How do you Dems and libs feel about this?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I would like your feedback on this article from a prestigious newspaper that endorsed Obama:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/ … 2#comments

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A woman president?  HAHAHA!  Most of them don't even play golf!

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ever the misogynist.

2. Doug Hughes profile image61
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Habee - I wrote a letter to the White House last week indicating my displeasure with the prospect that the Bush Tax cuts will be extended for the wealthiest 3 percent of this country. I promised that I would ACTIVELY support a liberal candidate in the primaries if Obama caved - and the prediction is - he will.  At the moment, the GOP is holding extended unemployment and the START treaty hostage to one issue - tax cuts for the riches Americans. If Obama can't play high-stakes poker, then I want a liberal president who will represent the lower 97%, and doesn't mind using brass knuckles in a fight.

I am angry now. I will always like Obama, but he turned out to be too much Sammy Davis Jr. and not enough Mohammed Ali. Conservative voters seem oblivious to the fact that the GOP leadership is on the leash of the wealthiest 3 percent - and that 3 % is the greedy club that created the economic mess that Obama hasn't cleaned up in 2 years and isn't being allowed to clean up. The GOP has used the fillibuser to block progress .

Any candidate I will support has to have as a priority cleaning up the economy. But he/she  has to be willing to set aside the mop and deck the GOP or anyone in thrall to special interests if they stand between him/her and getting the job done. So I'm shopping for a fighter. If Hill is that person, she didn't show it in 2008 - but she's learned since then.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why does everyone want the rich to be taxed more?

To make it "fair"?

Why not take the alternate route: tax us as little as the rich get taxed!

That'd be better!

2. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just told my husband today that if Obama caves on extending the tax cuts for the wealthy he will have finally lost me.  I'm not ready to jump on the Hillary bandwagon, though. 

Obama better grow a spine and persuade the Senate Democrats to do the right thing for once, or he's toast.

3. William R. Wilson profile image61
      William R. Wilsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's just an opinion piece.  You've said it before - Obama's hopes depend on how the economy's doing in 2012.  It also depends on how well he's able to mobilize voters and volunteers, which was the secret to his success and is really the secret to all successful campaigns.  He did a bangup job of it in 2008, maybe he can do it again. 

Besides, doesn't the incumbent always get the nomination?

1. habee profile image92

I still think that, William. I was just a little surprised to see so many Dems on blogs and in articles clamoring for Hil to run in 2012. I'm not a registered Democrat, so I just wanted to see what Hub Dems thought.

Franklin Pierce didn't win his party's nomination. And remember, Teddie challenged Carter when Carter was the incumbent.

2. canadawest99 profile image59
    canadawest99posted 13 years ago

Doesn't matter if they elect a brick, you are going to get more of the same antics and the average person loses.

3. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

I think Hillary is plenty capable of the job. The only reason I think she would do better than Obama is because she has more political power.

4. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

You all know how I feel about it!
    Also, I think that Bill's image has mellowed quite a bit since the 2008 primaries. I don't think he's considered a "liability" anymore (not that he ever was or should have been viewed that way!)

5. Jeff Berndt profile image71
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I supported Barack over Hillary because I thought Hillary would have been too polarizing.

I guess the joke's on me! smile

Seriously, though, I don't think it would have mattered which Democrat won the presidency in '08; the GOP would have stonewalled and sandbagged and obstructed just as hard.

6. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it? And yes, the GOP would have stonewalled whoever became POTUS.
    But given the short attention span and fickleness of the American people, shouldn't we be looking only as far as UP TO the next 2 years?
    The GOP has a 2-year window. They either need to make something real happen or the populace will reverse course and throw THEM out in 2012.
    Who knows how "our" mood will be vis a vis presidential candidate by then!

7. Michael Buchman profile image60
    Michael Buchmanposted 13 years ago

It amazes me that Libs are so eager to blame the GOP for their financial woes. 

There is more money shifted to the Unions than the loss of tax revenue of the top 3% your concerned about.  Those funds are taken directly out of the pockets of the 97%.

It also amazes me that you don't realize the top 3% keep most of the industries running.

I'm also a Dem and I even know that.  The financial woes date back 25 yrs. Both Dems and Rep are responsible.  You give Bush too much credit.

We really need to blame ourselves as we're the ones who keep voting these turn-coats back into office.  Thats why I've gone Independent and will vote for the man from now on.

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I really appreciate your feedback. I'm a registered Republican, but I don't always vote that way. I voted for Ross Perot, Bill, and a lot of Dems in other races. While I don't agree with all of Hillary's views, I could get behind her. I haven't found a candidate yet with whose views I agree 100%. I think she would be able to get something accomplished because she has leadership skills and big hairy ovaries. If Obama is the Dem in 2012, I won't vote for him. If Palin or another kook is the Rep, I won't support them, either.

Gotta link to those "hairy ovaries"?

1. habee profile image92

They look a lot like mine. Wanna see mine?? Oh...never mind...

Try Nair!  It worked on my nose hair.

1. habee profile image92

Naahhh...I like em big 'n' hairy - just like I like my men! lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)