the TV announcement that "shots were fired".
      My memory sees the motorcade and the black and white incident and me paralyzed in horror.  But I don't think they televised the shooting...did they?  My memory sees it on TV and I could see the brains and blood spray.

22. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I dont know about him until I was ten years old, was not born yet when he died, am still in the Philippines

23. Mike Lickteig profile image75
      Mike Lickteigposted 13 years ago

I remember standing in the kitchen of my parents' home when they heard the news.  They were so shocked and sad.  I don't remember it well except for the expression of sadness on my mother's face.

24. salt profile image60
      saltposted 13 years ago

What am I trying to get from this discussion? Is it the death of a President? The death of the ideals that he stood for or the death of a man that was believed to be the best of our leaders?

What was it exactly that caused such grief?

1. Ms Dee profile image86
        Ms Deeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was 10 in 4th grade with memories similar to "timorous".  It was VERY sad.  I was glued to the TV for days.  I now understand it was shock and fear I was sensing from adults, too.  The traumatic shock I soaked in from those around me and the TV has had me searching ever since as to the Why.  It was a brutal assassination like one would expect in S. America, Asia, etc. at that time -- not in America.

I agree with "cheaptrick" that it was quite a fatal blow to our democracy - a government of the people.  See http://www.ratical.com/ratville/JFK/ToA/ToA.html . After some years of extensive reading (which I continue to do), I think this book puts together the pieces pretty well as to what happened (and is continuing). Watergate is all tied into this, too.  The faith in the office of the Presidency, our government, the dream of America died that day, as it uncovered the gradual take over of America which had begun at least as early as the beginning of the 20th century.

25. cheaptrick profile image73
      cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

Anyone seen JFK's last speech?
      It will scare the Sh#t out of you!
      You will then Understand who and why they murdered him!
      I believe he was our last President!
      Everyone after him was a Puppet!

26. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years ago

It seems that way cheaptrick. lol lol

27. profile image0
      jerrylposted 13 years ago

I had just come out of surgery.  My appendix busted during the operation.  A week later, infection set in, and they had to operate again and insert drain tubes.  I was in the hospital for 31 days, and lost about 65 pounds. 

After the first week of nothing but depressing news, I was praying for a soap opera, and I hate those kind of shows.

JFK's murder was very sad indeed.  All of the buzz around the hospital corridors was about him. 

After doing some research, I still believe that the garbage put out by the government is nothing more than a smokescreen for what really happened.

On June 4th, 1963, JFK signed executive order # 11110.  This would have eventually taken away the power that the New York federal reserve had over our monetary system.  Although I cannot prove that this was the sole reason for what happened to
      JFK, I think it is highly likely, that it had something to do with the event. There was a lot of power and money at stake.

to find more info on exec order # 11110, Search Yahoo for "JFK verses the federal reserve".

I think you will find it interesting.

1. AnnCee profile image68
        AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, Jerryl.  Lincoln also went around the Fed to fund the war.

28. AnnCee profile image68
      AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

I was at school on lunch break when my girlfriend who always ate at home returned to campus and told me she had heard it on the news.  I burst into tears immediately and didn't even go back into the school.  I walked home crying.  I found that my stepfather had left work and gone home too.  We both cried for a long time.   He loved John Kennedy from the first, he even made a sign and a costume and bought a push car for my little brother to ride in the the kid's day parade, activities that were completely outside his normal range.  I felt like a dark hole in the universe had opened up, like the world was changed forever.

The other members of our family were nonplussed at our reaction.  It's a mystery.

29. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

i was just strands of DNA

30. AnnCee profile image68
      AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)