And Now Shirley Sherrod...

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

But you can't say...I mean you can't suggest...it's not as if there is a pattern emerging of...well, never mind...

The good news is that this racist is not working in the government anymore.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She was given a public apology by the White House.  The video that Fox news propagated was edited to reflect a false view to further their hideous agenda.

1. tony0724 profile image60
        tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

But she was fired before the video report ever was televised. This is a kneejerk reaction by Government to anything that FOX or any other conservative news organization does. Because they are playing defense.

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is bull!  She got fired because of FOX news and has since been reinstated and given an apology.  What FOX did and has been doing is wrong.  Stop watching them Tony, I love you but they are no good. 

She got the news while she was on the road asking her to resign because she was on Glen Beck.

The owner of FOX bought his way into the media but started off as an owner of a popular tabloid and apparently his tactics have not changed.

2. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There must have been some kind of change in regulation of the media AND the libel laws I would think ?   I recall people winning millions in damagaes from just a libellous attack by themedia, never mind outright lies.  Doesn't the media have some code that they are supposed to enforce themselves about this kind of thing - where did that go ?

1. lovemychris profile image76
          lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Was probably removed during the last administration.

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I'm sure that Eric Holder will come out soon and say "Move along, nothing to see here."

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Right before he lambastes the US for being cowards on racial issues.

3. Flightkeeper profile image66

And I'm sure the white farmers of Georgia are planning to loot the shops to retaliate against this obvious racism.

Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And did you notice the organization that was sponsoring the event where she made her ugly remarks? I'm sure they will issue an apology very soon, especially in light of recent demands placed on the teaparty movement.

4. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

Yes the true colors are so funny when exposed.

Obama has a closet full of racists working for him... but watch out for the tea party. lolllllllll

Too bad they don't know which white guy she screwed, he could sue.

But then again after that statement, I would think any white person who applied for help and was turned away should file a discrimination suit against her and Obama and the entire Govt.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

From what I just read, she admitted in a speech that she had been racist in making a decision. At least she admitted it herself; the only thing she could do was to resign.

The NAACP sponsored an event she spoke at, they are not responsible for what people not in their organization say.

And here we go...

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Forgive me for disagreeing with your spin...

I believe she was wrong and she had to resign.

Spin? What spin?

That somehow the NAACP has to apologize for her...

I have nothing more to say on this topic.

1. TMMason profile image60
              TMMasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is just absurd that the NAACP cries about racists in other groups and they have more than thier share of racists speaking at thier functions.

The NAACP is simply a bunch of racist loosers.

2. Sab Oh profile image55

You mean the group that recently demanded that another, far less established organization apologize and filter out any random racist nut that might show up at one of many open gatherings but invited a racist government official who abused her position in a discriminatory manner and boasted about it to a receptive audience? That group?

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
                Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sab Oh lol lol you have to stop stating the obvious, it's way too much work.

1. profile image0
                  Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She only resigned because she got caught.

She thought she was in a safe, friendly, fellow racist territory, and that blew up in her face.

Not all blacks are racists you know, UW.

3. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

But they are responsible for not shouting her down at the time of the act. We all know they did not want that video to see the light of day. Their silence is there complicity.

4. Jim Hunter profile image61

Kind of like the Tea Party isn't responsible for what someone at their event says?

I am glad the left is so consistent.

Oh wait...

6. Flightkeeper profile image66

Yes, and I noticed the smirks on the video while she was talking about how the white man was taking a long time to talk because he was acting all superior to her. I have no idea what that means. I guess I have to be black to figure that out. In the future if a black applicant for a job comes to me, I will take him or her to his or her own kind, it'll be my way of helping.

7. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

The details of this story are still emerging.  It appears the video was heavily edited, that Shirley Sherrod went on to provide considerable assistance to the farmer, and that she eventually became friends with the farmer and his wife.

Farmer's wife says fired USDA official helped save their land

Apparently, Fox News did their typically shoddy reporting, ala the ACORN/pimp scandal.

Go FOX!

lol There is always more to a story isn't there? I mean, even I commented without knowing the full story...there is a lesson in this smile Of course, some people will just believe what they want to believe anyway regardless of the facts. Sad really.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Open-minded, intelligent people will change their mind when they get the full story.

2. LiamBean profile image79
        LiamBeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the "non-racists" here took Brietbard's highly edited version as gospel...again!

They never learn.

2. Jim Hunter profile image61

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrNWw7TGkjo

This isn't heavily edited.

But that really wouldn't matter to you, would it?

Nothing to see, no racism here move along now.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like I said, the story is emerging and the truth will come out one way or another.  Did you read the article?  It described her comments in the context of the entire speech.

Why do you think the white farmers that she supposedly didn't help are defending her?

3. Sab Oh profile image55

"Shirley Sherrod went on to provide considerable assistance to the farmer, and that she eventually became friends with the farmer and his wife."

Well, that fixes everything! I'll bet some of her best friends are white people ...

Can you imagine this kind of twisting and rationalizing to play the apologist for some white government official who said/did the same as she? Never happen. And it shouldn't. There is no excuse for that kind of racism and discriminatory abuse of power no matter who does it. Politics and double standards again, no matter how outrageous the circumstances.

I suppose all the apologists will now find that the poor, misunderstood woman was coerced into resigning by some conspiratorial forces that lead back to Dick Cheney or some such nonsense...

lead back to Andrew Breitbart, not Dick Cheney.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image64

You're right. The tape of an incident that occurred 18 years ago was edited or doctored by Breitbart and the government fired the woman without investigating. She should get her job back from the reports I've been hearing. The farmer and his wife credit Sherrod with saving their farm from foreclosure and they consider her a good friend.

... roll

8. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Ahh- another mealy mouthed sick o fantasy thread about racism by racists.  I can understand why the media constantly spin this bu@@@@it but how anyone can be so mind bogglingly stupid as to go along with it and support the twisted system that produces it is beyond me.

9. JON EWALL profile image59
    JON EWALLposted 13 years ago

HUBBERS

WHAT A TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE for someone who 24 years ago did something that was wrong and recognized the wrong she did. In today’s world racism still exists but in those days many years ago before the REV. Martin King era, it was rampant in some parts of the country.
    The NAACP exposed Ms. Sherrod’s racism in a speech that she gave to the NAACP some 4 months ago.The travesty is that the released tape was not shown in its entirety that would of explained the whole story. Again the half truth  was shown to characterize Ms Sherrod  as a racist for her action which Ms Sherrod admitted too. She was character assassinated by our government without even a review to determine her true feelings and actions to correct her mistake. Social justice was served instead of equal justice for all as our constitution establishes one’s rights.

The NAACP recently accused the tea party members of being racist without proof of racism. People who live in glass houses should not throw rocks, the NAACP needs to look within and simply remove some of the racist within the organization.

What more proof do you need than the TeaTard's allowing virulently racist caricatures of President Obama at their rallies?

10. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

When you listen to the full context of the tape there's no doubt she's speaking about how she OVERCAME racism. She talks about how she felt after her father was killed by a white man. She talked about the prejudice she brought to her job -- using the example of the white farmer and taking him to "one of his kind."
    But that's where the edited tape ends.
    It cuts out the part where she describes how she came to understand it's not about black or white, but about poor farmers  -- no matter what color their skin.

Her firing was premature, and most likely inappropriate. If that excerpt of that speech is all they've got her on, they really need to apologize. Or at minimum put her on paid administrative leave while they investigate.

Fox News owes her and the NAACP a huge apology.
    The Obama staffer who pushed her to resign owes her an apology.

Hannity, O'Neil and Beck have backed away from the story and are pointing their fingers at Teatard Andrew Breitbart.

11. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

so, as usual, the far right making up what isn't true.

sad that this happened. she will receive her apologies.

12. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Not enough. They need to be shut down. That's 2 so far...Jones and now Sherrod.

And Breitbart said he went after Sherrod to get back at the NAACP.
    Just like Beck went after Jones because Jones told people to boycott his show.

Using public airwaves to take out personal vendettas???

Not with MY AIR you don't freak-show!

As the righty hero Reagan once said: "I own that microphone"

The Fox Freak Show.

*boooohooohooohoohoooooooo*

blubbering blubber ball.

"They need to be shut down."

Good ol' chavez liberalism...

No actually,  Conservative Christian Bushism.

YOU said "They need to be shut down."

???

YOU said shutting them down would be like a Chavez liberal,I'm sayin it would be like a Conservative Christian Bush supporter.
            Already happened btw. Focus on the Family and the Family Research Council effectively got Howard Stern shut off the air...with the help of Bush's FCC man Michael Powell.

Good for thre Goose, good for the gander.

BOYCOTT FOX!!!

Course, I've had to boycott Faux AND talk radio, which I used to love.....although I have found a new radio spot: 1090 am WILD in Boston. Speaks to my mind-set MUCH more than the rightwing/bagger variety.

And I don't remember what it was I watched, but a show stated that the 1st act of Bush's AG was to stifle all dissent of the President.
            I do remember that too...it was anti-American and giving aid and comfort to the enemy to diss Bush....what a difference now huh? Public figures say whatever they please about President Obama...even call him a liar in Public!!

I'd say there is more free speech now than under Bush. People--especially public officials were afraid of being un-American/anti-Troop when the steel claw was around their neck (GOP control).

Cons are SO good at conning!!! The name fits.

"YOU said shutting them down would be like a Chavez liberal,I'm sayin it would be like a Conservative Christian Bush supporter.
              Already happened btw. Focus on the Family and the Family Research Council effectively got Howard Stern shut off the air...with the help of Bush's FCC man Michael Powell."

Maybe you are not familiar with what has gone on in Venezuela under that nut chavez. Look into it, you might find it interesting.

And as I've told you before, that idiot Stern wasn't "forced off the air," he jumped at the chance to take a HUGE contract with a satellite radio channel. If you really want to hear him but are too cheap to pay for the satellite channel that is no excuse for repeating a falsehood over and over and over.

WRONG! I was a fan, and I know he did not want to leave commercial radio. He was going to lose millions of listeners, like myself, who cannot afford satellite radio!

He gained millions of dollars.

Do you really think he cared about you?

Exactly! Do you think that goofy-looking idiot paused for even a second because he might not be heard by YOU? He would have been an even bigger idiot if he had. Stop being so cheap if you really want to hear him so badly.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64

You mean TeoCons! or Tea-O-Cons.

13. mikelong profile image60
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

"But you can't say...I mean you can't suggest...it's not as if there is a pattern emerging of...well, never mind...

The good news is that this racist is not working in the government anymore."

Good job Sab...on point, and correct as usual...when it comes to being completely wrong, biased, and prejudicial....

I'll borrow an expression from your book...

Oh brother! roll

14. lovemychris profile image76

PERFECT!!!

Teatard Teocons...come and get it!
    Seen one, you seen em all.

And once and for all to the wax-ears in the house:

I listened to Stern everyday. He said repeatedly he did not want to leave "his home". He was forced to because he could not SPEAK FREELY under Bush's Christian Conservative Censorship which FINED his company to death.

Focus on the Family
    Family Research Group, or Council whatever they called themselves called advertisers, sponsors, told them they would not buy their products if they advertised on Stern...
    He was fined huge amounts of money for speaking. And you call yourselves First Amendment supporters... It's bunk just like your "Christian" love. All bunk. Actions my dear, speak louder than words.
    Think about it.

15. Doc Snow profile image88
    Doc Snowposted 13 years ago

This story, to my way of thinking, exemplifies what is wrong with a whole lot of our public discourse today.

A whole bunch of folks have got caught up in thinking that the other side is so bad that "the ends justify the means."  So they will say and do whatever it takes to "win," and integrity be damned.

Whoever edited the tape knew that he/she was creating a misleading storyline.  Presumably, they didn't care, either because of ideology or because it was their job.  Fox may not have known, but apparently didn't try to find out--it fit their institutional preconceptions, so they were ready to believe, presumably.  (Never mind that one of the biggest tasks of a professional journalist is to check facts, and verify the story.)

The Secretary was guilty of a rush to judgment, by his own admission--I have to believe because he was in political "damage control" mode.

But we see this pattern repeated in different areas--the climate change issue, for example.  It's one thing to have a point of view--I certainly have mine--but quite another to willfully distort what in fact you know--even if you think it makes you a better advocate for what you believe.

16. lovemychris profile image76

"Media corporations share members of the board of directors with a variety of other large corporations including banks, investment companies, oil companies, health care, pharmaceutical, and technology companies.  Until the 1980's, media systems were generally domestically owned, regulated, and national in scope.  However, pressure from the IMF, World Bank, and US government to deregulate and privatize, the media, communication, and new technology resulted in a global commercial media system dominated by a small number of super-powerful transnational media corporations (mostly US based), working to advance the cause of global markets and the CIA agenda."

If you listened to Olbermann's special comment of last night, you know that Fox is owned by an Australian, whose second largets share-holder is a Saudi Prince.

THESE are the people that are "informing" America...highest rated!!
    Lot of manipulation going on, and it's so much LIES and DECEIPT.
    What is their agenda? To make money. To destroy people coming together...maybe coming together against THEM!

Just ask yourself....do you have any doubts about President Obama? Not from what you've seen on your own, but from what you've heard??
    It sneaks into your consciousness...out of your control. It's subliminal. Like hmmmmm, maybe he is a communist? Maybe he does hate his mother and grandparents.....do you see how STUPID that is?

arrrgggghhhh

"If you listened to Olbermann's special comment of last night, you know that Fox is owned by an Australian, whose second largets share-holder is a Saudi Prince."

The competition to fox news spends its time talking about fox news?

Doesn't sound like they know how to market their product very well.

That may be why they are losing the ratings war.

17. Mighty Mom profile image77

I think what the average FOX viewer/listener fails to recognize is that Hannity, O'Reilly, Beck et al all are NOT journalists. They are commentators. They are comedians. They are opinionistas.
    They do not espouse journalistic ethics of fair and balanced reporting.
    But the average person watching/listening doesn't know the difference.
    Essentially, they are more like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert than news reporters. Only Stewart and Colbert do a better job of research and are funny and do not pretend to be "real" news sources. Fox "NEWS" unfortunately, does.

18. Mighty Mom profile image77

Of course Olberman et al are losing the ratings war. They are not backed by Rupert Murdoch's $$$$$$.
    Not only that, Fox plays to an audience that prefers to be spoonfed lies than to actually form opinions of their own based on research.
    This phenomenon is nothing new.
    In NY (where I grew up) the Daily News and the Post (tabloids)waaayyy out-sold the NYT or WSJ. Why? Because the NYT and WSJ require thought to get through.
    Don't know the figures but could look that up.
    Laziness has only increased over time. It's sad.
    No, it's more than sad. It's dangerous.

1. LiamBean profile image79
      LiamBeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The brainless are so easy to control.

You know I heard that the birthers are right; Obama was born on Mars.

2. Jim Hunter profile image61

"Fox plays to an audience that prefers to be spoonfed lies than to actually form opinions of their own based on research"

And you know this how?

Oh, you really don't know, but saying it made you feel good?

This is why most conservatives laugh at liberals, while you are looking for someone to blame we are conquering.

Fox news is beating the competition because the product is better.

It really isn't that hard to figure out.

19. lovemychris profile image76

I think he was trying to get you to see that the Rah Rah We Are the Best Americans attitude of Fox is phony.
    They are owned by non-Americans. Why would you trust them in having the best interest of America in mind?

Who knows where their loyalties lie?

Olberman is great btw....he says exactly what I feel. I'm actually surprised he gets to stay on the air. He's way too honest for that. hahaha

20. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

Okay now this is really funny, Fox and Beck were the only news outlet that did not jump to the racist conclusions that the White House, the USDA, and the NAACP did while running for cover.

Which is really funny because it was an NAACP tape. Beck actually defended Ms. Sherrod the day she was forced to resign, and it was the pressure from Fox that forced them to offer her not only her job back, but reportedly give her a promotion.

From July 20, 2010

http://video.foxnews.com/#/v/4289503/be … t_id=86917

You LP’s really need to get your facts straight before spouting,

If you really want to laugh you ass off watch these.

From yesterday, 7/21/10

I watched the USDA press conference yesterday and I swear somebody is gonna have to get Tom Vilsack a new suit, he fell on his sword so many times protecting the White House’s jump to conclusions, it’s got to be full of holes. Kinda like their story.

21. Mighty Mom profile image77

That's not entirely implausible, LiamBean.
    You know they always talk about INTELLIGENT LIFE ON MARS=D

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)