WikiLeaks

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

Can somebody, preferably someone who knows the right answer, enlighten me about 'WikiLeaks !'

Somebody somewhere knows who is behind all the leaks and yet all the authorities, from the US President downwards,  seem to be doing is a lot CYA and apologising to their foreign allies for the embarrassment that it is causing.

Supposedly, with all the different investigative agencies in the USA you would think they would be hot on the trail and out to capture and stop this form of cyber terrorism. 

Or is all the Crime investigation TV Shows that Hollywood churn out showing how wonderful the FBI, CIA, NCIS, CSI, Law and Order and a hundred other set of initials just a bunch of hyped up Hooee !    Or in reality  are they just a waste of space with a badge and a gun ?

Of course there is the possibility that these are State sponsored leaks and nobody in Washington gives a Rats !

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I wonder how they got the material?

The nine most startling leaks here (from The Daily Beast):

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- … e-secrets/

2. Michael Buchman profile image60
    Michael Buchmanposted 13 years ago

The Drudge Report this morning posts an informative article concerning your questions.  The 22 yr old Soldier responsible for copy and dispersement is now in solitary confinement awaiting court marshall.  NYT just published its first article this morning based on informatin from these leaks.  It is one of many to come.  Also referenced on the Drudge Report.

Although steps are being taken to revise current procedures and policy...this is not the first time of this same occurance.  Just a couple of months ago...Wikileaks published similar articles.  This administration did absolutely nothing about it.

In case you haven't noticed...this administration doesn't seem to be concerned about National Security or world standing.  He is too busy apologizing for us and pushing his progressive agenda.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You may have better luck discovering (and understanding) the truth if you leave your political bias out of the search.  You seem to have formulated your own version of the situation without much objective research.

2. profile image0
      Texasbetaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I praise Wikileaks. This is a good thing.

1. profile image0
        Longhunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your praise of Wikileaks speaks volumes, Beta.

How is this a good thing when it may very well get people killed, not just them but their families as well?

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

texas and I can agree.

Longhunter - these "people" who are being killed are being paid by stolen money from citizens, and they are invading foreign countries for no reason.

Last time i checked no one was actually "dying for their country" in Iraq, they were dying because of lies spouted off by W.

1. profile image0
          Longhunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that's it, it's W's fault once again. Good Lord! You two sound like a couple of 7 year old kids, blaming everything on someone else. "HE DID IT! HE DID IT! IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT!!!" I have a 2-1/2 year old that takes more responsibility for his own actions than Obama does.

You and beta are going to have to wake up and realize we're two years into The Chosen One's administration. It's time for you and Obama to MAN UP and take some responsibility for your side's actions.

3. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Apparently all you need is a memory stick and a Lady GaGa CD

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -case.html

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I dunno. With 500,000 to 600,000 people having access to Siprinet, I think identifying this "bad apple" private Bradley Manning this quickly is pretty good.

But, as usual, all the blame will fall on Obama. Even though all of this information-sharing is the direct result of 9/11. Oh, right -- that was Obama's fault, too.

Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry but I think this is only the tiny tip of a much bigger iceberg, and discovering and naming one little bad apple out of the barrel seems like throwing a little fish to quieten the media to take the pressure off the powers to be.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77

BTW, if you read any of the excerpts from these leaked cables, it is patently clear that the world is a minefield. Allies and enemies are not clear (we're not in WWII anymore, Toto). Nuclear and terrorist threats don't come only from known "bad guys" like during the Cold War.

The sheer complexity, double-crossing and triple-crossing of international relations is mind-boggling ...and frightening.

The thought of the US adopting a swaggering John Wayne attitude in the face of this reality is even more frightening.

But hey. On a positive note lol these external threats ain't nuthin' compared to what our POTUS faces daily in Congress. lol

6. Mighty Mom profile image77

It is absolutely the tip of a much bigger iceberg. These are WORLD leaders we're talking about. They're talking about POWER CONFLICTS that could BLOW UP ENTIRE NATIONS.

If this 23-year-old kid did what he bragged he did, he is guilty of treason. If others collaborated with him, they are guilty of treason as well.

7. profile image0
    awesome77posted 13 years ago

I will urge caution to all speculations, as I smell a trap! For whom I have no idea! It is too convenient to be real! Wikileaks is based in a western country and can be closed, if the threat to national security is so real as advertised!

The people behind wikileaks are as mysterious as one can be! It is too easy and convenient and I smell double games just like they fooled Russia into committing bankruptcy!

1. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If We Lose our Internet Freedoms Because of Wikileaks, You Should At Least Know Why

by Scott Creighton
      Global Research, December 11, 2010

Just a little more background on the “hero” Jullian Assange and Wikileaks…

Wikileaks was started up in Dec. of 2006. Oddly enough, as a supposed “leak” site, a dissident site, it was given a great deal of immediate mainstream attention from the likes of the Washington Post, TIME magazine, and even Cass Sunstein the now Obama administration official who wrote a paper on how to “cognitively infiltrate” dissident groups in order to steer them in a direction that is useful to the powers that be.

The TIME magazine article is curious because it seems that right off the bat they were telling us how to interpret Wikileaks in such a way that sounded strangely familiar to George W. Bush back just after 9/11…

“By March, more than one million leaked documents from governments and corporations in Asia, the Middle East, sub-Saharan Africa and the former Soviet Bloc will be available online in a bold new collective experiment in whistle-blowing. That is, of course, as long as you don’t accept any of the conspiracy theories brewing that Wikileaks.org could be a front for the CIA or some other intelligence agency.” TIME Jan. 2007 (emphasis added)

Now remember and read closely… this article was written PRIOR to Wikileaks’ first big “leak”, which according to the article was to  occur sometime in March of 2007.

So why would TIME magazine be writing about them in the first place if they hadn’t done anything yet?"

It's interesting to watch WHO is talking "kill Assange" "He's a traitor", etc
      It's a backdoor, "patriotic" way to put the chains on the Internet!
      Same as they did with the Patriot Act.

Henry Kissinger theory: Make them so scared (or angry), they will BEG you to take away their freedoms.

8. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/w … s/19736083

Republican Rep. Peter King, the ranking GOP member on the House Homeland Security Committee, urged the State Department to designate WikiLeaks a "foreign terrorist organization," saying in a statement that it "posed a clear and present danger to the national security of the United States." And Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, dismissed WikiLeaks' founder Julian Assange's claim to be acting in the public interest, calling the release a "reckless action which jeopardizes lives."

Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

These comments seem to reinforce my point, the authorities obviously know who runs and operates WikiLeaks and who in part is behind many of the leaks.

Given the powers and resources available to the powers that be my question is why have they simply not moved in and shut them down ?

It seems to me that there is another angeda here, a polical one... Someone somewhere in High Government or one of the senior agencies wants this information out there my second question is why ?

1. canadawest99 profile image60
        canadawest99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Probably allowed the leak to make it a national security issue, then restrict freedoms even more.  Been happening for a decade now.

And I don't buy the argument that the leaks put people's lives in danger.  Politicians do that all by themselves by their very decisions.   Having the public know about it just reinforces our suspicion that gov'ts around the world are doing the very things they deny.

9. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

lovemychris - Don't you think that there is a good chance this could blow up in their faces? Assuming you are right that this is all an elaborate deception. Other then the usual suspects for fear mongering I see quite a few folks feeling hopeful that this could bring about some real change. I for one would love it! big_smile

1. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What would the change be though? More or less freedom?
      I agree with Merlin and canada:
      "Someone somewhere in High Government or one of the senior agencies wants this information out there my second question is why ?"
      and;
      "Probably allowed the leak to make it a national security issue, then restrict freedoms even more."

And look at this, what someone posted on another site:

"The 'net (and it isn't called that for nothing) was created as a military communications/intelligence gathering tool- and so it remains today. ALL the traffic on the web is monitored and it gets sorted, categorized, and filed back at Langley for study and possible current or future use. Anyone who believes there or ever has been a "free and open" Internet- anymore than there is a "free press"- is sadly deluding themselves.
      If you think of lab animals being subjected to various stimuli and their reactions observed and alterations to policy and their environment made on that basis, you will get the idea..."

Ugh.....it makes sense.
      And since the 90's, I've been saying; "Look what the internet has done! exposed so many secrets! How great it is!" blah blah blah

But nothing that isn't "allowed" to be out there.

So what IS the point?

10. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

OH! Good Question!:

"Why can't Wikileaks, with all its amazing resources, break any 9/11 stories?"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)